The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎27 at 5:31 PM, cccsberg said:

We are currently stacked at D and I guess we'll see what transpires.  Everyone is talking like a D for RW trade is inevitable but we'll see what happens.  Unfortunately we may do nothing and come into camp with a glut and backlog of prospects needing spots and nothing too give them.  Although I love Valimaki would it have been better to take a RW?  Just asking.

I don't think it would of no. Valimaki with his progression should be the very player you need in the organization to start replacing Giordano or Brodie. I am not overly concerned regarding our RW but I would add a UFA and if there is no deal to provide a better option than Foo then give him the opportunity. I don't know that I would be pushing to trade anyone other than Stone and Brouwer but other stuff will come up for BT to consider I'm sure.

• Like 1

I think we should try and get hinostroza from Chicago before he breaks out like marchessault, kase, trocheck, and zucker have.

I had my eyes on all of those players before their breakout years. hinostroza gives me the same feeling.

Given the Canadiens having the #3 OA pick with Brady Tkackuk expected to be the 4th pick how many would offer up Monahan for that #4?

Given Montreal's need for a front line center it's probably doable. & given the expectations here that every center from Jankowski/Bennett to Shinkaruk & Dube is a sure fire 1st line star very soon we can spare Monahan. For the meantime we have Backlund

Sure Brady is yet another LW but surely of that # all slated for stardom @ least 1 should be capable of playing on his off-wing since trading any but the scraps (but worth their weight in gold to other teams) is a no-no.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Given the Canadiens having the #3 OA pick with Brady Tkackuk expected to be the 4th pick how many would offer up Monahan for that #4?

Given Montreal's need for a front line center it's probably doable. & given the expectations here that every center from Jankowski/Bennett to Shinkaruk & Dube is a sure fire 1st line star very soon we can spare Monahan. For the meantime we have Backlund

Sure Brady is yet another LW but surely of that # all slated for stardom @ least 1 should be capable of playing on his off-wing since trading any but the scraps (but worth their weight in gold to other teams) is a no-no.

:lol:

Trading Monahan would have to be given we are signing Tavares.  Maybe Bennett for the pick would be more reasonable, but the price seems high these days. So, if we traded for the pick, would you prefer Zadina over Tkachuk?  Brady and Matty would be fighting every practice.  :P

As far as the other guys, I don;t see Bennett ever becoming a great C.  Janko has some tools, but I think he's more Backlund than Monahan.  That is ceiling, not what he may become.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Trading Monahan would have to be given we are signing Tavares.  Maybe Bennett for the pick would be more reasonable, but the price seems high these days. So, if we traded for the pick, would you prefer Zadina over Tkachuk?  Brady and Matty would be fighting every practice.  :P

As far as the other guys, I don;t see Bennett ever becoming a great C.  Janko has some tools, but I think he's more Backlund than Monahan.  That is ceiling, not what he may become.  

Nothing personal but a lot of posters here on these boards continue to undervalue our prospects ceilings. I don't understand why.

Many said JH would never play a game in the NHL because he was too small. Could not take the beating of the NHL size players. Could not avoid the NHL checking on small ice.

Many said Mony would top off at a 3rd line center. Never amount to much and certainly would not score much.

Many said Backs was a 3rd line center at best. They also said he was to fragile to play the NHL if he made it.

People have been on Janko's back since we made the pick. He continues to grow and progress and silence most doubters.

Of all our prospects Jank and Bennett have 4 goal games. No one since Newy has done that.... Give them some time before you dismiss their top end and ability to contribute to the Flames in the Future. Even the professionals have trouble with what and who they will become..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Nothing personal but a lot of posters here on these boards continue to undervalue our prospects ceilings. I don't understand why.

Many said JH would never play a game in the NHL because he was too small. Could not take the beating of the NHL size players. Could not avoid the NHL checking on small ice.

Many said Mony would top off at a 3rd line center. Never amount to much and certainly would not score much.

Many said Backs was a 3rd line center at best. They also said he was to fragile to play the NHL if he made it.

People have been on Janko's back since we made the pick. He continues to grow and progress and silence most doubters.

Of all our prospects Jank and Bennett have 4 goal games. No one since Newy has done that.... Give them some time before you dismiss their top end and ability to contribute to the Flames in the Future. Even the professionals have trouble with what and who they will become..

