The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I think if BT has shown us anything in his time here, it's that he isn't afraid to admit a mistake and correct if necessary, he isn't shy of a big deal, and he'll do what he thinks is right not what is popular. 

Bought out both Raymond and Bouma

Let Colborne walk for nothing rather than risk an Arb case. 

Dealt Glencross for picks even thought he was in a playoff race and people didn't think he could

Gave up a 2nd for Elliot but decided he wasn't in the long term plans and let him walk. 

Not suggesting that Treliving will shop Hamonic or that he will get moved, but to dismiss it as not possible I don't agree. If there is a Hamonic trade out there that improves the team I don't think Treliving would hesitate at all and I do think Hamonic is a dman the Flames would get calls about. 

I liken our situation to EDM's prior to the Hall trade.

They desperately needed a top pair D and had Hall, Eberle and Nuge to offer. They ended up moving Hall as he had the most value of the 3.

I see us in a similar spot we have Hamonic, Brodie and Hamilton and we desperately need a top 6 RW. I know some here hate the idea of moving Hamilton. I'm not necessarily on board with it either, but I would not be surprised if he was the guy who we trade 

49 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They desperately needed a top pair D and had Hall, Eberle and Nuge to offer. They ended up moving Hall as he had the most value of the 3.

I see us in a similar spot we have Hamonic, Brodie and Hamilton and we desperately need a top 6 RW. I know some here hate the idea of moving Hamilton. I'm not necessarily on board with it either, but I would not be surprised if he was the guy who we trade 

Thats fair.  I'm okay trading Hamilton but again, just need the right return.  

58 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think if BT has shown us anything in his time here, it's that he isn't afraid to admit a mistake and correct if necessary, he isn't shy of a big deal, and he'll do what he thinks is right not what is popular. 

Dealt Glencross for picks even thought he was in a playoff race and people didn't think he could

Gave up a 2nd for Elliot but decided he wasn't in the long term plans and let him walk. 

Not suggesting that Treliving will shop Hamonic or that he will get moved, but to dismiss it as not possible I don't agree. If there is a Hamonic trade out there that improves the team I don't think Treliving would hesitate at all and I do think Hamonic is a dman the Flames would get calls about. 

Yes agreed.  Just about the only mistake he has not admitted to was Brouwer.  

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes agreed.  Just about the only mistake he has not admitted to was Brouwer.  

Well and maybe in a months time or so we'll see that one added to the list. But it also may be out of his control. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well and maybe in a months time or so we'll see that one added to the list. But it also may be out of his control. 

True. I hope so.

Oh and probably the biggest move he's made to date to correct himself has been the hiring and firing of Gulutzan.  If he feels Hamonic isn't a right fit, then I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate to make a move. But can't remember is Hamonic's NTC still valid after his trade from NYI?

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

True. I hope so.

Oh and probably the biggest move he's made to date to correct himself has been the hiring and firing of Gulutzan.  If he feels Hamonic isn't a right fit, then I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate to make a move. But can't remember is Hamonic's NTC still valid after his trade from NYI?

Very good point I didn't add that to the list (mind you that was all off the top of my head) but probably his biggest one for sure.

I don't believe Hamonic ever had a no trade clause but if he did it does not appear it carried over (as per CapFriendly).

23 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I think that Kyle Palmieri for TJ Brodie would be close to an even trade that would benefit both teams.
The Devils need a Top 4 D (Brodie can play either side) and the Flames need a Top 6 RW.
They're both 27, both have an 8 team no trade list, and have nearly identical Cap Hits. Palmieri has one extra year on his contract.
Defence-men usually return more than wingers, so perhaps the Devils might have to add a little, maybe the return of Calgary's 2018 5th round pick (originally traded to Arizona for Michael Stone)?

Nice one. That could be a straight across deal as you've laid out the ledger here.

I think that's about what we should expect the range to be in trading Brodie for a RWer.

Kudos on understanding the "Realistic" part of the thread title!:lol:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I get what you are saying here, but let’s not forget that was a terrible trade that the oilers got fleeced on.

16 hours ago, cross16 said:

If he wants to correct is mistakes he should go one at a time and start with Brouwer. Hamonic is a good player and it isn't like we are paying him twice what he is worth.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

One problem with your thinking, we are not desperate for a top line RW. We could use one but I don't know that we should be taking away from what is a good situation with our defense to fix one position. EDM not only needed defense but they also needed to move one of those contracts and I have to think Hall was the only one teams asked about.

• Like 1

It seemed in BT's assessment that he was indicating there were players not bringing the passion and intensity level.

It will be interesting to see, if he does make any moves, if it will be the player(s) any of us think he means.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It seemed in BT's assessment that he was indicating there were players not bringing the passion and intensity level.

It will be interesting to see, if he does make any moves, if it will be the player(s) any of us think he means.

That's one of the reasons that keeps bringing me back to the idea of trading Hamilton. I like the player and the size and skill set that he possess, and I absolutely wouldn't just give him away, but there have been questions about his desire and commitment to the game and they have a followed him for awhile now. Those questions combined with the way he plays, where he never really seems to dig in in the big spots makes me wonder if he might be the guy BT looks to trade.

