The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

He was drafted by Boston yes.

Boston needs help on defense and Russell provides that, with Brodie getting close to returning Russell has less of a role here.

Eriksson helps with secondary scoring which is an area I could see us having an issue with. Boston has been rumored to be looking to move Eriksson.

Russell straight up doesn't net you Eriksson. Colborne loses his role somewhat by bringing Eriksson thus making him very moveable.

The Bruins won't be interested in our more expensive guys like Stajan, Raymond or Engelland.

If it doesn't work out and we are on the outside of the playoff picture, you turn around and move Eriksson pretty easily at the deadline.

Eriksson plays RW, but is a LHS, much like Frolik and Hudler.  I don't think he has plated LW before.

I am more concerned about his price tag.  Next season is going to be an expensive year for the Flames with Gio's deal, Mony/Johnny's new deals and possibly needing to keep Hudler and Wideman.  Wideman still has one year left, while Hudler is the top RW'er we have right now.  Re-signing Louie and losing Hudler is worse than a wash.  

I do think Russell is our most tradeable asset that we can afford to lose.  Hudler is worth the most, but tough to lose if you are set on making the playoffs.  Ramo possibly nets you something at the TDL, but that is a bit of a long shot.  I think we could possibly do without Stajan, but it really depends on guys stepping up to replace him.  We have candidates, but they are blocked right now.

I am intrigued by Grant centering Bennett.  Maybe they are giving him a bit of an audition for 4th line C.  Losing Ferland and Bouma, you would think a LW'er would come up.  Or even a RW'er.

I figure the Jackets might be asking for TJ Brodie and we're saying no. As well we should. Rychel's a L shot L wing. Do we really need more of those?

I just don't want to be taken advantage of to shake up the roster. I'm hearing some rumors that a lot of teams are talking to us and the Blues as well as some teams looking to smuggle bad contracts into those talks.

Brodie for Rychel I highly doubt is the ask. We have no more need or room for bad contracts.

Eriksson plays RW, but is a LHS, much like Frolik and Hudler.  I don't think he has plated LW before.

I am more concerned about his price tag.  Next season is going to be an expensive year for the Flames with Gio's deal, Mony/Johnny's new deals and possibly needing to keep Hudler and Wideman.  Wideman still has one year left, while Hudler is the top RW'er we have right now.  Re-signing Louie and losing Hudler is worse than a wash.  

I do think Russell is our most tradeable asset that we can afford to lose.  Hudler is worth the most, but tough to lose if you are set on making the playoffs.  Ramo possibly nets you something at the TDL, but that is a bit of a long shot.  I think we could possibly do without Stajan, but it really depends on guys stepping up to replace him.  We have candidates, but they are blocked right now.

I am intrigued by Grant centering Bennett.  Maybe they are giving him a bit of an audition for 4th line C.  Losing Ferland and Bouma, you would think a LW'er would come up.  Or even a RW'er.

I always thought of Eriksson as a LW when he was with Dallas and putting up close to PPG totals, I could be wrong on that though.

Trading for Eriksson doesn't mean that we can't sign Hudler next year. It is more about improving the team for this season.  I think Eriksson could cost between $4.5 and $5.5 mill next year where as Hudler will be looking for $5.5 to $7.5 mill depending on the years they both have. If Hudler prices himslef out of Calgary and Eriksson plays well in Calgary, Eriksson could be a cheaper alternative going forward.

I still don't see much of a market for Stajan. 3 more years at just over $3mill is a tough pill for some teams to swallow. I think if you are moving Stajan are taking back an equally high contract.

I like your idea about acquiring a second line left wing JTech, but what about Carolina? They also need defencemen in their mid 20s, and they have a couple wingers that could be moved. What about trading for someone like Versteeg, or even Skinner? A trade could look something like:

To Carolina:

Joe Colborne

Kris Russell

To Calgary:

Kris Versteeg

4th round pick

OR

To Carolina:

2nd round pick

Dennis Wideman

Joe Colborne

Mikael Granlund

To Calgary:

Jeff Skinner

4th round pick

This would give Carolina some vetern leadership on the back end for their young defensemen, as well as some younger forwards that could be useful in the future. For Calgary, it gives them some much needed secondary scoring.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Versteeg/Skinner - Bennett - Frolik

Bouma - Backlund - Jones

Ferland - Stajan - Jooris

Giordano - Brodie

Hamilton - Russell/Wideman

Kulak - Engelland/Smid

Ortio

Hiller

I have little to no interest in Versteeg and I think you could get him and a 3rd or 4th for Russell straight up.

