The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I put this in the other thread too, but my biggest "eye test" on TJ.. is he cracks under pressure.. the more pressure is when he makes bad decisions.

Personally I think playing with Gio masked his mistakes, thus why its hard finding him a partner now .

His speed has allowed him to make up and correct mistakes as well, its his gift and his talent,  but it says to me that is hockey IQ is what gets him in trouble .

Believe me I would never disagree that Brodie isn't the smartest. I do have to say he proved during the period Giordano went down that he could be the man. He will always be somewhat indecisive and reckless IMO but when you stop to think of his possibilities for PP and OT situations he is a good player to have around. I agree with cross16 only trade him for a significant upgrade on RW where we need the most help.

• Like 1

I'm sure this idea is going to go over like a led balloon, but Fan 960 guys brought up an interesting name today that has me intrigued. Corey Perry.

yes, I understand we all hate Corey Perry but I put him in the same category as Marchand and Tkachuk, you hate him until he is on your team. Obviously his conract is terrible but I wonder if there could be a Brouwer for Perry swap contemplated. I actually think Brouwer could hold some interest to the Ducks from a skill set perspective, and I'm wondering if Perry just needs a change. He is in the normal age decline but still can be a productive top 6 guy and I think a chance of scenery could get more out of him. he still performs whenever he is called on international and was real good for the Ducks in the playoffs last year. Upside for the Ducks is it frees up 4 million and Browuer has 1 year less on his deal so the money savings is significant. Flames can easily fit the money under the cap going forward. The biggest tricky for the Flames is his NMC and a pending expansion draft. If the draft happens within the next 3 years that's a big hurdle for the Flames. 

Not ideal but it's an idea if they like the rest of their team to try and fill a hole using minimal assets. Perry is also a guy who is anything but soft. 

• Like 1

E Kane has made Joe Thorton obsolete in San Jose. I wonder what kind of identity and leadership Joe Thorton could help develop in Calgary with a 1 year contract.

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm sure this idea is going to go over like a lead balloon, but Fan 960 guys brought up an interesting name today that has me intrigued. Corey Perry.

yes, I understand we all hate Corey Perry but I put him in the same category as Marchand and Tkachuk, you hate him until he is on your team. Obviously his conract is terrible but I wonder if there could be a Brouwer for Perry swap contemplated. I actually think Brouwer could hold some interest to the Ducks from a skill set perspective, and I'm wondering if Perry just needs a change. He is in the normal age decline but still can be a productive top 6 guy and I think a chance of scenery could get more out of him. he still performs whenever he is called on international and was real good for the Ducks in the playoffs last year. Upside for the Ducks is it frees up 4 million and Browuer has 1 year less on his deal so the money savings is significant. Flames can easily fit the money under the cap going forward. The biggest tricky for the Flames is his NMC and a pending expansion draft. If the draft happens within the next 3 years that's a big hurdle for the Flames. 

Not ideal but it's an idea if they like the rest of their team to try and fill a hole using minimal assets. Perry is also a guy who is anything but soft. 

I agree he is totally in that "love him if he's on your team " category, the thought of Tkachuk and Perry stirring things up is appealing-- but even if we shed Brouwer at the same time, that contract is ugly. 4 more seasons at 8.6M  , Anaheim would have to eat  at least 3 or 4 of it 

i actually shudder when I think how close he came to being an Oiler in his prime..he'd have been the 2nd coming of Esa Tikkanen

Just now, phoenix66 said:

I agree he is totally in that "love him if he's on your team " category, the thought of Tkachuk and Perry stirring things up is appealing-- but even if we shed Brouwer at the same time, that contract is ugly. 4 more seasons at 8.6M  , Anaheim would have to eat  at least 3 or 4 of it 

Doesn't change that it is a bad contract, but it's only 3 more years after this year. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Doesn't change that it is a bad contract, but it's only 3 more years after this year. 

that's my only hesitation ..otherwise i think he'd be a fan favourite on this team.

I've heard hes a good teammate too

not like a Kesler.. as good as he is , I dont think fans would ever accept him here ..and that says a lot , we accepted Todd Bertuzzi lol

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm sure this idea is going to go over like a lead balloon, but Fan 960 guys brought up an interesting name today that has me intrigued. Corey Perry.

Some here want to buy-out Brouwer, some want to trade him for Perry, that seems to be a pretty broad range in value.  As much as I hate watching Perry as an opposing player, I'd certainly consider a Perry trade if Brouwer was involved. 

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The biggest tricky for the Flames is his NMC and a pending expansion draft. If the draft happens within the next 3 years that's a big hurdle for the Flames. 

If the trade negates the NMC, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Love. 

4 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Some here want to buy-out Brouwer, some want to trade him for Perry, that seems to be a pretty broad range in value.  As much as I hate watching Perry as an opposing player, I'd certainly consider a Perry trade if Brouwer was involved. 

Not really, Perry himself has no value either with that contract, it's one of the poorer ones int he league. I think the Flames would have to add but it shouldn't be anything major. The value to the Ducks is in the cap space they generate and getting out of the deal, not in what they get back. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not really, Perry himself has no value either with that contract, it's one of the poorer ones int he league. I think the Flames would have to add but it shouldn't be anything major. The value to the Ducks is in the cap space they generate and getting out of the deal, not in what they get back. 

Perry has value, he is just over paid.

Brouwer for 2 more yrs at $4.5M

or

Perry for 2 more yrs for an extra $4.125M, plus a third yr at $8.625

I think you do it, if he fits under the cap, haven't looked at it.

36 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

E Kane has made Joe Thorton obsolete in San Jose. I wonder what kind of identity and leadership Joe Thorton could help develop in Calgary with a 1 year contract.