Nothing I said undervalues anyone. 

The cost of a top 3 is a player like Bennett, maybe more.

Isn't it a complement to say Janko is more like Backlund?  

Janko is more like Backlund because he came out of a defensive team at PC, where he was relied upon for that.

I have always been supportive of Janko and followed him since being drafted, checking on his games.

I know you are making a general comment, but it seems more like you focus on two statements and draw conclusions.  

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

T.J. Brodie? Doubtful.

I am beginning to think BT will not make to many moves if any on the trade front. Trading Stone and Brouwer makes all kind of sense but they both have NTC and are overpaid. Peters spoke highly of Brouwer and getting him back on track. Stone with some imagination should be able to be moved. Others may become expendable should BT bring in someone like Derek Ryan. Then we have all kinds of RHS-RW for the 4th line so BT could move a few of them, especially if Brouwer is kept.

20 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I am beginning to think BT will not make to many moves if any on the trade front. Trading Stone and Brouwer makes all kind of sense but they both have NTC and are overpaid. Peters spoke highly of Brouwer and getting him back on track. Stone with some imagination should be able to be moved. Others may become expendable should BT bring in someone like Derek Ryan. Then we have all kinds of RHS-RW for the 4th line so BT could move a few of them, especially if Brouwer is kept.

I'll make a hard prediction that TJ wont be on the roster next season . Not for the sake of just getting rid him , but that he will be the big piece involved in a trade BT has to make .

Others are possible , not out of the question (eg Bennett) but TJ is the one I feel will be gone 100%

I also feel Brouwer will be on the roster .. he gets one more season before they even consider a buyout 

31 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think he makes 1 big trade for sure. I think he has to shake up that roster, if for no other reason than to let them know that last year was unacceptable. That being said the scoring needs to be addressed and it won't be coming from within and the UFA market has a lot over priced options, so the trade market might be our best bet to upgrade the roster.

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'll make a hard prediction that TJ wont be on the roster next season . Not for the sake of just getting rid him , but that he will be the big piece involved in a trade BT has to make .

Others are possible , not out of the question (eg Bennett) but TJ is the one I feel will be gone 100%

I also feel Brouwer will be on the roster .. he gets one more season before they even consider a buyout 

I don't know as it seems even we could use another season with what we have in order to bring along what we have coming. If BT cannot find a deal for Brouwer I agree he is here to at least the TDL next season.The other reason I say no Brodie deal is that if we want a scoring RW other teams just aren't giving up scoring either. This is why I say bite the bullet and go for a UFA RW for our top line. If successful BP can afford to work in a player such as Foo.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think he makes 1 big trade for sure. I think he has to shake up that roster, if for no other reason than to let them know that last year was unacceptable. That being said the scoring needs to be addressed and it won't be coming from within and the UFA market has a lot over priced options, so the trade market might be our best bet to upgrade the roster.

We don't know that the UFA market will be over priced. Look at what happened with baseball this offseason.

I disagree that we can't get more scoring from what we have now if we have the players positioned in the right places.

I think everyone now knows this past season was unacceptable when you have a total coaching change. All the rest is simply disappointed fan talk.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't know as it seems even we could use another season with what we have in order to bring along what we have coming. If BT cannot find a deal for Brouwer I agree he is here to at least the TDL next season.The other reason I say no Brodie deal is that if we want a scoring RW other teams just aren't giving up scoring either. This is why I say bite the bullet and go for a UFA RW for our top line. If successful BP can afford to work in a player such as Foo.

I'm removing all personal hope, should, could, would from the prediction .. i just feel he will make a splash.. he has to , he already said as much that the roster carries some blame.  To get it done he has to trade a roster player . A "Culture change" , always carries a roster player removal..and typically a notable one 

That player will be TJ IMO

22 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm removing all personal hope, should, could, would from the prediction .. i just feel he will make a splash.. he has to , he already said as much that the roster carries some blame.  To get it done he has to trade a roster player . A "Culture change" , always carries a roster player removal..and typically a notable one 

You're all making me nervous. I don't want the big splash personally. One player or throwing next year's draft away isn't helping and hasn't turned us into a playoff team so far.

