The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Brodie is more valuable than a "meh" forward.

Swing a Hall trade, and it's a no-brainer to make the trade.

I don't think we'll see that, but I do think that we could get a decent forward for Brodie. I know that a lot of people like Montreal as a trading partner for TJ, and I think you could probably work out a deal for Galchenyuk, but I would anticipate they'll be looking for a RHS. 

Love. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I don't think we'll see that, but I do think that we could get a decent forward for Brodie. I know that a lot of people like Montreal as a trading partner for TJ, and I think you could probably work out a deal for Galchenyuk, but I would anticipate they'll be looking for a RHS. 

Love. 

Decent forwards are a dime a dozen.  Having a dman that can turn on a dime with the puck and skate like the wind the other way isn't.  If our new coaching staff can teach Brodie where the opposition net is and how to get the puck there more often we could be in for some serious entertainment.  Our 3 vs 3 OT record has been the evy of the league for a few years now and Brodie is a big part of that as well, sure its only regular season but those pts count too.  Brodie was somewhat underwhelming last season, hence the new coaches and strategy.  Brodie has more to give, that's why I'm keeping him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Gaudreau's on the AMERICAN team.

All in jest I know. I look more for our scouts to have their eyes peeled for a possible Euro player that could be had as a FA pick up for the Flames.

I wonder if we are in on the Kovalchuk sweepstakes. He checks a couple of boxes, RHS sniper and proven scorer. The only problem is that he is 35 and will probably want a 2-3 year term and he is probably about as fast as Troy Brouwer. For the amount of money and term he will get it's a bit risky, but he could be an answer to the top 6.

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

By all accounts Kovalchuk to the Rangers sounds like a done deal....

I have heard the same thing, just wondering if Tre was making the call to see if he wanted to come here. Signings Kovalchuk seems like a strange move for a team that told their fans that they are going into a rebuild.

Here are the RHS wingers that I think could be had this summer:

William Nylander: He might be the most elite of the wingers that would be available and thus the acquisition cost will be very high, he also needs a new contract that would most likely come in around Monahan and Gaudreau's numbers. I think we are talking Dougie Hamilton going the other way, in a dream scenario it would be Travis Hamonic but I am not sure that tips the scales enough to get a young star like Nylander,

Josh Leivo: Seldom used winger under Babcock, was rumoured to have asked for a trade at one point, which I am guessing wouldn't have sat well with Lou. He showed potential and is strong skater, I think he would benefit greatly from a change of scenery. Probably wouldn't cost very much, might even be a throw in on a bigger trade like Hamilton for Nylander and Leivo.

Tyler Johnson: Small, skilled and quick. Can play the wing or center. Tampa might look to off load some salary to help themselves out in other areas. I wonder if a Brodie for Johnson trade makes sense for both teams. His NTC kicks in on July 1st, he carries a cap hit of $5mill for the next 6 years, he is only 27 so the term shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

Kyle Okposo: I think Buffalo would probably like to get out from under this contract that sees Okposo carry a cap hit of $6mill for the next 5 years. At 30 years old and a history of injury acquiring Okposo would be pretty risky. If he managed to get back to career norms it would be a worthwhile risk. He has shown that he can play with talent and produce. He does carry a NMC. I would guess that Buffalo would have to eat salary and/or take a bad contract back in the trade, Brouwer anyone?

Sam Reinhart: He has been in the rumour mill for awhile now, and it sounds like Botterill is wanting to make some pretty big changes this offseason. Reinhart did manage to put up 25 goals and 50 points this season. There are questions with skating. I am not sure what it would cost to get him, Brodie for Reinhart might work, but I don't know if that is a good trade or a fit for us.

David Perron: He is coming off a career with 66 points at 29 years old. He is a UFA so we wouldn't have to give up assets. He has been pretty inconsistent through his career, which gives me pause on handing him a big contract.

I am sure there are other names out there, but these are the main candidates IMO. Guys like Gallagher and Kapanen, would be great adds I am just not sure their teams are going to move them.