The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm not a fan of ROR at his current Cap Hit (another 5 seasons at $7.5M per).

I'd just not be willing to give up very much to take that one on.

IMO, Dvorak was the weakest link on the TDM line, so I've not much interest in him either.

He's pretty important to Arizona right now and it would most likely take an over-payment to acquire him.

I do like the suggestion of moving Gaudreau to RW, IF the Flames were ever to end up with too many quality LWs.

I just have the feeling that he'd adjust to switching sides quicker than Tkachuk, even though MT has played at RW in the OHL on occasion.

I think he was the balance on that line between fast winger and feisty winger.

Having missed most of his draft year, he seems to be coming along pretty well for ARI. The numbers don't scream at you but the FO% jumped in year 2 and his SH% isn't misleading. Has the ability to be a 25G/60pt guy, good at the dot imo.

I just wonder where that leaves Dylan Strome with ARI.

15 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm not a fan of ROR at his current Cap Hit (another 5 seasons at $7.5M per).

I'd just not be willing to give up very much to take that one on.

IMO, Dvorak was the weakest link on the TDM line, so I've not much interest in him either.

He's pretty important to Arizona right now and it would most likely take an over-payment to acquire him.

I do like the suggestion of moving Gaudreau to RW, IF the Flames were ever to end up with too many quality LWs.

I just have the feeling that he'd adjust to switching sides quicker than Tkachuk, even though MT has played at RW in the OHL on occasion.

So, I would prefer to have JH on RW during the PP and a true RHS on the left side.  

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

Apparently everyone except Aho in Carolina is available according to Mackenzie. There willing to listen on everyone. 

https://frshockey.com/nhl/hurricanes/mckenzie-hurricanes-open-to-dealing-everybody-but-aho/

Sounds good.  4 players I'm most interested in acquiring from Carolina (and not realistic in acquiring),

Hanifin

Slavin

Pesce

Lindholm

Another 4 I'm interested if the price was right (and more realistic),

Skinner - enjoyed basically two full seasons without a concussion.  If he's healthy, could be a sleeper of a pickup for us.  He would slot in on top line RW very well.  BUT I don't want to overpay to get him. He's not 30-goal form anymore and should be treated as a high risk acquisition.

Staal - he's such a great two way player especially on the PK but if only his cap hit was $4.5-mil-per.  if the Canes can get the cap hit down for us, Staal is a great add to our team.

Darling - he showed so much promise with the Blackhawks that I want to scratch off last season as an off-year.  Maybe too much pressure as a starter.  I would acquire if Peters think he can get more out of him.  I'm sure the Hurricane regret signing him long term. 

Faulk - to me, he has the talent somewhere in the middle of a Giordano and Brodie. Except RHS RD. He had an off year statistically speaking but his game is well suited for the new NHL.  I think there's a slight window of opportunity to acquire him because the Canes have young D oozing up the system and can afford to trade away a D who had an off-year. Obviously, we have 4 capable RHS RD and one or two would have to go to make room for Faulk on the depth chart.

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

Apparently everyone except Aho in Carolina is available according to Mackenzie. There willing to listen on everyone. 

https://frshockey.com/nhl/hurricanes/mckenzie-hurricanes-open-to-dealing-everybody-but-aho/

I wonder if they would move Necas. He should be ready for full time duty next year and should be able to play in the top 9. He fills a lot of holes as skilled RHS C who plays with a lot of determination.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if they would move Necas. He should be ready for full time duty next year and should be able to play in the top 9. He fills a lot of holes as skilled RHS C who plays with a lot of determination.

My guess is they're trolling their NHL roster. I'd be shocked if it included their top prospects. But agree if they are.

I'd be interested in Teravainen, skilled and just 23. Wonder if he's played RW?

With Smith heading into his age 36 season with one year remaining on his deal, I would like to add a young goalie.

Tristan Jarry comes to mind. I'd offer Fox straight up. 