I think Joe will retire after this season. He is getting rather busted up.

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Come on guys, Perry doesn't get us anywhere.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Come on guys, Perry doesn't get us anywhere.

completely disagree. 

Perry's 5 on 5 production actually is not that bad nor is it down that much. The reason his numbers are down is the PP. He's down about 70 mins of PP time a year because the Ducks are so loaded with Right hand shots.  He'd be the number 1 RS winger on the team in Calgary and be in a position to produce more than he has on the Ducks. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

completely disagree. 

I thought you wanted to get faster and play an upbeat tempo game. Perry is on the decline and isn't the type of player we need let alone for 3 more years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I thought you wanted to get faster and play an upbeat tempo game. Perry is on the decline and isn't the type of player we need let alone for 3 more years.

that is the downside with Perry's game but the Flames also need RS who can put the puck in the net and guys that you can count out to give you their best. Perry checks all 3 and probably wouldn't cost a lot. 

Finding a RS RW who can play at a high pace is not easy to do, not are their many available that fit that description and if they do they will likely be expensive and probably tough for the Flames to swing a deal on with their lack of assets, or they'll wind up filling one hole and creating another and keep shuffling the chairs like they've done for the lack decade. Opportunity with Perry is you get multiple skill sets without likely giving up much off your roster and you keep other pieces. 

Is it plan A? No of course not. Should it be completely discounted only based on his skating, absolutely not. Perry would probably be a 25 goal, 50 point guy, maybe even 60 on the Flames and that's not going to be easy to find. 

50 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

One is a center, one is a LW...that's like saying bringing in Perry would make backlund obsolete. 

16 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think Joe will retire after this season. He is getting rather busted up.

He is still SJ's #1 center, he loves the area and loves the sport. He'll be back in SJ next year.

For the "he's done" crowd. Here is where Perry would rank if he were on the Flames last year at 5 on 5 among those who took a regular shift. 

Goals/60min - 6th

assists/60min - 3rd

1st assists/60min - 3rd

Point/60min - 4th

Again, it's not Plan A but it think that puts into perspective the depth issues here. Flames need to be open to all avenues and personally I would lean towards going this route than having to give up a good young player/prospect in a deal. 

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For the "he's done" crowd. Here is where Perry would rank if he were on the Flames last year at 5 on 5 among those who took a regular shift. 

Goals/60min - 6th

assists/60min - 3rd

1st assists/60min - 3rd

Point/60min - 4th

Again, it's not Plan A but it think that puts into perspective the depth issues here. Flames need to be open to all avenues and personally I would lean towards going this route than having to give up a good young player/prospect in a deal. 

So he will get those points here? Guarenteeed? Isn’t he playing on a good line there? Who would he play with here?

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

So he will get those points here? Guarenteeed? Isn’t he playing on a good line there? Who would he play with here?

Nothing is guaranteed but I would say it's far more likely he would then he wouldn't given he's been pretty consistent the last few years especially 5 on 5. He plays with Getzlaf a fair bit yes but he's also productive away from Getzlaf so it's not like Getzlaf carries him. I could see him playing anywhere on the top 3 lines to be honest. However, the big benefit I would se is on the PP. He really isn't utilized on the PP anymore in Anaheim as they've got so many RH shots but for Flames he'd be their number 1 RS option. I think it's very likely the Flames could get more out of him based on his PP usage. 

I don't want to beat this home because Perry is just 1 option and he has a NMC so very possible he says NO to the Ducks if they want to move him. however, I think the Flames need a RS top 6 forward and given there isn't one in FA its going to be a trade and I think one of the more attractive ways to look at this is to try and make a Perry style move. Pick up a guy for less value because he has a not great contract, that the Flames can afford, and try to get more out of him. Perry is just that much more attractive to me because of the harder to play against idea. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I'm sure this idea is going to go over like a led balloon, but Fan 960 guys brought up an interesting name today that has me intrigued. Corey Perry.

If the rumors about both the Ducks & Kings going into @ least a mini-rebuild are true I'd rather target Jeff Carter. Carter is a RHS C/RW @ over $3 million a year less (though he does have 1 more year on his contract). Ideally you use him on RW but still have the option to let him take draws when the situation calls for a RHC.

Both came out of the same draft & TC calls on them both.

I doubt either will take Brouwer as partial payment (especially LA unless we retain a lot) & the Flames don't have much they can really add in the way of picks/prospects. Kings will need D so I'd offer the rights to Fox (it'll be an easier blueline to crack so better odds he signs) but am stumped @ what else we can afford to give up.

47 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

If the rumors about both the Ducks & Kings going into @ least a mini-rebuild are true I'd rather target Jeff Carter. Carter is a RHS C/RW @ over $3 million a year less (though he does have 1 more year on his contract). Ideally you use him on RW but still have the option to let him take draws when the situation calls for a RHC.

Both came out of the same draft & TC calls on them both.

I doubt either will take Brouwer as partial payment (especially LA unless we retain a lot) & the Flames don't have much they can really add in the way of picks/prospects. Kings will need D so I'd offer the rights to Fox (it'll be an easier blueline to crack so better odds he signs) but am stumped @ what else we can afford to give up.

Not sure if the value compares, but if you were getting Carter, it might be something like Browuer ($1.5m retained) and Brodie.

Brodie could replace Phaneuf on the top pair or ply RD with Muzzin.

Don;t really know for sure, since they ahves some youngish guys there; Folin, Forbort, Fantenburg, as well as Clague.

Carter is getting older, but still seems to score like crazy.

21 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

One is a center, one is a LW...that's like saying bringing in Perry would make backlund obsolete. 

He is still SJ's #1 center, he loves the area and loves the sport. He'll be back in SJ next year.

No he won't.