The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

46 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yes he does, but I would be surprised if he was claimed, unless he takes the ball and runs with it the rest of this year.

The couple of games he has gotten into this year he has looked very shaky, now both were in relief so hard to judge. 

So, you don't think a massive young goalie gets claimed?  

There are a ton of basement teams that would be lining up for him, IMHO.

EDM is one of them.  Even though Brossoit didn't work out doesn't mean they wouldn't claim him.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, you don't think a massive young goalie gets claimed?  

There are a ton of basement teams that would be lining up for him, IMHO.

EDM is one of them.  Even though Brossoit didn't work out doesn't mean they wouldn't claim him.

Each team only has 2 spots for goalies on their roster, so if you claim Gillies you have to be sure that he better than what you have on the roster. Gillies has been pretty average at the AHL level and in his tiny sample of NHL play he hasn't been very good. If he gets waived at the beginning of the year when teams are pretty much set with their rosters, I don't think he would get claimed.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Everything that is being said about the Bruins is that they aren't trading any of their young roster players.

They do have lots of prospects though. Ryan Donato is playing at Harvard with Adam Fox so that could be a good guy to look at, he just put up 5 goals in 5 games for the Americans at the Olympics. He has 21 goals in 23 games for Harvard this year. Trent Fredric is a beast at 6'3" 215lbs and plays in all the hard areas, as BT would say he plays in the guts of the game. Jakob Frosbacka Karlsson, Jakub Zboril, Jermey Lauzon, Zach Senyshyn, Urho Vaakanainen, Ryan Lindgren are all solid prospects as well.

Not sure if Boston trades anyone off their roster this season, maybe Ryan Spooner.

Thing is tho if you trade him at the deadline, even later .. to walk from Bennett you gotta be able to sell it as not giving up ("we had to trade a very promising player to get this done !")   i dont see him getting traded for prospects or picks .. Spooner or Debrusk, ya , BT could sell that ..

14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Thing is tho if you trade him at the deadline, even later .. to walk from Bennett you gotta be able to sell it as not giving up ("we had to trade a very promising player to get this done !")   i dont see him getting traded for prospects or picks .. Spooner or Debrusk, ya , BT could sell that ..

See I think I would rather have Donato or Fredric over Spooner or Debrusk. Donato is a bit of a risk as he is eligible to go to UFA after this year at college, but if you could get him signed along with Fox as they are probably buddies it would be a big win. Donato is probably pretty close to playing in the NHL. Fredric like Donato is a center, Fredric isn't as skilled as Donato but he is big and physical and would make a great checking line center and he is the type of player that you win with. 

Spooner and Debrusk are basically just depth pieces, not really core pieces, solid players but not anything special.

• Like 1

Never have understood the Ristolainen love here. Housley has had to bench him multiple times this season and his underlying numbers are terrible. Sure he gets some points but his 5 on 5 game is brutal. To even contemplate trading Hamilon for him is a massive step backward. Sabres would take that and run all the way to the bank. 

He isn't a bad player but he's a player you need to heavily shelter in an offensive role to help you and there are significant defensive kinks you'll have to iron out. Pretty risky and certainly not worth the type of return that gets thrown out here. Hamilton is significantly better than Risto. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

We've seen it with both SJ and ANA. They had years where they went from division champs to missing the playoffs, they cleaned out their bottom 6 (literally no one in the bottom 6 returned) and the following year, they won the division again.

I think that's what's we need.  Literally no one needs to return on our bottom 6.  I would trade them all for Vegas bottom 6. We will win the division with that next season.

Agreed. I do think exploring bigger trades is a good way to go but at the end of the day it's going to be hard to get better players than Monahan/Gaudreau because why is said team giving up a better player? Dealing them for futures/picks also makes no sense to me.

Lots of pieces are here on this team but their bottom 6 is well below avg, bottom pairing could use work and they need a shooter for their top 6. There are significant holes on the roster but there are still some nice pieces. 

There was a play Sam Bennett made in yesterday's game against LV... Puck was turned over at the blueline and dumped into the Knights corner.  Bennett was first guy there and gets the puck wide open without pressure for a full 1.5 seconds (and more time if he wanted).  He had Jankowski completely wide open streaking down the middle.  Bennett steps off the side boards and shoots (I want to say 'pass' but that undermines what 99% of NHLers do to give the puck to their teammate), he "shoots" the puck 4 feet BEHIND Jankowski and the puck leaves the attacking zone.

So they say,

Good players go to where the puck is.

Great players go to where the puck is going to be.