I'd prefer the just be patient approach, if we can find a F prospect for a D prospect deal, start finding ways to shore up some young and fast F depth.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Did BT say a culture change ? not sure I heard that one. I did hear " a lack of emotional investment" by some players. BT and BP need to take some time together and have some serious discussions surrounding the roster no doubt. Having said this we may see BP wanting to start out the next season with only a few adjustments so he can assess his own thinking from on ice evaluations. As an example I think he will value NHL experience so we shouldn't be surprised if Brouwer remains here. We might even see Versteeg return. I'm not saying you are wrong just that there is this scenario that could also prevail.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You're all making me nervous. I don't want the big splash personally. One player or throwing next year's draft away isn't helping and hasn't turned us into a playoff team so far.

I'd prefer the just be patient approach, if we can find a F prospect for a D prospect deal, start finding ways to shore up some young and fast F depth.

I think the biggest question that needs to be asked is between BP and Brodie, "can you function on the LS at a higher performance level or not" ? The die has been cast for the RHS-RD now with Andersson ready. If Brodie can't see himself being better from the LS the decision should be to trade him. I just don't know that we will get that coveted RW we all seem to be looking for or does BT simply try and get a 1st round pick for him.

19 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

not so much a splash for the sake of it, but that there will be one to get what needs to be done 

I see these scenarios :

1) We will be in hard on Tavares (successful or not )

2) If there is any smoke to O'reilly being available, we will be in hard on that 

3) A trade will be made to bring in a proven RS winger 

4) we will be after a bigger name in FA.. whether that be Perron, Neal, Kane, etc.. awaits to be seen .. but we will be in on it 

Any trades will focus on areas of strength.. in our case that's Goalie depth and Defense.. and he will only go to the prospects as a last resort 

Up this point , he has functioned outside of touching the roster .. he knows this time around thats not possible , and based on how the season went and ended , its now needed 

15 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Did BT say a culture change ? not sure I heard that one. I did hear " a lack of emotional investment" by some players. BT and BP need to take some time together and have some serious discussions surrounding the roster no doubt. Having said this we may see BP wanting to start out the next season with only a few adjustments so he can assess his own thinking from on ice evaluations. As an example I think he will value NHL experience so we shouldn't be surprised if Brouwer remains here. We might even see Versteeg return. I'm not saying you are wrong just that there is this scenario that could also prevail.

not in those exact words , but he did say 

a) this team lacked emotional investment 

b)The players share the blame with the coach 

c) there will be changes 

d) They will identify those players that contributed to the breakdown 

The reason i keep focussing on Brodie, is he checks all the boxes

1) regardless of how we may see him some days, hes a talented Dman that other teams need in their system .. he has value 

2) he's already replaceable in house.. that's a testament to our farm system 

3) FA and cheap reclamation projects have not gotten the job done .. the time has come to trade a good player to get a good player 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

not so much a splash for the sake of it, but that there will be one to get what needs to be done 

I see these scenarios :

1) We will be in hard on Tavares (successful or not )

2) If there is any smoke to O'reilly being available, we will be in hard on that 

3) A trade will be made to bring in a proven RS winger 

4) we will be after a bigger name in FA.. whether that be Perron, Neal, Kane, etc.. awaits to be seen .. but we will be in on it 

Any trades will focus on areas of strength.. in our case that's Goalie depth and Defense.. and he will only go to the prospects as a last resort 

Up this point , he has functioned outside of touching the roster .. he knows this time around thats not possible , and based on how the season went and ended , its now needed 

not in those exact words , but he did say 

a) this team lacked emotional investment 

b)The players share the blame with the coach 

c) there will be changes 

d) They will identify those players that contributed to the breakdown 

The reason i keep focussing on Brodie, is he checks all the boxes

1) regardless of how we may see him some days, hes a talented Dman that other teams need in their system .. he has value 

2) he's already replaceable in house.. that's a testament to our farm system 

3) FA and cheap reclamation projects have not gotten the job done .. the time has come to trade a good player to get a good player 

I wouldn't say Brodie has quite been replaced yet if you are referring to Kulak taking his place. We could get by with Kulak but some thought might warrant bringing in someone like Hanhuis as a 1 year FA. If there is a team out there willing to part with a scoring RWer for Brodie go for it however I wouldn't be afraid to keep him around either. I also agree with not taking the "cheap" route on a fix for our top line RW. Gaudreau and Monahan no longer need a tutor, they need a complimentary player.

