The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Simplest solution to the Janko problem is to waive Bart.  We don't need a 7th D-man over the next two weeks.  No B2B games and the next 5 are played in the Dome.  Somebody gets injured, easy plane ride from Stockton.   The Heat are in Cali for the next two weeks as well.  

11 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Apparently Scott Niedermayer chose to join the Ducks to chase a SC with his brother Rob rather re-sign for bigger $s in NJ (themselves a pretty good team).

Parise & Suter were the 2 highest sought after UFAs when they decided they'd both sign with the Wild.

Players can be funny (like fans that see market value as a home town discount). If we pay Freddie 0.612 to eat popcorn to make Dougie play better so be it.

As far as the 13/14 forward using Janko there really doesn't help him if he's a scratch rather than improving in the AHL. Next year he'll be asked to fill Stajan's skates. If we keep stalling with Backlund he might have even bigger 1s to fill.

If Dougie is that much of a mental midget then I would look to trade him if he gets bent out of shape over his brother being demoted.

I really hope Jankowski is here to stay, he needs to learn here for the very reasons you mention heading into next season. To be fair to Freddie, I would consider him over Glass only because he has more versatility being a RHS having played C and RW.

10 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

For one what difference does it make if freddie is the 13th or 14th or 15th forward? that player generally doesnt matter, and doesnt make or break a game for the team. Players like having certain guys around, it helps them get through the grind of a NHL season and to say it makes him immature is kind of silly. 

I dont think gaudreau would be very happy if the flames decided to trade mony for example. 

Huge discrepancy in talent comparisons here AB. In the Hamilton situation Star talent and barely NHL talent, brothers. Gaudreau and Monahan both stars in the own right.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Simplest solution to the Janko problem is to waive Bart.  We don't need a 7th D-man over the next two weeks.  No B2B games and the next 5 are played in the Dome.  Somebody gets injured, easy plane ride from Stockton.   The Heat are in Cali for the next two weeks as well.  

Not going to happen. No team will ever run like that unless forced by the salary cap. Limits them too much from resting guys in practice or if someone suddenly cant play due to a family emergency or illness. 

4 hours ago, Zirakzigil said:

Not going to happen. No team will ever run like that unless forced by the salary cap. Limits them too much from resting guys in practice or if someone suddenly cant play due to a family emergency or illness. 

It's not a long term strategy; it's an immediate solution.  No B2B's in the next two weeks, so any game-related injury can be fixed quickly.  But in the case of a pre-game skate injury or family emergency to the top 5, you are right.

Long term, they figure out who gets waived and/or sent down from the forward ranks.

Glass is 1st in line, followed by Freddie or Lazar.

Glass - does not play enough games to justify using a roster spot.

Freddie - he's a fill-in that can sit for games and come back in without really hurting his play.

Lazar - he's not getting enough games.  There is no RW position for him, and he's competing with Janko and Stajan for a C spot.  I doubt they waive Lazar since they still view him as someone that can improve and be an impact player.

Stajan - least likely since he still can play at the NHL level, if not at a high level.  I doubt he gets close to 80 games, but he's depth.      

Anyone know much about this Gaetan Haas RHS-C of the Swiss Elite League rumor is the Flames will be signing him.

Not much.  Seems to put up decent points in the Swiss League though.  From what I understand, he would not be eligible to play in North America this season, but could be signed for next season.  Also sounds like he wants a one way deal, so chances are no one will sign him until they see how he does at the olympics this year.  

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Anyone know much about this Gaetan Haas RHS-C of the Swiss Elite League rumor is the Flames will be signing him.

Never heard a thing about him.  RHS center.  Smaller, 5'11" 158 pounds.  His stats and description of the player:  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=34816

According to some reports, he will get an offer from the Flames by the end of the year.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Never heard a thing about him.  RHS center.  Smaller, 5'11" 158 pounds.  His stats and description of the player:  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=34816

According to some reports, he will get an offer from the Flames by the end of the year.

Reading his write up he sounds like a replacement for Backlund.

