The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Gaudreau is fast hitting Paul Byron status for being useless on break aways, I think we trade him for Marner in the offseason.

Brodie for Reinhart also in the offseason.

This should go a long way to fix our weak defense and turnovers going into next season.

Yup, can't score on a breakaway or he misses the net big time from a bad angle

How come no one gave GG credit for having the balls to sit Johnny on the bench for the shootout?  Since Johnny cant score on breakaways.  It was a good call.

But no, everyone wants to fire GG.

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

How come no one gave GG credit for having the balls to sit Johnny on the bench for the shootout?  Since Johnny cant score on breakaways.  It was a good call.

It appears other than Tkachuk our sharpshooters are all cold. All one can say is we are picking up points along the way.

Hate to encourage the Oilers.

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

When was the last time JH actually was used in the shootout?  The dangle he didscored on a shootout on December 12th.  He was the only guy to score that night.  Against the Sharks, Monahan and Backlund.  The Jets featured Janko and Monahan.

The vitriol for Gully is due to bizare line matching at home, coaching for a tie, and his love afair with Brouwer and Brodie.  In a 4v4 situation, why would you be playing Brouwer with Backlund?  Or why would you use the same player for the last 90 seconds of a tie game (PK for 30 of those seconds) and then 90 seconds in the ensuing OT.  Multiplae stoppages, but no need to change to a real center.  A bigger issue with this team is the PP structure.  Can't remember the last time the play spent any time in Gretzky's Office.  Some teams are unstoppable when they use that area.  Tkachuk scored in that exact type of play last night at evens.  

Our PP is to predictable, which drives me nuts.  We've gotten fairly good at gaining the zone, but the M.O. is always the same.  Get the puck to Gaudreau, have him pass it back and forth with the point, occasionally down low, back to the side-boards, then to the point, point man puts a wrister through traffic and hopes it gets through so we get a rebound, puck is cleared, rinse and repeat.

Almost all of our shots are generated from the point, and they rarely get to the net.  And no one moves on our PP.  We get one guy in front of the net, one on the half boards, one in the corner, and two at the points (occasionally far point on the other half boards).  The defending team doesn't even have to look up to know where we are.  We hardly ever try to get someone to sneak in behind coverage, or surprise them with a shot from the high slot.  

In short, we don't have a personnel problem so much as a system problem on the PP, imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Our PP is to predictable, which drives me nuts.  We've gotten fairly good at gaining the zone, but the M.O. is always the same.  Get the puck to Gaudreau, have him pass it back and forth with the point, occasionally down low, back to the side-boards, then to the point, point man puts a wrister through traffic and hopes it gets through so we get a rebound, puck is cleared, rinse and repeat.

Almost all of our shots are generated from the point, and they rarely get to the net.  And no one moves on our PP.  We get one guy in front of the net, one on the half boards, one in the corner, and two at the points (occasionally far point on the other half boards).  The defending team doesn't even have to look up to know where we are.  We hardly ever try to get someone to sneak in behind coverage, or surprise them with a shot from the high slot.  

In short, we don't have a personnel problem so much as a system problem on the PP, imo.

The fact that Monahan rarely if ever touches the puck and even more rare gets a shot, is the biggest flaw with our PP. We have one of the best goal scorers in the league and we can't get him into a position to shoot.

The price of Hoffman would be extremely high but I think would be very worthwhile. Rightly or wrongly, or GM has us positioned in win-now mode, so once again, rightly or wrongly it makes sense for him to pursue a high end goal scorer with term remaining.

It would make our top 9 very good IMO

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Jankowski-Hoffman

Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer

Lazar-Hathaway

PP1

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk

Hamilton-Hoffman

PP2

Jankowski-Backlund-Ferland

Versteeg-Giordano

I think that makes us a very scary team but it would cost us a premium

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The fact that Monahan rarely if ever touches the puck and even more rare gets a shot, is the biggest flaw with our PP. We have one of the best goal scorers in the league and we can't get him into a position to shoot.

A big part of the system.  When was the last time you saw Mony receive a pass in the high slot for a one timer on the power play?  He mostly plays below the line to recieve JG passes and then gives it back.

34 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The price of Hoffman would be extremely high but I think would be very worthwhile. Rightly or wrongly, or GM has us positioned in win-now mode, so once again, rightly or wrongly it makes sense for him to pursue a high end goal scorer with term remaining.

