The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

37 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Can’t believe you are still harping on Ferland.  I guess you must have made up your mind on him years ago and no matter what you can’t see beyond you bias.  There is no hole at 1RW, in fact that line, all of them is in the top handful of lines scoring in the whole league.   If the Flames were to bring in another RW it wouldn’t be for the top line.

LOL!!!! If you go back and read page 335 I said “I am now sold on Ferland. I don’t see a need to address top line RW”.

But go ahead and make your own assumptions.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:24 PM, JA_Boomer said:

For what I feel is the first time, there's only one 'piece' I would like to add to the team right now. Last year it was a top-9 forward, a top-4 dman, and a goalie.

There aren't many teams that would't want an upgrade for a top 9 forward if it was feasible, and the same with top 4 D...   We have injuries and are missing a couple of forwards, the D is pretty darn good on paper, and it's has been inconsistent at times, but I'll leave that alone for now and just focus on another item you brought up, but did not attempt to address...

Who would you try and get for a goalie that you think is an upgrade, and what would you be be willing to part with to do it?...

He probably saw the "now" in your post as a "not".  I saw it as that too the first time I read it. I had to re-read as it did not match the rest of your statement.  Guess it was just the mind drawing conclusion on that post as relating it to your previous post .  I just love reading all the opinion when they remain civil.

43 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

No need, between Dube, Klimchuk, Foo, Shinkaruk or Poirier I think we will have it covered.  And that’s even forgetting Mangiapane who is already here and doing very well.

As I said above BT shouldn't need to do much of anything until the offseason. This team is getting better from within and the need to trade as I see it will be from cap pressures and moving some players out to move younger players with more potential.

If BT can trade Stone for a player such as Leivo then I think you that deal. If you trade Brodie you should get a quality player back or solid draft pick positions. We may find it beneficial to trade Frolik as well for draft picks to free up some salary position. My point I guess is we could still have a fair bit of need on RW and good competition is always good.

• Like 1

Frolik like Hornquist like Oshie you don't see on the boxscore every night but you sure miss them when they are injured.

Frolik one of the last pieces I would move.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

Frolik like Hornquist like Oshie you don't see on the boxscore every night but you sure miss them when they are injured.

I tend to agree.  He's probably the most underrated Flame.  You can see how much the Backlund line needs him.  Sure Tkachuk is fine, but Backlund has gone into a bit of a tailspin.  We just don't have depth there.  Ferland is playing like a top line RW, but below that we have Hathaway who is being dragged along by Janko, and Brouwer who really is 4th liner at this point.  RW depth on the farm isn't great right now either.  Foo and Pribyl may amount to something next season.  Poirier could be good, as well as Gawdin, but you just don't know.

We will need Frolik for the future.  He's versatile enough to play multiple spots in the lineup.  Would buy out Brouwer and trade Lazar long before I would trade Frolik.

I am wondering if we really need to do anything at this time. However, if anyone gets moved, I would hope it's for draft picks only. A six game winning streak in this league is nothing to sneeze at and we're entering our mandatory rest period in pretty good shape. The nicks and bruises will now get a chance to heal. We're getting very solid goaltending and the defense is finally joining in the rush. The overall team confidence is high. I see no reason this can't continue. 

The biggest need I see right now, would be a RHS RW, that can contribute offense. We have Lazar, Brouwer and Hathaway as RHS forwards on this team, all of whom are offense killers. Lazar and Brouwer either just dump it in or turn the puck over when it hits their sticks. Hathaway contributes through hard work but he has very little in the way of NHL skill, I think that 3rd line could be far more effective with more skilled RW. I also don't like the idea of just converting another LW to RW. 

As others of suggested, Vanek might be a possibility, he is skilled and he would help our struggling PP. I do worry about his past playoff disappearing acts. 

A name a lot of people probably won't like but might be a great fit is Mark Letestu. He is a RHS C, that can play the wing. He was effective on the PP for Edmonton. He would be cheap and he would be a RHS who can win a draw when needed. He isn't as skilled or as much of a scorer as Vanek, but he is an upgrade on Hathaway.

Andrew Shaw has a terrible contract, but he is an energy guy, who can be a great shift disturber, can play all 3 positions and has 10 goals this year.

I wonder with Toronto's depth on the right side if they would move Connor Brown, he is having a bit of a sophomore slump and Toronto might want to clear some salary to sign their big guys. They also have guys like Soshnikov, Kapanen and Bracco on the way. Brown isn't the greatest skater, but he gets around alright and he did score 20 goals last year.

Kasperi Kapanen is a guy who might be ready for his chance at the NHL level, but Toronto is so deep there he might not get a chance. He has great wheels and has some offensive skills, he probably won't be a regular top 6 winger but is a guy who can easily play in the top 9.

I don't think any of these guys are going to cost a ton and would help our depth on the right side. I think we can probably safely send Lazar through waivers at this point.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Any interest in JT Brown?  He's free for the taking.

His stats don;t look that good.

