The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

The other situation could be the lack of any movement from Backlund on a new contract. The fact he can play C or LW provides the team flexibility with the Cs we have coming and he is at 3.25M vs 6M or 5M for Backlund.

I had considered that too, but if they are shipping Backlund out, it better be for a top 6 winger and at worst 3rd line defensive C.  Maybe that a dreamland demand, but you just don't sell a 2-way C for a project.  Let me put it this way.  I think Smith's value is quite low; not Stajan low, but no more than what Lazar brought back.  The expected return shouldn't be much more than a B prospect considering his stats and injuries this year.  

8 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I don't see any trade that would benefit the Flames until we Fix our "System". We have a great forward, defense, goalie group and are winning because of that; despite the terrible GG system our team is dragged down to play. On our PP we can change out all our players but nothing will change until a successful system is implemented. I see the team improving more from a firing of an assistant or head coach than bringing in a player that will have a hard time adapting to how we play the game.

Do you know what the system is to be ? From all accounts my understanding is a number of teams use the one GG is incorporating here or trying to with management's support.

He was hired to bring in the system PIT uses and ironically we have similar records but not their payroll or star players. I won't pretend to have the answers for huge improvements but could it be we just have to wait for our talented players to be another year advanced and experienced ? Sure we could keep changing coaches every 2 years but that isn't good for your player group either.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I had considered that too, but if they are shipping Backlund out, it better be for a top 6 winger and at worst 3rd line defensive C.  Maybe that a dreamland demand, but you just don't sell a 2-way C for a project.  Let me put it this way.  I think Smith's value is quite low; not Stajan low, but no more than what Lazar brought back.  The expected return shouldn't be much more than a B prospect considering his stats and injuries this year.  

I wasn't suggesting Backlund for Smith. I don't know what Backlund brings if traded at the TDL with UFA pending, probably just picks I would think.

18 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I don't see any trade that would benefit the Flames until we Fix our "System". We have a great forward, defense, goalie group and are winning because of that; despite the terrible GG system our team is dragged down to play. On our PP we can change out all our players but nothing will change until a successful system is implemented. I see the team improving more from a firing of an assistant or head coach than bringing in a player that will have a hard time adapting to how we play the game.

I would say getting production from the 4th line would help.  The cheap choice is bringing in a line from the AHL and sitting the vets.  Mangiapane-Hathaway-Lomberg.  Don't expect them to be grinders.  Play them a little sheltered.  Could they be any worse than the current stat line of 1g for an entire line?

0 interest from me in Zack Smith unless they take Brouwer or Stone, heck even Stajan+ if we did an in-season trade.

We have paid Stajan over 3 mill to centre our 4th line for far too long and now that this offseason he is finally gone I would like to get cheaper on the 4th line

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

0 interest from me in Zack Smith unless they take Brouwer or Stone, heck even Stajan+ if we did an in-season trade.

We have paid Stajan over 3 mill to centre our 4th line for far too long and now that this offseason he is finally gone I would like to get cheaper on the 4th line

I would consider Zack Smith for Stone. It would get Rusmus Andersson into the mix and help back up any decision to trade Backlund. I'm not saying trade Backlund but Smith could play 4th line LW as well.

15 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I would consider Zack Smith for Stone. It would get Rusmus Andersson into the mix and help back up any decision to trade Backlund. I'm not saying trade Backlund but Smith could play 4th line LW as well.

That's a reasonable deal for all parties.

I would also consider Stajan + (Sinkaruk or Poirier) + Wotherspoon.

They save actual dollars on Stajan ($2.5m actual this season) + $3.25m over the next few years.

They get a D-man that is NHL quality, but won't get a chance to play here.  At good as Kulak.

Sinkaruk or Poirier is the kind of guy that could thrive in the East.

Maybe a suggestion for the off season, but what about Ryan Strome for a bottom 6 RW? He is more or less a 30 point guy, shoots right, can take the odd draw, and while the sample size is limited, he had 3 goals and 8 points over 15 playoff games with the Isles.

I wouldn't want to pay him more than he currently makes, which is why maybe the off season makes more sense (assuming the oilers don't want to give him a raise and he becomes a UFA). 

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's a reasonable deal for all parties.

I would also consider Stajan + (Sinkaruk or Poirier) + Wotherspoon.

They save actual dollars on Stajan ($2.5m actual this season) + $3.25m over the next few years.

They get a D-man that is NHL quality, but won't get a chance to play here.  At good as Kulak.

Sinkaruk or Poirier is the kind of guy that could thrive in the East.

I think they will let Stajan close it out here. How are Shinkaruk and Poirier doing in Stockton ? Don't hear much on them so can't be anything great.