AND what about BAD players then?  "Shoots passes where their teammate was 2 strides ago"?  Does this BS even belong in the NHL?  If this was an isolated incident it's forgivable but game in game out Bennett does something completely amateur (and that's choosing a nice word already).

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

There was a play Sam Bennett made in yesterday's game against LV... Puck was turned over at the blueline and dumped into the Knights corner.  Bennett was first guy there and gets the puck wide open without pressure for a full 1.5 seconds (and more time if he wanted).  He had Jankowski completely wide open streaking down the middle.  Bennett steps off the side boards and shoots (I want to say 'pass' but that undermines what 99% of NHLers do to give the puck to their teammate), he "shoots" the puck 4 feet BEHIND Jankowski and the puck leaves the attacking zone.

So they say,

Good players go to where the puck is.

Great players go to where the puck is going to be.

AND what about BAD players then?  "Shoots passes where their teammate was 2 strides ago"?  Does this BS even belong in the NHL?  If this was an isolated incident it's forgivable but game in game out Bennett does something completely amateur (and that's choosing a nice word already).

I personally think we failed Bennett

His First real NHL Game , was playoffs .. and yes, he showed well, I'll even go so far as to say he earned the right to start with the team the next season 

BUT, Hartley was wrong to keep him up . He needed AHL Time , to where we had no choice but to bring him in (ala Janko)

So now we suffer with an underdeveloped player .only solutions are to rough it out (like the last 2 years ) or give him a fresh start 

But if you trade him , we need a Now player back.. then maybe prospects as addition 

Flames for sure failed Bennett. Not many teams saddle young offensive players with the kind of poor talent the Flames did and then expect results but I've said that enough. I also happen to believe he's actually not having that bad a season. 5 on 5 his numbers actually look pretty decent, he just can't bury his chances and I still don't think he's found his game because he just can't seem to get chances to go in. You have to stick with him IMO as I still think he can be a player for you.

if you deal him it better be for a similar talent or part of a bigger package you can't give him away. There isn't a lot of talent on LW either so it's not like the Flames are deep there either. There isn't much on the Bruins i'd be really interested in to be honest. They are trading you the likes of Pastrnak, McCoy etc and outside of that I don't see how the flames get better by trading Bennett for Debrusk, spooner etc. 

Do a better job of developing Bennett, don't just ship him off. Flames need to be more patient as an organization. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

This is from Eklund, so take it for the Fake news it probably is.. but first thing that comes to mind is , who the heck would we want from Boston ? (that they would actually give up for Bennett that is ) ?

On Calgary and Bennett....

Word out of NY, the Flames may be working on a blockbuster because some are hearing that Sam Bennett is very likely to be moved....most say traded BEFORE Monday... Hearing the Bruins... Adding Bennett to the Rumor Chart...

A 2nd this year & conditional 2nd in 2019.

Conditions based on Bennett resiging it becomes another 1st.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I'm a huge Ristolainen fan since his WJC domination.  But I just don't see how we get Ristolainen without including Hamilton in the deal.  Both RHS RD.  I can't see BUF not wanting a RD back.  Plus it makes sense for the Flames to move out a RD if Ristolainen factors into our top 4.

Stone is a RHD.

Wpg. seems to work well with 3 RHD that have all had top pair play this year.

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames for sure failed Bennett. Not many teams saddle young offensive players with the kind of poor talent the Flames did and then expect results but I've said that enough. I also happen to believe he's actually not having that bad a season. 5 on 5 his numbers actually look pretty decent, he just can't bury his chances and I still don't think he's found his game because he just can't seem to get chances to go in. You have to stick with him IMO as I still think he can be a player for you.

if you deal him it better be for a similar talent or part of a bigger package you can't give him away. There isn't a lot of talent on LW either so it's not like the Flames are deep there either. There isn't much on the Bruins i'd be really interested in to be honest. They are trading you the likes of Pastrnak, McCoy etc and outside of that I don't see how the flames get better by trading Bennett for Debrusk, spooner etc. 

Do a better job of developing Bennett, don't just ship him off. Flames need to be more patient as an organization. 

Personally I hope they keep Bennett and play him with Backlund and another good RW. I like your idea of moving Frolik down with Jankowski. If Bennett can't make a go of it with Backlund then maybe you start considering a trade. If he takes off then BT might want to trade Gaudreau down the road.

38 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Personally I hope they keep Bennett and play him with Backlund and another good RW. I like your idea of moving Frolik down with Jankowski. If Bennett can't make a go of it with Backlund then maybe you start considering a trade. If he takes off then BT might want to trade Gaudreau down the road.

