The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

We have a new Coach how about we leave it alone for the first 20 games if still nothing then perhaps time to make a move. I know lots will say will be to late by then because know one will want him because he has not made any advancement in the right direction and perhaps so but right now I would be scared to see what we would get in return due to lack of production. He is a very good third liner being 4th over all we should be looking at top 1-2 C but not so. When we first got him and Dris was sent back to minors and Bennett was killing it in the playoffs I was so happy now the tables have turned and now not so much. So hoping new coach will change everything. I can dream;) 

37 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But it's still the same question. What do you want? What do you think OUR needs are?

At forward, I think we need guys that have better than average snipes and can be solid net presence to pound in rebounds.

Then it's a question of what are you willing to sacrifice in the d zone?

You can't have it all.

R/L shot doesn't really matter imo, the L vs R options favour the left by a lot. Teams have to deal with it because it's a reality.

I'd get Tom Wilson too, but know what you're getting, he's a mucker, not so much a snipe.

If we sent Brodie or Bennett for Wilson, I'd be disappointed.

Tom Wilson is not a skill player, and imho we need more skill.

I don't know how to keep answering you. I have said as much that we need a skilled RW for our top line. In addition, we could use a player such as Gallagher or Wilson as our team needs these type of players because they bring a team together. Judging by what Gallagher did or even Wilson with their goal totals I would say they know what to do with a rebound. As to what you are trying to say about sacrifices will occur in the D zone I have no idea what you are talking about.

27 minutes ago, zima said:

We have a new Coach how about we leave it alone for the first 20 games if still nothing then perhaps time to make a move. I know lots will say will be to late by then because know one will want him because he has not made any advancement in the right direction and perhaps so but right now I would be scared to see what we would get in return due to lack of production. He is a very good third liner being 4th over all we should be looking at top 1-2 C but not so. When we first got him and Dris was sent back to minors and Bennett was killing it in the playoffs I was so happy now the tables have turned and now not so much. So hoping new coach will change everything. I can dream;) 

I would agree somewhat but the exception to this thinking is for bigger trades(our RW needs) it is easier for amost teams to make that trade in the offseason when the cap has no bearing on the rosters you carry until seasons puck drop.

So now until start of next season is the easiest time for other teams to make a high profile trade. 

I would say our biggest need is if not a top line wing, a 3rd line wing.

Our top 6 was fine last year. But our bottom 6 was atrocious. If BT wants to keep his D intact then go after Perron on a 3 year deal if possible. Third lines win you championships and last year our third line wasn’t good enough. A skilled and experienced RW could do wonders for Janko and Bennett

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would say our biggest need is if not a top line wing, a 3rd line wing.

Our top 6 was fine last year. But our bottom 6 was atrocious. If BT wants to keep his D intact then go after Perron on a 3 year deal if possible. Third lines win you championships and last year our third line wasn’t good enough. A skilled and experienced RW could do wonders for Janko and Bennett

Or bringing in a top winger and moving Ferland to the 3rd line could help even more.

If Ferland could snipe 20 with Janko, that would give needed scoring.

There's also the possibility of switching Bennett to RW.

Bring up Mangiapane for 3rd line LW.  There's a sniper.

Really, the advantage of trading for a good RW is that it gives you options.  You aren't forced to rely on Ferland scoring 20+.  You can move Ferland or Frolic down.  You lose a winger from the top 6, you aren;t moving guys up that haven't been able to score in the lesser lines. 

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I don't know how to keep answering you. I have said as much that we need a skilled RW for our top line. In addition, we could use a player such as Gallagher or Wilson as our team needs these type of players because they bring a team together. Judging by what Gallagher did or even Wilson with their goal totals I would say they know what to do with a rebound. As to what you are trying to say about sacrifices will occur in the D zone I have no idea what you are talking about.

A "skilled" RW is completely open for translation. What it isn't, is fast, sniper, heavy hitter, good defensively, etc etc. What skills do we put the premium on? And if you think you found the right skillsets (you can't have all of them) it becomes a question of their defensive play and how much you value that.

For example, Iggy was a heck of a snipe and sandpaper guy, but he was a liability on D.

13 hours ago, MAC331 said:

While you and I have differing views on what could help Brodie get is game back on track I do agree they should give Peters a crack at him. In regards to Hamonic I think you are out to lunch, first off I don't think you judge a trade on1 year of performance. How people will or should see this trade is in a worthy period of time like 3 years at least. Then let people decide if we got value in the end.

