The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

It would take something like that to land any combination of those Ottawa players. The problem is that with a 50 man limit for rosters the Sens couldn't absorb that many contracts.

Your value is much closer than that in many posts.

I didn't notice the name in other posts but see you are fairly new. Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome. You are correct about the number of contracts. It would require tweaking. OTT would probably have to add Oduya and maybe other things would have to happen as well. For complexity reasons this may not work out anyway. It appears Karlsson wants to be in Tampa.

Nice to have that depth down the stretch and in the playoffs. From all accounts he has been really good for Stockton.

On 2/22/2018 at 4:57 PM, The_People1 said:

Why don't we just try to sign Tavares this summer and keep Monahan?

Because he won't make it to FA. And add to that BT has a long history of overpaying for FA's.....

On 2/23/2018 at 4:58 PM, The_People1 said:

I wouldn't do a Karlsson + Ryan deal unless significant cap hit was held back by the Sens, like 50%.  Even then, you have to understand Karlsson has openly stated he will test UFA as a certainty.  This means we would potentially have Karlsson for the rest of this season and the next.  Then he leaves via UFA. Then we be stuck with Ryan for 4 years.

When a player wants out they say stuff like this. When a player wants more money than being offered they say stuff like this. Any team who would like to trade for a player just needs to get an understanding they would be willing to re-sign...

Side note - Pet peeve:

Please make note it is "re-sign" not "resign".

Re-sign means to sign a contract again.

Resign means to quit and give up your position...

HUGE difference

• Like 1

Giving the massive over payment for a 33 year old rental Rick Nash, I’m thinking the best thing the Flames could do this year is 

unload the Stajains, Versteegs, and Brewers as best as they can get as many 3rd, 2nd and 4th rounders as they can, they can be more suseful come draft day.

TDL 2018 is just way over priced?

add in in the fact we are low on picks this year from other moves the past few years, there is no way they can make the smart moves to fill the proper holes.  any moves this year would handcuff them moving forward, I think the best option is to clear space and just see what the core can do and bring in some call up to get some experience, you never know who may surprise.  

They may may or may not make the playoffs this year so why gamble, best bet with the team core being as young as they are is to plan and prepare for next year and beyond.  This strategy has win, win potential as they could actually make the post season and have as much as a chance at it with this route as if they were to over pay now anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Giving the massive over payment for a 33 year old rental Rick Nash, I’m thinking the best thing the Flames could do this year is 

unload the Stajains, Versteegs, and Brewers as best as they can get as many 3rd, 2nd and 4th rounders as they can, they can be more suseful come draft day.

TDL 2018 is just way over priced?

Not sure what you are saying with Nash but Stajan, Versteeg and Brouwer are dead wood with no demand for them. Stajan and Versteeg will be done their contract at the end of the season. BT will either have to buyout or take back money to move Brouwer in the offseason.

I'm curious as to what the Flames will do around this TDL if anything.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Not sure what you are saying with Nash but Stajan, Versteeg and Brouwer are dead wood with no demand for them. Stajan and Versteeg will be done their contract at the end of the season. BT will either have to buyout or take back money to move Brouwer in the offseason.

I'm curious as to what the Flames will do around this TDL if anything.

BOS just paid a kings ransom for Nash in my opinion, that’s what I’m saying there...and if Nash goes for that it gives you an idea what the likes of Kane and other top 10 on the bait list will be 

totally not not worth it, unload dead wood that simply don’t fit in with our core is the smart move, seems the best return is now for those types.

all three still have some game and uses to the right team, and now is the best time to move them, not unlike a few years ago when we move blake Cameau etc... that’s the type of moves we should look at, bet experience to a teams like Vagas would be solid moves for the Flames, I’m sure Stajan would be a great 3/4 Ctr for them moving into the post season

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

BOS just paid a kings ransom for Nash in my opinion, that’s what I’m saying there...and if Nash goes for that it gives you an idea what the likes of Kane and other top 10 on the bait list will be 

totally not not worth it, unload dead wood that simply don’t fit in with our core is the smart move, seems the best return is now for those types.

all three still have some game and uses to the right team, and now is the best time to move them, not unlike a few years ago when we move blake Cameau etc... that’s the type of moves we should look at, bet experience to a teams like Vagas would be solid moves for the Flames, I’m sure Stajan would be a great 3/4 Ctr for them moving into the post season

Stajan you can move, but you are probably getting a 4th/5th founder at most. Brouwer has no value at his current contract and term. Versteeg is injured and won't be back for a few more weeks, so no playoff team is going to pay for Versteeg. 

I think Calgary, if they do add, will be a last second deal when the prices come down, and for a player in the 2nd or 3rd tier of players in the market. Maybe something like Tatar and Ouellette from Detroit. I see that Ryan Hartman is on the TSN trade bait list, he would be a great add, he is kind of like Gallagher lite and thus wouldn't cost near as much.