Exactly, trading bennett would be a massive mistake in my opinion. They just havent played him with the right players, hathaway is not a top 9 forward. They either need to push him up with backlund and tkachuk or even the top line, or find a 3rd line right wing (Nash ideally) by using a D prospects. Adam fox isnt going to resign here so i would use him

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Monahan won't be going anywhere. I see a lot of frustration hitting the trade suggestions. This team needs some additional speed in the right places and certain players playing with the right combinations.

I agree Monahan has his deficiencies but he should be part of the solution... There's about a dozen moves I'd do before getting to worrying about Monahan.  Look, if Vegas can lead the league first year with the cast-offs they have what could we accomplish with different coaches and philosophy, and getting speed and intensity into the line-up versus deadweights and complacency?  

6 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

I agree Monahan has his deficiencies but he should be part of the solution... There's about a dozen moves I'd do before getting to worrying about Monahan.  Look, if Vegas can lead the league first year with the cast-offs they have what could we accomplish with different coaches and philosophy, and getting speed and intensity into the line-up versus deadweights and complacency?  

I think you have to give the players most the credit there for bonding together and defying the odds. The coach was very average with results in a few other assignments. I don't think there is any denying we need to either get faster or start hitting people. Here in lies our dilemma I believe in that we are in between and as some have said don't have our own identity. Kings you know their style same with ANA. Our skill mix is rather passive so I think we need more speed to compliment players such as Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Never have understood the Ristolainen love here. Housley has had to bench him multiple times this season and his underlying numbers are terrible. Sure he gets some points but his 5 on 5 game is brutal. To even contemplate trading Hamilon for him is a massive step backward. Sabres would take that and run all the way to the bank. 

He isn't a bad player but he's a player you need to heavily shelter in an offensive role to help you and there are significant defensive kinks you'll have to iron out. Pretty risky and certainly not worth the type of return that gets thrown out here. Hamilton is significantly better than Risto. 

Ya but Hamilton doesn't have a brain, remember?

I'm not saying I would do it but just saying I don't see how the Sabres trade Ristolainen without asking for Hamilton back in return.

Would they/you do Ristolainen for Hamonic?  I would.  Hamonic has been shakey this season.  Two Finns Valimaki - Ristolainen pairing would be stellar moving into the future.  Gio - Hamilton is a good top pair.  Keep them together if we could.  Our bottom pair could be a make-up of Fox, Andersson, Kylington, Kulak.  Pretty solid I think.  

Right now Brodie is hurting us more than helping us and Hamonic is playing below his potential.

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Stone is a RHD.

Wpg. seems to work well with 3 RHD that have all had top pair play this year.

Well Stone doesn't tilt the scale though.  I doubt anyone wants Stone considering his contract.  He's overpaid for a bottom pair D and I don't feel he's a second pair on most teams.

Hamonic will move the needle.  He still has name recognition despite having a down year.  Does he still have a NTC?  I know we need "some one like him" but even he hasn't been him this season.  If we offer Bennett + Hamonic, then the Sabers will listen.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why don't we just try to sign Tavares this summer and keep Monahan?

From Tavares POV, why would he leave a team that has been surrounded with arena issues to come to us with our arena issues? If he reaches July 1 he will be going to a team with a bright future and no question marks about whether or not the team will relocate in 5 years

36 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

From Tavares POV, why would he leave a team that has been surrounded with arena issues to come to us with our arena issues? If he reaches July 1 he will be going to a team with a bright future and no question marks about whether or not the team will relocate in 5 years

Did someone just sat say Las Vegas? lol

You know what amazes me is all the deals that are talked about are seldom what takes place. LOL

These GMs usually come up with something right out of Left Field.

My curiosity is growing by the day what if anything BT will do by the TDL.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

So why would he stay here if we trade for him?

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I can't disagree with you and see the same things. I was actually looking through the top of the 2014 1st round today and a none of the forwards except Draisaitl have turned into anything special and even he has had struggles.

What I keep reminding myself is Bennett is the second youngest player on the team by a fair margin and he missed almost his entire first pro year. I used to think his biggest problem was simply confidence and putting too much pressure on himself, this year I find it's more slow decision making on the ice.

Did we ruin him by playing him down the lineup and at center for so long, time will tell. He has undeniable skills and I haven't given up hope that he can improve his weaknesses to become a very effective player. Any trade for Bennett I hope would return a 50 point winger, as I think that's what his over/under in a regular season down the road will be.

53 minutes ago, Milney23 said:

So looks like Nash, Grabner and Green will be dealt tonight all are healthy scratches. Think we are in on any?

Being stratched tonight doesn't mean they will be traded tonight. They will be traded by Monday and teams are just protecting their assets. I don't know who we would be in on at this point. After last night, I wouldn't give these guys any help...