The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

29 minutes ago, zima said:

Sounds like Simmons is at the end of his contract so even if we did trade for him there's no guaranties he would resign? To me it would be a crazy trade plus why would we get rid of one of our best D men and he is only going to get better he's still a baby. Ok so perhaps he is going to be going into his prime in another few yrs but he will be renewing his contract by then.

Cross Didn't i just say same thing or along same lines?

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

If that were the case (not saying it is), are we trading with ARI??

So the bros can reunite, lol.

Chychrun-Fischer-1st?

I would take a good long hard look at that deal. Chychrun is going to be as good as Hamilton as soon as next year, Fischer can play in the top 6 and give us some size and then the 1st to top it off. 

• Like 1

I will preface this by saying I don't think BUF would be willing to move Reinhart now

But here's my proposal

Hamilton and Bennett

For O'Reilly (750k) retained and Okposo 

Okposo at 6x5 is a bit much and he has an injury history, but he is a right shot and is on a better contract than what we would be able to do in free agency.

A 2nd line of Tkachuk-O'Reilly-Okposo could be a heavy line that could be very good offensively

If anyone is interested in acquiring Ryan O'Reilly, here is you cautionary tale. Here is where Ryan O' Reilly would rank on the Flames last year. These stats are 5 on 5 stats and filtered per 60mins. It also only includes players who played 400mins or more

Goals - 11th. He would be behind Stajan

Total Assists - 12th. he would be behind both Brouwer and Bennett. Yes, Troy Brouwer.

1st Assists - 7th

Points/60 - 13th. He would be behind Curtis Lazar. 

I din't want to create that long a post but if you look at his things like shots, chances, rebounds created, rushes etc it's not any prettier. He really doesn't impact the game much 5 on 5 in anyway so basically a large portion of his production comes via the PP.  Now is this just Buffalo? perhaps but his numbers are also not that drastically different form Colorado to Buffalo. There is a drop but not a massive one and not enough of one to say that it's simply the talent around him.

This is not to say O'Reilly is a bad player. But you are talking about a MASSIVE amount of risk to give up the big assets you might have to and then pay him big salary to get this type of production 5 on 5. It's not a surprise at all that his name is coming up in rurmors. 

• Like 4

I know we need help and it takes a good player to get one but Hamilton ? Really he is will be a top player on this team for yrs that to me was the best trade BT has done. Now every one wants to move him to get better I think we would regress if we did that move Hamonic or TJ  or one of the kids but leave well enough alone when it comes to Hamilton please.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

We'll take Aho, Necas, Hanifin and Slavin please.

I wonder what it will take. Those guys won't come cheap.

Logic would say the Canes will be okay trading D for forwards given they have young D coming up the system and lack scoring.  But they will certainly draft Svechnikov.  Would they want Backlund?  

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

If anyone is interested in acquiring Ryan O'Reilly, here is you cautionary tale. Here is where Ryan O' Reilly would rank on the Flames last year. These stats are 5 on 5 stats and filtered per 60mins. It also only includes players who played 400mins or more

Goals - 11th. He would be behind Stajan

Total Assists - 12th. he would be behind both Brouwer and Bennett. Yes, Troy Brouwer.

1st Assists - 7th

Points/60 - 13th. He would be behind Curtis Lazar. 

I din't want to create that long a post but if you look at his things like shots, chances, rebounds created, rushes etc it's not any prettier. He really doesn't impact the game much 5 on 5 in anyway so basically a large portion of his production comes via the PP.  Now is this just Buffalo? perhaps but his numbers are also not that drastically different form Colorado to Buffalo. There is a drop but not a massive one and not enough of one to say that it's simply the talent around him.

This is not to say O'Reilly is a bad player. But you are talking about a MASSIVE amount of risk to give up the big assets you might have to and then pay him big salary to get this type of production 5 on 5. It's not a surprise at all that his name is coming up in rurmors. 

I think ROR is only slightly better than Backlund all things considered.  He's not a game breaker or anything like that.  If we can trade ROR straight up for Backlund, then i would do it.  But if it takes Hamilton or something ridiculous like that, then no way.  I wouldn't even trade Brodie or Hamonic for him and i want to trade them both.

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Rutherford in his year end press conference said that Sprong will be a regular on their club next year (sorry Cross). 

It is pretty obvious that they need to upgrade their defense and Rutherford isn't afraid to make big moves. Is there a scenario where we can get Kessel for Brodie, I would imagine we would have to add. 