I wonder what the price for Galchenyuk will end up being.  I think they may have come to the end of the rope on him.  On a bad team he's -27 already.  On pace for the same goals and points as last year, but in 21 more games.  If he could play RW, he might be a good fit for 3rd line RW.

33 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

WOW I have to admit to not seeing that Nash trade but just read it. Sweeney isn't the smartest GM around but there is a number of "correction" trades happening at some very high prices, yes. I hear TB is going after Karlsson aggressively, that would prove interesting.

I am not expecting much from BT but moves by others can cause moves for us sometimes unexpectedly. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Calgary, if they do add, will be a last second deal when the prices come down, and for a player in the 2nd or 3rd tier of players in the market. Maybe something like Tatar and Ouellette from Detroit. I see that Ryan Hartman is on the TSN trade bait list, he would be a great add, he is kind of like Gallagher lite and thus wouldn't cost near as much.

Maybe but I don't see anything that provides a big lift now that BT couldn't take into the offseason.

We need the type of deal that gets us a player that makes us better going forward and fits the core. This is why I think a player like Reinhart or A Nylander from BUF should be a target. Where this plays into my thinking is a different RW for Tkachuk and Backlund while moving Frolik with Jankowski and Ferland.

Stewart is a player that checks a few boxes for us, he is big, physical and on occasion can put the puck in the net. He is a RHS. Don't have to give up anything to get him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

WOW I have to admit to not seeing that Nash trade but just read it. Sweeney isn't the smartest GM around but there is a number of "correction" trades happening at some very high prices, yes. I hear TB is going after Karlsson aggressively, that would prove interesting.

I am not expecting much from BT but moves by others can cause moves for us sometimes unexpectedly. 

Solid point, that could open the door for moves we were not expecting.

the Karlsson thing could prove interesting but I don’t think we have all the Pierce’s Ott is looking for, particularly 1st round picks...although we do have high quality reasonable priced D in the likes of Brodie which I’m sure will be asked in addition to the 1st round pick(s)

all and alm it it seems to be be an overpriced TDL market this year, although of BT could nab Karlsson for the right price why not...again as long as we manage to keep the main core D together which I’m thinking is Hamilton, Hammer and Gio or Brodie 

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Maybe but I don't see anything that provides a big lift now that BT couldn't take into the offseason.

We need the type of deal that gets us a player that makes us better going forward and fits the core. This is why I think a player like Reinhart or A Nylander from BUF should be a target. Where this plays into my thinking is a different RW for Tkachuk and Backlund while moving Frolik with Jankowski and Ferland.

But why is Buffalo trading Reinhart or Nylander?

2 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Solid point, that could open the door for moves we were not expecting.

the Karlsson thing could prove interesting but I don’t think we have all the Pierce’s Ott is looking for, particularly 1st round picks...although we do have high quality reasonable priced D in the likes of Brodie which I’m sure will be asked in addition to the 1st round pick(s)

all and alm it it seems to be be an overpriced TDL market this year, although of BT could nab Karlsson for the right price why not...again as long as we manage to keep the main core D together which I’m thinking is Hamilton, Hammer and Gio or Brodie 

I wasn't suggesting a run at Karlsson however if they move him would they be interested in our Stone as a RHD,

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Question is are they?  I doubt they are or would kind of defeats the purpose of a rebuild in any sort, again, those are the type of guys we need to target but this time of year is usually the 30+ end of contract type AKA Nash

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I wasn't suggesting a run at Karlsson however if they move him would they be interested in our Stone as a RHD,

Solid point, they would probably have interest in a guy like him, could work well for them, although a down grade he should fill the back end hole of losing Karlsson 

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Only if we have something they could want, maybe numbers like a 3 for 1 with a prospect trade for Nylander. Just spitballing as BUF is going to have a lot of needs real soon.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Stewart is a player that checks a few boxes for us, he is big, physical and on occasion can put the puck in the net. He is a RHS. Don't have to give up anything to get him.

I really hope we pick him up. Like you said free acquisition cost and certainly an upgrade on Hathaway as 3rd line RW. Also comes in at a nice 1.15 on an expiring deal

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

You could grab Stewart and put him on our 3rd line RW. He has been an odd one to figure out throughout his career, he started so well in COL.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You could grab Stewart and put him on our 3rd line RW. He has been an odd one to figure out throughout his career, he started so well in COL.

He started well this year too, and I guess has fallen out, or maybe the Wild need the roster spot?

Just now, travel_dude said:

TOR just got Plekanec from MTL for a 2nd, Rychel, Baun and Valiev.

2nd and Rychel is a lot to start with, but the others are minor pieces.

Looking at what Nash went for, good thing BT is against rentals. Boston paid a ridiculous price for Nash who at this point in his career may not even be an upgrade on Spooner.

• Like 1