In the summer I was hoping we would sign Jokinen, now not so much, but I would be very interested in Slepyshev. He has good size at 6'2" 221lbs, his speed is a difference maker, and he is only 23. I would be surprised if there was a trade between Calgary and Edmonton, but I would at least call on Slepyshev, I think there is untapped offense there, and even if there isn't his size and speed plays in this league.

48 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

In the summer I was hoping we would sign Jokinen, now not so much, but I would be very interested in Slepyshev. He has good size at 6'2" 221lbs, his speed is a difference maker, and he is only 23. I would be surprised if there was a trade between Calgary and Edmonton, but I would at least call on Slepyshev, I think there is untapped offense there, and even if there isn't his size and speed plays in this league.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing when they signed Jokinen.  Used to be a player.  

Slepyshev?  They must be insane.  He's not going to bring anything of real value, so I don't get why they are willing to part with a guy on an ELC who's still undersized and just 23.  Maybe someone will trade Erat for him.  We could send Bartman for him.  Other than that, there isn;t much I would part with.  Stajan makes them a better team.  

I'd part with any of McDonald, Shinkaruk or Wotherspoon for Slepyshev. Knowing PC though, they will be overvaluing Slepyshev, the ask would likely be Lazar, which I wouldn't do as I think Lazar can be more effective in a limited role.

13 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Huge discrepancy in talent comparisons here AB. In the Hamilton situation Star talent and barely NHL talent, brothers. Gaudreau and Monahan both stars in the own right.

It is a huge discrepancy in talent, but my point is that it really doesnt matter if hamilton is the 14th forward, it matters more if top players have someone they like around.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'd part with any of McDonald, Shinkaruk or Wotherspoon for Slepyshev. Knowing PC though, they will be overvaluing Slepyshev, the ask would likely be Lazar, which I wouldn't do as I think Lazar can be more effective in a limited role.

More likely he would overvalue the player they get in return.

Bart would fit their speed game.  Stajan would fit their need for winning faceoffs.  Spoon would help their shoddy D.  

As much as the thought of a young prospect that could be developed, I don't think we can make a deal.  Neither side wants to lose the trade. 

1 minute ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

It is a huge discrepancy in talent, but my point is that it really doesnt matter if hamilton is the 14th forward, it matters more if top players have someone they like around.

So you think Dougie only likes Freddie ? Just kidding.

I said somewhere else that I think they should keep Stajan and F Hamilton as 13 and 14. Freddie is another RHS that can play C and RW likely LW to if he had too.

I would let Glass go.

On 10/29/2017 at 0:10 PM, MAC331 said:

Not sure I agree with your analogy surrounding the early going. Let's take your own views regarding VAN and VEG, do you see them able to sustain their winning ways? Throw in COL while you are at it, same question. Coming through October there are always certain aspects of a team's game that have to get worked on or worked out. I don't think its fair to say our players have no heart or determination to win. It is you that appears to be the wounded animal here, do you ever stop to listen to yourself ?

Playing with intensity seems to all be the issue, we seem to never play a full 60 minutes. Now will the others clubs sustain unknown, but you seem to be the self proclaimed oracle of hockey you tell us! With the last line, I respect and value others opinions, if i disagree It is respectfully put that way. You seem to have the willingness to resort to insults constantly of others and now myself. I just wonder if your that bold when not sitting in front of a computer screen. Word of advise, you may not like my point of view or others that's fine, if you must rebuttal a point be respectful, if you can't than don't use mommy's computer any more.

• Like 1

Vegas is down to their 4th and 5th goaltenders, they just had to recall a WHL goalie that was just drafted in the past draft. I wonder if their is opportunity to use McDonald or Rittich to get an upgrade on our 6th defenseman.

40 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Playing with intensity seems to all be the issue, we seem to never play a full 60 minutes. Now will the others clubs sustain unknown, but you seem to be the self proclaimed oracle of hockey you tell us! With the last line, I respect and value others opinions, if i disagree It is respectfully put that way. You seem to have the willingness to resort to insults constantly of others and now myself. I just wonder if your that bold when not sitting in front of a computer screen. Word of advise, you may not like my point of view or others that's fine, if you must rebuttal a point be respectful, if you can't than don't use mommy's computer any more.

