The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

21 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Offseason trade:

To MTL- Brodie

To CGY-Pacioretty

Thoughts?

If we need more scoring, then it doesn't make sense to trade our most offensive Dman. Only player I want from MTL is Price.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we need more scoring, then it doesn't make sense to trade our most offensive Dman. Only player I want from MTL is Price.

We can afford $10.5 million x 8?

3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

We can afford $10.5 million x 8?

Brouwer, Stajan, and Smith is $10-mil right there.  Backlund would obviously be a luxury we cannot afford past this season but there are reasons to believe Jankowski can emerge as a second line C by next year.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Brouwer, Stajan, and Smith is $10-mil right there.  Backlund would obviously be a luxury we cannot afford past this season but there are reasons to believe Jankowski can emerge as a second line C by next year.

Say we do that & let Backlund walk we survive maybe 2 years. Then we have 22 million to offer Bennett, Tkachuk, Brodie, Hamonic & 4 more players to get to 23.

I wish I had your faith in the farm system to replace all that. BTW, that assumes we don't re-up Janko or any FA be it RFA or UFA after this season.

We could afford Price this year & maybe even next but unless you really expect a huge growth in the economy that's a lot to invest in 1 player (even if not a 30+ goalie that gets paid most of his contract in bonuses even if there were a stoppage). Even the last years the bonus & base = 7.5 against the cap for a guy that will be 39.

& we say the Oilers window is short. :lol:

I suggest trying to trade Stone at the end of this season.

Try to recover a draft pick(s).

By that time, his $3.5M X 2 year contract isn't too much of a barrier, and the Modified NTC blocks a trade to only 15 teams.

What's the going rate for a #4/5 RHRD?

Could he return a 2nd?

I feel confident that Andersson can play effectively at 3rd pairing RD for the Flames by the end of this year.

If so, Stone may be available as soon as the TDL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Say we do that & let Backlund walk we survive maybe 2 years. Then we have 22 million to offer Bennett, Tkachuk, Brodie, Hamonic & 4 more players to get to 23.

I wish I had your faith in the farm system to replace all that. BTW, that assumes we don't re-up Janko or any FA be it RFA or UFA after this season.

We could afford Price this year & maybe even next but unless you really expect a huge growth in the economy that's a lot to invest in 1 player (even if not a 30+ goalie that gets paid most of his contract in bonuses even if there were a stoppage). Even the last years the bonus & base = 7.5 against the cap for a guy that will be 39.

& we say the Oilers window is short. :lol:

We get Price.  We win the Cup.  It's all worth it.

58 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We get Price.  We win the Cup.  It's all worth it.

I realize he is a very good goalie but he has never won the cup. There is no reason to believe he would auto bring us one.

We have a goalie now who is playing lights out and much better than Price is so far this season, and we can barely keep above .500

I wonder what it would take to pry Kevin Dineen out of Chicago to replace one of our assistant coaches. It would be interesting what changes he could bring to our PP. Also the Flame franchise grooming and adding a little honest pressure to GG.

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I suggest trying to trade Stone at the end of this season.

Try to recover a draft pick(s).

By that time, his $3.5M X 2 year contract isn't too much of a barrier, and the Modified NTC blocks a trade to only 15 teams.

What's the going rate for a #4/5 RHRD?

Could he return a 2nd?

I feel confident that Andersson can play effectively at 3rd pairing RD for the Flames by the end of this year.

If so, Stone may be available as soon as the TDL.

I think you look at teams that are suffering right now.  Teams missing a key piece on the backend, like, I don't know, maybe ANAHEIM? :D

Sorry, Church Lady reference there.

Anaheim lost two players long term today.  I would gladly move Stone for any of their forwards.  Wagner, Case, Shaw, Ritchie...Cogs.

Maybe Montreal?  Patches for Stone?  Stone for Galc.?  

IMO if this team is gonna get a top 6 W via trade, it comes at the expense of a top 4 d. My thought is Brodie would have to go (I don't want him to be traded in all honesty though). This is my thought because Gio's age and contract will be hard to move, as good as he is. They won't move Hamilton, and Hamonic won't get you the return that Brodie will. Obviously I can't see a trade happening until June given how hard it is to make a move during the season. But another name I wonder about is Blake Wheeler, hes got one year left at 5.6 this upcoming summer. Jets typically aren't a cap team and with Laine's upcoming extension I wonder if they'd move their captain for Brodie. This deal would fill a need for both clubs

• Like 1

This team needs another impact forward. Either Bennett develops into one of they need to trade/sign one. Its painfully obvious right now that the offense just isnt there. 

with how Stone and Bartowski have looked why would anyone feel comfortable dealing a Dman at this point? 