Im not. people act like this was a one off year for Hamonic but reality is he's played like this the last 3 years. I don't think he'll ever be worth what the Flames paid, and when you see the trend in his career I think it's only a matter of time before more see it too. 

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

Im not. people act like this was a one off year for Hamonic but reality is he's played like this the last 3 years. I don't think he'll ever be worth what the Flames paid, and when you see the trend in his career I think it's only a matter of time before more see it too. 

Time will tell it always does. I like the way he plays and happy to have him on this team. Did we pay to much yes but that is the way it goes sometimes.

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

A "skilled" RW is completely open for translation. What it isn't, is fast, sniper, heavy hitter, good defensively, etc etc. What skills do we put the premium on? And if you think you found the right skillsets (you can't have all of them) it becomes a question of their defensive play and how much you value that.

For example, Iggy was a heck of a snipe and sandpaper guy, but he was a liability on D.

I guess that is true if you are expecting a complete player such as Crosby or Toews without paying for it. I agree not all players will have every quality we all would want them to have for our top line RW in today's game. I look at Gaudreau and Monahan and see a feeder/sniper in Gaudreau and a pure sniper in Monahan. In order to shut that line down the focus shifts to effecting Gaudreau play making. The complimentary player for RW IMO would be another playmaker/sniper with good speed preferably some size so the scoring gets spread around and the line not easy to defend.

St. Louis has slew of young RW coming up through the system, Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou, Klim Kostin, Nikita Soshnikov. What are the chances they move one of them? Kyrou has the highest ceiling of the bunch and thus would cost a lot to acquire. What about Tage Thompson, the guy has size, skates really well for a player his size, has some skill. The point totals don't jump off the page at you so that is a bit of a concern. He sort of reminds me of Nick Bjugstad in Florida.

31 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

St. Louis has slew of young RW coming up through the system, Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou, Klim Kostin, Nikita Soshnikov. What are the chances they move one of them? Kyrou has the highest ceiling of the bunch and thus would cost a lot to acquire. What about Tage Thompson, the guy has size, skates really well for a player his size, has some skill. The point totals don't jump off the page at you so that is a bit of a concern. He sort of reminds me of Nick Bjugstad in Florida.

They've also got Robert Thomas(RHC) coming up a yr or 2 behind those guys. That is some fwd depth.

It's hard to pinpoint what they need though, first priority looks like G, but after that they look fairly solid throughout.

Even at D with Vince Dunn coming in and looking solid.

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They've also got Robert Thomas(RHC) coming up a yr or 2 behind those guys. That is some fwd depth.

It's hard to pinpoint what they need though, first priority looks like G, but after that they look fairly solid throughout.

Even at D with Vince Dunn coming in and looking solid.

Armstrong deserves a ton of credit for doing a bit of rebuilding on the fly and still staying competitive. I think Armstrong takes some heat for trading away players at the deadline, but I think he is just being honest about his team the last two years and his team will be better for it. One of the reasons I really want to bring Al MacInnis back into the fold, aside from bringing back one of my all time favorite players, is that he has most likely gained a ton of experience working with Armstrong. 

58 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Tage Thompson for me, I like the way he plays the game, results will come for him playing with the right line mates. I would try a Bennett for Thompson.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Armstrong deserves a ton of credit for doing a bit of rebuilding on the fly and still staying competitive. I think Armstrong takes some heat for trading away players at the deadline, but I think he is just being honest about his team the last two years and his team will be better for it. One of the reasons I really want to bring Al MacInnis back into the fold, aside from bringing back one of my all time favorite players, is that he has most likely gained a ton of experience working with Armstrong. 

I actually went to high school with Army, played Bball together etc. One of the nicest guys I knew.

You can trade Ryan Reaves and get Klim Kostin in return? Wow.

Their drafting has been superb, I just salivate looking at their prospects.

I wonder if we can squeeze in a 3 team deal with them, but they have enough to upgrade at G 1-on-1.

They have a lot of fwd prospects I'd love. Same with Tampa.

These already solid teams are really annoying in prospect depth, fantastic managing.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Tage Thompson for me, I like the way he plays the game, results will come for him playing with the right line mates. I would try a Bennett for Thompson.

Problem is, if Fabbri's in good health, they have no need for Bennett.

