The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

17 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Personally I don't think either of ARZ or VAN will be listening to any deal for their young up and comers. There will always be malcontents and players that are not working but I can't see them trading players they are counting on eventually. OEL should get them the same kind of deal we paid for Hamilton or Hamonic a 1st and 2-2nds by some team. I see nobody bit on my Giordano to TOR idea so I wonder if Brodie and Stone would get us Gardiner LSD, Kapanen RHS-RW and Leivo RHS-RW ? We keep the old man LOL.

What's with your love for Leafs players?

Gardiner, really? I'm pretty sure he's played for all 31 teams, all in a Leafs jersey.:lol:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What's with your love for Leafs players?

Gardiner, really? I'm pretty sure he's played for all 31 teams, all in a Leafs jersey.:lol:

Simple deal, they have a run of good RWs and we need some for our team. if Brodie goes we need a LHS-LD at least until Valimaki proves himself. There is no love just need to look for situations that could work for both teams.

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Simple deal, they have a run of good RWs and we need some for our team. if Brodie goes we need a LHS-LD at least until Valimaki proves himself. There is no love just need to look for situations that could work for both teams.

So you had Brodie and Bennett for them? 

How much of a downgrade is Gardiner from Brodie? Same-ish? 

On 5/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, cross16 said:

If anyone is interested in acquiring Ryan O'Reilly, here is you cautionary tale. Here is where Ryan O' Reilly would rank on the Flames last year. These stats are 5 on 5 stats and filtered per 60mins. It also only includes players who played 400mins or more

Goals - 11th. He would be behind Stajan

Total Assists - 12th. he would be behind both Brouwer and Bennett. Yes, Troy Brouwer.

1st Assists - 7th

Points/60 - 13th. He would be behind Curtis Lazar. 

I din't want to create that long a post but if you look at his things like shots, chances, rebounds created, rushes etc it's not any prettier. He really doesn't impact the game much 5 on 5 in anyway so basically a large portion of his production comes via the PP.  Now is this just Buffalo? perhaps but his numbers are also not that drastically different form Colorado to Buffalo. There is a drop but not a massive one and not enough of one to say that it's simply the talent around him.

This is not to say O'Reilly is a bad player. But you are talking about a MASSIVE amount of risk to give up the big assets you might have to and then pay him big salary to get this type of production 5 on 5. It's not a surprise at all that his name is coming up in rurmors. 

What are you talking about

Ryan Orielly had 24 goals and 37 assists for a total of 61 points during the regular season.

c35f47c1f3d304596715afb7a619f8b3.png

ce374552a8805ab0585546de88ef1f7c.png
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20172018&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=faceoffWinPctg

24 goals puts him tied for 2nd on Flames with JH  and Chucky, not behind Matt Stajan who only had 4.

37 assists puts him 2nd on Flames above Money and only behind JH.

bc7cf46437560053753fdd8bebc3c0e8.png

You failed to mention his faceoff win % is 60%...... let that sink in a bit...

Shame on you Cross for your misinformation..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

So you had Brodie and Bennett for them? 

How much of a downgrade is Gardiner from Brodie? Same-ish? 

I would say same-ish yeah but maybe a change of scenery does them both some good. I think you would always be able to trade Gardiner if required. It is the 2 RWers I have the most interest in.

27 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Ryan Orielly had 24 goals and 37 assists for a total of 61 points during the regular season.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20172018&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=faceoffWinPctg

24 goals puts him tied for 2nd on Flames with JH  and Chucky, not behind Matt Stajan who only had 4.

He was talking about 5 on 5.  I can't be bothered looking up respective 5v5 stats, but ROR had 15 PP goals and 8 PP assists.

That leaves 15 g and 29a in all other situations.

The comps to Flames players seem wrong. 

I personally like ROR for a lot of reasons.

Comparing him to Brouwer in the same paragraph is insulting.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He was talking about 5 on 5.  I can't be bothered looking up respective 5v5 stats, but ROR had 15 PP goals and 8 PP assists.

That leaves 15 g and 29a in all other situations.

The comps to Flames players seem wrong. 

I personally like ROR for a lot of reasons.

Comparing him to Brouwer in the same paragraph is insulting.

5 on 5 or not our need is mostly on PP. If most of RoR's production came on PP's and special teams then he is even a better fit.

3 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

5 on 5 or not our need is mostly on PP. If most of RoR's production came on PP's and special teams then he is even a better fit.

I don't care where and when he scored myself.  We could use scoring in general.

