The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

38 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think we could stand to deal both Brodie and Stone this offseason. I will go in a different direction on Brodie with some wishful thinking on a trade with OTT for the #4 pick should they be keeping Karlsson. This would give us a shot at Brady Tkachuk. If this were successful maybe see if there is a deal out there for Stone and Bennett maybe with MON or NYI.

This kind of scenario , keeps bringing me back to Montreal too

MTL is basically desperate for a TJ style Dman.. they also need centers 

Bergevin already said hes open to trading the pick (i know .. they always say that )

I would be open to (and I think MTL would be too)

To MTL:

Tj Brodie

Sam Bennett

2019 1st

To Calgary

Alex Galchenyuk

3rd OA

wishful thinking yes, but not unreasonable for either side 

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Does Brodie alone get you a top 5 pick? I am not even sure if Brodie and Bennett get you a top 5 pick. If that could be done I would be all over it if we could get one of Svechnikov or Zadina, we could plug either player in our top 6 RW spot next year.

I highly doubt it. I don't think the Flames, nor any fan, would want to deal what would be required to give up in order to gain a top 5 pick.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I highly doubt it. I don't think the Flames, nor any fan, would want to deal what would be required to give up in order to gain a top 5 pick.

Pretty much, start with one of Gaudreau, Monahan, Hamilton or Tkachuk and go from there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I'll make a hard prediction that TJ wont be on the roster next season . Not for the sake of just getting rid him , but that he will be the big piece involved in a trade BT has to make .

Others are possible , not out of the question (eg Bennett) but TJ is the one I feel will be gone 100%

I also feel Brouwer will be on the roster .. he gets one more season before they even consider a buyout 

I completely agree. There's no way possible to improve this roster if we don't move him as he carries the most value of anyone that BT can afford to move.

Free agency is a bad plan

JVR (29) likely gets 6-7x7

Neal (31) likely gets 6-6.5x5-6

Kane (27) gets 6-7x7

Lots of overpaying to be had on July 1

I can see BT holding on to Brodie just to see what Billy P is able to get out of him. Same can be said of Brouwer which is unfortunate but our lack of depth at RW doesn't give us many options right now. This team still needs an improved balance of grit, speed, skill and goaltending if it's looking to become a serious contender. It might be more prudent of BT to see if Bill Peters can increase the value of players like Stone, Brodie and move them at the TDL for a greater return.  

9 minutes ago, rickross said:

I can see BT holding on to Brodie just to see what Billy P is able to get out of him. Same can be said of Brouwer which is unfortunate but our lack of depth at RW doesn't give us many options right now. This team still needs an improved balance of grit, speed, skill and goaltending if it's looking to become a serious contender. It might be more prudent of BT to see if Bill Peters can increase the value of players like Stone, Brodie and move them at the TDL for a greater return.  

and in the meantime,how do you propose we get that top winger we need?

gotta give up somebody of value if you want somebody of value back 

Brodie is the only one I see who carries value, that we can afford to lose  

24 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

and in the meantime,how do you propose we get that top winger we need?

gotta give up somebody of value if you want somebody of value back 

Brodie is the only one I see who carries value, that we can afford to lose  

I'm not so sure simply acquiring a top winger solves the Flames problems, plus losing Brodie only opens another hole to fill. I get that a lot of ppl want Brodie out the door, I'm just saying BT and BP might want to see how Brodie plays under a new skipper first before deciding to ship him off. As much as he was a defensive liability at times this season he's still an elite skating D man in this league. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I completely agree. There's no way possible to improve this roster if we don't move him as he carries the most value of anyone that BT can afford to move.

Kane (27) gets 6-7x7

Is it overpaying ? what does a 30 goal man cost these days ? 6M is right in the ball park. I like Neal because he provides some leadership and a tough style of play that I think this team needs. The guy is a winner and plays RW.

• Like 1

Just now, MAC331 said:

Is it overpaying ? what does a 30 goal man cost these days ? 6M is right in the ball park. I like Neal because he provides some leadership and a tough style of play that I think this team needs. The guy is a winner and plays RW.

Neal is a good player but in 5 years he’s not gonna be worth the 6 mill contract. He’s not the fastest guy and as we’ve seen the decline can happen faster than you think for some guys after hitting 30

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Neal is a good player but in 5 years he’s not gonna be worth the 6 mill contract. He’s not the fastest guy and as we’ve seen the decline can happen faster than you think for some guys after hitting 30

If we got 3 solid years from him I would happy as a fan because it should lead us further as contenders. I'm not looking for a dynasty.

Well, thing is Neal has 30 goals once in the last 6 seasons. Been on pace for it multiple times, but due to injuries he hasn't gotten there which are also a concern with Neal. You definitely have to avoid anything longer than a 3 year term with Neal. Hard pressed to see him wanting to come to Calgary and sign for only 3 years. 

Personally I'd pass all together. Another LS Winger who will be overpaid. Not what this team needs. 

40 minutes ago, rickross said:

I'm not so sure simply acquiring a top winger solves the Flames problems, plus losing Brodie only opens another hole to fill. I get that a lot of ppl want Brodie out the door, I'm just saying BT and BP might want to see how Brodie plays under a new skipper first before deciding to ship him off. As much as he was a defensive liability at times this season he's still an elite skating D man in this league. 

I think that the reason that Brodie is the most likely to be traded (from my armchair GM vantage point) is not because he had a bad season, but precisely because the assets exist internally to replace him. We'd be dealing from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. As he has some value, he's the guy to move. In my opinion, you'd get more for Brodie than any of our other defensemen except for Hamilton - and he's the guy that would create a big hole if we were to trade him.