I don't trust Rittich or Gillies and I don't see them having starter upside

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

With Smith heading into his age 36 season with one year remaining on his deal, I would like to add a young goalie.

Tristan Jarry comes to mind. I'd offer Fox straight up. 

I don't trust Rittich or Gillies and I don't see them having starter upside

Rittich worked well as a backup but fell apart once he got the starter role.  Gillies has succeeded to a championship as a starter before and I still believe he has it in him.  With Parsons in the AHL I believe one of the others needs to go.   I'd like to see Gillies get the back-up role with the Flames, but he could just as easily be traded.  Time will tell.

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

My guess is they're trolling their NHL roster. I'd be shocked if it included their top prospects. But agree if they are.

I'd be interested in Teravainen, skilled and just 23. Wonder if he's played RW?

I think you are right on because CAR has all the makings to form a really good team. Yes Darling didn't have a great start but they have a defense group that could become the envy of the league. Their forward group needs an over haul, when Jordan Staal is your #1 C you have a problem. If BT bombs out getting us any young RW options I would take Williams RW off their hands for a season. This would buy us a season to see what we have in Foo and Gawdin.

Let's say BT is dangling Brodie, which teams need a top 4 D?

ANA- No, Fowler, Manson, Lindholm and Montour

ARI-  No, OEL, Chychrun, Hjalmarson, Demers, Goligoski

BOS- Maybe, Chara, Mcavoy, Krug, Carlo. Chara won't play forever.

BUF-  Yes, Dahlin, Ristolainen, Scandella, Mccabe. I'm sure they would look for an upgrade on Mccabe

CAR No, Slavin, Faulk, Hanifin, Pesce

CHI-  Yes, Seabrook, Keith, Murphy, Oesterle

COL- No, Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov. Girard

CBJ- Maybe, Jones, Werenski, Savard, Murray. Murray has been very injury prone

DAL-  Maybe, Klingberg, Lindell, Methot, Heiskanen, Johns. Who knows if Heiskanen comes over this year

DET- Yes,  Kronwall, Dekeyser, Daley, Jensen

EDM- Yes but not from us

FLA- No, Ekblad, Yandle, Matheson, Pysyk

LA- No, Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin, Forbort

MIN -No, Suter, Dumba, Brodin, Spurgeon

MTL -Yes, Weber, Mete, Petry, Alzner

NSH- No, Ellis, Josi, Subban, Ekholm

NJ- Maybe, Greene, Severson, Vatanen, Butcher

NYI- Yes, Leddy, Boychuk, Pulock, Pelech

NYR- Yes, Shattenkirk, Smith, Staal, Skjei

OTT- Yes, Karlsson, Chabot, Ceci, Borwiecki

PHI- Maybe, Gostisbehere, Provorov, Sanheim, Macdonald. They want a RHD I believe

PIT- No, Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz

STL- Maybe,  Pietrangelo, Parayko, Edmundson, Bouwmeester. WIth Bouw aging they may want a top 4 D although they have Dunn who has looked good.

SJ- Maybe, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Dillon

TB -No, Hedman, Stralman, Mcdonagh, Sergachev

TOR- Yes, Rielly, Hainsey, Gardiner, Zaitsev

VAN- Maybe, Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson, Stecher. They are rebuilding so I can't see them being desperate for a D

VGK- Yes, Theodore, Engelland, Schmidt, Miller. Can they repeat the success they have had this year, I doubt it.

WSH- If Carlson re-signs no,  other than that, Niskanen, Orlov, Orpik, Djoos, they would be looking for D in that case

WPG Maybe, Buff, Trouba, Morrisey, Kulikov, Enstrom

• Like 1

You can;t just look at teams and say they are sticking with what they have.

You also can;t just look at the NHL roster or Capfriendly and say they need this or that.

CAR for instance.  Great young core.  Very little vet presence.  Missed the playoffs.