I would've done a deal for Kessel from Toronto when he was younger but he's going to be 31-years-old next season.  I would only do it if they take back Brouwer.  Otherwise, i'd focus on a younger kid who is up and coming.

The guy I wonder the most about in Carolina is Lindholm. He doesn't seem to fit what dundon is trying to build there and he's starting to get stuck a bit. 

As a RS RW/C he fits in calgary. I'm not sure I see a natural deal there but I'm also not really sure what the Canes are doing but he seems like a realistic target thst could be available. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

The guy I wonder the most about in Carolina is Lindholm. He doesn't seem to fit what dundon is trying to build there and he's starting to get stuck a bit. 

As a RS RW/C he fits in calgary. I'm not sure I see a natural deal there but I'm also not really sure what the Canes are doing but he seems like a realistic target thst could be available. 

The deal that makes the most sense is Bennett for Lindholm.

Swap out LW/C depth for a RW/C player.

What that does is move Lindholm to top RW and Ferland to 3rd line.  

On the surface, those are two moves that make sense.  Ferland is a good depth player.  Lindholm could be a top RW player.

You could leave the 3M line alone and bring in Mangoapane on the 3rd line LW with Frrland on LW.

Sample lineup:

JH-Mony-Lindholm

3M

Mangiapane-Janko-Ferland

The only other deal that helps both teams is Frolik for Lindholm.  They get a vet to help bring along the kids and provide that 2-way game.  Helps if they have any interest in building a playoff team.  Value wise, it doesn;t make a lot of sense to CAR.  Lose a good young player for a 30 year old.  

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

I would really like to get Lindholm, he is a dynamic skater, has good two way acumen, he won 54% of his draws last year, he checks a lot of boxes and I think he is a player that Peters trusts. Targeting him makes a lot of sense.

Like you I have a hard time figuring out what trade would work, or what exactly it is that that team is doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The deal that makes the most sense is Bennett for Lindholm.

Swap out LW/C depth for a RW/C player.

What that does is move Lindholm to top RW and Ferland to 3rd line.  

On the surface, those are two moves that make sense.  Ferland is a good depth player.  Lindholm could be a top RW player.

You could leave the 3M line alone and bring in Mangoapane on the 3rd line LW with Frrland on LW.

Sample lineup:

JH-Mony-Lindholm

3M

Mangiapane-Janko-Ferland

The only other deal that helps both teams is Frolik for Lindholm.  They get a vet to help bring along the kids and provide that 2-way game.  Helps if they have any interest in building a playoff team.  Value wise, it doesn;t make a lot of sense to CAR.  Lose a good young player for a 30 year old.  

I don't think Bennett or Frolik straight across gets you Lindholm. I do wonder if they have interest in a goalie, as that has been their Achilles heel for quite awhile now. I don't know if Jon Gillies moves the needle for them at all, or if we send them Mike Smith and start doing our annual goaltender search.

I don't think Bennett gets you Lindholm either but i'm also still reluctant to move Bennett for someone like Lindholm. I like Lindholm, but I don't expect he's going to get here and his offense will take off. I think he is what he is, but what he is pretty solid. I still think Bennett has more to give.

I wonder what they think of Ferland. I think it's fair in terms of player for player but contract status probably leans Carolina. Ferland would fit the type of player Dundon has been describing since he's been hired. 

Tough to find a deal though because you just don't know what Carolina is after or what their plan is yet. In the past Waddell was definitely a GM that seemed to value size over skill and made more than a few questionable moves with that mandate in mind. Hard to know if he's still the same though but if he is then the Flames should be offering up guys like Stone, Lazar, Ferland etc and see what they can get. 

I mean Stone fits exactly the type of player they are publically describing. I can't for the life of me imagine a team wanting to move Lindholm for Stone but can that start a conversation?

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think Bennett gets you Lindholm either but i'm also still reluctant to move Bennett for someone like Lindholm. I like Lindholm, but I don't expect he's going to get here and his offense will take off. I think he is what he is, but what he is pretty solid. I still think Bennett has more to give.

I wonder what they think of Ferland. I think it's fair in terms of player for player but contract status probably leans Carolina. Ferland would fit the type of player Dundon has been describing since he's been hired. 

Tough to find a deal though because you just don't know what Carolina is after or what their plan is yet. In the past Waddell was definitely a GM that seemed to value size over skill and made more than a few questionable moves with that mandate in mind. Hard to know if he's still the same though but if he is then the Flames should be offering up guys like Stone, Lazar, Ferland etc and see what they can get. 

I mean Stone fits exactly the type of player they are publically describing. I can't for the life of me imagine a team wanting to move Lindholm for Stone but can that start a conversation?

