The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Brodie is more valuable than a "meh" forward.

Swing a Hall trade, and it's a no-brainer to make the trade.

I don't think we'll see that, but I do think that we could get a decent forward for Brodie. I know that a lot of people like Montreal as a trading partner for TJ, and I think you could probably work out a deal for Galchenyuk, but I would anticipate they'll be looking for a RHS. 

Love. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I don't think we'll see that, but I do think that we could get a decent forward for Brodie. I know that a lot of people like Montreal as a trading partner for TJ, and I think you could probably work out a deal for Galchenyuk, but I would anticipate they'll be looking for a RHS. 

Love. 

Decent forwards are a dime a dozen.  Having a dman that can turn on a dime with the puck and skate like the wind the other way isn't.  If our new coaching staff can teach Brodie where the opposition net is and how to get the puck there more often we could be in for some serious entertainment.  Our 3 vs 3 OT record has been the evy of the league for a few years now and Brodie is a big part of that as well, sure its only regular season but those pts count too.  Brodie was somewhat underwhelming last season, hence the new coaches and strategy.  Brodie has more to give, that's why I'm keeping him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MAC331 said:

BP must be planning to move Gaudreau to our 4th line. LOL

Gaudreau's on the AMERICAN team.

8 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Gaudreau's on the AMERICAN team.

All in jest I know. I look more for our scouts to have their eyes peeled for a possible Euro player that could be had as a FA pick up for the Flames.

I wonder if we are in on the Kovalchuk sweepstakes. He checks a couple of boxes, RHS sniper and proven scorer. The only problem is that he is 35 and will probably want a 2-3 year term and he is probably about as fast as Troy Brouwer. For the amount of money and term he will get it's a bit risky, but he could be an answer to the top 6.

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

By all accounts Kovalchuk to the Rangers sounds like a done deal....

I have heard the same thing, just wondering if Tre was making the call to see if he wanted to come here. Signings Kovalchuk seems like a strange move for a team that told their fans that they are going into a rebuild.

Here are the RHS wingers that I think could be had this summer:

William Nylander: He might be the most elite of the wingers that would be available and thus the acquisition cost will be very high, he also needs a new contract that would most likely come in around Monahan and Gaudreau's numbers. I think we are talking Dougie Hamilton going the other way, in a dream scenario it would be Travis Hamonic but I am not sure that tips the scales enough to get a young star like Nylander,

Josh Leivo: Seldom used winger under Babcock, was rumoured to have asked for a trade at one point, which I am guessing wouldn't have sat well with Lou. He showed potential and is strong skater, I think he would benefit greatly from a change of scenery. Probably wouldn't cost very much, might even be a throw in on a bigger trade like Hamilton for Nylander and Leivo.

Tyler Johnson: Small, skilled and quick. Can play the wing or center. Tampa might look to off load some salary to help themselves out in other areas. I wonder if a Brodie for Johnson trade makes sense for both teams. His NTC kicks in on July 1st, he carries a cap hit of $5mill for the next 6 years, he is only 27 so the term shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

Kyle Okposo: I think Buffalo would probably like to get out from under this contract that sees Okposo carry a cap hit of $6mill for the next 5 years. At 30 years old and a history of injury acquiring Okposo would be pretty risky. If he managed to get back to career norms it would be a worthwhile risk. He has shown that he can play with talent and produce. He does carry a NMC. I would guess that Buffalo would have to eat salary and/or take a bad contract back in the trade, Brouwer anyone?

Sam Reinhart: He has been in the rumour mill for awhile now, and it sounds like Botterill is wanting to make some pretty big changes this offseason. Reinhart did manage to put up 25 goals and 50 points this season. There are questions with skating. I am not sure what it would cost to get him, Brodie for Reinhart might work, but I don't know if that is a good trade or a fit for us.

David Perron: He is coming off a career with 66 points at 29 years old. He is a UFA so we wouldn't have to give up assets. He has been pretty inconsistent through his career, which gives me pause on handing him a big contract.

I am sure there are other names out there, but these are the main candidates IMO. Guys like Gallagher and Kapanen, would be great adds I am just not sure their teams are going to move them.

