The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

20 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I didn't say it was the reason we lost. You seem to like defending every little detail of what you see, good for you but I really don't need you to spell your version of events out to me. I have watched Kulak for a few years now and as much as he tries to impress I see him out of positions lots, last night on that goal was only one time of a few. As far as Kulak or Bartjkowski I believe I have said neither, thus a suggested trade. Waive them if you think that would be better. We need a better 3rd pairing was the only point I was making.

FYI you have no idea what his trade value is so quit pretending you do.

Whatever.  I only defend Kulak on the one goal he was on for, saying that he was only one player out there, while the rest of the team was on the same side of the ice.  The rest of his game, all 7+ minutes, was low event.  What you hope for from a 3rd pairing.

If you can provide a comp that was used in a trade, great.  Otherwise, a player not even picked for free in an expansion draft has very little trade value.  They waived Wotherspoon over him this fall, but that doesn't mean he couldn't easily pass through waivers.  In other words, very low trade value.  What's the going rate for a player that's as bad as you say?  Franson got $1m after a PTO, and that's probably a fair comp to Stone.  So Stone at 3x3.5m doesn't exactly scream trade value.    

We have bigger problems than the 3rd pairing defense.  4th line.  Bennett's play.  Ferland's inconsistent play.  Lazar unable to finish.  Taking too many penalties.  Lack of 5v5 scoring.    

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Whatever.  I only defend Kulak on the one goal he was on for, saying that he was only one player out there, while the rest of the team was on the same side of the ice.  The rest of his game, all 7+ minutes, was low event.  What you hope for from a 3rd pairing.

If you can provide a comp that was used in a trade, great.  Otherwise, a player not even picked for free in an expansion draft has very little trade value.  They waived Wotherspoon over him this fall, but that doesn't mean he couldn't easily pass through waivers.  In other words, very low trade value.  What's the going rate for a player that's as bad as you say?  Franson got $1m after a PTO, and that's probably a fair comp to Stone.  So Stone at 3x3.5m doesn't exactly scream trade value.    

We have bigger problems than the 3rd pairing defense.  4th line.  Bennett's play.  Ferland's inconsistent play.  Lazar unable to finish.  Taking too many penalties.  Lack of 5v5 scoring.    

Fix things one at a time. I'm not all that worried about our forward lines once GG comes to some realizations. The talent is here just not in the right arrangement IMO. I see a real weakness with our 3rd pairing which needs fixing and could done easier than finding a top line RW.

LV gave Vadim Shipychov's agents permission to look for a trade.

I wonder if they would take Brouwer for him, or Stajan.

57 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

LV gave Vadim Shipychov's agents permission to look for a trade.

I wonder if they would take Brouwer for him, or Stajan.

Maybe that's why Brouwer and Stajan has been getting so much ice time. Showcased for a trade.

3 minutes ago, Zirakzigil said:

Im guessing the Knights would want a top 6 center coming back, something the Flames dont have excess of. 

A top6 center for a a guy making $4.5m in the minors, that's not happening. At this point I think they would be happy to get an asset for a guy who is probably going back to Russia if he doesn't land with an NHL team in the next week or two.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

A top6 center for a a guy making $4.5m in the minors, that's not happening. At this point I think they would be happy to get an asset for a guy who is probably going back to Russia if he doesn't land with an NHL team in the next week or two.

Hes not in the minors and Im sure Vegas would rather have the 4.5mil in cap space over taking a cap dump, which is all Stajan or Brouwer are. 

5 minutes ago, Zirakzigil said:

Hes not in the minors and Im sure Vegas would rather have the 4.5mil in cap space over taking a cap dump, which is all Stajan or Brouwer are. 

He was assigned to the minors a day or so ago but hasn't reported there yet.

I get what you are saying, but I wouldn't offer much for a 30 year old rookie who can't even make an expansion team.

The only reason I have any interest at all in the player, is that this team is struggling to score and he is skilled, but his contract isn't great.

I don't see the need. I get the team is struggling to score but I don't see fixing it by acquiring someone who has yet to prove he can score in the NHL. 

Flames already have projects, they need some proven scoring. 

Ho-sang got sent down aswell. Right shot right wing. Thoughts?

Personally I don't really like the guy, seems like a bad addition to the locker room. Would probably cost too much aswell, but I could see him succeeding here.

I don't see the Flames trading anyone anytime soon. As GG gets the talent sorted out I think the scoring will come. If Jagr becomes a problem they may want to consider a trade or start considering a few of our prospect like Mangiapane and Foo.