Love. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well, thing is Neal has 30 goals once in the last 6 seasons. Been on pace for it multiple times, but due to injuries he hasn't gotten there which are also a concern with Neal. You definitely have to avoid anything longer than a 3 year term with Neal. Hard pressed to see him wanting to come to Calgary and sign for only 3 years. 

Personally I'd pass all together. Another LS Winger who will be overpaid. Not what this team needs. 

You are good at dispelling players, just who would you suggest ????

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You are good at dispelling players, just who would you suggest ????

Yup because I don't see the Flames in a position to continue to spend money and assets in the wrong places. Can't make everyone fit and they can't be wasting money in a cap system.

They need Right shot wingers so target RS wingers. Who specifically is impossible to name because I don't know who is or isn't available in trade but I just don't want to see more cap space and/or assets tied up in players who don't fit what they need. 

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yup because I don't see the Flames in a position to continue to spend money and assets in the wrong places. Can't make everyone fit and they can't be wasting money in a cap system.

They need Right shot wingers so target RS wingers. Who specifically is impossible to name because I don't know who is or isn't available in trade but I just don't want to see more cap space and/or assets tied up in players who don't fit what they need. 

Why is a RHS so important as we seek a top line RW ? Many RW production players shoot LH and a number of RHS score a lot of their goals on the LS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Why is a RHS so important as we seek a top line RW ? Many RW production players shoot LH and a number of RHS score a lot of their goals on the LS.

Also in general more players shoot left than right.

In a perfect world you want  an even split of L/R shots but the reality is most players shoot left 

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Its not a position thing it's a skillset issue and specifically for the Flames they really lack it. It's not about RW must mean RS it's just your team needs to have some LS-RS balance. Right now the flames have none in their forward group. 

My belief is that a big reason the flames struggle to score goals is the lack balance. The way a lot of goals are scored now it's based on speed. Fast passes and quick shots because goalies are so quick. That means lots of passes across the ice, down the seam and one timers. Those types of plays are all more difficult to executed when it's LS to LS unless the pass is perfect. 

Adding RS gives you flexibility both at 5 on 5 and on the PP to move the puck faster and more efficiently to create better scoring chances. If the Flames already had some good RS I wouldnt care if they added LS or a RS RW but the big issue here is the flames have no good RS options at forward. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Its not a position thing it's a skillset issue and specifically for the Flames they really lack it. It's not about RW must mean RS it's just your team needs to have some LS-RS balance. Right now the flames have none in their forward group. 

My belief is that a big reason the flames struggle to score goals is the lack balance. The way a lot of goals are scored now it's based on speed. Fast passes and quick shots because goalies are so quick. That means lots of passes across the ice, down the seam and one timers. Those types of plays are all more difficult to executed when it's LS to LS unless the pass is perfect. 

Adding RS gives you flexibility both at 5 on 5 and on the PP to move the puck faster and more efficiently to create better scoring chances. If the Flames already had some good RS I wouldnt care if they added LS or a RS RW but the big issue here is the flames have no good RS options at forward. 

I agree that you want some balance in terms of LS/RS. I don't like poor decisions made on this basis of course. It seems as though Treliving/GG were really rigid about this to the extent that play suffered. I do think that Brodie is better on his off-wing. 

I'm going to predict that Treliving manages to trade Stone at the entry draft for a second round pick.

Andersson moves into his spot on the 3rd pairing.

I am not quite sure why Treliving acquired so many defencemen. More importantly, I am not sure why it appeared to have minimal effect. At least when Dave King dressed a metric Satoshi tonne of D, he made them count.

13 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm going to predict that Treliving manages to trade Stone at the entry draft for a second round pick.

Andersson moves into his spot on the 3rd pairing.

I'd add in our 2nd 4th tbh, that's a contract that needs to go away.

20 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am not quite sure why Treliving acquired so many defencemen. More importantly, I am not sure why it appeared to have minimal effect. At least when Dave King dressed a metric Satoshi tonne of D, he made them count.

We've never had a position of strength to deal from, now we do.

Just the question now is how do we utilize it?

It's not too late to trade it for forward depth, lol. At least balance it out.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

We've never had a position of strength to deal from, now we do.

Just the question now is how do we utilize it?

It's not too late to trade it for forward depth, lol. At least balance it out.

Jersey made out like a bandit because they were able to trade Larsson for a player like Hall.  

Nashville traded Jones for RJ because they had depth in spades.

I think we have to consider now the right time to utilize younger D-men.

Gio is still playing like a mad man, but you need someone ready to step up in less than 3 years.

Hamonic is still young enough and brings something we don't have a lot of.

Hamilton is still too young to consider him a finished product.

Kulak is fine.  Not too flashy, but steady.

After that you have Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, and Fox.  One or two of those guys could become a franchise player.

That leaves Brodie and Stone.  I would suggest using Brodie to solve some of our RW depth issues.  Stone just needs to go.

Nothing against Stone, but he's not what I expected.  Not really good at any part of the game.  Overpaid.  Kulak is already as good or better.

17 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Does Brodie alone get you a top 5 pick? I am not even sure if Brodie and Bennett get you a top 5 pick. If that could be done I would be all over it if we could get one of Svechnikov or Zadina, we could plug either player in our top 6 RW spot next year.

Speaking of Russians, any interest in picking up Nichuskin from Dallas?  He's big, strong, has been good and I believe his KHL time is at a point where he could come back to the NHL.  

17 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Kane (27) gets 6-7x7

I'd take either Neal or Kane.  Not thanks on JVR.