The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

For the record i've always said I have no issue trading Hamilton but it better be for a big return. 

Trading him for picks/prospects and futures is what I consider to be laughable. If you want to trade him for a younger RW, RHS, who has top line potential but can still come in and contribute now I'm all ears. I'm just not for trading him for assets that may or may not work out, that's what gets me.

Trading Hamilton for picks/prospects is like the Family Guy Mystery box. Just insert "Dougie Hamilton" instead of boat....

family_guy.jpg

• Like 2

Ok how about this? 

Dougie Hamilton and Sam Bennett

for 

Mark Stone and Cody Ceci and Pittsburgh's 2018 1st.

I don't know if the 2018 2st is me being greedy or the the value is about right. I think Ottawa has to trade Karlsson because the relationship there has been so fractured at this point that they need to make that move. I also think taking on Hamilton gives them some nice cost certainty for a cheap organization as well as a replacement for Karlsson. Taking on 2 RFA's with ARB rights lets Ottawa avoid having to give them big paydays. Ceci can slide into our top 4 and Stone fits perfectly on our top line.

20 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Ok how about this? 

for 

I don't know if the 2018 2st is me being greedy or the the value is about right. I think Ottawa has to trade Karlsson because the relationship there has been so fractured at this point that they need to make that move. I also think taking on Hamilton gives them some nice cost certainty for a cheap organization as well as a replacement for Karlsson. Taking on 2 RFA's with ARB rights lets Ottawa avoid having to give them big paydays. Ceci can slide into our top 4 and Stone fits perfectly on our top line.

This is an important year in OTT, they have to give COL their 2019 1st so they can't tank. Like you mentioned Karlsson will most likely be moved and even respected insiders like Friedman believe that to be the case. Hamilton makes a ton of sense for them as a younger and cheaper top pair RHD that can replace EK. Stone for Hamilton is a trade I really hope happens, even if it means we keep Michael around. 

7 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I don't buy into this necessarily. Everyone thinks by trading Brodie or Hamilton for a top line RW wins the day for us. I would say we need to improve lines 2, 3 and 4 while keeping our defense group. Whoever plays with Gaudreau and Monahan will do well, how well is the question. Unless we stand to get a player that makes both Gaudreau and Monahan better I don't use either Brodie or Hamilton.

In terms of improving lines 2, 3 and 4.. all you need is that top player thats better than Ferland and you will improve the other 3 lines at once.

Suddenly  Ferland , Frolik, and whoever are 2,3,4  and youre not backfilling 4

Foo could make Versteeg expendable , but id still sign him for depth , or play one on the left

just keeps coming back to , unless you sign an RFA (and overpay for them, cuz thats what happens with UFA)  who are you trading?

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is an important year in OTT, they have to give COL their 2019 1st so they can't tank. Like you mentioned Karlsson will most likely be moved and even respected insiders like Friedman believe that to be the case. Hamilton makes a ton of sense for them as a younger and cheaper top pair RHD that can replace EK. Stone for Hamilton is a trade I really hope happens, even if it means we keep Michael around. 

If I'm trading Hamilton and Bennett to Ottawa.. the conversation starts with Karlsson with a signed extension, and ends when it does not include it 

56 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Ok how about this? 

for 

On the surface appears to be something both sides would consider. Probably an overpayment for Ottawa because they seem to still think highly of Ceci. 

for me, I'd need to see some more of Ceci. I haven't watched him play much but his metrics are absolutely awful and are worse than Stone's (Michael). I know he has drawn the ire of a lot of writers I respect so this trade would worry me a fair because Ceci sure seems to be sinking at the NHL level. I guess at the end of the day if you wound up with Mark Stone and a 1st for Hamilton and Bennett it's not the end of the world, but it's not fantastic either.

I think a lot of it would depend on what Stone is looking for on an extension. If it's 7.5-8mill or something, would probably give me some pause. 

17 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

In terms of improving lines 2, 3 and 4.. all you need is that top player thats better than Ferland and you will improve the other 3 lines at once.

Suddenly  Ferland , Frolik, and whoever are 2,3,4  and youre not backfilling 4

Foo could make Versteeg expendable , but id still sign him for depth , or play one on the left

just keeps coming back to , unless you sign an RFA (and overpay for them, cuz thats what happens with UFA)  who are you trading?