10 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Ho-sang got sent down aswell. Right shot right wing. Thoughts?

Personally I don't really like the guy, seems like a bad addition to the locker room. Would probably cost too much aswell, but I could see him succeeding here.

I agree with you, personally not a huge fan. Got lots of talent but the attitude questions have been there for so long and don't seem to be getting better. Don't really see it being a worthwhile risk personally as price would still be high 

The Habs need Brouwer and Stajan; they are reeling.  Send us Galchenyuk.  We'll even include one of Kylington, Andersson or Klimchuk.

Brouwer gives them the missing grit they need.  Stajan gives them the utility center.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The Habs need Brouwer and Stajan; they are reeling.  Send us Galchenyuk.  We'll even include one of Kylington, Andersson or Klimchuk.

Brouwer gives them the missing grit they need.  Stajan gives them the utility center.

We are too stacked on LW/C.  Don't need Galchenyuk.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We are too stacked on LW/C.  Don't need Galchenyuk.

I think that is too position focused

Flames are struggling to score. I don' think we can say they don't "need" someone who has scored 30 in the league, especially if you can get him for cheap. Probably can't so I don't see it happening but with their lack of scoring I don't think they can get picky with position. Players can move around. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think that is too position focused

Flames are struggling to score. I don' think we can say they don't "need" someone who has scored 30 in the league, especially if you can get him for cheap. Probably can't so I don't see it happening but with their lack of scoring I don't think they can get picky with position. Players can move around. 

MTL is struggling to score.  We are not really.  We are more like struggling with line combos and one remedy we require is a top tier RW.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

MTL is struggling to score.  We are not really.  We are more like struggling with line combos and one remedy we require is a top tier RW.

I don't agree personally. 8th worst goals for/60 mins in the league 5 on 5 which is consistent with where they finished last year and I see the same offensive issues you saw last year with a lack of finish on chances, lack of getting to hard scoring areas etc etc.

Maybe i'm alone in that, but I think its far more than a line combo issue, its a talent/execution issue. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We are actually worse than last year in goals score at the exact same point in the season.

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Offseason trade:

To MTL- Brodie

To CGY-Pacioretty

Thoughts?

Do we need another LW?

and why do we want to trade 1 of our core D for a LW?

• Like 1

This team needs more scoring. Any of Tkachuk, Gaudreau or Pacioretty could play RW. I don't want to trade Brodie, but Gio has a tough contract to move and you aren't moving Hamilton. Brodie will also give you a better return than Hamonic. Also I would think Valimaki, Kylington and Andersson will be knocking on the door next year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't agree personally. 8th worst goals for/60 mins in the league 5 on 5 which is consistent with where they finished last year and I see the same offensive issues you saw last year with a lack of finish on chances, lack of getting to hard scoring areas etc etc.

Maybe i'm alone in that, but I think its far more than a line combo issue, its a talent/execution issue. 

I agree for what it's worth, lol

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Offseason trade:

To MTL- Brodie

To CGY-Pacioretty

Thoughts?

Brodie looks like he may have a very good season so I would say no. I think the scoring will come now that GG is starting to get the lines better set up IMO. The 3M line is coming alive and JG and SM will work well enough with either Ferland or Jagr. All eyes will be on Jankowski and Bennett but let's let them get a few games in and see if there is some chemistry there. Long winded way of saying no to Pacioretty.

20 hours ago, cross16 said:

GG needs to get the talent matched up better than he has so far. I agree with the lack of finish, we need more down dirty goals than fancy looking ones.

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This team needs more scoring. Any of Tkachuk, Gaudreau or Pacioretty could play RW. I don't want to trade Brodie, but Gio has a tough contract to move and you aren't moving Hamilton. Brodie will also give you a better return than Hamonic. Also I would think Valimaki, Kylington and Andersson will be knocking on the door next year.

Brodie is the wrong place to make that change.  He's been making a lot of mental mistakes, but his offensive instincts are pretty good.  There are chances that he looks for the perfect play when he has possession (nobody can touch him), but he will skate out of the danger area and just pass it.  He's getting away from what got him points early in the season.

I would look only at Patches if it was a steal or a way of getting rid of a vet that we don't need.  Straight up for Brouwer?  Sure.  The salaries balance out, and we get out from under it a year sooner.  Galchenyuk for prospects + Stajan or Brouwer?  Sure.  Stone?  Why not.  I think if anything, we could replace Stone's minutes without crippling the team.