He's basically a smaller version of Hathaway, without the agitating and fighting qualities. Not sure there is a fit for him here.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

LOL!!!! If you go back and read page 335 I said “I am now sold on Ferland. I don’t see a need to address top line RW”.

But go ahead and make your own assumptions.

Glad you’ve seen the light.  Ferland has been outstanding.

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He's basically a smaller version of Hathaway, without the agitating and fighting qualities. Not sure there is a fit for him here.

Never mind.  I like Hathaway as a depth player, so I don;t really want another one.  

I was thinking that Okposo or Reinhart might be a good fit here.  Brodie for Okposo straight up.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Never mind.  I like Hathaway as a depth player, so I don;t really want another one.  

I was thinking that Okposo or Reinhart might be a good fit here.  Brodie for Okposo straight up.

A couple of weeks ago I would have been onboard with trading Brodie to improve our winger depth, now I am not sure I would trade Brodie. Brodie and Hamonic have seemed to have figured out how to work as a pairing. Ferland is scoring enough that upgrading the 1st line RW isn't as big a priority. I wouldn't mind adding a player like Okposo, I am just not sure I want to give up much off our roster for it.

I don't think Kulak is ready to jump up and take Brodie's minutes and there isn't anyone on the farm that take those minutes. 

I think our biggest need right now is to upgrade Hathaway on the 3rd line. I don't think that finding a player that can fill that role shouldn't cost too much.

As far as trade chips, I think that the only untouchables at this point are Dube, Valimaki and any 3rd round or better draft picks. 

During headlines tonight Elliott Friedman mentioned a name that I didn't think would be available from Ottawa, Jean Gabriel Pageau, he did say that Ottawa would be very patient when it comes to flipping assets like him. 

I think Pageau fits a number of needs for us. He is a RHS C, but I would assume he could fill in on the RW if needed. He is good on the PK. He played well for Ottawa in the playoffs last year. He is signed for 2 more seasons after this at $3.1m. He would be really nice insurance if we lose a center down the stretch or if Backlund becomes to expensive to bring back next year. 

Not sure what it would cost to acquire him, but I would be willing to move any of Andersson, Fox, Kylington, Klimchuk, Phillips, or Ruzicka to make a deal work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I don't disagree BUT he has value and as an organization BT has to keep giving himself options to balance the talent and money. He has given a lot of draft position away the last few years and at some point you need it back.

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

During headlines tonight Elliott Friedman mentioned a name that I didn't think would be available from Ottawa, Jean Gabriel Pageau, he did say that Ottawa would be very patient when it comes to flipping assets like him. 

I think Pageau fits a number of needs for us. He is a RHS C, but I would assume he could fill in on the RW if needed. He is good on the PK. He played well for Ottawa in the playoffs last year. He is signed for 2 more seasons after this at $3.1m. He would be really nice insurance if we lose a center down the stretch or if Backlund becomes to expensive to bring back next year. 

Not sure what it would cost to acquire him, but I would be willing to move any of Andersson, Fox, Kylington, Klimchuk, Phillips, or Ruzicka to make a deal work.

They won't trade him, hometown boy very popular, he is what they need there. They need to find Phaneuf a new home like Boston by next season.

Just saw Lomberg has been called up.

Still waiting to see Hrivik.

Not sure if there is any intention to use either player, plus it's 5 day break after today.

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

A couple of weeks ago I would have been onboard with trading Brodie to improve our winger depth, now I am not sure I would trade Brodie. Brodie and Hamonic have seemed to have figured out how to work as a pairing. Ferland is scoring enough that upgrading the 1st line RW isn't as big a priority. I wouldn't mind adding a player like Okposo, I am just not sure I want to give up much off our roster for it.

I don't think Kulak is ready to jump up and take Brodie's minutes and there isn't anyone on the farm that take those minutes. 

I think our biggest need right now is to upgrade Hathaway on the 3rd line. I don't think that finding a player that can fill that role shouldn't cost too much.

As far as trade chips, I think that the only untouchables at this point are Dube, Valimaki and any 3rd round or better draft picks. 

As far as the 2nd pair goes, I think they would be okay. We're overplaying Brodie and underplaying Hamilton as it is.  Bring in Andersson to play the RD on the 2nd pair, and shift Hamonic to LD.  Play the 3rd pair more minutes, to be closer to the 2nd pair.  Brodie's style is forcing Hamonic into a role he is not excelling in.  They are doing okay, but that is not great.

The other option is moving Stone.  The problem with either is they have M-NTC.  Likely Buffalo is on it.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

As far as the 2nd pair goes, I think they would be okay. We're overplaying Brodie and underplaying Hamilton as it is.  Bring in Andersson to play the RD on the 2nd pair, and shift Hamonic to LD.  Play the 3rd pair more minutes, to be closer to the 2nd pair.  Brodie's style is forcing Hamonic into a role he is not excelling in.  They are doing okay, but that is not great.