If anything, maybe we could shore up their D prospect pool, but would we want to part with Andersson?

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Problem is, if Fabbri's in good health, they have no need for Bennett.

If anything, maybe we could shore up their D prospect pool, but would we want to part with Andersson?

I would part with Andersson if that was the ask. We are in a good position to hang tough D wise along our RSD.

First off, I'll apologize that I can't provide a decent link, so maybe this isn't true.

But did Elliotte Friedman allude to us listening to offers on Hamilton?

I don't want to cause widespread panic, just looking for clarification.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

First off, I'll apologize that I can't provide a decent link, so maybe this isn't true.

From what I have heard and read, it's more that we are most likely looking to make a big move, and that teams are going to be calling on Hamilton. I don't know that he specifically said we listening to offers. If I am Treliving I am at least listening to offers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Here is the link.

https://frshockey.com/nhl/flames/friedman-considers-hamilton-and-bennett-trade-potential/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

From what I have heard and read, it's more that we are most likely looking to make a big move, and that teams are going to be calling on Hamilton. I don't know that he specifically said we listening to offers. If I am Treliving I am at least listening to offers.

Just to raise cross' ire, lol, I'd be ready to circle back on the Hamilton deal we made if it gets us back to square one of, "should've had a more balanced focus". If we can pull fwds out of him. We've built up some D depth but wow are we in trouble at F. So much trouble that we should definitely consider sacrifices.

I think we got ahead of ourselves in the rebuild with the Hamilton acquisition.

Then BT does the exact same thing with the Hamonic acquisition.

All at the expense of where our biggest problem is, at forward.

I agree you build a team from the net out, but G and D was so overplayed that we're stuck with below average at F and can't score enough.

I knew this was going to be a really difficult offseason to get better and I threw my hands in the air.

I just don't know, we have so many holes that Smith's play hid.

Do you think we'll go drastic measures?

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Just to raise cross' ire, lol, I'd be ready to circle back on the Hamilton deal we made if it gets us back to square one of, "should've had a more balanced focus". If we can pull fwds out of him. We've built up some D depth but wow are we in trouble at F. So much trouble that we should definitely consider sacrifices.

I think we got ahead of ourselves in the rebuild with the Hamilton acquisition.

Then BT does the exact same thing with the Hamonic acquisition.

All at the expense of where our biggest problem is, at forward.

I agree you build a team from the net out, but G and D was so overplayed that we're stuck with below average at F and can't score enough.

I knew this was going to be a really difficult offseason to get better and I threw my hands in the air.

I just don't know, we have so many holes that Smith's play hid.

Do you think we'll go drastic measures?

I'm standing by my prediction that Brodie is the bait , and BT's going fishing in Mtl or Toronto

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

He played his last 10 seasons with the Blues. He likes it there and they treat him very well. You are dreaming if you think he will return to work for the Flames.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I actually went to high school with Army, played Bball together etc. One of the nicest guys I knew.

You can trade Ryan Reaves and get Klim Kostin in return? Wow.

Their drafting has been superb, I just salivate looking at their prospects.

I wonder if we can squeeze in a 3 team deal with them, but they have enough to upgrade at G 1-on-1.

They have a lot of fwd prospects I'd love. Same with Tampa.

These already solid teams are really annoying in prospect depth, fantastic managing.

It is definitely upsetting that those teams have great depth in their systems and it seems they’re always bringing in new peices. I guess we’ve done that a little, but how many are really game breakers, or even great complimentary pieces? 

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I would part with Andersson if that was the ask. We are in a good position to hang tough D wise along our RSD.

I would say we have some depth at D in our prospects but it is a stretch to say they could cover our top 4 should a serious injury occur. We certainly can't afford to trade away from our D top 4 at this time unless BT changes his thinking of building our team like the Preds with a strong D.

Most teams however, don't have a top 4 but trrather a really good top 2 and maybe a top 3.

The other thing is all our D are on very nice contracts. Trading any of them would have to bring something similar back. Most of our core is set except for Bennett who needs to step up in his final "show me" year.

• Like 1

I know every time Tavares is brought up people role their eyes, because its just not happening, but lets dream again for a bit.

If we get him, does mony become expendable? We could do a one for one and get an elite, young, winger.

St louis just traded stastny and now has hole at center.  Could we pry kyrou and thomas from them for monahan?

It would momentarily reduce our depth, but we'd arguably gain some blue chip prospects.