The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

The bigger scare with my and Ryan is the NMC and the pending Seattle expansion draft. Would cost the Flames likely a good young player at that point.

I think you have to pass. He looked good in the playoffs and still does at time and his skill set fits, but that is just such a bad contract...

I could be wrong on this but if we traded for Ryan it would be up to the Flames to re-up or honor that NMC, because I think it would be voided by the trade, then again it might just be the modified NTC and not NMC.

Also what if the trade was worked similar to the Phaneuf trade where Ottawa takes Brouwer and eats 25% of Ryan, which brings Ryan down to $5.8m. Ottawa saves a few million and then they could buy out Brouwer in the off season and save even more. Ryan is more useful than Brouwer for us at this point.

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Fox is a Flame for now.  He's indicated that he's understands the depth in CGY and wouldn't mind playing in the AHL to learn the pro game.  Maybe just talk, but he is saying the right things.  I'm not sure what the Jultz situation is with him if he leaves college after 2 years.  I may be mistaken, but he could sign with the Flames upon leaving college or wait till August 15th to be UFA.  I think.  He could also sign an ATO with the Heat.  Depends when and if they want to burn a year like with Gaudreau.

Fox, or for that matter any college player has to play the full 4 years of college before they have the option of walking after Aug 15th if not signed.  Fox has to decide if he wants to play earlier, and if so he has to sign with the Flames.

18 hours ago, JTech780 said:

There have been some rumors today that teams inquiring about Erik Karlsson are being asked to take Bobby Ryan's contract too.

There is a lot of risk there, but I wonder if trading a package for Karlsson and sending Brouwer for Ryan is worth the risk. I also wonder if we are seriously looking at Karlsson if Hamilton has to be the main piece going back the other way. 

Karlsson would be an upgrade on Hamilton in just about every way except contract, the risk of losing Karlsson to UFA or having to pay him 8x$10m after that is kind of scary, plus having Ryan's $7.25m on the books for 4 more years would make that trade pretty difficult. Add to that that we are going to have to re-up Tkachuk at North of $6m soon. 

But man Karlsson is so dynamic and such a difference maker that it would be worth contemplating.

I think a package of Geo-Brouwer plus a prospect...Anderson/Kylington might do the trick.  Ottawa drops about $3m/first 2 yrs and likely $8m/last 2 yrs for a huge savings.  They get a much older D but a great one and a great leader, and if the prospect is ready end up sitting pretty well.  For the Flames its risky and you'd have to have assurances that Karlsson would re-sign at a reasonable number, and believe that Ryan can come back to something closer to his earlier production.  If you are confidant on Karlsson I would be inclined to take that risk....

17 hours ago, cross16 said:

No thanks for me. 

Flames already went the aging former superstar route at RW. Don't bother with a 2nd one and I actually think Jagr was a better fit than Iginla. 

I don't think I would go that route, but then again, can he beat out Hathaway?  Probably, yes.

Along the same line of thinking, are there any Olympic players we could sign for the rest of the season that would be a help?

4 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

I think a package of Geo-Brouwer plus a prospect...Anderson/Kylington might do the trick.  Ottawa drops about $3m/first 2 yrs and likely $8m/last 2 yrs for a huge savings.  They get a much older D but a great one and a great leader, and if the prospect is ready end up sitting pretty well.  For the Flames its risky and you'd have to have assurances that Karlsson would re-sign at a reasonable number, and believe that Ryan can come back to something closer to his earlier production.  If you are confidant on Karlsson I would be inclined to take that risk....

I wouldn't take those risks nor would I expect Karlsson not to go UFA or a Ryan comeback.

16 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Do you think Stone and Bennett would get you Hoffman ?

I think that is close but probably would want Ottawa to throw in a mid-round pick... Ottawa is getting the best of the deal with two good players, though Hoffman is the best of the bunch.  Where would the Flames play Hoffman if they got him?  You could put him with Gaudreau and Monahan and bump Ferland down to the Jankowski line?

8 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I am not big on moving Brodie and definitely not big on obtaining Karlsson.

I see Brodie and Karlsson equal defensively.

Both are known for give aways.

Karlsson twice the offensive output of Brodie but twice the cap.

I don't see either thriving under GG.

Under a different system and coach I could see Brodie improving offensively making him an absolute bargain in comparison to Karlsson.

Taking your comments into account and Brodie I think BUF under Housley would be a good career move for Brodie. As for the Flames with using Brodie there has to be a deal there that helps us.

8 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Under a different system and coach I could see Brodie improving offensively making him an absolute bargain in comparison to Karlsson.

Fully agree on the defensive coverage, both are suspect and bring zero physicality to the game.  Karlsson obviously is much more explosive offensively so if you could trade the two, with other pieces it would be a gain for the Flames....

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I wouldn't take those risks nor would I expect Karlsson not to go UFA or a Ryan comeback.

If Karlsson goes UFA his value goes way down and unless you got him at a good rate its a no-brainer "no".  

At this point with the Flames dropping like a rock in the standings we'll be hard sellers come Monday unless they turn it around fast.  If they lose against Vegas tonight they'll be at least 2 pts back of both the Pacific 3rd or the Wildcard 2nd, with 3-4 teams above them, all having games in hand.  Smith still out and Brouwer back both bad for the Flames so I'm not holding my breath....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

If Karlsson goes UFA his value goes way down and unless you got him at a good rate its a no-brainer "no".  

