The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

53 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If he could be picked up as a UFA this is the very type of player the Flames should be on the look out for this offseason.

This raises the question of where does Tuulola RW fit into the scheme of things for the Flames this coming season ?

Here's an article about Eetu.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/03/22/flamesnation-prospect-wrap-up-eetu-tuulola/

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Talk about an ill-informed writer. Tuulola is like Tkachuk IMO mature beyond his age and I think he could be a 3rd line RW answer for us next season. This kid is tenacious, tough, can skate and can score. I would love to see him get a full opportunity this coming season. If he needs some work having him close at hand in the AHL would be solid depth .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Talk about an ill-informed writer. Tuulola is like Tkachuk IMO mature beyond his age and I think he could be a 3rd line RW answer for us next season. This kid is tenacious, tough, can skate and can score. I would love to see him get a full opportunity this coming season. If he needs some work having him close at hand in the AHL would be solid depth .

We already have plenty of answers for the 3rd line RW. Tuulola is signed for next season in Finalnd so I don't think he would come over to play in the AHL next year, which is where he would most likely end up. His skating hasn't been his strong suit, he is strong on his skates, but lacks that first step and top end speed. I would rate him as little below average skating wise. I think he is a very good prospect who is probably best served gaining more pro experience in Finland.

If we do trade Brodie to improve our forward depth, something I would be in favour of. There are a few defensemen on the UFA market that should be good filler depth.

Calvin de Haan

Thomas Hickey

John Moore

Those 3 guys are guys I would look at, all 3 can skate can play in a 2nd pairing, but they also wouldn't block someone like Valimaki or Kulak if they showed capable of playing more minutes.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If we do trade Brodie to improve our forward depth, something I would be in favour of. There are a few defensemen on the UFA market that should be good filler depth.

Calvin de Haan

Thomas Hickey

John Moore

Those 3 guys are guys I would look at, all 3 can skate can play in a 2nd pairing, but they also wouldn't block someone like Valimaki or Kulak if they showed capable of playing more minutes.

Not to mention that Hamonic was at his best playing with De Haan. Numbers have been much better with De Haan than without. 

His injury history is worrisome but De Haan is a very underrated player IMO. I'm not really in favor of trading Brodie, but if the plan is to move Brodie and get De Hann I could get behind it.  Potential for a reasonable contract as well given the injury. 

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

We already have plenty of answers for the 3rd line RW. Tuulola is signed for next season in Finalnd so I don't think he would come over to play in the AHL next year, which is where he would most likely end up. His skating hasn't been his strong suit, he is strong on his skates, but lacks that first step and top end speed. I would rate him as little below average skating wise. I think he is a very good prospect who is probably best served gaining more pro experience in Finland.

Who is it you think we have for 3rd line answers that we couldn't use more depth there ? I have seen film on ET and he doesn't look like a below average skater (but that seems to be a thing with you). Anyways I disagree that the best thing for I'm is to stay in Finland because we need RW candidates for Stockton next season. We also need to build reliable depth options continuously if we want a successful team overall.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Calvin de Haan

Thomas Hickey

John Moore

If BT were to trade Brodie this would definitely be the short term answer for us. Valimaki will prove to be a fast development once here in the system.

Would be great if Eetu could come over but being under contract likely means the Flames don't have a choice. He's under contract so unless they want to try and buy him out of it, unlikely, their hands are tied. 

Hopefully once that deal is up next summer they can bring him over and see him in Stockton, but he isn't NHL ready right now. 

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Who is it you think we have for 3rd line answers that we couldn't use more depth there ? I have seen film on ET and he doesn't look like a below average skater (but that seems to be a thing with you). Anyways I disagree that the best thing for I'm is to stay in Finland because we need RW candidates for Stockton next season. We also need to build reliable depth options continuously if we want a successful team overall.

If we get another top 6 RW option in the offseason that pushes Frolik to 3rd line RW and Tuulola isn't beating out Frolik's for that job. 

As Cross said he is under contract for next year in Finland and most of those European contracts only have out clauses to play in the NHL if they have an out clause at all. Since Tuulola won't be playing in the NHL next year, he most likely won't get out his contract.

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not to mention that Hamonic was at his best playing with De Haan. Numbers have been much better with De Haan than without. 

His injury history is worrisome but De Haan is a very underrated player IMO. I'm not really in favor of trading Brodie, but if the plan is to move Brodie and get De Hann I could get behind it.  Potential for a reasonable contract as well given the injury. 

I also think we could get any of those 3 guys for $3.5m or under and most likely on short term deals. So I think if we can sign one of them and trade Brodie it makes a lot sense, especially if we can get someone like a Tyler Johnson for Brodie.

So here's a question to ponder, would you trade Dougie Hamilton to get the 3rd overall pick from Monteal? We would then draft one of Svechnikov or Zadina, both are LHS but can play both wings, I think Svechnikov prefers RW. Either would be more elite than any other player we could acquire in a trade, including Nylander.