WPG doesn't need anyone.  They have excess if anything.

Just an example. 

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

BUF-  Yes, Dahlin, Ristolainen, Scandella, Mccabe. I'm sure they would look for an upgrade on Mccabe

DAL-  Maybe, Klingberg, Lindell, Methot, Heiskanen, Johns. Who knows if Heiskanen comes over this year

EDM- Yes but not from us

PHI- Maybe, Gostisbehere, Provorov, Sanheim, Macdonald. They want a RHD I believe

STL- Maybe,  Pietrangelo, Parayko, Edmundson, Bouwmeester. WIth Bouw aging they may want a top 4 D although they have Dunn who has looked good.

VAN- Maybe, Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson, Stecher. They are rebuilding so I can't see them being desperate for a D

VGK- Yes, Theodore, Engelland, Schmidt, Miller. Can they repeat the success they have had this year, I doubt it.

WSH- If Carlson re-signs no,  other than that, Niskanen, Orlov, Orpik, Djoos, they would be looking for D in that case

Not for Brodie, 

our team seems to love reclamation projects for cheap. Would anyone be interested in the disaster which is Virtanen? It would be a Lazar type gamble, but would he be worth as much? 

Although, I am angry with the Lazar pick up. I’d take that deal back.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You can;t just look at teams and say they are sticking with what they have.

You also can;t just look at the NHL roster or Capfriendly and say they need this or that.

CAR for instance.  Great young core.  Very little vet presence.  Missed the playoffs.

WPG doesn't need anyone.  They have excess if anything.

Just an example. 

And thats why I like how the jets built. They now have players waiting in the wings. When they need to trade out contracts, they’ll have ELC players to fill those spots. 

But youre right, some teams will need to make deals to shake things up, even if it’s a straight across hockey trade. Maybe a team needs a mobile D and believe Brodie is a bit more mobile than what they have in their 2nd pair? I dunno.

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

And thats why I like how the jets built. They now have players waiting in the wings. When they need to trade out contracts, they’ll have ELC players to fill those spots. 

The way the Jets are built is very admirable, but 2 things always need to be kept in mind. 

1 - it took 7 years.

2 - They lucked out and got Patrick Laine. 

Quite honestly I see the Flames trending in the same direction as the Jets but it takes more than 4 years to get to that level, especially when the cupboard wasn't exactly full when Treliving got here. Same heights maybe not, but IMO the Flames are a season or 2 away from being a team that will have depth in almost all spots and be in a situation where young players can fill most of their holes. It's coming. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The way the Jets are built is very admirable, but 2 things always need to be kept in mind. 

1 - it took 7 years.

2 - They lucked out and got Patrick Laine. 

Quite honestly I see the Flames trending in the same direction as the Jets but it takes more than 4 years to get to that level, especially when the cupboard wasn't exactly full when Treliving got here. Same heights maybe not, but IMO the Flames are a season or 2 away from being a team that will have depth in almost all spots and be in a situation where young players can fill most of their holes. It's coming. 

We don’t know what Bennett will turn out like, maybe the draft year wasn’t that great, but there were other players who’ve passed him. Essentially we should’ve lucked out on picking that high on a player. Bennett’s lack of progression has set us back about 2 years, or we haven’t found consistency for him, therefore he’s right on track. But what I am saying is, we could’ve had way better producers at this time had we chosen someone other than Bennett. I guess this is in response to Laine. 

Other teams find a Pastranak later in the draft... oh well. I wish we were that lucky. 

I am ok with it taking 7 years though, as long as it looks like there’s a plan. It’s hard to see that there is one yet.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We don’t know what Bennett will turn out like, maybe the draft year wasn’t that great, but there were other players who’ve passed him. Essentially we should’ve lucked out on picking that high on a player. Bennett’s lack of progression has set us back about 2 years, or we haven’t found consistency for him, therefore he’s right on track. But what I am saying is, we could’ve had way better producers at this time had we chosen someone other than Bennett. I guess this is in response to Laine. 