The other option is moving Stone.  The problem with either is they have M-NTC.  Likely Buffalo is on it.

I am not convinced that Andersson is going to be an NHL regular let alone a top 4 defenseman. I definitely wouldn't put him in the top 4 right out of the AHL, especially not with a partner playing on his off side.

I think Hamonic is at his best when he is playing a simple stay at hime, physical game, and that is what we are getting from him. 

After our current top 4 there isn't anyone I would trust playing 20+mins night in night out, and that's what you need from your top 4.

I just don't see a likely scenario where this team gets better by trading away Brodie.

If we are still looking for a right shot RW come July 1, between Hornqvist and Perron who would you rather have and why? I’m not concerned about the price tag, it’s the term im

scared of. 2 years ideally but 3 years max IMO

On 1/13/2018 at 2:00 PM, cccsberg said:

No need, between Dube, Klimchuk, Foo, Shinkaruk or Poirier I think we will have it covered.  And that’s even forgetting Mangiapane who is already here and doing very well.

So I should have clarified my post a bit further.

-I believe the only position we need to upgrade on this team right now is the 3'rd line right-winger.

-I am not in favor in removing current roster players in order to find another RW, as that's just plugging one hole while making another.

-If the opportunity to get a decent RW for futures (draft picks and prospects) was available, I would strongly consider it.

-I would not trade Andersson, Parsons, Gillis, Dube, or Fox.

-I understand that with the draft picks we have currently, and the remaining prospect pool, it is unlikely we would be able to make a trade for a right-winger who is an upgrade on either Hathaway or Brouwer.

My whole train of thought is that this is the first time that the team has felt one piece away from being a complete team to me. Yes, they've been playing very well lately, and Hathaway and Brouwer have been okay on the right side, but to me, right now, they are both 4th line wingers. I agree that we have players coming along (although I have written-off Shinkaruk). However, in the summer of 2019 we are going to have to pay Tkachuk, Bennett, and Ferland. I do not see any of our prospects as a guarantee to be an effective winger this year or next, so I feel it's worth trading (or signing this summer) a right-winger to see what we can accomplish in the next two post-seasons before we have more committed money to core players on the books.

5 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

So I should have clarified my post a bit further.

-I believe the only position we need to upgrade on this team right now is the 3'rd line right-winger.

-I am not in favor in removing current roster players in order to find another RW, as that's just plugging one hole while making another.

-If the opportunity to get a decent RW for futures (draft picks and prospects) was available, I would strongly consider it.

-I would not trade Andersson, Parsons, Gillis, Dube, or Fox.

-I understand that with the draft picks we have currently, and the remaining prospect pool, it is unlikely we would be able to make a trade for a right-winger who is an upgrade on either Hathaway or Brouwer.

My whole train of thought is that this is the first time that the team has felt one piece away from being a complete team to me. Yes, they've been playing very well lately, and Hathaway and Brouwer have been okay on the right side, but to me, right now, they are both 4th line wingers. I agree that we have players coming along (although I have written-off Shinkaruk). However, in the summer of 2019 we are going to have to pay Tkachuk, Bennett, and Ferland. I do not see any of our prospects as a guarantee to be an effective winger this year or next, so I feel it's worth trading (or signing this summer) a right-winger to see what we can accomplish in the next two post-seasons before we have more committed money to core players on the books.

You could be getting way ahead of yourself here only because moves are not made in a vacuum. We are starting to finally get a look at what we do have in some of our own prospects. I think any offseason moves go hand in hand with the decision surrounding Backlund. Should Backlund stay then I believe Bennett will remain on LW and if Dube makes the team he may be a LW also. We could end up seeing something like these lines given they buy out Brouwer.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland

Bennett, Jankowski, Tkachuk

Dube, Backlund, Frolik

Hrivik, Lazar, Hathaway

I know this puts Ferland and Tkachuk on their off wing but they can handle it.

If this were to become the case I would look to trade Brodie, Mangiapane and Stone for another top 4 LSD defenseman stronger on defense than Brodie plus draft picks.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

You could be getting way ahead of yourself here only because moves are not made in a vacuum.

I'm trying to get out ahead of the game because we just don't know when any of our prospects will be an effective everyday 3'rd line winger. I think it's safe to pencil one of them into the 2019/20 opening lineup, but I'd like something more solid for the next two seasons to give us the best chance of success.

17 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

I'm trying to get out ahead of the game because we just don't know when any of our prospects will be an effective everyday 3'rd line winger. I think it's safe to pencil one of them into the 2019/20 opening lineup, but I'd like something more solid for the next two seasons to give us the best chance of success.

The three prospects coming IMO are Foo, Gawdin and Tuulola eventually.

Paul Martin is on waivers today.

I think he can still be a solid defenseman, at this point he is probably a 3rd pairing guy who can play on the PK and can play in the 2nd pairing in case of injury. I just wish his contract was over at the end of this season, the 2nd year at $4.6m would be tough to take on.

I am still not 100% sold on Kulak.