Why does everyone think CAR will dismantle ? that team as a lot of good players and after sober thought Lindholm won't be going anywhere.

I keep coming back to BUF and Sam Reinhart. People will believe they won't need Brodie if they take Dahlen (which they will) however I wonder if they would consider Gilles and Mangiapane for Reinhart. Their goaltending could get thin real fast and they cold use someone like Mangiapane for LW. I would like to see a line of Bennett, Backlund and Reinhart for us.

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why does everyone think CAR will dismantle ? that team as a lot of good players and after sober thought Lindholm won't be going anywhere.

I keep coming back to BUF and Sam Reinhart. People will believe they won't need Brodie if they take Dahlen (which they will) however I wonder if they would consider Gilles and Mangiapane for Reinhart. Their goaltending could get thin real fast and they cold use someone like Mangiapane for LW. I would like to see a line of Bennett, Backlund and Reinhart for us.

I don't think anyone is making the argument Carolina will dismantle, just no one knows what they will do. New Owner and a new GM and they've already come out and basically said they plan to do things completely different that how most NHL teams operate and you've had the owner flat out say the team isn't good enough and he wants to see change. A lot of signs point to Carolina making moves, doesn't mean they are going to give players away but they seem pretty open and committed to change things up. Doesn't mean it will be Lindholm that goes.

Doesn't make sense that you would argue Buffalo would deal Reinhart and then argue Carolina won't deal Lindholm when the situations are very similar. Very likely that Carolina takes Svechnikov at number 2 in the draft and if they do then suddenly Lindholm becomes their 4th best RW or their 3rd line center. Given he already makes 2.7 and is arb eligible it makes a lot of sense to float his name in trade.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think anyone is making the argument Carolina will dismantle, just no one knows what they will do. New Owner and a new GM and they've already come out and basically said they plan to do things completely different that how most NHL teams operate and you've had the owner flat out say the team isn't good enough and he wants to see change. A lot of signs point to Carolina making moves, doesn't mean they are going to give players away but they seem pretty open and committed to change things up. Doesn't mean it will be Lindholm that goes.

Doesn't make sense that you would argue Buffalo would deal Reinhart and then argue Carolina won't deal Lindholm when the situations are very similar. Very likely that Carolina takes Svechnikov at number 2 in the draft and if they do then suddenly Lindholm becomes their 4th best RW or their 3rd line center. Given he already makes 2.7 and is arb eligible it makes a lot of sense to float his name in trade.  

The thing that gets me is that anyone here believes Bennett has much if any trade value presently to get Lindholm. Secondly I agree with you somewhat that my BUF suggestion is similar but I see BUF with some specific needs for the two players I suggested being a fit. I honestly think it will Calgary's job to turn Bennett's fortunes around using next season.

BT will need to be creative in fixing our top 2 RW positions IMO and the trade chips we have are not great nor do I think they will be perceived to have much value from down seasons.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think Bennett or Frolik straight across gets you Lindholm. I do wonder if they have interest in a goalie, as that has been their Achilles heel for quite awhile now. I don't know if Jon Gillies moves the needle for them at all, or if we send them Mike Smith and start doing our annual goaltender search.

(throws up hands about goalie searches)...

TBH, I have no idea what Bennett is worth.  Between him and Lindholm, you have similar pedigree and similar lacklustre results, with the nod going to Lindholm for points scored (more assists).  Bennett has probably played in tougher situations and seems to show up in the playoffs.  

Perhaps someone can explain why Bennett has such a low value in any trade.  Former 4th overall.  Not considered a bust.  Plays a hard game.  You can say he takes way too many penalties.  But compared to Lindholm, it's not like Lindholm is another Monahan or Draisaitl.  He's played a complementary role on a not great team.  He's put up consistent scoring (typically 11+ goals per season).  I have no doubt that Bennett could get similar points playing with Aho and Teravainen.  Or as a C for Skinner.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

The talking heads need something to fill column space as only so many can write about the playoffs. With an off the wall new owner Carolina provides fodder.

My feeling is there will be few players as only 13 are under contract & they have $26 million (& cap increase) to add players. If anything they might shed a few of the lesser lights in the pipeline to open spots to increase the signings they can do.

With the popular (with management, players & fans) & knowledgable Brindy named head coach I expect him to have a lot more input about player movement than most coachs. He knows the prospects well so sees which are ready for promotion. Drafting 2nd they'll get a good forward so Brind'Amour will have a good idea of what holes need filling via trade/UFA. They have a good base @ forward & D so (like the Flyers & Flames) are just always in search of that elusive top end masked man as last line of defense.

