The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

10 minutes ago, Addicted said:

Does Stewart come with term?  What's his cap?

$1.15M and hes UFA..  not a bad gamble, hes playing for a contract , and when hes On , hes a player we can use 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Addicted said:

Does Stewart come with term?  What's his cap?

Cap hit 1.15 & UFA come July 1. Consider it a test drive & free depth for playoffs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flyerfan52 said:

That is expensive especially since Stastny is a pending UFA.:unsure:

Also signals Jets going full in (Chevy just doesn't do these things) & the Blues waving the white flag.

Wowser! Seems days ago the Jets were fighying off the Blues for 2nd in the Central. :huh:

Good vote of confidence by Chevy . I will be pulling for WPG should the Flames not make it.

• Like 1

Mmm I wonder if this Stewart thing is a stop gap for now...he’d be ok for 3rd line duty next year too, mind you getting him opens the ability to either create competition between Stewart, Brewer, Stajin and Versteeg 

im wondering if this is BT sticking  to his guns on some players not meeting expectations?  Low cost move short term, could work.  It also opens the possibility to move Stajan, Brewer, or Verstege...pretty sure this move makes those guys more expendable then ever now...my hope is that’s exactly wht he is doing, low cost and commitment replacement that lets us move a few dead weight bodies now?

8 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

My stars!

The Jets get Paul Stastny for a 2018 1st, Eric Foley & a conditional 2020 4th rounder.

Suprised the heck out of me.

Congrats.  Stastny still has game.  

I think if the Flames were shopping Backlund, this is what we were looking at.  The Blues got whatever they could've before Stastny leaves for nothing this summer.  Do they waive the white flag here?  Perhaps but they were honest, they aren't Cup contenders and simply making the playoffs isn't enough.

12 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

That is expensive especially since Stastny is a pending UFA.:unsure:

Also signals Jets going full in (Chevy just doesn't do these things) & the Blues waving the white flag.

Wowser! Seems days ago the Jets were fighying off the Blues for 2nd in the Central. :huh:

Paid a bit more for retaining salary, but it's costly.  Fits better in WPG, IMHO.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Congrats.  Stastny still has game.  

I think if the Flames were shopping Backlund, this is what we were looking at.  The Blues got whatever they could've before Stastny leaves for nothing this summer.  Do they waive the white flag here?  Perhaps but they were honest, they aren't Cup contenders and simply making the playoffs isn't enough.

I just found out the conditions for that 4th rounder. If the Blues don't sign Foley by Aug.16, 2019 they get the pick. Foley is a good prospect but still in college so this ensures something should he wait it out, finish school & go UFA.

• Like 1

I am with Cross we do nothing. Do not hate the Stewart signing as he is an upgrade over Hathway.  BT blew his wad getting Lazar and Hamonic. Nice to see Winnipeg making a run as has Nashville, two teams that just upgraded huge. Not a fan of bringing in a goalie at some point you have to put faith in what you have. Wonder what the hold up is the E Kane, the prices are high but are going to drop drastically now as we get closer to things expiring.

• Like 1

Just now, travel_dude said:

Paid a bit more for retaining salary, but it's costly.  Fits better in WPG, IMHO.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that the Blues retained 50% until this which caused me to check capfriendly.

Makes it a bit better IMO.

Nice that after hearing some players have Wpg. on their NTC list Stastny waived for the Jets. :)

Some talk that CGY is kicking the tires on Tatar.

Can't do it without sending back significant salary or 50% retain and send a guy like Stone.  

For both teams, it would need to be a hockey trade almost dollar for dollar.

1 minute ago, tmac70 said:

I am with Cross we do nothing. Do not hate the Stewart signing as he is an upgrade over Hathway.  BT blew his wad getting Lazar and Hamonic. Nice to see Winnipeg making a run as has Nashville, two teams that just upgraded huge. Not a fan of bringing in a goalie at some point you have to put faith in what you have. Wonder what the hold up is the E Kane, the prices are high but are going to drop drastically now as we get closer to things expiring.

I hope 2 o'clock (my time) comes & goes with E Kane still a Sabre. It'd senve rookie GM Botterril (a Wpg. born that I usually like) right for the ridiculous ask on a poison pill. I'd also go to HF & laugh @ all the Sabre fans that expected a gold mine.

Or trade him to Vancouver or Edmonton @ full price for a 7th. :lol:

6 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Hathaway is a much faster and better skater.  He's also winning to hit everything in sight.  Stewart fights but coasts around a lot.  We get slower if Stewart is here to replace Hathaway.  Stewart should be the 13th forward.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Hathaway is a much faster and better skater.  He's also winning to hit everything in sight.  Stewart fights but coasts around a lot.  We get slower if Stewart is here to replace Hathaway.  Stewart should be the 13th forward.

A player like Stewart can help with the heavier teams like the Kings and Ducks plus a few others. I would like to see depth with 13 and 14 that can actually help with various styles of competition.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think they are about even in the skating department. Hathaway has very inconsistent with his physical this year, and if he isn't flying around hitting everything and getting in the face of the opposition every shift, he really doesn't bring much to the table as he has zero offensive impact on the game. 

Stewart is playing for a spot in the league next year and his comments today sound like he gets that. He brings a huge upgrade offensive wise on Hathaway on the 3rd line.

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

A player like Stewart can help with the heavier teams like the Kings and Ducks plus a few others. I would like to see depth with 13 and 14 that can actually help with various styles of competition.

Stewart used to be a Flames killer.  If he scores 5 as a Flame, that 5 more than what Hataway would give you in equivalent games.

If Stewart plays for the Flames that is bad news.

He really is terrible. He is not even an upgrade over Browuer. Sounds like they picked him up for insurance for Ferland which is a bit scary that Ferland may miss some time here. 

But as a player, Stewart is not a good pick up. Give me Hathaway 10/10. 

The closer we get to the deadline the cheaper guys like Kane, Maroon and Vanek become. Have to wonder if BT is lurking in the weeds.

Edit: Kane is going to SJ.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The closer we get to the deadline the cheaper guys like Kane, Maroon and Vanek become. Have to wonder if BT is lurking in the weeds.

Edit: Kane is going to SJ.

well dang.. i can live with not getting him , the fact hes now helping a team we are fighting for a playoff spot really blows. Wish they could have at least sent him Back east 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

well dang.. i can live with not getting him , the fact hes now helping a team we are fighting for a playoff spot really blows. Wish they could have at least sent him Back east 

Didn't think Buffalo would get a 1st for Kane, hopefully BT was in there driving the price up once he realized that SJ was involved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Does it help them or wreck their locker room?

I don't recall him being a major factor on the ice.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Does it help them or wreck their locker room?

I don't recall him being a major factor on the ice.

The Kanester is going to California, poor kid is not going to get any sleep there.  :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Didn't think Buffalo would get a 1st for Kane, hopefully BT was in there driving the price up once he realized that SJ was involved.

its conditional ..im guessing on either SJ making the playoffs,winning a round,  or resigning him