The ones I would add is i'm looking at Pittsburgh situation with Bryan Rust and or Daniel Sprong. Rust is a pending RFA and a team with pretty limited cap resources and a player I really think could break out with a larger role. Sprong is a tougher move for the Pens as he's been great in the A and would be cheap but with Kessel and Hordnqvist already on the right side maybe the shop him for an upgrade on D.

Rust seems like the likelier of the two that could be availalbe. I'm not sure the Pens are going to be in a position to pay him and he is arb eligible. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The ones I would add is i'm looking at Pittsburgh situation with Bryan Rust and or Daniel Sprong. Rust is a pending RFA and a team with pretty limited cap resources and a player I really think could break out with a larger role. Sprong is a tougher move for the Pens as he's been great in the A and would be cheap but with Kessel and Hordnqvist already on the right side maybe the shop him for an upgrade on D.

Rust seems like the likelier of the two that could be availalbe. I'm not sure the Pens are going to be in a position to pay him and he is arb eligible. 

I wouldn't mind Rust I am just not sure how much more offense is really there. He put up 38 points in 69 games this year playing 16mins a night, and playing with some pretty good linemates at time sin Pittsburgh. 

33 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn't mind Rust I am just not sure how much more offense is really there. He put up 38 points in 69 games this year playing 16mins a night, and playing with some pretty good linemates at time sin Pittsburgh. 

I'd be more about Sprong myself, but if I could get Katchouk at relatively the same price, I'd be willing to do that instead. Probably not, so Sprong's a good option.

I'm neither here nor there on Rust, not feeling like more than a 3rd liner, no vacancy. We're pretty tight on what we can move, so I wouldn't for Rust, personally.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Does Kylington for Spring make sense for both sides? I feel like Kylington is the better prospect, but I think it is pretty close in value.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

This is fair. I"m not suggesting he'd be a top line player or anything but I do think he could break out to the tune of 20-25 goals and 50 ish point with more ice time, particularly a PP role. He does play with good players, but what I like is his production is pretty evenly spread. It's not like he only produces when paired with Crosby and/or Malkin. But my rationale is also based on the fact he wouldn't be overly expensive to acquire, if i'm wrong on that then i'm not interested either. Really good analytics as well so a few things that point to me he could be ready for a bigger opportunity.  I would prefer Sprong as well. 

I think at the end of the day i'm more in the mode of trying to find some current RW who are either good prospects who need a chance (ie Sprong) or guys like Rust who just need more of a chance. I do think the Flames need a talent upgrade at F and need ideally 2 RH shots but FA is terrible for that and trading for someone established is going to cost a lot of assets, assets I don't think the Flames should part with in 2 for 1 type deals. I feel like the Flames are on the cusp of finally having some good depth at almost all positions in terms of prospects so I don't like the idea of starting to give that away and continue to shuffle the deck chairs. Guys like Rust, Hyman or Brown don't look great on paper but I think they are talent upgrades that give them more depth without breaking the bank. I like that as a focus instead of the more established route. 

47 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Does Kylington for Spring make sense for both sides? I feel like Kylington is the better prospect, but I think it is pretty close in value.

Tough for me because i'm biased, I've never been a huge Kylington fan and don't see the upside that others do. My gut tells me that's not a deal Pittsburgh would do, but if they are a team that likes Kylington like others do then I do think the value is probably closer than it would appear to me. Certainly matches up as a strength for strength type deal. 

I keep circling back to Zuccarello. 30 with 1 year left @ 4.5 before UFA so have no idea what the Rags would want in return. Since they are swimming in picks this year & we have none it'd likely be a prospect. I'd offer Fox (just because I have a gut feeling he won't sign in Calgary with all the D ahead of him) with the condition that if he signs with the NYR (he would ) we get 1 of their 2019 2nd rounders.

I know he's small (shorter than Gaudreau but heavier) but an excellent play maker. Using him with Gaudreau on the 1st line would mean using someone that plays bigger than Monahan to center them. Backlund could be the defensive concience but then we'd have to make sure we have Hamonic on the back end every time they step on the ice. It'd probably require another trade for a 1/2 center with an edge to his game.