I wouldn't disagree with you and have said as much. We have the opportunity to have one of the strongest LW sides in hockey with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Ferland and Bennett. Heck if everyone doesn't want Bennett played any higher than 4th line he would be a definite asset at 1.950M, maybe he finds his game. Which brings us back to the RW side and our needs there. I would say right now Frolik is the only RW anyone has any confidence in heading into next season.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

On the surface appears to be something both sides would consider. Probably an overpayment for Ottawa because they seem to still think highly of Ceci. 

for me, I'd need to see some more of Ceci. I haven't watched him play much but his metrics are absolutely awful and are worse than Stone's (Michael). I know he has drawn the ire of a lot of writers I respect so this trade would worry me a fair because Ceci sure seems to be sinking at the NHL level. I guess at the end of the day if you wound up with Mark Stone and a 1st for Hamilton and Bennett it's not the end of the world, but it's not fantastic either.

I think a lot of it would depend on what Stone is looking for on an extension. If it's 7.5-8mill or something, would probably give me some pause. 

I think these ideas of trading Hamilton are crazy and won't ever happen. Would Stone and Mangiapane to TOR get us Kapanen and a 3rd round pick back ? Kapanen would help improve our 2nd or 3rd line RW.

30 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think these ideas of trading Hamilton are crazy and won't ever happen. Would Stone and Mangiapane to TOR get us Kapanen and a 3rd round pick back ? Kapanen would help improve our 2nd or 3rd line RW.

Would Mangiapane alone get us Kapanen? Stone is basically worth the 3rd.

57 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Probably not. I don't see Leafs liking Stone. Mangianpane for Kapanen doesn't make a ton of sense for them 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I doubt that it happens either given that teams rarely make those old blockbuster trades anymore. At the same time, I suppose that even Gretzky was traded, so it is a possibility. Without inside knowledge, we generally tend to talk about unlikely possibilities. Having said that, if we were to talk about trading Hamilton, I would expect the price tag to be very high. Not only is he young and improving, he is a very large defenceman who can score. He is also on a reasonable contract. Those types of players are rare.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I doubt that it happens either given that teams rarely make those old blockbuster trades anymore. At the same time, I suppose that even Gretzky was traded, so it is a possibility. Without inside knowledge, we generally tend to talk about unlikely possibilities. Having said that, if we were to talk about trading Hamilton, I would expect the price tag to be very high. Not only is he young and improving, he is a very large defenceman who can score. He is also on a reasonable contract. Those types of players are rare.

The problem becomes how does BT like the mental makeup of his team?

I've heard talk that Hamilton is just a different cat. Won't link any because it's simply opinion, everyone's got one.

But it is definitely worth, at least, exploring what he would fetch.

He's undoubtedly a solid trade return.

Tbay wouldn't offer Point, but you have to think in those terms. Johnson AND Katchouk.

You should definitely get a lot better at fwd trading a Hamilton, move Brodie back with Gio.

It deserves consideration.

• Like 1

I think that Kyle Palmieri for TJ Brodie would be close to an even trade that would benefit both teams.
The Devils need a Top 4 D (Brodie can play either side) and the Flames need a Top 6 RW.
They're both 27, both have an 8 team no trade list, and have nearly identical Cap Hits. Palmieri has one extra year on his contract.
Defence-men usually return more than wingers, so perhaps the Devils might have to add a little, maybe the return of Calgary's 2018 5th round pick (originally traded to Arizona for Michael Stone)?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I'm confident that Stone could return a 3rd round draft pick all day long, maybe even a 2nd from a team desperate for a RHRD that can move up to the 2nd pairing in a pinch.

I don't really have a lot of interest in Kapanen - 21yr, as he hasn't shown much in his 45 NHL games (over parts of 3 seasons).

That said, the Flames really need more RW prospects.

I wouldn't offer much too more than Mangiapane - 22yr C/LW in exchange.

JVR - 29yr (LW), Bozak  - 32yr (C), Plekanac - 35yr (C), and Moore - 37yr (C/LW) are all UFAs on July 1, so maybe the Leafs could use a C/LW like Mangiapane.

IMO, Kapanen and Mangiapane are both smallish forwards who will need to play above the 4th line in order to be effective.

They'll both be RFAs without arbitration rights at the end of next season.