You don't want to be insulted but end with a insult of your own. My mommy died 20 years ago and I have had my own computer for quite some time. You are correct that I don't find most of your views accurate or correct usually. You are also correct that I don't much like the posters that constantly are negative and run the team or it's players into the ground. I have played and coached a number of sports at high competitive levels so I do believe and express my points of view when posters question whether a team or its players at the professional level "give everything they have" in the eyes of the fan.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Vegas is down to their 4th and 5th goaltenders, they just had to recall a WHL goalie that was just drafted in the past draft. I wonder if their is opportunity to use McDonald or Rittich to get an upgrade on our 6th defenseman.

McDonald is an ECHL goalie.  

Rittich, ya worth a try.  But they will offer Jason Garrison at most.  Or the KHL kid who isn't NHL ready.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well we have more depth in this position than we do anywhere else.  

I'm not sure I would want to upgrade from Vegas on D.  Reinhart for MacDonald would be reasonable for a risk/reward deal.  Reinhart would go directly to the Heat in that case.  If we were trading Rittich (to bring up Parsons to rotate in), then I would want to talk about Pirri (one for one) or Perron (need to send back money or have them retain salary).  If we prefer to play Parsons more, then put him back in the ECHL and pick up a cheap AHL-quality goalie to back up Gillies.

None of these may be realistic, but it's where I would start.  I would have no issue myself picking up Reinhart and have him learn a proper defensive structure in Stockton.  When he's ready, we can use him as the 7th D-man and waive Bart forever.  

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

What is the nature of Fleury and Dansk's injuries ? If they truly needed a Goalie I would trade Lack G for McNabb LHSD.

Rittich is likely destined to be a back up Goalie so we could graduate him to the main team.

• Like 1

Just now, MAC331 said:

What is the nature of Fleury and Dansk's injuries ? If they truly needed a Goalie I would trade Lack G for McNabb LHSD.

Rittich is likely destined to be a back up Goalie so we could graduate him to the main team.

Ya I would trade Lack in an instant.  Just to free up room for Rittich or Gillies.  Parsons will graduate to AHL next season and we need to graduate one of these two goalies to make room.

I have no idea what Vegas is doing with their dmen. I really thought they would have moved them out by now so clearly this is a case of them over valuing them or the league not wanting them. Given who it is they likely want to trade it's probably the latter. The only ones Flames should have interest in are Schmidt (no chance), McNabb (not sure why they would move him), Colin MIller (not likely), or Theodore which isn't going to happen. I don't think the Flames should have interest in anyone else.

So that leaves McNabb and given that none of their goalies injuries are that serious I would have a hard time seeing them move McNabb for a short term fix in goalie. They would have to see McDonald, Rittich etc as someone who can help them over the next few years which i'm not sure is likely.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I have no idea what Vegas is doing with their dmen. I really thought they would have moved them out by now so clearly this is a case of them over valuing them or the league not wanting them. Given who it is they likely want to trade it's probably the latter. The only ones Flames should have interest in are Schmidt (no chance), McNabb (not sure why they would move him), Colin MIller (not likely), or Theodore which isn't going to happen. I don't think the Flames should have interest in anyone else.

So that leaves McNabb and given that none of their goalies injuries are that serious I would have a hard time seeing them move McNabb for a short term fix in goalie. They would have to see McDonald, Rittich etc as someone who can help them over the next few years which i'm not sure is likely.

Hard to say with Fleury, he seems to be injured off and on so they may see value in someone such as Lack. I have to admit not knowing much about Dansk or Suppan other than they are young. I'm sure Lack would like another opportunity to start. McNabb would fill the bill for us IMO on our last pairing and it is an affordable 1 season deal.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Elliott Friedman believes since McPhee controlled the expansion draft and messed with a lot of teams, many GMs got together in a silent truce to give McPhee the middle finger on trades.