One of the things I really like about Zuccarello is his work ethic. It would translate well to our younger players but then again with NYR on the rebuild that would be the main reason for them to keep him.

I like the fit of Zucarello as a player but i'm not sure the target makes sense. 30 years old, pending UFA who is a Left shot, probably only stays the year too. Potentially a lot to give up to not even fill a more important need.

Certainly not worth giving up a prime asset for. if the cost is cheap, ie a non factor prospects and like a 3rd round pick i'd do it but not for anymore. Suspect they won't do that though. 

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Here are the RHS wingers that I think could be had this summer:

William Nylander: He might be the most elite of the wingers that would be available and thus the acquisition cost will be very high, he also needs a new contract that would most likely come in around Monahan and Gaudreau's numbers. I think we are talking Dougie Hamilton going the other way, in a dream scenario it would be Travis Hamonic but I am not sure that tips the scales enough to get a young star like Nylander,

Josh Leivo: Seldom used winger under Babcock, was rumoured to have asked for a trade at one point, which I am guessing wouldn't have sat well with Lou. He showed potential and is strong skater, I think he would benefit greatly from a change of scenery. Probably wouldn't cost very much, might even be a throw in on a bigger trade like Hamilton for Nylander and Leivo.

Tyler Johnson: Small, skilled and quick. Can play the wing or center. Tampa might look to off load some salary to help themselves out in other areas. I wonder if a Brodie for Johnson trade makes sense for both teams. His NTC kicks in on July 1st, he carries a cap hit of $5mill for the next 6 years, he is only 27 so the term shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

Kyle Okposo: I think Buffalo would probably like to get out from under this contract that sees Okposo carry a cap hit of $6mill for the next 5 years. At 30 years old and a history of injury acquiring Okposo would be pretty risky. If he managed to get back to career norms it would be a worthwhile risk. He has shown that he can play with talent and produce. He does carry a NMC. I would guess that Buffalo would have to eat salary and/or take a bad contract back in the trade, Brouwer anyone?

Sam Reinhart: He has been in the rumour mill for awhile now, and it sounds like Botterill is wanting to make some pretty big changes this offseason. Reinhart did manage to put up 25 goals and 50 points this season. There are questions with skating. I am not sure what it would cost to get him, Brodie for Reinhart might work, but I don't know if that is a good trade or a fit for us.

David Perron: He is coming off a career with 66 points at 29 years old. He is a UFA so we wouldn't have to give up assets. He has been pretty inconsistent through his career, which gives me pause on handing him a big contract.

I am sure there are other names out there, but these are the main candidates IMO. Guys like Gallagher and Kapanen, would be great adds I am just not sure their teams are going to move them.

I like this list, nicely done.

I’d also add Simmonds as theirs been some speculation PHI may look to move him this summer as he will be a pending UFA.

I also wonder about Eberle. If they keep Tavares there’s 10-12 mill of cap chewed up, they also just signed Bailey and are 2 years out from paying Barzal big. Lee and Eberle are UFA at the same time and I think if Tavares stays they would prefer to keep Lee as he was terrific chemistry with JT

20 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Decent forwards are a dime a dozen.  Having a dman that can turn on a dime with the puck and skate like the wind the other way isn't.  If our new coaching staff can teach Brodie where the opposition net is and how to get the puck there more often we could be in for some serious entertainment.  Our 3 vs 3 OT record has been the evy of the league for a few years now and Brodie is a big part of that as well, sure its only regular season but those pts count too.  Brodie was somewhat underwhelming last season, hence the new coaches and strategy.  Brodie has more to give, that's why I'm keeping him.

Are you trying to stay the same or get better?

If you have a chance for a top 6 player in return, you consider the net effect.

Brodie is a great skater, but can;t defend once he gets beat outside.

With a new coach, there is a chance that he will improve to the level he was with Gio.

Also a good chance that he is what we saw this past season.

As others have said, don;t trade him for the sake of making a trade.  Make the trade that gives you an edge.