I fully expect at least one, maybe more, hockey deals this summer. I don't think you'll see another Hamonic style deal where this club gives up a bunch of draft picks but I do think they will make a couple of hockey style player for player type deals to increase their depth up front and I do think they want to address their lack of RH shots. Unfortunately you cannot due that in FA this year as the crop for RS forwards is very bare.  I also think they will try their darnedest to get back in the first round.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I wouldn't say Brodie has quite been replaced yet if you are referring to Kulak taking his place. We could get by with Kulak but some thought might warrant bringing in someone like Hanhuis as a 1 year FA. If there is a team out there willing to part with a scoring RWer for Brodie go for it however I wouldn't be afraid to keep him around either. I also agree with not taking the "cheap" route on a fix for our top line RW. Gaudreau and Monahan no longer need a tutor, they need a complimentary player.

we're basically on the same page .. to be clear i'm not advocating "get rid of TJ" for the sake of it..I'm just predicting he's the player thats gone .

We need to graduate Andersson , Stone holds more value than we give him credit for  in his versatility too.

Also , Stone wont get you that player we need .. a pick Maybe. Somebody will pay for TJ.. and I think the highest odds is Montreal.. they not only didn't get the shot at Dahlin,  they'll likely draft a player that makes a RW expendable (I keep feeling Galchenyuk) 

I had hopes of Buffalo, but getting Dahlin scratches that.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

we're basically on the same page .. to be clear i'm not advocating "get rid of TJ" for the sake of it..I'm just predicting he's the player thats gone .

We need to graduate Andersson , Stone holds more value than we give him credit for  in his versatility too.

Also , Stone wont get you that player we need .. a pick Maybe. Somebody will pay for TJ.. and I think the highest odds is Montreal.. they not only didn't get the shot at Dahlin,  they'll likely draft a player that makes a RW expendable (I keep feeling Galchenyuk) 

I had hopes of Buffalo, but getting Dahlin scratches that.

I think we could stand to deal both Brodie and Stone this offseason. I will go in a different direction on Brodie with some wishful thinking on a trade with OTT for the #4 pick should they be keeping Karlsson. This would give us a shot at Brady Tkachuk. If this were successful maybe see if there is a deal out there for Stone and Bennett maybe with MON or NYI.

This happens all the time but IMO Brady Tkachuk is being overrated because of his last name. He is a good prospect don't get me wrong, but IMO Matthew was a fair bit better at the same age. Matthew has elite hockey sense that I have not seen out of Brady. Brady has the same intangibles so I get what he is being ranked high, but IMO he is not a top 5 pick. Giving up proven good NHLers to draft another LW like Brady Tkachuk makes zero sense for this franchise to do and good chance it moves them backwards, not forwards. 

I could get behind the idea of moving someone like Brodie for a top 5 pick (highly doubt this would work but that's a separate discussion) but not to target Tkachuk. If you are going to do that I think they need to target organization needs would be RS players. maybe a center. 

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This happens all the time but IMO Brady Tkachuk is being overrated because of his last name. He is a good prospect don't get me wrong, but IMO Matthew was a fair bit better at the same age. Matthew has elite hockey sense that I have not seen out of Brady. Brady has the same intangibles so I get what he is being ranked high, but IMO he is not a top 5 pick. Giving up proven good NHLers to draft another LW like Brady Tkachuk makes zero sense for this franchise to do and good chance it moves them backwards, not forwards. 

I could get behind the idea of moving someone like Brodie for a top 5 pick but not to target Tkachuk. If you are going to do that I think they need to target organization needs would be RS players. maybe a center. 

I can buy that thinking

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I could get behind the idea of moving someone like Brodie for a top 5 pick but not to target Tkachuk. If you are going to do that I think they need to target organization needs would be RS players. maybe a center. 

Does Brodie alone get you a top 5 pick? I am not even sure if Brodie and Bennett get you a top 5 pick. If that could be done I would be all over it if we could get one of Svechnikov or Zadina, we could plug either player in our top 6 RW spot next year.

• Like 1