Shinkaruk is tied for second in goals on the team with Foo and Klimchuk.  Not much of a playmaker, but a decent finisher.  Poirier is languishing a bit, with only 3 goals and 16 points this season.  He has one of the worst shooting percentages on the team.  Neither guy looks much like an nhler, but the coaches are reasonably happy with Poirier's progress, given how he is recovering from a substance abuse problem combined with a shattered confidence.  A long term project, anyway.

29 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Shinkaruk is tied for second in goals on the team with Foo and Klimchuk.  Not much of a playmaker, but a decent finisher.  Poirier is languishing a bit, with only 3 goals and 16 points this season.  He has one of the worst shooting percentages on the team.  Neither guy looks much like an nhler, but the coaches are reasonably happy with Poirier's progress, given how he is recovering from a substance abuse problem combined with a shattered confidence.  A long term project, anyway.

THX ABC

2 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Either would be a project for another team.  I would trade Shinakruk before Poirier, even though Shinkaruk likely has a higher ceiling.  Give the guy a chance where he may actually have a crack at the lineup.  The only reason Stajan is playing right now is due to his faceoff numbers.  If we had someone else close to him, he would sit out.  I don;t think Stajan's time is done in the NHL this year, but I don;t think he;s a great candidate to play limited 4th line minutes on a grinder line.  He would be a good 3rd line C for the Oilers, among other teams.  Maybe ARI.  On Ottawa, he could be used with Pageau and Pyatt.  Not exactly a heavy line.  Anyway, just thinking out loud.  Probably makes some sense just to keep Stajan as a Black ACe for the playoffs.  We aren't going to score much with him on the 4th line.

Do we all agree that if we are not in a playoff position by TDL that we MUST trade Backlund for something?  (We can still try to sign him back in the summer).

50 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Do we all agree that if we are not in a playoff position by TDL that we MUST trade Backlund for something?  (We can still try to sign him back in the summer).

Personally, I would like to see Brodie go before Backland. 3 yrs at 3.5 - 4 mil should be about right. Trade Brodie to the Eastern conference for what I would hope to be a RHS RW/C. Then find a replacement for Kulac. The more I see him play, the more I question his hockey sense. He has become so indecisive, especially lately. Maybe someone from Stockton could come up to take his place.

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

NO...   :lol:   .   It would also allow Gully the excuse to use Brouwer for even more faceoffs in critical situations...   :ph34r:

Anyone can be traded for the right return, but trading Backlund would open a huge hole that would need to be filled immediately and also externally as there is no one  currently in the system to fill it..    For the right return, sure...   But they are not going to get that kind of return as a rental...

Probably a mute point anyway, as negotiations are underway to get Backlund re-signed...   Backlund has expressed  his not being thrilled that a new contract is being negotiated during the season, but the timing also indicates it is something the Flames want to get done...

The only way I see that trade even potentially occurring is if Backlund is looking for more than a fair market value contract, and I don't think that will happen...   He has said on different occasions that he likes playing for, and living in Calgary...

It is not a must trade situation at all, and making that trade it for a rental  price return is not worth the risk...   As for "We can still try to sign him back in the summer", that is a high risk bet, an unnecessary risk, and there are a number of other teams that would be willing to offer Backlund a pretty good dollar to have him on their roster...   The pride factor would also likely kick in if he was traded as a rental as he has already been playing for less than market value... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

This idea that you trade at the deadline a player to get assets and then re-sign him after the season is a dream at best.

BT has shown one thing that he is good at. That is re-signing players to bargain prices. He waits until the last moments on a lot of them.... JH is a good example of this.

Backs even with his slightly less productive season is considered a core player here. He is also one of the top 5, 2 way players in the game. You rarely see teams trade these guys especially when they are centers.. Just about every SC contender needs one.... 

• Like 1

I'm fairly confident that Backlund will be re-signed, guessing at a Cap Hit of $5M for 5 years.

I predict that the Flames will not make any trades of significance by the TDL.

However, I would not be surprised if a trade was made at the draft.

Perhaps Stone for picks. I feel that Andersson could fill his spot right now.

What's a #4 / #5 RHRD going for these days? A high 1st? A couple of 2nds? A 2nd & two 3rds?

He has a modified NTC (15 teams that he cannot be traded to).

3 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

This idea that you trade at the deadline a player to get assets and then re-sign him after the season is a dream at best.

BT has shown one thing that he is good at. That is re-signing players to bargain prices. He waits until the last moments on a lot of them.... JH is a good example of this.

Backs even with his slightly less productive season is considered a core player here. He is also one of the top 5, 2 way players in the game. You rarely see teams trade these guys especially when they are centers.. Just about every SC contender needs one.... 

If Brodie is that highly regarded in the league I trade him for a Kings ransom than. Trade him for a top6 RW and 1st rounder. Backs is a must sign. 

If we continue in turmoil, I wonder what it would take to get Boris Katchouk from Tampa.

We see what Tkachuk adds now and I think we need more hard players like that.

Katchouk should be that kind of player.

Konecny in Philly, Bjorkstrand coming up in Florida, Ho-Sang and whatever the Isles are messing up there.

We have to be harder to play on the 2-3 lines, and none of that is in our system, imho.

If I could trade Backlund for Katchouk and Sustr yesterday, I would.

Tampa's going for a cup, Backlund's a huge upgrade, he'd be better there.

We have to add toughness, Katchouk would be a great add for a prospect.

Backlund is worth a 1st round pick.  Easily.  Maybe even an additional 2nd rounder too.  We traded our 1st away so it would be a great way to get one back.

AND above all, we can sign Backlund back in the summer.  Because reality is, he could go test the market even if we don't trade him.  There's little news about contract talks (perhaps both sides are refusing to negotiate during the season).  In any event, no news is bad news.  He's an asset we need to manage well.

All this is contingent on the Flames spiraling down the standings by TDL.

6 hours ago, Krule said:

Personally, I would like to see Brodie go before Backland. 3 yrs at 3.5 - 4 mil should be about right. Trade Brodie to the Eastern conference for what I would hope to be a RHS RW/C. Then find a replacement for Kulac. The more I see him play, the more I question his hockey sense. He has become so indecisive, especially lately. Maybe someone from Stockton could come up to take his place.

I would trade Brodie too if the price was right.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

If we continue in turmoil, I wonder what it would take to get Boris Katchouk from Tampa.

We see what Tkachuk adds now and I think we need more hard players like that.

Katchouk should be that kind of player.

Konecny in Philly, Bjorkstrand coming up in Florida, Ho-Sang and whatever the Isles are messing up there.

We have to be harder to play on the 2-3 lines, and none of that is in our system, imho.

If I could trade Backlund for Katchouk and Sustr yesterday, I would.

Tampa's going for a cup, Backlund's a huge upgrade, he'd be better there.

We have to add toughness, Katchouk would be a great add for a prospect.

Anyway to get Taylor Raddysh from Tampa?

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Backlund is worth a 1st round pick.  Easily.  Maybe even an additional 2nd rounder too.  We traded our 1st away so it would be a great way to get one back.

AND above all, we can sign Backlund back in the summer.  Because reality is, he could go test the market even if we don't trade him.  There's little news about contract talks (perhaps both sides are refusing to negotiate during the season).  In any event, no news is bad news.  He's an asset we need to manage well.

All this is contingent on the Flames spiraling down the standings by TDL.

The talks have started up.  Backlund said it's not when he wanted to do it, but that is what's happening. 

I think we should trade Stone, maybe in the summer unless the right price comes now.  I would like to trade Brodie, but that's just because he's not being used right here.  He's basically always been at his best playing with Gio, yet we need him to play LD for some reason.  He's not a top 4 on LD.  About 50% of the time he plays well, but that's when he forgets that he's on LD.  If a trade could bring back a RHS forward and a forward prospect, it would be perfect.    

14 hours ago, Carty said:

NO...   :lol:   .   It would also allow Gully the excuse to use Brouwer for even more faceoffs in critical situations...   :ph34r:

Anyone can be traded for the right return, but trading Backlund would open a huge hole that would need to be filled immediately and also externally as there is no one  currently in the system to fill it..    For the right return, sure...   But they are not going to get that kind of return as a rental...

Probably a mute point anyway, as negotiations are underway to get Backlund re-signed...   Backlund has expressed  his not being thrilled that a new contract is being negotiated during the season, but the timing also indicates it is something the Flames want to get done...

The only way I see that trade even potentially occurring is if Backlund is looking for more than a fair market value contract, and I don't think that will happen...   He has said on different occasions that he likes playing for, and living in Calgary...

It is not a must trade situation at all, and making that trade it for a rental  price return is not worth the risk...   As for "We can still try to sign him back in the summer", that is a high risk bet, an unnecessary risk, and there are a number of other teams that would be willing to offer Backlund a pretty good dollar to have him on their roster...   The pride factor would also likely kick in if he was traded as a rental as he has already been playing for less than market value... 

I heard the positioning by the Flames is 6 for 5M and Backlund is asking 5 for 6M. If the negotiation is going no where by the TDL I think BT should trade him and at least get some draft position back for the next draft. You would replace Backlund's experience right away but as an organization the Flames have built up solid C depth.

37 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I heard the positioning by the Flames is 6 for 5M and Backlund is asking 5 for 6M. If the negotiation is going no where by the TDL I think BT should trade him and at least get some draft position back for the next draft. You would replace Backlund's experience right away but as an organization the Flames have built up solid C depth.

Even if we were to get a 1st for Backlund, is it worth it?  27-31st overall?

I actually think 5 x 6m is a safer bet s long as there is no clauses, since we don;t know what he will be in 6 years.  IF he is replaced on the depth chart, trade him then.

Retain some salary if needed, but he wold still have value.  If Neal is worth $6m, then so is Backlund.