Other teams find a Pastranak later in the draft... oh well. I wish we were that lucky. 

I am ok with it taking 7 years though, as long as it looks like there’s a plan. It’s hard to see that there is one yet.

Completely different situation. The Flames actually finished lower than the Jets that season but the Jet "won" the lottery and moved up to 2. They should have been picking behind the Flames in that draft. How is their team different today if they have Nylander or Sergachev instead of Laine? That's pure luck.

Sure we can use hindsight and questions the pick, and certainly it's obvious Bennett hasn't reached the levels we'd like but let's also remember at the time he was ranked #1 on various publications and was basically unanimously considered a no brainier for the Flames at 4. Difficult to prove, but i'm willing to bet that pretty much every team in the league would have taken Bennett where the Flames did. 

It's difficult to convince anyone other wise when they say they don't see the plan, but I really struggle with that. Personally I think the plan Treliving has is pretty obvious and if you look at their trend in drafting you will see it but to each his own. 

So I think our top 3 Law's going into next season are most likely Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Bennett. Our top 3 C' are Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski. I bring this up because I think Dube might just push Bennett or Jankowski out of a position if they don't come to camp hungry enough. Dube IMO has a legit chance to make this team out of camp, if he does, does that make a Jankowski or a Bennett expendable or does it push one of those guys to the right side, or to the 4th line?

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

EDM- Yes but not from us

Great summary.

I think TOR is a team we should dangle Hamonic to.  They need a RHS RD who can play top 4. Hamonic just hasn't gotten it done here and we have Andersson ready for full time duties.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Can Glenn Gawdin make the Flames at camp?

I'll watch more at the memorial Cup coming up here, but from what i've seen and read so far not likely. Skating needs work before he can be an NHL option. It's below average. 

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Honestly you don't see a progressive plan by BT here ? I think he has done a good job taking what was here as good pieces and supplementing needs to support these young core players coming in. Even Brouwer in theory wasn't a terrible idea just to much was paid for him. I think Bennett's lack of progress is some of his doing but also a failure to support him. As an example, look what they did to Tkachuk by putting him with 2 of the best veteran forwards we have and the success deemed. Why wasn't Bennett afforded the same treatment ? Mistakes get made but BT needs to correct them or maybe now Peters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So I think our top 3 Law's going into next season are most likely Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Bennett. Our top 3 C' are Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski. I bring this up because I think Dube might just push Bennett or Jankowski out of a position if they don't come to camp hungry enough. Dube IMO has a legit chance to make this team out of camp, if he does, does that make a Jankowski or a Bennett expendable or does it push one of those guys to the right side, or to the 4th line?

I think Dube goes to Stockton and develops with the others who need a season of seasoning.

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'll watch more at the memorial Cup coming up here, but from what i've seen and read so far not likely. Skating needs work before he can be an NHL option. It's below average. 

Man I have a hard time comprehending what constitutes "below average" skating from high performing players at the Junior level. Do you get to that level and have the results Gawdin has by being a below average skater ? Give me an example, would he be worse than Monahan or Tkachuk ?

33 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Man I have a hard time comprehending what constitutes "below average" skating from high performing players at the Junior level. Do you get to that level and have the results Gawdin has by being a below average skater ? Give me an example, would he be worse than Monahan or Tkachuk ?

Happens all the time. Ryan Stone, Colin Long, Joel Broda, Bryan Cameron etc. All guys who put up either big point total and/or goal numbers and all of which I would call below avg skaters. 

From what i've seen, which is a bit limited, it's probably similar to Tkachuk's level. Remember below avg is a relative statement. To his peers, it's probably not below avg. for an NHL prospect at this age and where'd you'd ideally like him to be? It's probably below avg. Doesn't mean his bad or not worth it, just means that's what he needs to work on .