I have some interest in Skinner, but he also really scares me. He is a player with a pretty serious concussion history and he has 4 more years at $5.75mill. That being said he is still on only 23 and has shown that he is capable of being a 30 goal scorer in this league. I am just not sure how much I am willing to give up to acquire him, and I would feel much better about it if a guy like Raymond or Stajan were going the other way to offset Skinner's salary come our way.

I think the Blue Jackets and Flames make for good trade partners as both teams could use a trade to "shake things up" a bit.  I feel the hiring of Tortorella by the Blue Jackets show a sign of desperation. If the price is right, i feel they would be willing let get go of some of their promising young players. I feel the organization wants to win now, not some day in the future.

If Boone Jenner is in play, then i would put as much as Backlund on the table.

I'm not sure the Blue Jackets would want Kris Russell as they were the organization to have given up on him originally.  Why would they give anyone of significance to get him back, considering he's UFA and all.  I think Russell is a non-starter.  The Jackets will want Brodie or Hamilton but the Flames would be smart to turn away from that unless the Jackets are willing to talk Johansen.

Matt Calvert is a player I've been following a bit. I think he's got game but hasn't been used in a top 6 role much.  I would be interested if the price was right, like Wotherspoon.

For me, players to avoid would be, Clarkson, Hartnell, and Bourque.

I also don't think Cam Atkinson, another small player, is the right fit for the Flames at this time.

I think the Blue Jackets and Flames make for good trade partners as both teams could use a trade to "shake things up" a bit.  I feel the hiring of Tortorella by the Blue Jackets show a sign of desperation. If the price is right, i feel they would be willing let get go of some of their promising young players. I feel the organization wants to win now, not some day in the future.

If Boone Jenner is in play, then i would put as much as Backlund on the table.

I'm not sure the Blue Jackets would want Kris Russell as they were the organization to have given up on him originally.  Why would they give anyone of significance to get him back, considering he's UFA and all.  I think Russell is a non-starter.  The Jackets will want Brodie or Hamilton but the Flames would be smart to turn away from that unless the Jackets are willing to talk Johansen.

Matt Calvert is a player I've been following a bit. I think he's got game but hasn't been used in a top 6 role much.  I would be interested if the price was right, like Wotherspoon.

For me, players to avoid would be, Clarkson, Hartnell, and Bourque.

I also don't think Cam Atkinson, another small player, is the right fit for the Flames at this time.

I don't think your reasoning is sound regarding CBJ's wanting Russell because they dealt him once. Every year is different and it is all about addressing needs by any GM. Russell for someone under the radar like Rychel seems underwhelming but could be a good deal for both.

I would almost say with certainy that BT is not looking to trade either of Brodie or Hamilton.

Any GM has to have an open mind especially when you have pending FAs on your roster. The fact that Hudler or Russell were not extended this offseason tell us BT is leaving his options open.

With Columbus, keep in mind that the current management regime was not there when Russell was let go, so to say its the same organization that already gave up on him isn't accurate IMO. I don't think it necesarily means they would like him, but keep in mind who acquried Russell form Columbus, ST Louis and St Louis is where both John Davidson and GM Jarrmo K(i'm not going to bother to try and spell it correctly) came from.

But, where I do agree is that I think Russell's value being a pending UFA is probably not enough to get the names being tossed around. I also agree that if the Jackets and Flames were taking trade for a D for a F (likely sceanior) I think it was, or is, for players under contracts not pending UFAs. I agree with above where I bet the Jackets are asking for Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, and Flames are countering with Wideman/Russell etc and they havn't found a match.

With Columbus, keep in mind that the current management regime was not there when Russell was let go, so to say its the same organization that already gave up on him isn't accurate IMO. I don't think it necesarily means they would like him, but keep in mind who acquried Russell form Columbus, ST Louis and St Louis is where both John Davidson and GM Jarrmo K(i'm not going to bother to try and spell it correctly) came from.

But, where I do agree is that I think Russell's value being a pending UFA is probably not enough to get the names being tossed around. I also agree that if the Jackets and Flames were taking trade for a D for a F (likely sceanior) I think it was, or is, for players under contracts not pending UFAs. I agree with above where I bet the Jackets are asking for Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, and Flames are countering with Wideman/Russell etc and they havn't found a match.

If the player is Rychel they shouldn't be asking for Giordano or Brodie at all. Russell is more realistic.

If the player is Rychel they shouldn't be asking for Giordano or Brodie at all. Russell is more realistic.