My guess is to add a good vet in goal as either starter or to run in tandem with Darling & hope he pulls a Helle by moving from goat in his 1st year as starter to Vezina candidate.

For years the pundits in the media have said that this is the year the Canes turn the corner. They have now turned on them for not coming through seizing the loose cannon owner moment to justify it. I'll lmao when this is the year they are finally a contender.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

(throws up hands about goalie searches)...

TBH, I have no idea what Bennett is worth.  Between him and Lindholm, you have similar pedigree and similar lacklustre results, with the nod going to Lindholm for points scored (more assists).  Bennett has probably played in tougher situations and seems to show up in the playoffs.  

Perhaps someone can explain why Bennett has such a low value in any trade.  Former 4th overall.  Not considered a bust.  Plays a hard game.  You can say he takes way too many penalties.  But compared to Lindholm, it's not like Lindholm is another Monahan or Draisaitl.  He's played a complementary role on a not great team.  He's put up consistent scoring (typically 11+ goals per season).  I have no doubt that Bennett could get similar points playing with Aho and Teravainen.  Or as a C for Skinner.

I think if we are being honest about Bennett we drafted him to be an offensive force and this hasn't been the case. You have likely noticed from my posts I don't think we should give up on him due to the other parts of his game have improved IMO. Play him with two experienced players such as Backlund and Frolik (or better) to see if he can regain a scoring touch. It isn't like he is costing us a fortune to find out.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

The talking heads need something to fill column space as only so many can write about the playoffs. With an off the wall new owner Carolina provides fodder.

My feeling is there will be few players as only 13 are under contract & they have $26 million (& cap increase) to add players. If anything they might shed a few of the lesser lights in the pipeline to open spots to increase the signings they can do.

With the popular (with management, players & fans) & knowledgable Brindy named head coach I expect him to have a lot more input about player movement than most coachs. He knows the prospects well so sees which are ready for promotion. Drafting 2nd they'll get a good forward so Brind'Amour will have a good idea of what holes need filling via trade/UFA. They have a good base @ forward & D so (like the Flyers & Flames) are just always in search of that elusive top end masked man as last line of defense.

My guess is to add a good vet in goal as either starter or to run in tandem with Darling & hope he pulls a Helle by moving from goat in his 1st year as starter to Vezina candidate.

For years the pundits in the media have said that this is the year the Canes turn the corner. They have now turned on them for not coming through seizing the loose cannon owner moment to justify it. I'll lmao when this is the year they are finally a contender.

I have a feeling this new owner will make a mess of things there in CAR.

8 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

What do you think it take to get this pair out of Boston.

Solidify RW and G backup

Riley Nash

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/riley-nash

Anton Khudobin

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anton-khudobin

Nothing. They are both UFA. All they cost are $s.

Nash isn't moving to Calgary (or anywhere else in the west) unless overpaid. He's spent his career in the east & since his years in the league have left him finacially set for life he doesn't need the long road trips nor being hit hard.

Not sure why you'd want Khudobin as even backup. We need to use what we have in that spot to give them big league experience. My guess is Khudibin is playing in some Euro league next year as he runs out the string.

10 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Nothing. They are both UFA. All they cost are $s.

Nash isn't moving to Calgary (or anywhere else in the west) unless overpaid. He's spent his career in the east & since his years in the league have left him finacially set for life he doesn't need the long road trips nor being hit hard.

Not sure why you'd want Khudobin as even backup. We need to use what we have in that spot to give them big league experience. My guess is Khudibin is playing in some Euro league next year as he runs out the string.

I think youre referring to Rick Nash...but you're still right, Riley is a UFA too :) 

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think youre referring to Rick Nash...but you're still right, Riley is a UFA too :) 

You are correct. Thanks. The other R Nash didn't even enter my thoughts. :)

In his case it's a matter of why even bother with Riley Nash. Flames have no need for yet another 4th line RW as those we have in the AHL.

******************************************************************************************************************

I'm not digging back through the thread to quote someone but more than a few seemed to have a TML/Habs fan type pipedream of landing Tavares. If we remember the word realistic in the thread title we know that it's not happening.

Something that is possible is Paul Stastny as UFA. Watching him with Laine & Elhers during the few regular season months & playoffs I started to wonder about him centering some combination of Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk/Bennett or another young winger. Sooner or later either Monahan (centers seem to adjust to wing best even if off  wing) or 1 of the LWs will have to move to RW.