The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The thing about using goalies is that we only have 3 prospects that look anywhere near NHL in the future.  Harder to replace that depth.  They can have Schneider or MacDonald.  We have much more depth on the backend.  

I was on the trade Bennett for Reinhart thing before, but I am now thinking that's a lateral move.  Not the biggest fan of Bennett, but I think you have to shoot higher than that.  Trading Brodie should bring back a quality return; any less then why bother.

That is the thing with you, you want to peddle what you think we won't need and expect that the other side will jump all over it, hardly. I agree with cross it may be to early to consider trading Gilles with only 1 more year of Smith and the need to get both Rittich and Gilles more experience.

I wish I could see us staying with Bennett however my first gut feeling was the kid isn't very smart. It may have been you that pointed out he has one way of playing and he was the same in Jr which won't work here. Reinhart is a smart hockey player, he may not have the speed of Bennett but I would say he is the better player with some consistent results. This is why I think BUF gets something extra if they even want to trade.

48 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

That is the thing with you, you want to peddle what you think we won't need and expect that the other side will jump all over it, hardly.

Keep your opinions about the topic.  No need to go any further.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Don't think that deal makes sense for either side to be honest. 

It certainly does not make sense for us. Bennett and Reinhart are similar players except that Bennett has more grit and shoots left. It is a lateral move at best. Throwing in a decent prospect is too much to give up.  

I wonder if we can't look at the Capitals situation as a dance partner for Michael Stone.

John Carlson is hitting UFA and he'll be getting paid by someone, hopefully Detroit. That'll be a 6.5-7 per pricetag. So unless they think Bowey is going to step right in, they're going to be needing some help slotting in the RD.

Maybe it gets us a Connelly or Wilson(with re-sign conditions or sign and trade). Or going above that, maybe Brodie gets us their 1st and Burakovsky.

They'll have to do something, because they currently can't pay Carlson what he's worth.

I'm just looking for teams with some problems arising at D, and Washington looks to be at the forefront.

We're knee deep in D prospects, really our only bargaining strength.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Maybe it gets us a Connelly or Wilson(with re-sign conditions or sign and trade). Or going above that, maybe Brodie gets us their 1st and Burakovsky.

They'll have to do something, because they currently can't pay Carlson what he's worth.

I would be fine with the latter.  I think the 1st offsets the value of Brodie for Burakovsky.  

Stone for one of the other two would be a great way to move on from Stone; I don't think he's a good fit for us going forward cap-wise.  Need to upgrade 3rd RW from Hathaway.  If we are going that route, then they absolutely have to move on from Brouwer.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If we are going that route, then they absolutely have to move on from Brouwer.

We should move on from Brouwer regardless.  It used to be okay because Versteeg was his amigo.  Now, both need to go.  

It's too bad.  great people.  Same with Stajan.  Great human beings.  But there comes a time for everyone and their time has come.

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder if we can't look at the Capitals situation as a dance partner for Michael Stone.

If we can't make a trade for Mark Stone, then i think the next logical move to make is to send Michael Stone to the Senators and let the brothers unite.  They may have interest, both the bros and the Senators.  We shouldn't hesitate even a second.  We have to play Rasmus Andersson.  And Fox could get a 9-game taste of the NHL next season as well.  With Hamilton and Hamonic locked in long term, we gotta move Stone to dangle the carrot.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we can't make a trade for Mark Stone, then i think the next logical move to make is to send Michael Stone to the Senators and let the brothers unite.  They may have interest, both the bros and the Senators.  We shouldn't hesitate even a second.  We have to play Rasmus Andersson.  And Fox could get a 9-game taste of the NHL next season as well.  With Hamilton and Hamonic locked in long term, we gotta move Stone to dangle the carrot.

Exactly.

If we acquire Mark he would be an RFA and most likely for us to sign him would want us to keep Michael around for at least one more season 

If not like you mentioned send Michael

to Ottawa. He’s got an NTC but would most definitely waive to play with his bro

18 hours ago, conundrumed said:

John Carlson is hitting UFA and he'll be getting paid by someone, hopefully Detroit. That'll be a 6.5-7 per pricetag. So unless they think Bowey is going to step right in, they're going to be needing some help slotting in the RD.

I'm just looking for teams with some problems arising at D, and Washington looks to be at the forefront.

I hate to say it but I think BT will be doing good if he trades Stone and Brouwer. He could trade Brodie but I'm not sure he should given the nature of the NHL with 3 on 3 OT. I just wouldn't match up Brodie and Hamonic again. Upfront we need to get the players matched up for maximum production using the experience we have more wisely. I would love to obtain Tom Wilson from WAS and have a Ferland, Jankowski, Wilson 3rd line.

I see Brouwer as a buyout in the making. Unless BT could do a Brouwer for Spezza with DAL in a swap of bad contracts. We would only have Spezza for the one season.

This team doesn't hate losing enough.

Tkachuk does. Smith does. Johnny does. The rest of them I'm not so sure. We need to find another guy or two who absolutely will not tolerate losing. 

I would also like to see a bottom 6 overhaul. We need to get younger and faster in our bottom 6. 

- A possible trade could be Andrew Shaw for Troy Brouwer. Both players have 20 points on the season. MTL has been rumoured to be looking to move Shaw for a while, and it's also Bergevin we are dealing with. Shaw is more of a pain in the rear to play against which would be nice to have in our bottom 6. Shaw is cheaper but has twice as much term as Brouwer.

I don't see how we can improve our top 6 without moving Brodie. We have no picks to trade and I'd rather not move prospects. Also we will not be winning any bidding wars for UFA's, JVR, Kane and Neal will all be overpaid and it's something we should not do

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Are you concerned at all that Mark Stone's injury history is getting pretty deep?