I think the talk is about any player that is tradeable:  Johansen, Foligno, Jenner....

Never hurts top ask what they want or if the guy is available.  Hamilton came via that type of inquiry, but took time to execute.

The BJ's are taking the same approach; see who is available for what, evaluate as they go....

I find it very difficult to believe that the Flames would even discuss Hamilton in any trade at this point.

• They just got him.
  • They just signed him to a long term contract.
  • They have not had much time to work with him in our system.

It would be a big slap in the face to our management and scouting departments to give up on him so soon. If they had any intention of flipping him they should have done so shortly after signing him. There would have to be something very wrong for the Flames to turn on him so shortly after signing him.

I find it very difficult to believe that the Flames would even discuss Hamilton in any trade at this point.

• They just got him.
  • They just signed him to a long term contract.
  • They have not had much time to work with him in our system.

It would be a big slap in the face to our management and scouting departments to give up on him so soon. If they had any intention of flipping him they should have done so shortly after signing him. There would have to be something very wrong for the Flames to turn on him so shortly after signing him.

Put that worry away, I highly doubt he is in any trade conversation.

Kari Lehtonen---------------------------hes finnish good mentor for Ortio tell gillies is ready

Jyrki Jokipakka-------------------------replace Wotherspoon 

Jason Demers--------------------------had to take back more money 

Valeri Nichushkin or Brett Ritchie--RW for Bennett

Jiri Hudler--------------------------------give them even more scoring

Jonas Hiller   ---  50% ----------------replace Lehtonen

Kris Russell   ---  50% ----------------help D

Tyler Wotherspoon --------------------solid young D good up side

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-flames-willing-to-deal-but-is-anyone-else/

Sounds like Dennis Wideman might be on the trading block, though it might be tough to move him based on his contract.

The other thing Friedman mentions is that Russell could end up being really expensive to bring back next year.

Since they appear to be talking to Ottawa, lets try a few ideas:

Mika Zibanejad for Russell and a 3rd (or something that makes up for his pending UFA status).

Or

Partick Wiercioch and Zibanejad for Wideman and Austin Carroll (or a pick).  We retain $1.5m of Wideman's salary.

Or

Partick Wiercioch and Chiasson for Wideman.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-flames-willing-to-deal-but-is-anyone-else/

Sounds like Dennis Wideman might be on the trading block, though it might be tough to move him based on his contract.

The other thing Friedman mentions is that Russell could end up being really expensive to bring back next year.

Honestly I think we are stuck with Wideman and need to face this fact. Our forwards need to know when he is on the ice in the D zone, they have to help out big time. Russell is what I call a FLEX defenseman talent wise. He is really no more than a good 3rd pairing guy with enough talent to fill in on the 2nd pairing if an injury call for it. If Russell wants to be paid like a solid 2nd pairing defenseman I think the Flames have to move him out but we need him right now with Brodie out.

Honestly I think we are stuck with Wideman and need to face this fact. Our forwards need to know when he is on the ice in the D zone, they have to help out big time. Russell is what I call a FLEX defenseman talent wise. He is really no more than a good 3rd pairing guy with enough talent to fill in on the 2nd pairing if an injury call for it. If Russell wants to be paid like a solid 2nd pairing defenseman I think the Flames have to move him out but we need him right now with Brodie out.

A lot of teams want that RHS RD who can play a 2/3/4 role on the depth chart.  He's good on the PP as well so that's an added bonus.  I think there is a big enough market for Wideman that teams out there will make cap room to make it happen.

I expect the return to be decent.

I think there would be tepid interst but not overwelming interest. Right now only 10 teams in the league could take his cap hit without sending any money in return so unless the Flames are taking about taking a decent cap hit their suitors are going to be limited. I think Wideman has started to play solid these last few games so he may be dispelling his label of inconsistancy to a certain degree which would help, but i just think between his inconsitent play and his cap hit its not going to be a huge market for his services.

I think if tehre was a large and robust market for Wideman he would have been dealt in the offseason

A lot of teams want that RHS RD who can play a 2/3/4 role on the depth chart.  He's good on the PP as well so that's an added bonus.  I think there is a big enough market for Wideman that teams out there will make cap room to make it happen.

I expect the return to be decent.

Ottawa is a team that only is being held back by an internal cap.  If they want to compete wit the big boys, they have to spend a few dollars. Wideman would help them immensely.  I think they can afford to lose some forward scoring to help them on the PP or generating offense from their D.  Their 2nd in scoring on defense has 2 assists.  They need help.

