The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think you have to take an honest look at Stone, Brodie and Bennett.  The first two have the most value to a contender.  Bennett would be a swap with a team that loves his game, sending us a guy they don;t love.  Reinhart from Buffalo, since they could use some grit in place of smarts.  Similar pedigree.  Saad for Bennett for cap reasons.  One gives you a RHS C/RW, while the other is a top 6 player.  

I'm thinking of Buffalo players but figure they probably want to keep their young forwards (after all, they tanked hard to get them :lol:) .except Kane.

Ristolainen is having a down year but I can see him getting tired of the perpetual rebuild with the fans(?) cheering loses & booing wins. I'd offer all 3 of Brodie, Stone & Bennett straight up for Risto. Heck, I'd even throw in Brouwer @ 50% off but Buffalo is probably on his 15 team NTC list. Brodie is a partial replacement, Stone can fill in for the ofen injured Bogo & Bennett gives them both the Sams they were trying to decide which to take.

Risto is $5.4 for another 4 years after this & giving up the 3 saves about 4.5ish to help in our pursuit of a top line winger.

I'd like to add Saad too but with cap strapped Chicago I'd be offering a package of low cost prospects. Rocky Wirth is probably against a long term rebuild so that pkg. gives it a kickstart.

15 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'm thinking of Buffalo players but figure they probably want to keep their young forwards (after all, they tanked hard to get them :lol:) .except Kane.

Ristolainen is having a down year but I can see him getting tired of the perpetual rebuild with the fans(?) cheering loses & booing wins. I'd offer all 3 of Brodie, Stone & Bennett straight up for Risto. Heck, I'd even throw in Brouwer @ 50% off but Buffalo is probably on his 15 team NTC list. Brodie is a partial replacement, Stone can fill in for the ofen injured Bogo & Bennett gives them both the Sams they were trying to decide which to take.

Risto is $5.4 for another 4 years after this & giving up the 3 saves about 4.5ish to help in our pursuit of a top line winger.

I'd like to add Saad too but with cap strapped Chicago I'd be offering a package of low cost prospects. Rocky Wirth is probably against a long term rebuild so that pkg. gives it a kickstart.

Ristolainen would be ideal but they would want a boatload for him. If we could steal Reinhart or Nylander in te same deal maybe we should consider what goes in the boat.

Brouwer would be an anchor so he is out. LOL

Obviously if Ristolainen is a part from their side Brodie, Stone could go in from our side, perhaps add Fox, Kylington and Mangiapane to sneak Nylander in to us.

Would this boatload be enough ?

Not sure that Lawton is any kind of reliable source, but if true that doesn't sound good for Smith's return.

Rittich has done an admirable job, but he is a little over his head at this point. Gillies doesn't look quite ready. I am not sure that there is a goalie out there that will get us into the playoffs. Lehner is so inconsistent, he can look like an elite goalie sometimes and others he looks like he has no interest in playing at all. Chad Johnson can be good in stretches, but I don't think he is better than Rittich. Aaron Dell might be available but would the Sharks trade him in the division?

If we are looking for a top 9 forward I hope it's a hockey deal, let's not chase anything that isn't there.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Not sure that Lawton is any kind of reliable source, but if true that doesn't sound good for Smith's return.

Rittich has done an admirable job, but he is a little over his head at this point. Gillies doesn't look quite ready. I am not sure that there is a goalie out there that will get us into the playoffs. Lehner is so inconsistent, he can look like an elite goalie sometimes and others he looks like he has no interest in playing at all. Chad Johnson can be good in stretches, but I don't think he is better than Rittich. Aaron Dell might be available but would the Sharks trade him in the division?

If we are looking for a top 9 forward I hope it's a hockey deal, let's not chase anything that isn't there.

There isn't a Goalie out there to come in and save the season for us. If Smith doesn't make it back then use Rittich and Gilles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think it's garbage.  Believe that EK reoported the same stuff.  BT talked about his belief in the goalie depth we have, so I can't see any reason to even look elsewhere.  The top 9 F is a no-brainer.

28 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

For Saad, I would offer Bennett and some prospect we have.  I have few that are off limits.  The money is right for them.