It would make our top 9 very good IMO

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Jankowski-Hoffman

Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer

Lazar-Hathaway

PP1

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk

Hamilton-Hoffman

PP2

Jankowski-Backlund-Ferland

Versteeg-Giordano

I think that makes us a very scary team but it would cost us a premium

I doubt you land Hoffman without giving up one of the pieces you list in the top 9, either Bennett or Janko most likely.

27 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

A big part of the system.  When was the last time you saw Mony receive a pass in the high slot for a one timer on the power play?  He mostly plays below the line to recieve JG passes and then gives it back.

I doubt you land Hoffman without giving up one of the pieces you list in the top 9, either Bennett or Janko most likely.

You may get him for a handful of our better prospects. Dube, Fox, Parsons

Talking about our PP.

We need to get them moving. Only a couple of players actually move very much. Gio when he walks the line for example.

The wingers only move a bit to get open for a pass or a bit along the boards to get the puck back but most are standing still.

This allows the opponents to cover the shooting and passing lanes much more easier.

Get our PP moving and the shooting lanes will change and open up and the Players will also open up scoring opportunities.

30 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Talking about our PP.

We need to get them moving. Only a couple of players actually move very much. Gio when he walks the line for example.

The wingers only move a bit to get open for a pass or a bit along the boards to get the puck back but most are standing still.

This allows the opponents to cover the shooting and passing lanes much more easier.

Get our PP moving and the shooting lanes will change and open up and the Players will also open up scoring opportunities.

I haven't seen anyone near the net handle the puck once in recent memory.  Tkachuk is one of the best controllers of the puck in any situation, yet he is only available to tip the puck?  Nobody behind the net with the puck.  NO zone entries with speed that results in a shot right away.  As you mentioned, it's a very static setup, like it's caught up in a system and doesn't allow for fluid play. 

I know that Backlund is a good player to have on a PP, but he doesn;t fit the first unit.  He used to be the mainstay of the 2nd unit and could be counted upon for scoring plays when the first unit was not able to.  Brodie is being overused, IMHO.  I like him better as a PK player, along with Gio, Stone, and Hamonic.  

I don't know if this would have better results, but the skillsets could really help define a more fluid setup.

PP1

Tkachuk-Monahan-Johnny

Janko-Hamilton

Benefits - Janko one-timer, Hamilton able to get the puck on net, Johnny able to set up Tkachuk, Hamilton or Monahan plus off-wing shot at net.  Hamilton and Johnny have good zone entries.  Tkachuk can screen or top.  Monahan cleans up.

PP2

Bennett-Backlund-Ferland

Gio-Stone

Benefits - Two good shots from the point, Backlund controls the play down low, Ferland screens or fires from off-wing, Bennett drive's the net.  Strong board play maintains possession.  Ability to enter the zone and keep the puck moving forward. 

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I haven't seen anyone near the net handle the puck once in recent memory.  Tkachuk is one of the best controllers of the puck in any situation, yet he is only available to tip the puck?  Nobody behind the net with the puck.  NO zone entries with speed that results in a shot right away.  As you mentioned, it's a very static setup, like it's caught up in a system and doesn't allow for fluid play. 

I know that Backlund is a good player to have on a PP, but he doesn;t fit the first unit.  He used to be the mainstay of the 2nd unit and could be counted upon for scoring plays when the first unit was not able to.  Brodie is being overused, IMHO.  I like him better as a PK player, along with Gio, Stone, and Hamonic.  

I don't know if this would have better results, but the skillsets could really help define a more fluid setup.

PP1

Tkachuk-Monahan-Johnny

Janko-Hamilton

Benefits - Janko one-timer, Hamilton able to get the puck on net, Johnny able to set up Tkachuk, Hamilton or Monahan plus off-wing shot at net.  Hamilton and Johnny have good zone entries.  Tkachuk can screen or top.  Monahan cleans up.

PP2

Bennett-Backlund-Ferland

Gio-Stone

Benefits - Two good shots from the point, Backlund controls the play down low, Ferland screens or fires from off-wing, Bennett drive's the net.  Strong board play maintains possession.  Ability to enter the zone and keep the puck moving forward. 

Why not Brodie and Giordano on PP2 if they were so good together before? Stone on the PP scares me for getting back fast enough. He has a good shot but that is the only benefit.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Why not Brodie and Giordano on PP2 if they were so good together before? Stone on the PP scares me for getting back fast enough. He has a good shot but that is the only benefit.