I think that combined with the fact that if we traded him now, we would be selling high on him and that if we want a true top line player that Hamilton is our only piece to get that done.

Again I am not in a hurry to trade Hamilton, just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks and trying to think of ways to improve the team.

Rutherford in his year end press conference said that Sprong will be a regular on their club next year (sorry Cross). 

It is pretty obvious that they need to upgrade their defense and Rutherford isn't afraid to make big moves. Is there a scenario where we can get Kessel for Brodie, I would imagine we would have to add. 

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That's one of the reasons that keeps bringing me back to the idea of trading Hamilton. I like the player and the size and skill set that he possess, and I absolutely wouldn't just give him away, but there have been questions about his desire and commitment to the game and they have a followed him for awhile now. Those questions combined with the way he plays, where he never really seems to dig in in the big spots makes me wonder if he might be the guy BT looks to trade.

I think that combined with the fact that if we traded him now, we would be selling high on him and that if we want a true top line player that Hamilton is our only piece to get that done.

Again I am not in a hurry to trade Hamilton, just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks and trying to think of ways to improve the team.

I think many misread Hamilton. I have seen many gifted athletes that come off with a lackadaisical attitude but then their talent speaks for itself. It always bugs guys (like me) the wrong way because most of the others have to work out like crazy to maintain a certain performance level. At the end of the day you have to out score the opposition and Hamilton does a lot for us in this regard. We have been building towards a good team and I am thinking we shouldn't be moving what we would consider the good parts now.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If that were the case (not saying it is), are we trading with ARI??

So the bros can reunite, lol.

Chychrun-Fischer-1st?

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I think many misread Hamilton. I have seen many gifted athletes that come off with a lackadaisical attitude but then their talent speaks for itself. It always bugs guys (like me) the wrong way because most of the others have to work out like crazy to maintain a certain performance level. At the end of the day you have to out score the opposition and Hamilton does a lot for us in this regard. We have been building towards a good team and I am thinking we shouldn't be moving what we would consider the good parts now.

It's just for conversation sakes MAC...

• Like 1

I find the lack of commitment stuff with Hamilton interesting. For me, in the 2nd half when the club was constantly battling for their playoff lives Hamilton was one of their best players. I mean i'm not in the room so I don't know what's going on inside, but from a far i'm not targeting Hamilton as a guy who lacks commitment. Again, i'm fine with discussing the mertis of trading Dougie Hamilton but they need to be hockey related. If he is the piece you need to get the right type of RW let's discuss that, but I think it's the window dressing stuff that get's annoying because none of it seems to be backed up by fact. I'd also put forward, that outside of Gio and Hamonic there is probably not a more involved player in the community than Doug Hamilton.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Rutherford in his year end press conference said that Sprong will be a regular on their club next year (sorry Cross). 

It is pretty obvious that they need to upgrade their defense and Rutherford isn't afraid to make big moves. Is there a scenario where we can get Kessel for Brodie, I would imagine we would have to add. 

I'm not surprised. Would have been a great get, but Pens need a player exactly like Sprong and with him being waiver eligible next year they have to try him at the NHL level. Means Bryan Rust likely is available though and I still like that option. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's just for conversation sakes MAC...

I understand and know half the fun on here is suggesting trades. In regards to your other question on who might the players be that appear not invested is a good one. My comments regarding Hamilton  were made because I know he can stand out as one of these types. There were a number of disheartening situations that I think took away from the team's efforts in the final few months and they started when Smith went down IMO. Then I believe other injuries started settling in with the others like Ferland, Tkachuk and Monahan very key players. All the other situations were dealing with ragtag line arrangements not getting the job done. I honestly don't see to much movement by BT until BP has had a full opportunity to evaluate this group.

4 hours ago, ABC923 said:

I get what you are saying here, but let’s not forget that was a terrible trade that the oilers got fleeced on.

Edm had the right concept, but made the wrong trade.. if they had pulled the trigger on the PK for Hall trade, that would have made sense and nobody would be complaining . When it fell thru he panicked and took the next offer on the table. Should have held on until he got the right offer again .

Sounds like Simmons is at the end of his contract so even if we did trade for him there's no guaranties he would resign? To me it would be a crazy trade plus why would we get rid of one of our best D men and he is only going to get better he's still a baby. Ok so perhaps he is going to be going into his prime in another few yrs but he will be renewing his contract by then.

2 minutes ago, zima said:

Sounds like Simmons is at the end of his contract so even if we did trade for him there's no guaranties he would resign? To me it would be a crazy trade plus why would we get rid of one of our best D men and he is only going to get better he's still a baby. Ok so perhaps he is going to be going into his prime in another few yrs but he will be renewing his contract by then.

exactly .. place Couturier in the conversation and i might be tempted to at least listen .. thats how much of a mistake I think it is trading Hamilton 

• Like 1

Simmons is the wrong type of player for the Flames to be targeting. soon to be 30 years old and a year away from UFA were he is likely going to get a contract that will be more than he is worth, or pay him for too long.

Wrong type of asset you deal a 25 year old top pairing dman in his prime for.