They are missing the playoffs this year, so there is less reason to pay Saad's money.  Bennett is likely to blossom in CHI-town with the talent they could play him with.  

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Monahan won't be going anywhere. I see a lot of frustration hitting the trade suggestions. This team needs some additional speed in the right places and certain players playing with the right combinations.

He probably won't you are right.

But I think the biggest mistake you can make as a GM is falling in love with your roster or pieces of your roster. Treliving isn't doing his job if he doesn't look top to bottom at the team and find any way to make the team better. I think the trap you call into is thinking everyone will always work out. we've got Monahan so we're good at cetner, we've got Gaudreau so we're good there, we've got Valamaki so we're good down the left side etc etc etc.

don't fall in love with the players, especially when you have a team that is clearly missing something. I think this team needs more than a piece or two and some new line combos....

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Honestly though, if Gillies isn't ready now then he won't be at all.

don't waste assets trading for a goalie. Find out what you have in Rittich and Gillies and if it means missing the playoffs then your team wasn't good enough in the first place. 

Just now, MAC331 said:

Ristolainen would be ideal but they would want a boatload for him. If we could steal Reinhart or Nylander in te same deal maybe we should consider what goes in the boat.

Brouwer would be an anchor so he is out. LOL

Obviously if Ristolainen is a part from their side Brodie, Stone could go in from our side, perhaps add Fox, Kylington and Mangiapane to sneak Nylander in to us.

Would this boatload be enough ?

I figure Brodie, Bennett & (to a lesser degree) Stone is a boatload for reasons I explained.

As I said Brouwer is unlikely due to his NTC. 

Subtracting Bennett in favor of a hand full of prospects while adding Nylander to their give is most unlikely. Drafting high for years has given then =/> prospects that they selected & GMs tend to want to see results of their own drafting rather than just add some non-roster 1s from other teams. There is also the matter of the # of contracts. Buffalo is now @ 46/50.Adding 3 that are roster players while removing 1 brings them to 48 which leaves room for whatever they get for the problem child. Adding 5 while subtracting 2 leaves 1 spot.

Again, I stress greed kills trades. We see all these pending UFAs not traded simply because their GMs are greedyin the ask. I predict more han 1 of those rentals will remain with their current team only to walk after the season.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think it's garbage.  Believe that EK reoported the same stuff.  BT talked about his belief in the goalie depth we have, so I can't see any reason to even look elsewhere.  The top 9 F is a no-brainer.

For Saad, I would offer Bennett and some prospect we have.  I have few that are off limits.  The money is right for them.

They are missing the playoffs this year, so there is less reason to pay Saad's money.  Bennett is likely to blossom in CHI-town with the talent they could play him with.  

I would rather stay with Bennett here with your suggestion of playing him with Backlund and Frolik. If the excuses are eliminated by having him play with good experienced players with some life left in them maybe he flourishes here.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He probably won't you are right.

But I think the biggest mistake you can make as a GM is falling in love with your roster or pieces of your roster. Treliving isn't doing his job if he doesn't look top to bottom at the team and find any way to make the team better. I think the trap you call into is thinking everyone will always work out. we've got Monahan so we're good at cetner, we've got Gaudreau so we're good there, we've got Valamaki so we're good down the left side etc etc etc.

don't fall in love with the players, especially when you have a team that is clearly missing something. I think this team needs more than a piece or two and some new line combos....

Fair enough but you have to take into consideration the subtractions and if what you are getting back excels the plan or puts you into a waiting period again. I also agree it is the GM's job to constantly be in the hunt to improve the team.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I meant the Saad trade happens after we've already sent Bennett to the Sabres. :)

I should have mentioned they were 2 stand alone trades in that order with the Saad trade to more than replace Bennett. Sorry about that.

We've seen it with both SJ and ANA. They had years where they went from division champs to missing the playoffs, they cleaned out their bottom 6 (literally no one in the bottom 6 returned) and the following year, they won the division again.

I think that's what's we need.  Literally no one needs to return on our bottom 6.  I would trade them all for Vegas bottom 6. We will win the division with that next season.

8 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I figure Brodie, Bennett & (to a lesser degree) Stone is a boatload for reasons I explained.

As I said Brouwer is unlikely due to his NTC. 