The 3v3 was good then went into a funk.  Brodie was a big part of that funk.  A great skater that won;t shoot doesn't help.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

With a new coach, there is a chance that he will improve to the level he was with Gio.

As others have said, don;t trade him for the sake of making a trade.  Make the trade that gives you an edge.

The 3v3 was good then went into a funk.  Brodie was a big part of that funk.  A great skater that won;t shoot doesn't help.

Can't speak for Cheers, but I think there's value in just calling it a bad year. Look at a team like Ottawa. Bad year, go psychotic about it.

I'm a big believer in taking a step back. You aren't going to make it better all at once anyways.

Take a deep breath and don't start trading from resentment.

It's a long haul.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Can't speak for Cheers, but I think there's value in just calling it a bad year. Look at a team like Ottawa. Bad year, go psychotic about it.

I'm a big believer in taking a step back. You aren't going to make it better all at once anyways.

Take a deep breath and don't start trading from resentment.

It's a long haul.

Hey, I was all for moving Brodie back with Gio or at least back to RD.

This suggestion of trading Brodie is to improve the team long term, not just trade Brodie.

You get a player like (just an example) Coyle or Niederreiter, do you say naw?

We have depth at D.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hey, I was all for moving Brodie back with Gio or at least back to RD.

This suggestion of trading Brodie is to improve the team long term, not just trade Brodie.

You get a player like (just an example) Coyle or Niederreiter, do you say naw?

We have depth at D.  

That's fair, I wasn't being harsh, just a different view.

Not on the attack, but the constant lose Bennett, Brodie, Brouwer gets a little tired.

We'll be okay not doing that, imho.

Just hold the fort, there's payoff in that.

You don't develop character without getting your butt handed to you a few times too many, or you're incredibly lucky.

Instant gratification just isn't the way it works outside of the retarded draft lottery.

A 20+ minute Dman for less than Zucker?

Want Stone for Coyle or Neidereiter?

We have 3rd line junk, don't need to give up 20 minute D for more.

I'm really not terribly reactive. Need guys that shoot smarter.

Probably have them, or get them young.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't set much store by the 3v3. It doesn't happen every game & when it does it means you are already playing just to salvage a point. It's like carrying a shootout specialist that isn't good for much in real time so you waste a roster spot. Again to get 1 point rather than 2 out of the game.

The aim every game should be to win in regular time & avoid the Bettman sideshows.

I wouldn't trade Brodie just for the sake of making a trade. The return needs to be to fill a roster hole. You don't pull a Chia offering a player but when turned down be so desperate to land that player you pay what the other team insists on. That's how an offer of Eberle turned into Hall for Larsson. If the return is Stone level you sure don't up the ante to TJ.

41 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That's fair, I wasn't being harsh, just a different view.

Not on the attack, but the constant lose Bennett, Brodie, Brouwer gets a little tired.

We'll be okay not doing that, imho.

Just hold the fort, there's payoff in that.

You don't develop character without getting your butt handed to you a few times too many, or you're incredibly lucky.

Instant gratification just isn't the way it works outside of the retarded draft lottery.

A 20+ minute Dman for less than Zucker?

Want Stone for Coyle or Neidereiter?

We have 3rd line junk, don't need to give up 20 minute D for more.

I'm really not terribly reactive. Need guys that shoot smarter.

Probably have them, or get them young.

So the example was just an example.  Fair trade, probably not.

Brodie for Hall?  Sure.

Brodie for Hoffman?  Consider it.

Brodie for Mark Stone?  Absolutely.

Brodie has value, and subtracting him just for a marginal player doesn't make sense.

How he was used or coached isn't necessarily indicative of how good he can play.

I don;t think it made sense to play him as the only D on the top PP unit. 

I don't think it made sense to play him the most minutes of any D, especially if he was struggling.

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=73110

I wonder if we should give this guy a contract. Ville Leskinen, RHS RW, 24 years old, 6'1" 185lbs. 23 goals and 45 points in 49 games in Finland.

Sure looks like he has pretty good wheels.

If he could be picked up as a UFA this is the very type of player the Flames should be on the look out for this offseason.

This raises the question of where does Tuulola RW fit into the scheme of things for the Flames this coming season ?