43 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm confident that Stone could return a 3rd round draft pick all day long, maybe even a 2nd from a team desperate for a RHRD that can move up to the 2nd pairing in a pinch.

I don't really have a lot of interest in Kapanen - 21yr, as he hasn't shown much in his 45 NHL games (over parts of 3 seasons).

That said, the Flames really need more RW prospects.

I wouldn't offer much too more than Mangiapane - 22yr C/LW in exchange.

JVR - 29yr (LW), Bozak  - 32yr (C), Plekanac - 35yr (C), and Moore - 37yr (C/LW) are all UFAs on July 1, so maybe the Leafs could use a C/LW like Mangiapane.

IMO, Kapanen and Mangiapane are both smallish forwards who will need to play above the 4th line in order to be effective.

They'll both be RFAs without arbitration rights at the end of next season.

I like what I’ve seen in Kapenen myself. I haven’t seen enough of Mang to see whether they’re even. 

Players dont tend to produce right away unless they’re borderline elite. Even Backlund looked off and on to begin his career. They won’t be the same player, but still.

to me it looks like he has 2nd and 3rd line potential. Kapanen has really good speed though.

13 hours ago, cross16 said:

Probably not. I don't see Leafs liking Stone. Mangianpane for Kapanen doesn't make a ton of sense for them 

They could use a good RHS RD and more LW options, I don't think it would be out of the possibilities.

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Mangiapane alone likely starts with Leivo, which I would also do.

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Mangiapane alone doesn't get you Kapanen's. I actually think the cost to get Kapanen's is going to be higher than he is worth. Kapanen's speed is game changing, does he have the hands to be consistent finisher is to be seen, but he has shown glimpses of it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Mangiapane alone doesn't get you Kapanen's. I actually think the cost to get Kapanen's is going to be higher than he is worth. Kapanen's speed is game changing, does he have the hands to be consistent finisher is to be seen, but he has shown glimpses of it. 

Like what ? this is awfully vague. The qualities you mention is the very reason to go for Kapanen while TOR has a surplus at the position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Like what ? this is awfully vague. The qualities you mention is the very reason to go for Kapanen while TOR has a surplus at the position.

I can see Toronto going hard after a defenseman this off season, their right side is extremely weak. I wonder if they still have interest in Hamonic. Maybe some thing like Hamonic for Kapanen, Leivo and a 2nd/3rd. 

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I can see Toronto going hard after a defenseman this off season, their right side is extremely weak. I wonder if they still have interest in Hamonic. Maybe some thing like Hamonic for Kapanen, Leivo and a 2nd/3rd. 

How about Stone RD and Bennett C/LW for Kapanen RW, Martin LW and a 2nd round pick ? This would be giving upon Bennett however we would still be strong on LW while improving our RW side.

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

How about Stone RD and Bennett C/LW for Kapanen RW, Martin LW and a 2nd round pick ? This would be giving upon Bennett however we would still be strong on LW while improving our RW side.

Martin isn't very good and is on a terrible contract, I don't want anything to him.

51 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Love the  trade or hate the trade, there is no point in trading the only guy on the team willing to stand up for his team or goalie.

First year of Dougie and first year of Hamonic were both underwelming.  

Hamonic is here to stay.

Consider Brodie to be the only high-value D asset they have that bring you missing pieces.

Bennett would be a one-for-one trade for a similar player.

Realistically, the only way we get a better asset is taking on a bad contract with the desired piece.

Bennett for Ryan + Hoffman.  And we would likely need to add to that to make it worth OTT's while. 

39 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Martin isn't very good and is on a terrible contract, I don't want anything to him.

I would take him in order to move Stone out. We can handle his contract and he isn't as terrible as you make him sound. I don't care what anyone says here you need some beef that can play some hockey in the Western Conference.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Love the  trade or hate the trade, there is no point in trading the only guy on the team willing to stand up for his team or goalie.

First year of Dougie and first year of Hamonic were both underwelming.  

Hamonic is here to stay.

Consider Brodie to be the only high-value D asset they have that bring you missing pieces.

Bennett would be a one-for-one trade for a similar player.

Realistically, the only way we get a better asset is taking on a bad contract with the desired piece.

Bennett for Ryan + Hoffman.  And we would likely need to add to that to make it worth OTT's while. 

I agree BT isn't going to give up on Hamonic after dealing for him and paying what he did. Forget the OTT deal that is just not worth doing.