Subtracting Bennett in favor of a hand full of prospects while adding Nylander to their give is most unlikely. Drafting high for years has given then =/> prospects that they selected & GMs tend to want to see results of their own drafting rather than just add some non-roster 1s from other teams. There is also the matter of the # of contracts. Buffalo is now @ 46/50.Adding 3 that are roster players while removing 1 brings them to 48 which leaves room for whatever they get for the problem child. Adding 5 while subtracting 2 leaves 1 spot.

Again, I stress greed kills trades. We see all these pending UFAs not traded simply because their GMs are greedyin the ask. I predict more han 1 of those rentals will remain with their current team only to walk after the season.

I would have no problem leaving said deal to just Ristolainen. I am just trying to use our prospect surplus with LSD and LW to pick up either a 3rd line or 2nd line RW.

Also I would like to keep Bennett if GG would use him with MB and MF but if they can't see doing that trade him.

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Honestly though, if Gillies isn't ready now then he won't be at all.

don't waste assets trading for a goalie. Find out what you have in Rittich and Gillies and if it means missing the playoffs then your team wasn't good enough in the first place. 

Gillies needs to clear waivers next season too?

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Last I heard , Gilles does not need Waivers next season , Rittich Does 

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes he does, but I would be surprised if he was claimed, unless he takes the ball and runs with it the rest of this year.

The couple of games he has gotten into this year he has looked very shaky, now both were in relief so hard to judge. 

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yes he does, but I would be surprised if he was claimed, unless he takes the ball and runs with it the rest of this year.

The couple of games he has gotten into this year he has looked very shaky, now both were in relief so hard to judge. 

just found it , nope he still has a season to go 

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-calculator/jon-gillies

This is from Eklund, so take it for the Fake news it probably is.. but first thing that comes to mind is , who the heck would we want from Boston ? (that they would actually give up for Bennett that is ) ?

On Calgary and Bennett....

Word out of NY, the Flames may be working on a blockbuster because some are hearing that Sam Bennett is very likely to be moved....most say traded BEFORE Monday... Hearing the Bruins... Adding Bennett to the Rumor Chart...

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

This is from Eklund, so take it for the Fake news it probably is.. but first thing that comes to mind is , who the heck would we want from Boston ? (that they would actually give up for Bennett that is ) ?

On Calgary and Bennett....

Word out of NY, the Flames may be working on a blockbuster because some are hearing that Sam Bennett is very likely to be moved....most say traded BEFORE Monday... Hearing the Bruins... Adding Bennett to the Rumor Chart...

I would ask for Jake DuBrusk

• Like 2

Thought that might be an error on Capfriendly but they seem pretty sure they are right...

Guess we'll find out. I don't know most Calgary beat reports i've listened to or read about seem to think he is wavier eligible.Based on Capfriendly and the data though it appears he is not. I was pretty sure he was. 

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I meant the Saad trade happens after we've already sent Bennett to the Sabres. :)

I should have mentioned they were 2 stand alone trades in that order with the Saad trade to more than replace Bennett. Sorry about that.

Maybe if we had the 18 year old Sam Bennett and part of 19 year old Sam Bennett we could do it.

The latest version is stressing me out.

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'm a huge Ristolainen fan since his WJC domination.  But I just don't see how we get Ristolainen without including Hamilton in the deal.  Both RHS RD.  I can't see BUF not wanting a RD back.  Plus it makes sense for the Flames to move out a RD if Ristolainen factors into our top 4.

22 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I would ask for Jake DuBrusk

Everything that is being said about the Bruins is that they aren't trading any of their young roster players.

They do have lots of prospects though. Ryan Donato is playing at Harvard with Adam Fox so that could be a good guy to look at, he just put up 5 goals in 5 games for the Americans at the Olympics. He has 21 goals in 23 games for Harvard this year. Trent Fredric is a beast at 6'3" 215lbs and plays in all the hard areas, as BT would say he plays in the guts of the game. Jakob Frosbacka Karlsson, Jakub Zboril, Jermey Lauzon, Zach Senyshyn, Urho Vaakanainen, Ryan Lindgren are all solid prospects as well.

Not sure if Boston trades anyone off their roster this season, maybe Ryan Spooner.