The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

One name I haven't heard much probably because he was injured, but Chris Kreider would check a lot of boxes for us, and if the Rangers are in fire sale mode he might be available.

He is big, fast and scores goals.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't think they will come close to that for Kane but we will see. If Brodie and Mangiapane got us  Reinhart, Nylander and a 2nd I would be all over that and forget Kane.

I think if you want Reinhart + Nylander + 2nd then we're talking Brodie + Hamonic

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think if you want Reinhart + Nylander + 2nd then we're talking Brodie + Hamonic

I don't think so, two well established top 4 defensemen for a 3 year RW and a young (as you said struggling prospect). Mind you I think both have way more potential than shown to date but that is what you are buying. These 2 would go a long way in addressing our RW.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Yes I would.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Better question would be who wouldn't? 

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Apparently Cheersman wouldn't.

In the next 4 seasons Gaudreau and Monahan will bring more points/dollar combined than McDavid will, making that tandem a better deal for a team in the short term.  From season 5 and on, the deal sways toward McDavid when Gaudreau ages and enters another long term costly deal.  Let me say this, if all 3 players were entering an 8 yr deal next season, with their current dollars, then retiring, I think I keep the tandem.  That is not the case though, McDavid will live on, meaning the swap now will pay dividends later.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Bit of context I thought was interesting around Adam Fox. This is an interview from Clayton Keller of the Coyotes

I love to hear other players talk about our prospects because sometimes scouting reports are from the draft year.  I'm looking forward to seeing him in Flames silks.

If him and Valimaki cam in at the same time, we would have a dynamic pairing.  At that time, BT will really have to figure out what they need to keep from the current roster.

With any luck it will coincide with the end of Brodie's current deal and at a point where Gio still has value, assuming his play has dropped off.

Personally, I would prefer to keep Hamonic over Brodie because of the bigger game he plays.  Just me, I guess.  I think he's not the right fit with Brodie.

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

In the next 4 seasons Gaudreau and Monahan will bring more points/dollar combined than McDavid will, making that tandem a better deal for a team in the short term.  From season 5 and on, the deal sways toward McDavid when Gaudreau ages and enters another long term costly deal.  Let me say this, if all 3 players were entering an 8 yr deal next season, with their current dollars, then retiring, I think I keep the tandem.  That is not the case though, McDavid will live on, meaning the swap now will pay dividends later.

I know that McDavid sells popcorn, but at some point he may decide to ask for a trade.  He wants EDM to re-sign Maroon.  He's probably fed up now with the dumb moves or lack of moves that Chia has made this year.  Does he really want to play for a team that will trade to tank again this year?  Next year, they will have less assets to trade, so it will be more of the same.  Draisaitl for Karlsson sounds about right.  Maroon for picks.  Strome for picks.  

Unlike a lot of team, the Bakersfield team is full of nobodies.  Bear and Jones are about their best prospects and they aren't even scoring as much as Wotherspoon.  Not much to improve the team between now and 3 years from now.

Man this team isn't making BT's job easy, they have lost 5 of their last 7 going into the TDL, while the California teams are all on winning streaks.

At this point adding isn't the best idea for this team, trade Stajan for a 5th or 6th. Trade Brodie and Stone if you can get a fair return. Re-tool next year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

At this point adding isn't the best idea for this team, trade Stajan for a 5th or 6th. Trade Brodie and Stone if you can get a fair return. Re-tool next year.

And unsign Backlund.  Trade him as a rental. Re-sign him back in the summer.

If BT makes a trade for a rental this year he should be fired on the spot.  At this point we might do some sort of fourth line player swap, but otherwise I expect us to be quiet until the offseason.

• Like 1

I have to agree. Need to be honest here. Don't blow it up, be patient but if you can recoup some picks you should. 

Unfortunately i think they need to move some pieces around, and bigger pieces, and that's tough to do at the TDL. Best left to offseason. Flames would be best not to panic. 

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

And unsign Backlund.  Trade him as a rental. Re-sign him back in the summer.

Backlund re-signing after you trade him is wishful thinking, that wouldn't happen. You need Backlund going forward, especially because Jankowski still looks like a bit of a project.

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have to agree. Need to be honest here. Don't blow it up, be patient but if you can recoup some picks you should. 

Unfortunately i think they need to move some pieces around, and bigger pieces, and that's tough to do at the TDL. Best left to offseason. Flames would be best not to panic. 

I think you have to take an honest look at Stone, Brodie and Bennett.  The first two have the most value to a contender.  Bennett would be a swap with a team that loves his game, sending us a guy they don;t love.  Reinhart from Buffalo, since they could use some grit in place of smarts.  Similar pedigree.  Saad for Bennett for cap reasons.  One gives you a RHS C/RW, while the other is a top 6 player.  

