The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

19 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What could make sense is Stone to OTT for a LSD say Harpur. Then move Brodie to BUF for Sam Reinhart C/RW/RHS  If OTT pulls off a big trade involving Karlsson today they could use Stone as a RHD. Brodie to BUF I think makes sense for them and we fill the very need on our team that needs a fix 2nd or 3rd line RW with some production. BT could also pick up Oduya off waivers to fill in for the loss of Brodie.

Not if he wants to make the playoffs he won't. Oduya shouldn't be on an NHL roster at this point let anyone anyone near your top 4. He's been awful for Ottawa this year and has manged to drag down one of the best dmen in the game in Karlsson.

My gut still tells me the Flames do nothing today. I think they want to make a big move and they want to add a goal scoring winger but I think they'll get stuck with not wanting to make a mover off their roster, or move their top prospects so they will come up short. I still think they'll look to make a bigger splash maybe in the off-season. 

Would love if they could move Stone for even a pick or something and let Andersson play but I don't feel that's something they would have interest in doing. 

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if some trades start to come in after the waivers have been announced. Teams could be waiting to make small moves till after they find out if they got a Stewart, Oduya or Burrows. I know lots of people here hate Burrows, and I get it he was a royal pain in the Hash Rate for years, but I think he still has value going into the playoffs and his teammates love him. I am not sure there is a fit here.

Not for me on Burrows, can't stand the player. Plus I don't see the reasoning, you get the same type of play from Hathaway. I would rather see one or two moves that help now and our future.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not if he wants to make the playoffs he won't. Oduya shouldn't be on an NHL roster at this point let anyone anyone near your top 4. He's been awful for Ottawa this year and has manged to drag down one of the best dmen in the game in Karlsson.

My gut still tells me the Flames do nothing today. I think they want to make a big move and they want to add a goal scoring winger but I think they'll get stuck with not wanting to make a mover off their roster, or move their top prospects so they will come up short. I still think they'll look to make a bigger splash maybe in the off-season. 

Would love if they could move Stone for even a pick or something and let Andersson play but I don't feel that's something they would have interest in doing. 

If not Oduya some other defenseman to fill in should he move Brodie. If anyone comes knock for Stone BT will move him and that contract.

There was a lot of smoke around Calgary and Buffalo last night, there was reporters from both sides saying they were talking a lot. Evander Kane is the first name that comes to everyone's mind, and MAC will lose his mind if we don't go get Reinhart. The guy I wonder about is Okposo, I could see them wanting to get out of that contract and him being available. Okposo checks a few boxes for us, he is a RHS RW that can play in the top 6, and he has term. He has proven over the years that he can play with high skill players. I think any trade would include moving Brouwer for cap reasons, but I think BT might be looking for buy low opportunities on wingers with term. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

There was a lot of smoke around Calgary and Buffalo last night, there was reporters from both sides saying they were talking a lot. Evander Kane is the first name that comes to everyone's mind, and MAC will lose his mind if we don't go get Reinhart. The guy I wonder about is Okposo, I could see them wanting to get out of that contract and him being available. Okposo checks a few boxes for us, he is a RHS RW that can play in the top 6, and he has term. He has proven over the years that he can play with high skill players. I think any trade would include moving Brouwer for cap reasons, but I think BT might be looking for buy low opportunities on wingers with term. 

LOL not quite lose my mind as I have also said I could see BT taking this whole thing into the offseason. Unlike you I really don't see BT going for Okposo or Kane given the prices being obtained.

I think a trade of Brodie for Reinhart helps us in two ways, it gets us a RW/C that can provide some scoring and allows us to move Frolik down to the 3rd line which makes us stronger defensively. Also depending on who replaces Brodie we could get stronger defensively within the D corps as well.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If Mike Smith is out long term, Lehner might be a guy BT is looking at.

What will a RFA like Lehner cost you ? LOTS

Start thinking Chad Johnston maybe ?????

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What will a RFA like Lehner cost you ? LOTS

Start thinking Chad Johnston maybe ?????