If the price was right, it would make sense.

Not even a remote possibility I'd want ROR at $7.5 for another 5 years.

I just can't see that being money well spent.

Does anybody see Buffalo getting better any time soon?

That roster and farm is atrocious.

Poor Ristolainen, one of the best young dmen no one will notice stuck in that perennial tire fire.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MAC331 said:

If you think Brodie makes mental errors, you ain't seen nothin' until Jake Gardiner's on your roster.

More like total mental collapse. Not a dman I'd want on a team I like, he can be a total mess.

$4mil per for that?:lol:

He's an adventure, I'll give him that much.

Id personally go all in on ROR. He makes a lot of sense for this club.

Only issue is what the cost would be, and would buffalo retain any salary?

ROR, Mony, and backs is a pretty solid top 3. Doubtful, but add in tavares and trade mony for a top RW...wow does this team look different.

39 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Id personally go all in on ROR. He makes a lot of sense for this club.

Only issue is what the cost would be, and would buffalo retain any salary?

ROR, Mony, and backs is a pretty solid top 3. Doubtful, but add in tavares and trade mony for a top RW...wow does this team look different.

So now Buffalo would retain salary?

This is getting expensive, one way or the other.

No thanks.

Didn't he just play the "losing culture" card to the media?

Is this the same guy that bought his way out of Colorado because he's all about the money?

I'm in the, "let him choke on it" camp.

Now he's whining about "losing culture".

What's next?

He should maybe come to recognize Buffalo overpaid him to help lose the "losing culture".

Nope.

Suck it up, buttercup.

Put me on the camp that thinks O'reilly would be a great fit here. Our inability to put out two defensively solid lines, or 3 lines 5 on 5, was a killer last season. 

Being able to put out a combo of Monahan/Gaudreau, O'reilly/Tkachuk, and Backlund/Frolik would make us much better. If Jankowski lights up you can always move O'reilly to the wing. It also adds overall speed to the team and gives us options on the PP. 

I don't love his salary but he is 27 and it isn't a killer. If Bennett and Brodie got it done it would definitely be considering it. I also wonder if you could include Brouwer to even out the salary a bit. 

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

If you think Brodie makes mental errors, you ain't seen nothin' until Jake Gardiner's on your roster.

More like total mental collapse. Not a dman I'd want on a team I like, he can be a total mess.

$4mil per for that?:lol:

He's an adventure, I'll give him that much.

I wouldn't dispute that but like I said sometimes a change can have a good effect. I have some ideas for the "fixing this team" thread.

18 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I wouldn't dispute that but like I said sometimes a change can have a good effect. I have some ideas for the "fixing this team" thread.

I think he fits TO because they can afford a lot of goals against.

That and Andersson saves their bacon.

He's more offensive than Brodie, so there's that.

A big pass from me.  He was as much the reason for TO playoff end than anything else.

How about they just keep Gardiner.  Stone for Kapanen.  

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he fits TO because they can afford a lot of goals against.

That and Andersson saves their bacon.

He's more offensive than Brodie, so there's that.

A big pass from me.  He was as much the reason for TO playoff end than anything else.

How about they just keep Gardiner.  Stone for Kapanen.  

Stone for Kapanen in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kehatch said:

Put me on the camp that thinks O'reilly would be a great fit here. Our inability to put out two defensively solid lines, or 3 lines 5 on 5, was a killer last season. 

Being able to put out a combo of Monahan/Gaudreau, O'reilly/Tkachuk, and Backlund/Frolik would make us much better. If Jankowski lights up you can always move O'reilly to the wing. It also adds overall speed to the team and gives us options on the PP. 

I don't love his salary but he is 27 and it isn't a killer. If Bennett and Brodie got it done it would definitely be considering it. I also wonder if you could include Brouwer to even out the salary a bit. 

ROR for Brodie and Bennett would makes us slower for sure. Brouwer waiving his NTC to go to the Sabres, can't see it.

I understand how you're closing off another pairing, and I'm okay with that. But ROR isn't a great skater, nor is Tkachuk.

With a lesser deal we could likely get Dvorak back with Tkachuk. Good young responsible C.

Then I'd go shopping in St. Louis. They have more RW/RS than they'll be able to fit.

Then what's left undone we have cash for UFA.

I'm of the mind that the best way to get faster is to get younger.

We seem to keep dwelling on these huge adds, I don't think it's that difficult.

But I keep having this nightmare that we'll re-sign Stajan for cheap, and stay status quo.

edit

darnit, enjoy Robert Thomas in the Memorial Cup, Hamilton just laid the #1 team in the CHL to rest in 6, 5-4.