I don't think uniting brothers is really something that enters the picture re trades.

But when I do the Caps math on Capfriendly, they're going to have to do some magic tricks to find the money for Carlson. Even if he took 6 per,

they would be left with 7 and need 8 roster spots filled, and that doesn't even include re-upping Wilson, Grubauer and Bowey.

That looks like a team in trouble to me or they let Carlson go for nothing.

If Carlson walks, that's a huge hole to fill on the RD.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We should move on from Brouwer regardless.  It used to be okay because Versteeg was his amigo.  Now, both need to go.  

It's too bad.  great people.  Same with Stajan.  Great human beings.  But there comes a time for everyone and their time has come.

My comment was thinly veiled as to buying out Brouwer.  I think it's the only option at this point.  HE makes a good play one shift per game and is a 3rd big toe the rest of the game.  I'm on the fence about Versteeg.  Fond memories about a PP that used to work maybe.  I couldn;t get a read from his play last night.  Would be be usefull as a 4th liner next season?  Not at $1.75m.  Maybe at $1.1m.  Depth player.  Don;t know.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don;t think we have the horses to get Stone.  Hoffman is more likely and probably closer to affordable.  Bennett for Hoffman?  Or would it take Brodie?

Fox's season is likely done now.  Time to get him signed.

With the D prospects we have, I'm no longer concerned about trading Brodie.  And FFS trade Stone for marbles. 

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don;t think we have the horses to get Stone.  Hoffman is more likely and probably closer to affordable.  Bennett for Hoffman?  Or would it take Brodie?

Fox's season is likely done now.  Time to get him signed.

With the D prospects we have, I'm no longer concerned about trading Brodie.  And FFS trade Stone for marbles. 

Just what kind of marbles are we talkin' here?

I think that this year is over with. Actually, I thought it was over after the recent three game losing streak. Might it not be a good idea to bring up as many AHL players to see how they handle NHL play? That way, you might have a better sense of what you can eliminate from the roster. And yeah, I know that GG has to preach hope and optimism, never give up stuff, but it might be a missed opportunity if he stays pat as so often seems to be his logic.

40 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think that this year is over with. Actually, I thought it was over after the recent three game losing streak. Might it not be a good idea to bring up as many AHL players to see how they handle NHL play? That way, you might have a better sense of what you can eliminate from the roster. And yeah, I know that GG has to preach hope and optimism, never give up stuff, but it might be a missed opportunity if he stays pat as so often seems to be his logic.

Only have 4 callups left.  Not sure what the point would be, since Gully is going to play his guys first.  Shore can;t even stick and he's one of the better players.  Once Tkachuk is back, one of Lazar or Janko or Hathaway will come out.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

My comment was thinly veiled as to buying out Brouwer.  I think it's the only option at this point.  HE makes a good play one shift per game and is a 3rd big toe the rest of the game.  I'm on the fence about Versteeg.  Fond memories about a PP that used to work maybe.  I couldn;t get a read from his play last night.  Would be be usefull as a 4th liner next season?  Not at $1.75m.  Maybe at $1.1m.  Depth player.  Don;t know.

Buy out cost is $6 million for the 2 remaining years with a cap drag of 1.5 for 4 years. Retaining 1.1.5-2 makes him dang affordable to any team & causes less drag in the long term.

@ 1 retained we might get a 4th round pick. With 1.5 bump to a 3rd. With 2 retained look @ a 2nd.Even @ 2 retained total cost is $2 x 2 with something coming back.

Are you sure a butout is the only option?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Buy out cost is $6 million for the 2 remaining years with a cap drag of 1.5 for 4 years. Retaining 1.1.5-2 makes him dang affordable to any team & causes less drag in the long term.

@ 1 retained we might get a 4th round pick. With 1.5 bump to a 3rd. With 2 retained look @ a 2nd.Even @ 2 retained total cost is $2 x 2 with something coming back.

Hush now..  Don't go throwing logic and math into the thought process.... :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

If I thought that was possible, then sure.  I don't see it happening.  Whose interested n a 5 goal scorer at $2.5m?  

What is a butout?  Is that what you extinguish you cig on?

5 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Injuries have taken their toll on Brouwer.  Idon't see how two years at $3MM/year for an injury prone forward who scores six goals per season is a good move for any GM.  That contract is going to be difficult to offload without taking back a bad contract.  More power to Treliving if he can pull it off (assuming the Flames even want to move Brouwer - his time on ice would indicate the team is more than satisfied with his play).

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎16 at 2:57 PM, conundrumed said:

Dallas maybe as they lose Hamhuis at the end of the season. Would you roll the dice for 1 year of Spezza if they took Stone or Brouwer ? Brouwer has played for Hitchcock before with good results.

7.5 MAC, that's asking a lot seeing as the credits are rolling on the Spezza movie.

He may not be an upgrade on Brouwer at this point in his career.

A team like ARI(again) can take on that last year for Dallas' 1st, not unlike they did with god, errr, ummm, Datsyuk,lol.

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

7.5 MAC, that's asking a lot seeing as the credits are rolling on the Spezza movie.

He may not be an upgrade on Brouwer at this point in his career.

A team like ARI(again) can take on that last year for Dallas' 1st, not unlike they did with god, errr, ummm, Datsyuk,lol.

I'm not crazy about the idea either but bad contract for bad contract may be the only way to get Brouwer out of the way. Spezza can still snipe and who knows what he might do on a line with Gaudreau. I think the team should make LW real strong along with the Cs we have now. RW is a work in progress.