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

with how Stone and Bartowski have looked why would anyone feel comfortable dealing a Dman at this point? 

Stone looks so disinterested out there.  He's not even close to pushing for top 4 minutes.  

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I thought that bringing up Andersson or Kylington, or even playing Kulak might solidify Stone's play.  What did we get last game 8 minutes of Kulak?

My bigger concern is where we are using Stone.  The PK seems to be an issue for him.  Maybe he's not good at defensing and is better at PP?  Or maybe they should move him to the LD and bring in Andersson.

I may be reading your post wrong, but if you are asking if we should deal a D prospect, I woud say no.  If you mean dealing Stone, I am all for it, as my previous post implies.

Anaheim is reeling.  Montreal just sucks.  Either needs help somewhere.  Stone for Patches.  Stone for Wagner or Case or Shaw?  Additiona by subtraction at this point.  Nce to have depth, but it isn't showing.  Would rather have RW depth or at least have guys that show better than our current bottom 6.

The list of what we need is high an the players that many want to trade are low. Brouwer, Stajan,Stone,Bart get you nothing in return. Bennett is turning out to be a bust, Lazar is a bust, Janko is invisible, Brodie, Hammer, Hamilton have been below average. The rest have been average.

Chucky, Johhny, Mony and Smith there is your team.  Many believed that just a little better goal tending we could be a contender, Goal tending has been out standing behind a piss poor hockey club.

23 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The list of what we need is high an the players that many want to trade are low. Brouwer, Stajan,Stone,Bart get you nothing in return. Bennett is turning out to be a bust, Lazar is a bust, Janko is invisible, Brodie, Hammer, Hamilton have been below average. The rest have been average.

Chucky, Johhny, Mony and Smith there is your team.  Many believed that just a little better goal tending we could be a contender, Goal tending has been out standing behind a piss poor hockey club.

It is a long season tmac, don't torture yourself to much at the beginning.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I thought that bringing up Andersson or Kylington, or even playing Kulak might solidify Stone's play.  What did we get last game 8 minutes of Kulak?

My bigger concern is where we are using Stone.  The PK seems to be an issue for him.  Maybe he's not good at defensing and is better at PP?  Or maybe they should move him to the LD and bring in Andersson.

I may be reading your post wrong, but if you are asking if we should deal a D prospect, I woud say no.  If you mean dealing Stone, I am all for it, as my previous post implies.

Anaheim is reeling.  Montreal just sucks.  Either needs help somewhere.  Stone for Patches.  Stone for Wagner or Case or Shaw?  Additiona by subtraction at this point.  Nce to have depth, but it isn't showing.  Would rather have RW depth or at least have guys that show better than our current bottom 6.

My point was if you deal from the top 4 you have to elevate stone or Bartowski and I think that would not make you a better team

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

My point was if you deal from the top 4 you have to elevate stone or Bartowski and I think that would not make you a better team

I would dearly love to solve the problems with RW.  Stone doesn;t look capable of handling top 4 now, so no I wouldn;t trade any off our top 4.  

I'm really starting to worry about our defensive depth in the NHL.  Or at least how we are using it.  I don't think Andersson is a stud or anything, but Stone looks like he has the Wideman disease; playing in a spot below your believed talent level.  Maybe it's just his partner(s), but he doesn't look good.  Before he gets traded, they need to see if another player would make the difference.  Or not.

The bottom half of our lineup is cluttered with just-okay players.  Versteeg is fine, but he is often way too cute with the puck.  Stajan is done.  For every play he does well, he make about 5 that make you curse him.  Brouwer, I won't go beyond the lack of an offensive game.  Glass, well it's Glass.  Not expecting anything other than a tough guy.  Bennett is playing like he has no linemates.  

We need to move on from marginal players.  Everywhere around the league you have callups being given opportunity and eventually showing their value.  Here we have callups that need to beat out players that aren't good, but are preferred.  Janko has not been any worse in two games than Stajan has been the entire season so far.  Yet, here we are.  

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would dearly love to solve the problems with RW.  Stone doesn;t look capable of handling top 4 now, so no I wouldn;t trade any off our top 4.  

I'm really starting to worry about our defensive depth in the NHL.  Or at least how we are using it.  I don't think Andersson is a stud or anything, but Stone looks like he has the Wideman disease; playing in a spot below your believed talent level.  Maybe it's just his partner(s), but he doesn't look good.  Before he gets traded, they need to see if another player would make the difference.  Or not.