Since they appear to be talking to Ottawa, lets try a few ideas:

Mika Zibanejad for Russell and a 3rd (or something that makes up for his pending UFA status).

Or

Partick Wiercioch and Zibanejad for Wideman and Austin Carroll (or a pick).  We retain $1.5m of Wideman's salary.

Or

Partick Wiercioch and Chiasson for Wideman.

I really Like Zibanejad, and would love to get him in a Flames uniform. He has a ton of skill, at 6'2" 212lbs, he has good size and he is RHS center, and is only 22. The problem is that is is all those some things that make him very valuable to Ottawa and I thing it would take an overpayment to acquire him.

I like Ottawa as a trade partner though. I wonder if Hoffman might be available, they had a rough negotiation this offseason and he is a RFA again this offseason. Hoffman put up 27 goals last year as a rookie, he can flat out fly and has one of the best releases in the game. 

The other guy from Ottawa I like is Jared Cowan, he had huge upside coming out of junior and could really benefit from a change of scenery. 

I really Like Zibanejad, and would love to get him in a Flames uniform. He has a ton of skill, at 6'2" 212lbs, he has good size and he is RHS center, and is only 22. The problem is that is is all those some things that make him very valuable to Ottawa and I thing it would take an overpayment to acquire him.

I like Ottawa as a trade partner though. I wonder if Hoffman might be available, they had a rough negotiation this offseason and he is a RFA again this offseason. Hoffman put up 27 goals last year as a rookie, he can flat out fly and has one of the best releases in the game. 

The other guy from Ottawa I like is Jared Cowan, he had huge upside coming out of junior and could really benefit from a change of scenery. 

I look at Zib and Wiercioch as guys that Ottawa may be willing to dandle.  Wideman helps replace some of his offense, but it would likely take a high pick or high-end prospect to do the deal.  Ottawa has never shied away from big deals.  Let's see what they want. Zib is exactly the type of RW/C we could use. Anyone other than Bennett or core guys should be in conversation.  Even Hudler, though I hate to see him go. 

I look at Zib and Wiercioch as guys that Ottawa may be willing to dandle.  Wideman helps replace some of his offense, but it would likely take a high pick or high-end prospect to do the deal.  Ottawa has never shied away from big deals.  Let's see what they want. Zib is exactly the type of RW/C we could use. Anyone other than Bennett or core guys should be in conversation.  Even Hudler, though I hate to see him go. 

The tough part is Ottawa is sort of in the same position we are, looking to build with young players. If you want Zibanejad and Wiercioch and we are sending Wideman the other way we would most likely have to add Poirier and Andersson or Kylington plus a 3rd round pick or better. That's just my guess, I see Zibanejad as having 1st line center potential still, and teams are usually pretty reluctant to give up those types of players.

The tough part is Ottawa is sort of in the same position we are, looking to build with young players. If you want Zibanejad and Wiercioch and we are sending Wideman the other way we would most likely have to add Poirier and Andersson or Kylington plus a 3rd round pick or better. That's just my guess, I see Zibanejad as having 1st line center potential still, and teams are usually pretty reluctant to give up those types of players.

They do lack offense beyond Karlsson on the back end.  Wideman helps them for at least the next two years.  And they seem to be trending towards being a perennial playoff team.  Giving them back prospects doesn't really help them soon enough.  Wiercioch is one of those guys they will give up on.  Zib will get them something to help them win now.  Retaining part of Wideman's salary is akin to giving them back an additional piece, at least it is for a team like Ottawa.  If we had to include Klimchuk or another reasonably high-rated prospect, I think it could work for both teams.  Non-starters for me include Poirier, Ras, Hickey, and Kylington.

They do lack offense beyond Karlsson on the back end. Wideman helps them for at least the next two years. And they seem to be trending towards being a perennial playoff team. Giving them back prospects doesn't really help them soon enough. Wiercioch is one of those guys they will give up on. Zib will get them something to help them win now. Retaining part of Wideman's salary is akin to giving them back an additional piece, at least it is for a team like Ottawa. If we had to include Klimchuk or another reasonably high-rated prospect, I think it could work for both teams. Non-starters for me include Poirier, Ras, Hickey, and Kylington.

Zibanejad is a big part of them being a perennial playoff team. I just think it takes a whole lot more than Wideman to get the trade to work. Zibanejad and Cowan for Hamilton would probably make more sense for them.

Again I see Zibanejad being a 60+ point player as early as this year, so I don't think Wideman plus some prospects will be enough to get Ottawa to trade him.