I'm a big Katchouk fan so was hoping SSM, but Hamilton's a deserving team.

If you haven't seen much of Thomas, think Trochek and Tkachuk, hardass OHL RHC being the difference.

Damn you, St Loo...

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

ROR for Brodie and Bennett would makes us slower for sure. Brouwer waiving his NTC to go to the Sabres, can't see it.

I understand how you're closing off another pairing, and I'm okay with that. But ROR isn't a great skater, nor is Tkachuk.

With a lesser deal we could likely get Dvorak back with Tkachuk. Good young responsible C.

Then I'd go shopping in St. Louis. They have more RW/RS than they'll be able to fit.

But I keep having this nightmare that we'll re-sign Stajan for cheap, and stay status quo.

edit

darnit, enjoy Robert Thomas in the Memorial Cup, Hamilton just laid the #1 team in the CHL to rest in 6, 5-4.

If you haven't seen much of Thomas, think Trochek and Tkachuk, hardass OHL RHC being the difference.

Damn you, St Loo...

You think Dvorak is available?  Worth more or less than Fischer?

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You think Dvorak is available?  Worth more or less than Fischer?

I would assume they'd listen on Dvorak before Fischer. I'm assuming Keller will ultimately play center, they still have Strome and Merkley in the wings at C, Stepan isn't going anywhere as their veteran C.

They don't have much at RW, so I assume it's a tall order to get the one really good young one they have.

The biggest question is, "how are they feeling about Strome"?

And then, for us, Dvorak is a center, pretty much period. How to adjust if you have Mony, Backlund, Dvorak and Janks at center? Nice problem to have, but still a problem.

If you want to recreate the Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner line, move JG to RW. Same dynamic.

So what's the cost is all that's left. As a guess, maybe Frolik alone as they're weak at RW and low on vets.

Barring that, if you throw Brodie to the wolves, you're adding at least their 2nd in a deep draft. That pick has a lot of worth.

But then you're peddling a mix of Rittich/Andersson/Bennett to St Loo to upgrade RSF.

St Loo and Tampa look like great places to pull pieces/prospects for what we need.

Not easy trade partners so we'd want to have the assets available for that.

We have a lot of holes, one ROR isn't going to change that.

For the money, there are definitely alternatives to find more help elsewhere.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of ROR at his current Cap Hit (another 5 seasons at $7.5M per).

I'd just not be willing to give up very much to take that one on.

IMO, Dvorak was the weakest link on the TDM line, so I've not much interest in him either.

He's pretty important to Arizona right now and it would most likely take an over-payment to acquire him.

I do like the suggestion of moving Gaudreau to RW, IF the Flames were ever to end up with too many quality LWs.

I just have the feeling that he'd adjust to switching sides quicker than Tkachuk, even though MT has played at RW in the OHL on occasion.

On 2018-05-13 at 2:47 AM, conundrumed said:

So now Buffalo would retain salary?

This is getting expensive, one way or the other.

No thanks.

Didn't he just play the "losing culture" card to the media?

Is this the same guy that bought his way out of Colorado because he's all about the money?

I'm in the, "let him choke on it" camp.

Now he's whining about "losing culture".

What's next?

He should maybe come to recognize Buffalo overpaid him to help lose the "losing culture".

Nope.

Suck it up, buttercup.

I definitely have similar feelings about him, though he has had legitimate gripes with both Colorado and Buffalo.  I see him overall about the same as Evander Kane, great talents that could really help the team but with baggage that may or may not come back to bite you.  

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

edit

Damn you, St Loo...

I think the main huge add would be Tavares, next would be Neal in my books, either would upgrade this team significantly. If you don't get either then go to Dvorak but if we gain a C we need to use one in another deal for a RW. I honestly don't think Marner will be on the table (I wish he was) however you may get them to listen on a Jankowski for Nylander deal. Whether we get Tavares or Dvorak we would be strong up the middle plus have that potentially elite RW we need.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:00 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

Deeds....

re read what I said because you clearly did not read the post at all. There is zero misinformation in my post

3 hours ago, cccsberg said:

I definitely have similar feelings about him, though he has had legitimate gripes with both Colorado and Buffalo.  I see him overall about the same as Evander Kane, great talents that could really help the team but with baggage that may or may not come back to bite you.  

I'm still POed @ O'Reilly for wrecking that classic truck in that crash @ Timmys a few years ago. :mad: