Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

You are correct. Thanks. The other R Nash didn't even enter my thoughts. :)

In his case it's a matter of why even bother with Riley Nash. Flames have no need for yet another 4th line RW as those we have in the AHL.

******************************************************************************************************************

I'm not digging back through the thread to quote someone but more than a few seemed to have a TML/Habs fan type pipedream of landing Tavares. If we remember the word realistic in the thread title we know that it's not happening.

Something that is possible is Paul Stastny as UFA. Watching him with Laine & Elhers during the few regular season months & playoffs I started to wonder about him centering some combination of Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk/Bennett or another young winger. Sooner or later either Monahan (centers seem to adjust to wing best even if off  wing) or 1 of the LWs will have to move to RW.

 

This thread is about realistic trades.  The thoughts of landing Tavares is something that leads to realistic trades.  Two separate concepts.  Most probably thought that Tavares is a possible, likely improbable, target - and the trades needed or that make sense if he's landed.  Long winded, but probably is true of most.

 

If we are talking about UFA targets, then yes Statsny is an interesting target.  I doubt WPG lets him go, but who knows.  He will cost a lot of coin.  He was up to $7.5m actual this year.  Someone will offer him term and dollars.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Why does everyone think CAR will dismantle ? that team as a lot of good players and after sober thought Lindholm won't be going anywhere.

 

Because they haven't been in the playoffs in forever.  New GM so likely urgency to get results quick.

 

I like Lindholm.  I think he gets us a young Kris Versteeg and could mesh well on the top line.  I would offer Ferland and start conversations there.

 

I feel the Flames should try,

Gaudreau - Jankowski - Lindholm

Bennett - Monahan - Tkachuk

Whoever - Backlund - Frolik

 

But of course, try to get Tavares too.  We have to try at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Because they haven't been in the playoffs in forever.  New GM so likely urgency to get results quick.

 

I like Lindholm.  I think he gets us a young Kris Versteeg and could mesh well on the top line.  I would offer Ferland and start conversations there.

 

I feel the Flames should try,

Gaudreau - Jankowski - Lindholm

Bennett - Monahan - Tkachuk

Whoever - Backlund - Frolik

 

But of course, try to get Tavares too.  We have to try at least.

Seems like the first time I've seen Ferland as trade fodder, I've been thinking it for a while.

His value may never be higher than right now.

I haven't seen Lindholm much of at all personally, I've only really read the files.

 

With Tkachuk being able to just walk right in and flourish, not sure how if meant, "Whoever" as in doesn't matter...*disclaimer*

If Tkachuk comes off that line, I'm totally going back to the well with Mangiapane, or a better LW prospect we'd have to trade for.

It's worked, let's try another student.

 

edit

Forgot to mention, is that an all OHL line?

Looks formidable to me. Tkachuk's quite a passer. Mony's quite the finsher, Bennett's quite the...well, let's find out.

THAT would be a hard line to play against.

Would give Mony more space to score imho.

Bennett-Tkachuk together, terrorists, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Because they haven't been in the playoffs in forever.  New GM so likely urgency to get results quick.

 

I like Lindholm.  I think he gets us a young Kris Versteeg and could mesh well on the top line.  I would offer Ferland and start conversations there.

 

I feel the Flames should try,

Gaudreau - Jankowski - Lindholm

Bennett - Monahan - Tkachuk

Whoever - Backlund - Frolik

 

But of course, try to get Tavares too.  We have to try at least.

I definitely like the idea of trying some different combos, and depending on BT/Peters discussions and whatever trades BT is able to pull off, we may be primed to do so come Fall.  With the team going to China with mostly vets, AND having a new coaching staff I'm not sure if its more, or less likely with the Flames.  Probably they'll only bring ~25 or so players so there will be opportunity for line experiments but they will likely have pretty much decided the who beforehand. 

 

Since it seems that teams have a tendency to trade with those they know, I would be especially looking at Arizona and Carolina with our current management, plus whatever additional team ties are made with the assistants that eventually get hired, and possibly with other teams that land GG...  I think there will be lots of UFA options as well this summer so it likely will be very busy, with the only damper on that if BT feels we don't need to trade away too many guys.  Now that we're only about a month away from mid-June it should start picking up shortly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Seems like the first time I've seen Ferland as trade fodder, I've been thinking it for a while.

His value may never be higher than right now.

I haven't seen Lindholm much of at all personally, I've only really read the files.

 

With Tkachuk being able to just walk right in and flourish, not sure how if meant, "Whoever" as in doesn't matter...*disclaimer*

If Tkachuk comes off that line, I'm totally going back to the well with Mangiapane, or a better LW prospect we'd have to trade for.

It's worked, let's try another student.

 

edit

Forgot to mention, is that an all OHL line?

Looks formidable to me. Tkachuk's quite a passer. Mony's quite the finsher, Bennett's quite the...well, let's find out.

THAT would be a hard line to play against.

Would give Mony more space to score imho.

Bennett-Tkachuk together, terrorists, lol.

I think a lot forget that this team as been building towards creating a winner. When I see trade suggestions to trade away young successful players it makes me shake my head. Hamilton is a defenseman we need more than any other team and to trade him for a marginal difference in scoring results makes no sense. Ferland has done everything this team has asked of him while achieving good results. A thing to keep in mind when trading is the net effect from the subtracting and adding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

I definitely like the idea of trying some different combos, and depending on BT/Peters discussions and whatever trades BT is able to pull off, we may be primed to do so come Fall.  With the team going to China with mostly vets, AND having a new coaching staff I'm not sure if its more, or less likely with the Flames.  Probably they'll only bring ~25 or so players so there will be opportunity for line experiments but they will likely have pretty much decided the who beforehand. 

 

Since it seems that teams have a tendency to trade with those they know, I would be especially looking at Arizona and Carolina with our current management, plus whatever additional team ties are made with the assistants that eventually get hired, and possibly with other teams that land GG...  I think there will be lots of UFA options as well this summer so it likely will be very busy, with the only damper on that if BT feels we don't need to trade away too many guys.  Now that we're only about a month away from mid-June it should start picking up shortly.  

We need BP to come in with an open mind but if he wants a faster game he will need to apply certain elements to each line. I have said this along with others that it all starts with landing a suitable top line RW because we don't have that player now. If BP goes back to trying Bennett as a C this also effects how others will line up. Moving Tkachuk off the 3M line will cause changes. I think we need 2 RW players from outside the organization in order to have the strongest possible line up next season. How does BT achieve this ?

Gaudreau, Monahan, ???????????

Bennett, Backlund, ????????????

Tkachuk, Jankowski, Frolik

Ferland, Shore, Lazar

DEFENSE

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Andersson

Kulak, Hamonic

GOALIES

Smith, Rittich

If no one is brought in we likely see Ferland back with JG and SM. Frolik goes back with MB and SB while they try Foo with MT and MJ. Nothing terribly wrong with this other than it doesn't hold much marked improvement with personel. It wouldn't bother me to stay with this roster for another season if the right moves couldn't be made however I hope BT can achieve obtaining at least one RW upgrade for us. If this means using Brodie I hope he gets us someone more defensive minded to play with Andersson.

Stone and Brouwer gotta go IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LVK could use a puck moving defenseman next season, would a Brodie for Alex Tuch be a possibility ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Seems like the first time I've seen Ferland as trade fodder, I've been thinking it for a while.

His value may never be higher than right now.

I haven't seen Lindholm much of at all personally, I've only really read the files.

 

With Tkachuk being able to just walk right in and flourish, not sure how if meant, "Whoever" as in doesn't matter...*disclaimer*

If Tkachuk comes off that line, I'm totally going back to the well with Mangiapane, or a better LW prospect we'd have to trade for.

It's worked, let's try another student.

 

edit

Forgot to mention, is that an all OHL line?

Looks formidable to me. Tkachuk's quite a passer. Mony's quite the finsher, Bennett's quite the...well, let's find out.

THAT would be a hard line to play against.

Would give Mony more space to score imho.

Bennett-Tkachuk together, terrorists, lol.

 

I wonder what Monahan with Bennett would be like.  Monahan is a finisher.  Tkachuk is a setup/boards/netfront guy.  Bennett is bull-in-the-china-shop type.  Would that take away from Monahan's ability to snipe?  Just thinking out loud.

 

Let's say for sake of argument that we traded Bennett, somehow got Lindholm, and graduated Mangiapane.

We could set up lines a number of ways.

First thought:

JH-Monahan-Lindholm     Gives us the luxury of a RHS on the top line for faceoffs and RW.

Ferland-Backlund-Frolik    Gives us a new 3M line, but we don't lose the toughness on the boards.

Mangiapane-Janko-Tkachuk    Gives us a new threat line. 

 

Second thought:

JH-Janko-Lindholm      Same as above, but Janko's backchecking is pretty good to keep them + in games.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Ferland   Ferland stays with Monahan and adds Tkachuk for the nastiness and in-your-face stuff.

Mangiapane-Backlund-Frolik   Speedy and smart.  Mangiapane can finish Backlund's passes.

 

If you traded Ferland, then Bennett fits in where he was.  I just don't see Ferland's trade value being high enough to get Lindholm without paying through the nose.  Same may be true of using Bennett, but it just seems that guys like Ferland don't get you enough in return (example Maroon trade).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

I wonder what Monahan with Bennett would be like.  Monahan is a finisher.  Tkachuk is a setup/boards/netfront guy.  Bennett is bull-in-the-china-shop type.  Would that take away from Monahan's ability to snipe?  Just thinking out loud.

 

Let's say for sake of argument that we traded Bennett, somehow got Lindholm, and graduated Mangiapane.

We could set up lines a number of ways.

First thought:

JH-Monahan-Lindholm     Gives us the luxury of a RHS on the top line for faceoffs and RW.

Ferland-Backlund-Frolik    Gives us a new 3M line, but we don't lose the toughness on the boards.

Mangiapane-Janko-Tkachuk    Gives us a new threat line. 

 

Second thought:

JH-Janko-Lindholm      Same as above, but Janko's backchecking is pretty good to keep them + in games.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Ferland   Ferland stays with Monahan and adds Tkachuk for the nastiness and in-your-face stuff.

Mangiapane-Backlund-Frolik   Speedy and smart.  Mangiapane can finish Backlund's passes.

 

If you traded Ferland, then Bennett fits in where he was.  I just don't see Ferland's trade value being high enough to get Lindholm without paying through the nose.  Same may be true of using Bennett, but it just seems that guys like Ferland don't get you enough in return (example Maroon trade).

I think at this stage if there is an equivalent RW to Bennett or better such as Lindholm BT should do that deal. The reason I say this is only because we have viable answers for LW. I would leave Monahan with Gaudreau not only because it works but you need the speed on that line. I would avoid having Monahan and Tkachuk together if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Seems like the first time I've seen Ferland as trade fodder, I've been thinking it for a while.

His value may never be higher than right now.

I haven't seen Lindholm much of at all personally, I've only really read the files.

 

With Tkachuk being able to just walk right in and flourish, not sure how if meant, "Whoever" as in doesn't matter...*disclaimer*

If Tkachuk comes off that line, I'm totally going back to the well with Mangiapane, or a better LW prospect we'd have to trade for.

It's worked, let's try another student.

 

edit

Forgot to mention, is that an all OHL line?

Looks formidable to me. Tkachuk's quite a passer. Mony's quite the finsher, Bennett's quite the...well, let's find out.

THAT would be a hard line to play against.

Would give Mony more space to score imho.

Bennett-Tkachuk together, terrorists, lol.

 

If we are going to acquire someone to replace Ferland on first line RW, then why not put Ferland in the deal?  He is at his peak value as you've mentioned.  You can't get anyone good if you aren't willing to give up someone good.

 

A few things about Ferland. 

1. He's concussion prone.  One more minor bump to the head and his career is over.  He's damaged goods that we should be lucky to swap for someone healthier (albiet, Lindholm is injury prone too).

2. He can do it all but he can't do it all, all the time.  He's not as complete as some fans seems to think he is.

 

Yes that's an OHL line that I stole from you and I'm not giving it back.  No matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

If we are going to acquire someone to replace Ferland on first line RW, then why not put Ferland in the deal?  He is at his peak value as you've mentioned.  You can't get anyone good if you aren't willing to give up someone good.

 

A few things about Ferland. 

1. He's concussion prone.  One more minor bump to the head and his career is over.  He's damaged goods that we should be lucky to swap for someone healthier (albiet, Lindholm is injury prone too).

2. He can do it all but he can't do it all, all the time.  He's not as complete as some fans seems to think he is.

 

Yes that's an OHL line that I stole from you and I'm not giving it back.  No matter what.

If we know that about Ferland other teams will as well so where does that leave you ? Ferland may very well be one of those players that has a short NHL existence but I would like to keep him around but used differently. I am with phoenix in that Brodie should be the one traded if he can get us a solid RW-RHS. Brodie could benefit from a change of scenery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

If we know that about Ferland other teams will as well so where does that leave you ? Ferland may very well be one of those players that has a short NHL existence but I would like to keep him around but used differently. I am with phoenix in that Brodie should be the one traded if he can get us a solid RW-RHS. Brodie could benefit from a change of scenery.

In the trade an “excess” D for a RW thinking, would not Brodie the best skating D we have be better for the “fast, aggressive style” Peters may be looking at, versus say, Hamilton?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

In the trade an “excess” D for a RW thinking, would not Brodie the best skating D we have be better for the “fast, aggressive style” Peters may be looking at, versus say, Hamilton?  

To be honest I have found Brodie hard to take for the last 3 seasons. He is indecisive on offense and reckless/ineffective on defense. I think he needs a change and so do we if we want to be better on defense (which we need to be). Hamilton may not look fast but he covers a lot of ice with his strides and he has gotten better to turn and get back. I see Hamilton with room to improve but Brodie is what he has become. I think for a 5th round pick and how many seasons we have gotten our money's worth out of Brodie. Now to trade him for a top 6 forward everyone should be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may get a little long winded, but I will try to stay concise and brief. I am going to do my best to think like management rather than a fan in assessing the Flames and their needs: 

 

Positions based on roster page, not where they were used during the season

 

LW

 

Gaudreau     L    6.75

Tkachuk       L    1.775

Ferland         L    1.75

Glass            L    UFA

Hrivik            L    RFA

Mangiapane L  

Lomberg       L

Klimchuk       L    RFA

Kaurnakhov  L

Poirier           L    RFA

Pollock          L    RFA

Sveningsson L

Elson             L     RFA

Gazdic          L       UFA

 

C

 

Monahan        L    6.5

Backlund        L    5.5

Bennett          L    1.95

Jankowski      L     RFA

Lazar              R     0.95

Shore             R     RFA

Stajan             L     UFA

Shinkaruk        L      RFA

Dube              L

Lindstrom        L

Mattson          L

Phillips            R

Ruzicka           L

 

RW

 

Brouwer      R      4.5

Foo              R   1.775

Frolik            L    4.3

Hathaway     R     RFA

Stewart         R     UFA

Versteeg       R     UFA

Pribyl            R    RFA

Carroll           R    RFA

Fischer          R

Joly               L

Smith            R    RFA

Tuulola          R

 

LSD

 

Giordano          6.75

Brodie              4.65

Kulak                 RFA

Bartkowski        UFA

Kylington           .7425

Ollas-Mattsson

Rafikov

Valimaki

Wotherspoon        RFA

Healey

 

RSD

 

Hamilton            5.75

Hamonic           3.857

Stone                 3.5

Andersson        0.7425

Fox

Goloubef             UFA

Prout                    UFA

 

G

 

Smith             4.25

Rittich             RFA

Gilles              RFA

McDonald

Parsons

Scheider

 

 

Based on quantities strictly based on signed players at listed roster spots, without making any moves, there are: (at least most of a season NHL experience)

3 LW spots taken

4 Center spots taken

2 RW spots taken

2 LSD spots taken

3 RSD spots taken

1 G spot taken

 

Re-signing / bringing up players / moving players to different positions / trades / signing free agents will obviously move numbers but basically the Flames need to add to the roster 

 

1 LW

2 RW

2 spare forwards

1 LSD

1 Spare D

1 G

 

The question becomes how they accomplish those moves. 

 

Re-signing Jankowski makes an overstock at C, not a bad thing. Re-signing Shore who was just traded for increases that C surplus. Players need to be shuffled around position wise or traded to make this work unless you want both back up forwards to be C's. 

 

Without Shuffling positions, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Ferland is a rather nice top 3 LW. Lomberg would make a good 4th liner imo and would be an easy move to fill out LW.

 

RW is rather makeshift as Frolik is very good as a 2 or 3 RW. Foo COULD be better than Frolik but still too early to tell. Could likely use sheltered 3rd line minutes to round out his game. Brouwer is overpaid for what he brings which is 3rd line play. If it is possible, you move Brouwer, put Frolik and Foo as the middle lines and find a new top line RW and figure out what to do with the 4th line. Hathaway is a possibility or bring in someone new. May shuffle Lazar to the wing.

 

D is not badly set except that Brodie has been in decline the last couple of years and his defence is not nearly at the level of his offence. The right side is reasonably handled as Stone can play up if need be. By all accounts Brodie prefers the right side and Andersson is ready to make the jump to the NHL which puts a real log jam on the right side. That leaves only Giordano signed on the left side with experience and confort playing there. If Brodie can't adjust to the left, and we want to make more space on the right for Andersson, we are likely looking to move D and bring others in. My preference would be to move Brodie and Stone as they should both bring decent returns, not because I dislike the players. Packaging them in 1 deal together or separate deals should bring back someone better suited for left D who may be better at left D while opening a roster spot for Andersson.

 

In net, the Flames basically need to make a choice. Looking at the Heat roster, they are plenty fine in net so having both Rittich and Gilles RFA is both a conundrum and an opportunity. I don't think the Flames have the roster space to keep both, nor should they. The other 3 younger goalies are needing to fight for those spots, plus they have AHL contract goalies to fill in as needed. Trading RFA rights may not be the best way to go, and may not get great return, but another team might want to take a chance, particularly on Rittich. I would rather re-sign Rittich as he has shown to be a decent back up but Gilles may not bring enough return this season. Difficult to say. Could one be used either alone in packaged to get someone like Christian Fischer (RFA, RW, 6'2, 214 RS) out of the Coyotes? Goldobin out of Vancouver (Wotherspoon is a Burnaby boy, just saying).

 

I am still a fan of the numbers put up by Patrik Nemeth. He is not a monster on offence, but solid on D. As an RFA, the Flames have enough RFA's of their own to maybe swap rights for him and sign to a good contract as a bottom / mid pair LD.  

 

I don't know who I would want to fill the RD on top line. I would prefer to see a longer term fix. Someone youngish who will grow with Johnny and Monny. 

 

Are Kylington or Valimaki ready to jump straight to the big club or should someone else be brought in?

 

The pieces I believe that the Flames should put in play are Brodie, Brouwer, Stone, Wotherspoon (rights), Kulak(rights), Gilles (rights), Fox (rights), Klimchuk (rights), Shinkaruk (rights), Poirier (rights) and other prospects not likely to fit in the lineup near future. 

 

These are just my thoughts. I don't see any monster trades, but some smaller ones could work for the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Not often enough.

Great post, as usual.

Nothing in that long winded post that hasn't been tossed around already ?

Here is a monster trade to consider, Giordano and Mangiapane to TOR for Gardiner LSD, Kapanen RW, Leivo RW. If TOR doesn't sign back any of their UFAs they will need some additional leadership on that team. Marleau on the front end and Giordano on the back end could be seen as a real plus there. Gardiner gets a fresh opportunity here and gives Valimaki a season in the A to develop. Kapanen and Leivo fill our RW needs while Foo and Gawdin get another season of development in the A. Our depth will see a real boost and the voice of leadership changes to the new core group. Hate to see Giordano go but now could be the perfect time so his money can be put to better use eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mac, while much has been discussed, it is often disjointed on here. People look to fix issues via trade in a microcosm being that they don’t look at the big picture. 

 

By laying out the whats and wheres of each player, prospect and at least some contract stuff, it is easier to look at the bigger picture for moves that help without hindering or secondary moves that work directly to fill gaps.

 

As for new material, I don’t recall others suggesting Christian Fischer from the ‘yotes (could be wrong) or Goldobin from the ‘nucks. Fischer had 15 goals this year.

 

I guess I like things organized, and if it helps people to make suggestions that are more reasonable and more complete, then the time taken to make the long post was worth it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

Mac, while much has been discussed, it is often disjointed on here. People look to fix issues via trade in a microcosm being that they don’t look at the big picture. 

 

By laying out the whats and wheres of each player, prospect and at least some contract stuff, it is easier to look at the bigger picture for moves that help without hindering or secondary moves that work directly to fill gaps.

 

As for new material, I don’t recall others suggesting Christian Fischer from the ‘yotes (could be wrong) or Goldobin from the ‘nucks. Fischer had 15 goals this year.

 

I guess I like things organized, and if it helps people to make suggestions that are more reasonable and more complete, then the time taken to make the long post was worth it.

Definitely like the Fischer idea, very good player but likely hard to pry out of the 'yotes.

Goldobin looks like he's coming into form as well, not sure how high Van is on him, but seems like SJ let him go prematurely.

Would Brodie and Stone be realistic to get those deals done? Then there would be the little matter of replacing Brodie's minutes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Definitely like the Fischer idea, very good player but likely hard to pry out of the 'yotes.

Goldobin looks like he's coming into form as well, not sure how high Van is on him, but seems like SJ let him go prematurely.

Would Brodie and Stone be realistic to get those deals done? Then there would be the little matter of replacing Brodie's minutes.

 

 

Of the two, I would be a little more interested in Fischer because I don;t know what the Nucks are doing now.  Goldobin may be needed just to fill out a roster now.

I like the size of Fischer.  Seems like a big guy that could help in the top 9.  We don't have anyone like that except maybe Ferland.  

 

Here's a crazy idea for a hockey trade.

Brodie + Bennett for Fischer and OEL.

Individually, neither player for plater deal makes sense, but combined?

Really what this does is help ARI manage their salary in two years time.

OEL will be commanding a lot more than they want to pay, assuming he even wants to play there.

Brodie give them another year at cost certainty.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Of the two, I would be a little more interested in Fischer because I don;t know what the Nucks are doing now.  Goldobin may be needed just to fill out a roster now.

I like the size of Fischer.  Seems like a big guy that could help in the top 9.  We don't have anyone like that except maybe Ferland.  

 

Here's a crazy idea for a hockey trade.

Brodie + Bennett for Fischer and OEL.

Individually, neither player for plater deal makes sense, but combined?

Really what this does is help ARI manage their salary in two years time.

OEL will be commanding a lot more than they want to pay, assuming he even wants to play there.

Brodie give them another year at cost certainty.

 

Wouldn't that be like asking us to trade away Hamilton same amount of points and close to the same age just 2 yrs ? You think they would actually do that ? would be great but can't see them going for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Of the two, I would be a little more interested in Fischer because I don;t know what the Nucks are doing now.  Goldobin may be needed just to fill out a roster now.

I like the size of Fischer.  Seems like a big guy that could help in the top 9.  We don't have anyone like that except maybe Ferland.  