At this point with the Flames dropping like a rock in the standings we'll be hard sellers come Monday unless they turn it around fast.  If they lose against Vegas tonight they'll be at least 2 pts back of both the Pacific 3rd or the Wildcard 2nd, with 3-4 teams above them, all having games in hand.  Smith still out and Brouwer back both bad for the Flames so I'm not holding my breath....

I don't know what to say if you think value goes down in UFA for an elite plate such as Karlsson. UFA allows every team to bid for is services not just the one he is current playing for. Sorry I disagree.

If there is a good hockey trade for BT over the next few days I hope he makes it, it not take it into the offseason.

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I could be wrong on this but if we traded for Ryan it would be up to the Flames to re-up or honor that NMC, because I think it would be voided by the trade, then again it might just be the modified NTC and not NMC.

This is technically correct, but past precedent is that most clauses are reinstated as part of the trade negotiations. Most players don't agree to waive the NMC to facilitate the trade and then also agree to not have it put back in place, they'll just use the NMC and veto the trade if the acquiring team won't allow them to keep it. 

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't know what to say if you think value goes down in UFA for an elite plate such as Karlsson. UFA allows every team to bid for is services not just the one he is current playing for. Sorry I disagree.

If there is a good hockey trade for BT over the next few days I hope he makes it, it not take it into the offseason.

What I said/meant is his value for an acquiring team, like the Flames is going to be less if we believe we only have him for 1 more year before he walks in UFA, versus having him tied up for longer.  If he goes to UFA of course his personal value goes through the roof but it doesn't do much for whatever team just saw him walk out the door.

• Like 1

I think Karlsson's "I'm going to test UFA no matter what" public stance reduces the desire for teams to trade for him.  It's almost a certainty that if he hits UFA, then he's getting $10-million-per over 7.  It's hard to trade a bunch of young assets for him only to have Karlsson for 1.25 seasons. It's almost better to wait for Karlsson to hit UFA and then try to sign him without giving up pieces.

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

I think that is close but probably would want Ottawa to throw in a mid-round pick... Ottawa is getting the best of the deal with two good players, though Hoffman is the best of the bunch.  Where would the Flames play Hoffman if they got him?  You could put him with Gaudreau and Monahan and bump Ferland down to the Jankowski line?

Sorry CCC I just saw your question here.

I understand Hoffman isn't strong defensively so I would make these moves, Tkachuk to JG/SM RW, Hoffman with MB/MF and Ferland with MJ.

Bit of context I thought was interesting around Adam Fox. This is an interview from Clayton Keller of the Coyotes

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Brodie eats minutes... He can play top 4 minutes but is really a extremly water dosn version of Karlsson. Brodie wil never win the hardware Karlsson has but Karlsson could win it again. That stated I would not want him, BT for all his bad has been very good at contracts that will balance the roster for awhile 

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I want Karlsson.  As I have always said, if I could have two players for $10-mil, I'd prefer them to be something like a $9-mil + a $1-mil over two guys making $5-mil each.

I get everyone hates Kane including me but I wonder if a Brodie and Mangiapane would get Kane (rental) plus Nylander or Reinhart plus a 2nd pick. Thoughts ?

We could move Hamonic over Stone up and bring in Andersson.

In an ideal world I would love Erik Karlsson. Talent like that doesn't come around often

But that being said I don't see the Flames being able to pull this off. If Ottawa is serious about wanting to put Ryan in the deal (can't for the life of me understand why it's a horrible idea) the Flames don't have the cap space to take on both Karlsson and Ryan and still keep everyone. If it's Karlsson on his own I struggle to see the Flames having the pieces without gutting what is already a pretty shallow team/NHL ready prospect pool to begin with. 

I agree with Peeps that if you want him I think you'll have to wait till he is a UFA and I would think the odds of that are slim at best. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I get everyone hates Kane including me but I wonder if a Brodie and Mangiapane would get Kane (rental) plus Nylander or Reinhart plus a 2nd pick. Thoughts ?

Imho any trade from the rosterstarts with Brodie. I have a hard time , despite his struggles, giving up on Bennett, we know how long Backs took to develop. Anderson/ Kulak were solid. If Hamonic was worth 1st and 2 2nds, what's Brodie worth? I would say your close but i would take out Mags and the 2nd. Brodie to Ott for their 1st and Pageau, Melly gets a cheap contract we get a RW and a 1st back lol 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I want Karlsson.  As I have always said, if I could have two players for $10-mil, I'd prefer them to be something like a $9-mil + a $1-mil over two guys making $5-mil each.

Would you trade Gaudreau and Monahan for McDavid?

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I think Brodie gets us Reinhart straight up.  Not too sure about Nylander as he's struggling to develop right now (last time I checked anyways) so his value is dropping.  Mangiapane doesn't have much trade value right now.  I think he fetches a 3rd round pick if we wanted to move him right now.  I'm sure the Sabres are asking in return for Kane: a 1st round pick + prospect + bottom pair/3rd/4th line  NHL player.

7 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Would you trade Gaudreau and Monahan for McDavid?

Yes I would.

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think Brodie gets us Reinhart straight up.  Not too sure about Nylander as he's struggling to develop right now (last time I checked anyways) so his value is dropping.  Mangiapane doesn't have much trade value right now.  I think he fetches a 3rd round pick if we wanted to move him right now.  I'm sure the Sabres are asking in return for Kane: a 1st round pick + prospect + bottom pair/3rd/4th line  NHL player.

Yes I would.

I don't think they will come close to that for Kane but we will see. If Brodie and Mangiapane got us  Reinhart, Nylander and a 2nd I would be all over that and forget Kane.