If you don't qualify him in the offseason his contract doesn't cost anything next year.

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

LOL not quite lose my mind as I have also said I could see BT taking this whole thing into the offseason. Unlike you I really don't see BT going for Okposo or Kane given the prices being obtained.

I think a trade of Brodie for Reinhart helps us in two ways, it gets us a RW/C that can provide some scoring and allows us to move Frolik down to the 3rd line which makes us stronger defensively. Also depending on who replaces Brodie we could get stronger defensively within the D corps as well.

I see Brodie for Reinhart as a huge loss for us. I am not a huge fan of Reinhart, wasn't a big fan in his draft year either. I think what you are seeing with him now is what you get. He has smarts and is skilled, but he doesn't get into the hard areas of the game and he isn't a great skater. Reinhart is a player I would target if you can get him on the cheap.

• Like 1

Depending how long Smith is out I'm thinking goalies.

I see the best bet (from Ott or Buff since we're scouting the heck out of them) as Mike Condon. 2 years after this @ 2.4 isn't bad for a backup.

Gilles is doing ok but can't say the same about Rittich.

Injured goalie scare the heck out of me. In Wpg. Hutch is back from a concussion & Mason supposedly close but especially with concussions a relapse doesn't take much. Add the fact there are playing the heck out of Helle (like we did Smith) & fatigue sets in. That makes injury more likely.

IMO both the Flames & Jets should have a goalie who can be plan B @ the top of their deadline shopping list.

I would really like to see Hartman come here, he would be a great add to the 3rd line. The rumors of the cost being a 1st and a prospect are pretty scary though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I see Brodie for Reinhart as a huge loss for us. I am not a huge fan of Reinhart, wasn't a big fan in his draft year either. I think what you are seeing with him now is what you get. He has smarts and is skilled, but he doesn't get into the hard areas of the game and he isn't a great skater. Reinhart is a player I would target if you can get him on the cheap.

Sorry and will disagree. I will take smarts and skill any time over a player who isn't afraid to stick his nose in the "hard area". The question should be does he compliment someone like Backlund or Jankowski on RW.

BTW I have never seen where Reinhart is afraid of the hard areas but I understand when your favorite type of player is Gallagher. If we get stronger up front, add some scoring and are able to get better defensively on the back end I don't see this as a bad set of moves for us.

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If you don't qualify him in the offseason his contract doesn't cost anything next year.

That isn't the concern, what are you giving up for him ? we don't have much to trade with unless you use roster players.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This might be our move today.

I wouldn't doubt it and see BT take whatever else into the offseason. Stewart will give us some size should we make into the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would really like to see Hartman come here, he would be a great add to the 3rd line. The rumors of the cost being a 1st and a prospect are pretty scary though.

He was traded to Nashville for 2018 1st rounder, 2018 4th rounder & Victor Ejdcell a few minutes ago.

10 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

He was traded to Nashville for 2018 1st rounder, 2018 4th rounder & Victor Ejdcell a few minutes ago.

I really like Hartman but not at that price or anything near that price.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I wouldn't doubt it and see BT take whatever else into the offseason. Stewart will give us some size should we make into the playoffs.

Does Stewart come with term?  What's his cap?

Blues just traded Stastny to division rival Jets, this good news in a way for Calgary as the Blues are one of Calgary's competitors for a wild card spot if they can't secure a Pacific Division spot. Jets paid a lot to get Stastny.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

My stars!

The Jets get Paul Stastny for a 2018 1st, Eric Foley & a conditional 2020 4th rounder.

Suprised the heck out of me.

Good team just got better

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Blues just traded Stastny to division rival Jets, this good news in a way for Calgary as the Blues are one of Calgary's competitors for a wild card spot if they can't secure a Pacific Division spot. Jets paid a lot to get Stastny.

That is expensive especially since Stastny is a pending UFA.:unsure:

Also signals Jets going full in (Chevy just doesn't do these things) & the Blues waving the white flag.

Wowser! Seems days ago the Jets were fighying off the Blues for 2nd in the Central. :huh:

• Like 1