 

Here's a crazy idea for a hockey trade.

Brodie + Bennett for Fischer and OEL.

Individually, neither player for plater deal makes sense, but combined?

Really what this does is help ARI manage their salary in two years time.

OEL will be commanding a lot more than they want to pay, assuming he even wants to play there.

Brodie give them another year at cost certainty.

 

I don't think it is a crazy idea at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Of the two, I would be a little more interested in Fischer because I don;t know what the Nucks are doing now.  Goldobin may be needed just to fill out a roster now.

I like the size of Fischer.  Seems like a big guy that could help in the top 9.  We don't have anyone like that except maybe Ferland.  

 

Here's a crazy idea for a hockey trade.

Brodie + Bennett for Fischer and OEL.

Individually, neither player for plater deal makes sense, but combined?

Really what this does is help ARI manage their salary in two years time.

OEL will be commanding a lot more than they want to pay, assuming he even wants to play there.

Brodie give them another year at cost certainty.

 

I'd take Chychrun over OEL personally.

I figure he will be the better full spectrum dman, personally.

I can only imagine what Chychrun could become under Gio/Hamonic mentoring.

 

I doubt Brodie and Bennett take 2 of their top futures though.

If I'm ARI, I'm prolly not even listening if it doesn't start with Hamilton/Backlund.

Gotta give to get.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd take Chychrun over OEL personally.

I figure he will be the better full spectrum dman, personally.

I can only imagine what Chychrun could become under Gio/Hamonic mentoring.

 

I doubt Brodie and Bennett take 2 of their top futures though.

If I'm ARI, I'm prolly not even listening if it doesn't start with Hamilton/Backlund.

Gotta give to get.

Personally I don't think either of ARZ or VAN will be listening to any deal for their young up and comers. There will always be malcontents and players that are not working but I can't see them trading players they are counting on eventually. OEL should get them the same kind of deal we paid for Hamilton or Hamonic a 1st and 2-2nds by some team. I see nobody bit on my Giordano to TOR idea so I wonder if Brodie and Stone would get us Gardiner LSD, Kapanen RHS-RW and Leivo RHS-RW ? We keep the old man LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd take Chychrun over OEL personally.

I figure he will be the better full spectrum dman, personally.

I can only imagine what Chychrun could become under Gio/Hamonic mentoring.

 

I doubt Brodie and Bennett take 2 of their top futures though.

If I'm ARI, I'm prolly not even listening if it doesn't start with Hamilton/Backlund.

Gotta give to get.

 

I wouldn;t even bother asking for Chychrun.  To me that would be asking for Valimaki.

 

The OEL part of the trade makes sense for them because of his increasing actual salary that will need a new deal in one year.

$7m actual this year.  You have to think he will want an addition $1-2m at least on him next deal.

For a team that has trouble with paying their way in the NHL, they probably would want to get rid of that salary.

They are young and exciting.  They seem to prefer to be a budget team.

 

OEL has great value.  Brodie has value that we don't recognize.  Imagine him with Chychrun on the top pair.  Or he subs in with Schenn on LD.

 

Okay, so just starting a conversation.  We really have no idea of the trade talks the two teams have had, if any.  Considering the trade history, you would think they have had some discussions.  Are the values close?  Probably not, but I don;t think Dougie/Backlund is close the other way.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Personally I don't think either of ARZ or VAN will be listening to any deal for their young up and comers. There will always be malcontents and players that are not working but I can't see them trading players they are counting on eventually. OEL should get them the same kind of deal we paid for Hamilton or Hamonic a 1st and 2-2nds by some team. I see nobody bit on my Giordano to TOR idea so I wonder if Brodie and Stone would get us Gardiner LSD, Kapanen RHS-RW and Leivo RHS-RW ? We keep the old man LOL.

Gio can retire a Flames, as far as I'm concerned.

He's a very special player from the school of hard knocks.

One of the league's top D, imho.

Worth more than most everybody on our roster rn.

Including the Hams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...