The bottom half of our lineup is cluttered with just-okay players.  Versteeg is fine, but he is often way too cute with the puck.  Stajan is done.  For every play he does well, he make about 5 that make you curse him.  Brouwer, I won't go beyond the lack of an offensive game.  Glass, well it's Glass.  Not expecting anything other than a tough guy.  Bennett is playing like he has no linemates.  

We need to move on from marginal players.  Everywhere around the league you have callups being given opportunity and eventually showing their value.  Here we have callups that need to beat out players that aren't good, but are preferred.  Janko has not been any worse in two games than Stajan has been the entire season so far.  Yet, here we are.  

Here we are, what ? I don't see Jankowski going back down, moving Bennett over to wing solves that situation.

Why is everyone so worried about Stone ? I thought his play has been coming around, maybe playing with a different partner every 3 games throws him off.

As far as moving on from marginal players I don't see it happening and I'm not sure it needs to should they get the top 9 working properly.

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Here we are, what ? I don't see Jankowski going back down, moving Bennett over to wing solves that situation.

Why is everyone so worried about Stone ? I thought his play has been coming around, maybe playing with a different partner every 3 games throws him off.

As far as moving on from marginal players I don't see it happening and I'm not sure it needs to should they get the top 9 working properly.

In case you hadn;t noticed, no roster moves have been made by the Flames.  Jagr is likely in on Sunday and a player needs to come off.  Janko (and Tkachuk?) are the only ones that can be done immediately.  Whether Janko deserves to be here or not, here we are.  Still time to waive a player, but I'm not that confident.  Getting less than 8 minutes in a game at home should give you some indication.

Stone.  Let me see.  On for 6 goals against on 9 PK's with Gio in the last 3 games.  Routinely is part of the worst pairing on the ice.  If that's the result of his partners, then get rid of them.  Easy enough.  But Stone has only had two partners in 11 games.  7 in a row with Bart.  3 in a row with Kulak, then the latest back with Bart. 

I know the coach loves him some marginal players.  So, you are probably right.  If BT is fine with the makeup, then we'll go with the marginal players over exciting players.

We'll see what the mindset is when Jagr gets back on the ice.  Player gets waived or Janko gets sent down.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

In case you hadn;t noticed, no roster moves have been made by the Flames.  Jagr is likely in on Sunday and a player needs to come off.  Janko (and Tkachuk?) are the only ones that can be done immediately.  Whether Janko deserves to be here or not, here we are.  Still time to waive a player, but I'm not that confident.  Getting less than 8 minutes in a game at home should give you some indication.

Stone.  Let me see.  On for 6 goals against on 9 PK's with Gio in the last 3 games.  Routinely is part of the worst pairing on the ice.  If that's the result of his partners, then get rid of them.  Easy enough.  But Stone has only had two partners in 11 games.  7 in a row with Bart.  3 in a row with Kulak, then the latest back with Bart. 

I know the coach loves him some marginal players.  So, you are probably right.  If BT is fine with the makeup, then we'll go with the marginal players over exciting players.

We'll see what the mindset is when Jagr gets back on the ice.  Player gets waived or Janko gets sent down.

You seem to know this timing stuff and I don't pretend to know. I said earlier I would send Hamilton to Stockton and be done with him. I'm not sure I would rush Jagr back ifhe isn't 100%.

Are you talking about Jankowski getting less than 8 minutes being some kind of indication for something ?

I guess I don't dissect all the segments of the game as you do but I thought Stone was looking better these last few games. Would you say all these goals against would be his fault ? I have been on record that I don't think Bartkowski or Kulak are the answers.

Ask yourself this as it pertains to Stajan. Here is a player that has been instrumental throughout your rebuilding in the last season of his contract, respected by his team mates and you dump him. Would you do that or platoon him and show the player some respect ?

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

You seem to know this timing stuff and I don't pretend to know. I said earlier I would send Hamilton to Stockton and be done with him. I'm not sure I would rush Jagr back ifhe isn't 100%.

Are you talking about Jankowski getting less than 8 minutes being some kind of indication for something ?

I guess I don't dissect all the segments of the game as you do but I thought Stone was looking better these last few games. Would you say all these goals against would be his fault ? I have been on record that I don't think Bartkowski or Kulak are the answers.

Ask yourself this as it pertains to Stajan. Here is a player that has been instrumental throughout your rebuilding in the last season of his contract, respected by his team mates and you dump him. Would you do that or platoon him and show the player some respect ?