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

I agree, let's move Stajan and Bartkowski for whatever you can get for them, as they aren't going to make or break our chances of making the playoffs, and they are really our only rentals.

I think you start looking to see what the market for guys like Brodie an Stone are, but don't move them just to move them. Brodie would be more of draft time trade than at the deadline. 

One other guy I would be quietly checking the market for is Monahan. Love the player, and he has been very clutch for us, but I question his leadership and his overall game. When he is scoring he is great, when he isn't he isn't very noticeable on either side of the puck. St. Louis is going to losing Stastny to free agency this summer, and they have a ton of prospects, could you get two of Robert Thomas, Jordan Kyrou, Klim Kostin, Tage Thompson or Robby Fabbri, plus a pick or roster player. 

Something to think about as I think this team needs a shake up in leadership.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

One other guy I would be quietly checking the market for is Monahan. Love the player, and he has been very clutch for us, but I question his leadership and his overall game. When he is scoring he is great, when he isn't he isn't very noticeable on either side of the puck. St. Louis is going to losing Stastny to free agency this summer, and they have a ton of prospects, could you get two of Robert Thomas, Jordan Kyrou, Klim Kostin, Tage Thompson or Robby Fabbri, plus a pick or roster player. 

Something to think about as I think this team needs a shake up in leadership.

I have no problem exploring a hockey trade for Monahan, at this point I think you need to evaluate everyone, but I don't think you can do it for prospects. Have to try and make a hockey deal becuase as much as I agree Monahan has some flaws let's not revisit having a massive hole at center that takes another 10 years to fill. 

At this point though you have to be open minded to anything IMO. Outside of Tkachuk and Hamilton I see no reason to be so in love with another on the roster that you can't trade them for the right return. Clearly their is something big missing. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have no problem exploring a hockey trade for Monahan, at this point I think you need to evaluate everyone, but I don't think you can do it for prospects. Have to try and make a hockey deal becuase as much as I agree Monahan has some flaws let's not revisit having a massive hole at center that takes another 10 years to fill. 

At this point though you have to be open minded to anything IMO. Outside of Tkachuk and Hamilton I see no reason to be so in love with another on the roster that you can't trade them for the right return. Clearly their is something big missing. 

I think if you targeted Thomas as the main part of that trade, he I think he would be NHL ready here in short order. You are right though, it has to be the right trade, but this core is obviously too ok with losing. I think if you make a big trade like moving a Monahan and/or Brodie the hope is that the rest of the core gets a wake-up call.

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree. I look at this roster .  we have a (currently injured ) Goalie playing out of his mind, Dmen in the Norris conversation , a winger fighting for a Hart Trophy , a sophmore with a realistic shot at 30 goals.. but yet so many nights our GAF meter is covered in cobwebs..and yet playoffs are looking less and less likely by the game..

I look up at Edmonton , so much promise one year , crashed right back to Earth the next ..whats the biggest change up there ?  Hendricks...  I dont think its a coincidence Winnipeg is suddenly looking like Cup contenders . Its undervalued what that guy brings .. hes not a big name, but he brings a component that makes others play better .

We need a Hendricks....    Hoffman, Gallagher, guys like that

I think Montreal would back up the Brinks truck if we put Monahan in play. So would Columbus. I also think Carolina would be a major player in that deal too. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think if you targeted Thomas as the main part of that trade, he I think he would be NHL ready here in short order. You are right though, it has to be the right trade, but this core is obviously too ok with losing. I think if you make a big trade like moving a Monahan and/or Brodie the hope is that the rest of the core gets a wake-up call.

I like Thomas a lot but I don't see Monahan upside. I see im peaking at a 2nd line center at best so that's a trade I view as a big step back but in theory i get what you are saying and don't disagree. 

I have read that there are whispers that Treliving wants to make a big move but it's obviously tough to do mid season or during the season at all. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I like Thomas a lot but I don't see Monahan upside. I see im peaking at a 2nd line center at best so that's a trade I view as a big step back but in theory i get what you are saying and don't disagree. 

I have read that there are whispers that Treliving wants to make a big move but it's obviously tough to do mid season or during the season at all. 

Yeah at this point Treliving's hands are tied and I think if anything you see a Stajan moved out or a depth winger brought in, but nothing major. The draft, now that's a different story, I can see him really looking to shuffle the deck.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Monahan won't be going anywhere. I see a lot of frustration hitting the trade suggestions. This team needs some additional speed in the right places and certain players playing with the right combinations.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Saad for Bennett straight up.

@ least throw in a steak dinner & dozen roses.:lol:

I'd do that trade 11 times out of 10

10 hours ago, ABC923 said:

If BT makes a trade for a rental this year he should be fired on the spot.  

Totals man.

Don't trade away anymore picks thinking we are one piece away from winning it all.  That's what got Darryl Sutter into trouble here as GM.