You see the result of playing Brodie with Hamilton.  Brodie thinks he's a QB out there, and all he does right is give the puck to someone else.  He makes questionable choice with the puck at the blueline and it more often than not results in a turnover.  The other thing is the point of the PP is to get shots on net.  Brodie is ineffective in doing that.  Even in a 2 on 1, he waffles more than he gets shots away.  Brodie is a better option for the PK and hey can keep him overall minutes down as a result.  There's no way a 2nd pairing D-man should be play 25 minutes a night.

Stone is a better option for RD on the PP than Gio.  We used to play Wideman in that spot and he potted more than a few goals.  Since this is the 2nd unit, they will get less minutes than the top unit and face the 2nd PK unit.  For that amount of time, I don't mind giving up some speed for a hard shot.  

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You see the result of playing Brodie with Hamilton.  Brodie thinks he's a QB out there, and all he does right is give the puck to someone else.  He makes questionable choice with the puck at the blueline and it more often than not results in a turnover.  The other thing is the point of the PP is to get shots on net.  Brodie is ineffective in doing that.  Even in a 2 on 1, he waffles more than he gets shots away.  Brodie is a better option for the PK and hey can keep him overall minutes down as a result.  There's no way a 2nd pairing D-man should be play 25 minutes a night.

Stone is a better option for RD on the PP than Gio.  We used to play Wideman in that spot and he potted more than a few goals.  Since this is the 2nd unit, they will get less minutes than the top unit and face the 2nd PK unit.  For that amount of time, I don't mind giving up some speed for a hard shot.  

I agree with the waffling and indecisiveness by Brodie but he gets shots through as good as anyone. I just don't like Stone's lack of speed to get back on the PP.

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

What is the nature of Versteeg's injury ? He wasn't playing very good to start the season but he is a good player on the PP and he could be the RW for Bennett and Jankowski.

58 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What is the nature of Versteeg's injury ? He wasn't playing very good to start the season but he is a good player on the PP and he could be the RW for Bennett and Jankowski.

Hip surgery.  Reports that he will be available in mid-March.

20 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I agree with the waffling and indecisiveness by Brodie but he gets shots through as good as anyone. I just don't like Stone's lack of speed to get back on the PP.

Won't know until you try it.

0/4 and 0/5 in the last two games should warrant change. Why not throw a guy out who shoots 105+ and if he is the cause of a short handed goal against, then you know.

45 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Won't know until you try it.

0/4 and 0/5 in the last two games should warrant change. Why not throw a guy out who shoots 105+ and if he is the cause of a short handed goal against, then you know.

Just a precaution, I really don't care what or who they try so long as they start potting some goals.

At this point, our PP is so terrible, that I would tell the players the current plan is out the window. In practice, take the play book and throw it into the stands along with the stick. Get the players to devise their own strategies or hire someone else to come up with a new plan. These days, I am not really excited when we get a PP, and I am a little concerned that we will be scored upon. 

• Like 1

I wonder what we would need to give up for Martin Frk. 24, RW, fits in with our group very well and has a rocket of a shot, something our PP is missing.

Question is what does DET want? My thinking is a G or D prospect of ours, Andersson or Gillies come to mind. Steep price IMO, but DET really doesn't need to move Frk obviously, so it would have to be a worthwhile offer to do so

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/video/frk-blasts-one-timer-for-ppg/t-277437404/c-53443503

Want to throw out a ridiculous idea today.

Would Vancouver ever consider doing monahan for horvat?

Monahan to me, is becoming a thomas vanek, obviously a center and better defensively, but is nowhere to be  found unless he shoots/scores.

Would be nice to add someone else who can create with Johnny.

6 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Monahan to me, is becoming a thomas vanek, obviously a center and better defensively, but is nowhere to be  found unless he shoots/scores.

I don't agree with that assessment. He may not be the strongest guy on the boards but fundamentally he is very sound. We need a bigger stronger Gaudreau on RW not another sniper IMO. This would make them all scorers by spreading it around.

I wonder what the cost would be to get Rick Nash. He can play either wing, he has size and can still score. We could throw him on the 3rd line. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

If we're sending Monahan anywhere, it should be to the Isle's to bring Tavares back this way.