The point is that a player has to be waived and clear before he gets sent to the AHL.  That takes a day.  If Jagr starts on Sunday, somebody has to go.  Running out of time to waive a player, if not already too late.  That is all.

I look at his ice times over the last 3 games.  11, 12 then 8 minutes.  That's usually a sign.  Kulak jumped from 8 to 14 then dropped to 9.  Then he sat out. 

Stajan is an interesting case.  Much maligned by fans.  Part of a previous regime's attempt to solidify the team.   Plays wherever he's told to.  Mostly ineffective in games.  Matt the person deserves respect.  Matt the hockey player needs to be shown the respect in how they move on from him.  He's been given the healthy scratch.  You want to do that, then I have no problem with keeping him for depth for the playoffs.  You want to keep him in the lineup every night because he paid his dues to the country club?  Okay, fine.  Lots of guys like that on teams, though most of them only play part of the season.  

What I find interesting is that you have talked about moving on from Stajan yourself, yet somehow you now are calling me out.     

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The point is that a player has to be waived and clear before he gets sent to the AHL.  That takes a day.  If Jagr starts on Sunday, somebody has to go.  Running out of time to waive a player, if not already too late.  That is all.

I look at his ice times over the last 3 games.  11, 12 then 8 minutes.  That's usually a sign.  Kulak jumped from 8 to 14 then dropped to 9.  Then he sat out. 

Stajan is an interesting case.  Much maligned by fans.  Part of a previous regime's attempt to solidify the team.   Plays wherever he's told to.  Mostly ineffective in games.  Matt the person deserves respect.  Matt the hockey player needs to be shown the respect in how they move on from him.  He's been given the healthy scratch.  You want to do that, then I have no problem with keeping him for depth for the playoffs.  You want to keep him in the lineup every night because he paid his dues to the country club?  Okay, fine.  Lots of guys like that on teams, though most of them only play part of the season.  

What I find interesting is that you have talked about moving on from Stajan yourself, yet somehow you now are calling me out.     

I don't know if minutes are a good measure indicating a move, all games have their circumstances and coaches lean to certain players given their experience levels. Like I said the fact that GG went with moving Bennett out to the wing tells me they are making room for Jankowski permanently.

Don't get me wrong, I wish BT would have traded Stajan 2 years ago but since he didn't show some class and ride it out. I would platoon him with Lazar and let Lazar know where he goes from here is up to him.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I don't know if minutes are a good measure indicating a move, all games have their circumstances and coaches lean to certain players given their experience levels. Like I said the fact that GG went with moving Bennett out to the wing tells me they are making room for Jankowski permanently.

Don't get me wrong, I wish BT would have traded Stajan 2 years ago but since he didn't show some class and ride it out. I would platoon him with Lazar and let Lazar know where he goes from here is up to him.

With Gully, minutes tend to be very telling.  Whatever.  Bennett played very little too.

I find today's practice lines interesting.

JH-Mony-Ferland

3M

Bennett-Janko-Jagr

Versteeg-Lazar-Brouwer

Extra line of Glass-Stajan-Hamilton

Jagr taking a full practice on the line he will likely play 5v5 with.  Yet, Gully says he is day to day and they will decide Sunday.  I don't get it.  You can make the decision regardless of Jagr's playing tomorrow unless you simply send down Janko.  Waive a player today.  Have a 13th F and Jagr.  No Jagr, you move up Lazar to RW and replace him on Versteeg line with someone who wasn;t sent down.  Jagr plays, you go with the practice lines.  Not rocket science BT/GG.  Somebody is going to have hurt feelings.     

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

With Gully, minutes tend to be very telling.  Whatever.  Bennett played very little too.

I find today's practice lines interesting.

JH-Mony-Ferland

3M

Bennett-Janko-Jagr

Versteeg-Lazar-Brouwer

Extra line of Glass-Stajan-Hamilton

Jagr taking a full practice on the line he will likely play 5v5 with.  Yet, Gully says he is day to day and they will decide Sunday.  I don't get it.  You can make the decision regardless of Jagr's playing tomorrow unless you simply send down Janko.  Waive a player today.  Have a 13th F and Jagr.  No Jagr, you move up Lazar to RW and replace him on Versteeg line with someone who wasn;t sent down.  Jagr plays, you go with the practice lines.  Not rocket science BT/GG.  Somebody is going to have hurt feelings.     

Would it matter if Jagr isn't off the IR yet ? I don't know maybe they are making that decision today's practise.