I don't know if Hamilton gets you the 3rd overall but it would be close.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So here's a question to ponder, would you trade Dougie Hamilton to get the 3rd overall pick from Monteal? We would then draft one of Svechnikov or Zadina, both are LHS but can play both wings, I think Svechnikov prefers RW. Either would be more elite than any other player we could acquire in a trade, including Nylander.

Never

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If we get another top 6 RW option in the offseason that pushes Frolik to 3rd line RW and Tuulola isn't beating out Frolik's for that job. 

As Cross said he is under contract for next year in Finland and most of those European contracts only have out clauses to play in the NHL if they have an out clause at all. Since Tuulola won't be playing in the NHL next year, he most likely won't get out his contract.

I wasn't sure about the current contract which is why I brought him up as a consideration. THX cross for that information.

It may be a tall order for BT to get 2 top 6 RW options for us so it will be hard to determine where Frolik benefits us the most. Right now I would like to see a line of Bennett, Backlund and Frolik. I think this is the best fix to have Bennett break out and tap into his talents. The task IMO is creating another line using Tkachuk with Jankowski having less of a pressure role so they come together as a scoring line. Does Foo work on such a line or do we go outside for another RW option ? Could we see Ferland return to the top line for another season ?

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

It's a fair trade in terms of value but I'm actually more interested in Brady Tkachuk because he plays Center and brings a complete game.  I get that Svechnikov and Zadina might be the next Tarasenko but RHS RD top pair entering his prime is too much to pay for a scoring winger.

Nobody knows what Montreal wants to do as the pressure to win is huge and they want that Francophone superstar player which is not available in this draft.  They could very well trade out of their draft position.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Hamilton is a young, big #1, top-scoring D in the NHL on a good contract.  He should get significantly more than just the #3OA pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

Hamilton is a young, big #1, top-scoring D in the NHL on a good contract.  He should get significantly more than just the #3OA pick.

You beat me to this. no way do we trade Hamilton for a 3OA.

More like Hamilton,( Poirior Their Francophone superstar )

for 2018 1st 3OA

2018 2nd

2019 1st lottery protect

If he could get that, I’d take it and run! Then I would switch Brodie back with Gio. And then if the other piece is a player or prospect, awesome!

i get that the devils got Hall, but how many times does that deal happen? 

Is Jones that much better as he got the Preds Johanson?

2 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

You beat me to this. no way do we trade Hamilton for a 3OA.

More like Hamilton,) Poirior Their Francophone superstar )

for 2018 1st 3OA

2018 2nd

2019 1st lottery protect

You guys mean 3rd overall right? Not 30th. 

If if that’s your ask, go two 1sts?

The logic of trading a 25 year old top pairing dman signed to a bargain contract who just led the league in goals at his position, and in only just entering his prime, for picks is such a frustrating thought process

To each his own, but IMO it's complete insanity to even contemplate. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The logic of trading a 25 year old top pairing dman signed to a bargain contract who just led the league in goals at his position, and in only just entering his prime, for picks is such a frustrating thought process

I don;t know if the shinny new dime is intriguing to some, or some just feel that Hamilton is a crappy d-man, but I don't get the value comparison.

Taylor Hall for Hamilton would be closer to par value.  A 3rd overall (chance of a decent player) for Hamilton (top 2 D-man) just starting his prime?  Crazy.

If someone suggested trading Brodie for Brady Tkachuk, I might have a different response.  Maybe.  

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

But you would trade him for Rasmus Dahlin.  Right?

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don;t know if the shinny new dime is intriguing to some, or some just feel that Hamilton is a crappy d-man, but I don't get the value comparison.

Taylor Hall for Hamilton would be closer to par value.  A 3rd overall (chance of a decent player) for Hamilton (top 2 D-man) just starting his prime?  Crazy.

If someone suggested trading Brodie for Brady Tkachuk, I might have a different response.  Maybe.  

Well, it was rumored Montreal was going to trade PK Subban for the Oilers 4th overall pick + unproven Draisaitl (and the Habs would select Dubios).  So maybe a fair equivalent is Hamilton for Montreal's 3rd overall + Drouin or Galchenyuk.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, it was rumored Montreal was going to trade PK Subban for the Oilers 4th overall pick + unproven Draisaitl (and the Habs would select Dubios).  So maybe a fair equivalent is Hamilton for Montreal's 3rd overall + Drouin or Galchenyuk.

Why the big push to trade a young premier Defensemen in the league just now tapping into his natural talents for an unknown player with no NHL experience ? Get real.

Do you want to be continuously rebuilding ? I know I don't.

Just now, MAC331 said:

Why the big push to trade a young premier Defensemen in the league just now tapping into his natural talents for an unknown player with no NHL experience ? Get real.

Do you want to be continuously rebuilding ? I know I don't.

Ya I should add im not saying we do it.  Just saying for the sake of discussion and comparison.