The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎18 at 9:50 PM, Flyerfan52 said:

Didn't Josh Ho Sang talk like that after falling to pick @28 ? 

He was last seen playing in the AHL & is probably available to anyone wanting a reclaimation project for a B prospect.

He reminds me of E Kane with less talent but an even more pronounced "it's all about me" complex.

The above is all about Ho Sang rather than Gawdin but a reference point. It certainly doesn't mean I advocate trading for him.

With Gawdin I'd rely heavy on preseason interviews to determine where his head is. Would he play a team game or just try to prove himself so much better than a 4th rounder the drafting team couldn't be bothered signing.

He could be a late bloomer but busting loose @ 21 against boys while exceeding his point output from the previous 2 years makes me wonder.

He's on a 2 way ELC that pays 0.925 in the big league & 0.07 in the AHL so isn't a big cost. Not sure of the roster contracts for next year but @ least he seems affordable.

I am going to watch for him in the MCC and see how his game is. I have seen a few comments that he is the Leader of is team and has some good personal qualities. Having said this and heard that I still see him in the A to keep showing he is no over-age fluke.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:56 PM, cross16 said:

On the Ryan O'Reily front, apparently Bob Mackenzie on his latest podcast said the Sabres are looking for a similar to return to what the Flyers got when they traded Richards. They want a young player in the prime of his career, your top prospect and a 1st or 2nd round pick. Richards cost the Kings Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn and a 2nd round pick. 

So probably cost the Flames Bennett, Valamaki/Fox and a 1st or 2nd round pick to pick up ROR and a 7.5 mill per year cap hit. Yikes. 

Edit: link https://frshockey.com/nhl/sabres/mckenzie-culture-change-cliche-applies-to-sabres/

Who cares about asking price? If another team wants to pay that price then great. What a player actually brings back in return can be very different.

Personally I don't think the flames would have interest in ROR. Doesn't make a lot of sense for me nor BT

I see no reason why the Flames wouldn't have some interest in RoR. He is a top line center with a motor that never stops, he is the best in league at faceoffs(60%) or at least right there. He is positionally sound  and his skating is not as bad as some try to make it out to be. You can never have enough center depth especially when some of our centerprospects are struggling(Bennett) or still maturing(Janks).

9 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Who cares about asking price? If another team wants to pay that price then great. What a player actually brings back in return can be very different.

I see no reason why the Flames wouldn't have some interest in RoR. He is a top line center with a motor that never stops, he is the best in league at faceoffs(60%) or at least right there. He is positionally sound  and his skating is not as bad as some try to make it out to be. You can never have enough center depth especially when some of our centerprospects are struggling(Bennett) or still maturing(Janks).

I saw an interview with ROR and he would be fine with remaining in BUF but would love to see them address some deficiencies. Let's be honest about this, nobody wants ROR at 7.5M at least I wouldn't.

• Like 1

Wonder if Rittich, Stone and Frolik would get us Williams, Lindholm and a 2nd round pick from CAR ?

16 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Wonder if Rittich, Stone and Frolik would get us Williams, Lindholm and a 2nd round pick from CAR ?

I personally don't think so.

Carolina has enough D, their #6 guy TVR is better, younger and cheaper than Stone. Williams put up 51 points last season, Lindholm 45 and a 2nd for Rittich who was just above a .900 goalie, Stone's 10 points and Frolik's 25 points

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I see no reason why the Flames wouldn't have some interest in RoR. 

Because they would be paying 7.5 million for their second line center and be allocating almost twenty million to their center ice position long term and their RW situation would still be a mess. Never mind they likely would have to eat into their depth or top prospects to get the deal done, something they can't really afford to do. 

The player fine, but the fit makes no sense. 

I wonder if Adam Mascherin is a player worth taking from Florida before re-entering the draft?

A 2nd rd pick in 2016 hasn't signed with Florida. Good speed LW, feisty, plays a pretty gritty game with skill. Has always had good jr stats.

Would just be a prospect acquisition, throw a low pick at Florida for their trouble.

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder if Adam Mascherin is a player worth taking from Florida before re-entering the draft?

A 2nd rd pick in 2016 hasn't signed with Florida. Good speed LW, feisty, plays a pretty gritty game with skill. Has always had good jr stats.

Would just be a prospect acquisition, throw a low pick at Florida for their trouble.

as long as you have some assurance he'd sign I would. Apparently Florida wanted a 2nd but got no offers they are down to a 3rd. 1 of the Flames 4th may do it and I think that's worth it. 

But need some idea of signing him. Don't lose the pick for nothing. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Because they would be paying 7.5 million for their second line center and be allocating almost twenty million to their center ice position long term and their RW situation would still be a mess. Never mind they likely would have to eat into their depth or top prospects to get the deal done, something they can't really afford to do. 

The player fine, but the fit makes no sense. 

Your right Cross the Flames have no need for a:

a guy(like RoR) with a first on the ice and last off attitude either. Lets stick with the players who are identified that they could care less, just give me a paycheck kinda guy.

Top 2 way center who is among the best face off guys if not the best. Can you even remember when we had a top faceoff guy?

and surely they can't afford a guy who would help their PP and special teams which all have been our weaknesses for a few years now.

Oh and isn't he too old at 27 years of age?

Lots of teams sink a big portion of their forward budget into centers. They play the extras on the wing. It gives them a better crop of faceoff players especially when they throw out a line with 2+ natural centers on it. God forbid we have one of the best out on the ice right?

• Like 1

Just now, cross16 said:

as long as you have some assurance he'd sign I would. Apparently Florida wanted a 2nd but got no offers they are down to a 3rd. 1 of the Flames 4th may do it and I think that's worth it. 

But need some idea of signing him. Don't lose the pick for nothing. 

Exactly. I think Fla should be able to get a 4th. You'd never get that player in the 4th or you'd have to be awfully fortunate.

We've got some good Windsor region scouts whose opinions I'd trust. Not sure why he won't sign with Fla, may be a red flag.

But he's a bulldog of a player.

2 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

a guy(like RoR) with a first on the ice and last off attitude either. Lets stick with the players who are identified that they could care less, just give me a paycheck kinda guy.

Top 2 way center who is among the best face off guys if not the best. Can you even remember when we had a top faceoff guy?

and surely they can't afford a guy who would help their PP and special teams which all have been our weaknesses for a few years now.

Lots of teams sink a big portion of their forward budget into centers. They play the extras on the wing. It gives them a better crop of faceoff players especially when they throw out a line with 2+ natural centers on it. God forbid we have one of the best out on the ice right?

You think that's true DD? I definitely do, but I'm staying mum.

I'll say if you say, lol.

Buffalo wants a big mittful, so it's probably appropriate to surmise what we'd have to give up to get him and the $7.5 for 5.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You think that's true DD? I definitely do, but I'm staying mum.

I'll say if you say, lol.

Buffalo wants a big mittful, so it's probably appropriate to surmise what we'd have to give up to get him and the $7.5 for 5.

I think BT is a "thrift shop" type of guy. He won't go for RoR because that would upset his budget conscious thinking. RoR would instantly become our highest paid player and we can't have anyone making more than Gio now can we?

Why do you think BT made "nothing moves" at the trade deadline? He already spent most of our draft picks.. Don't have many of those anymore this year.

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I personally don't think so.

Carolina has enough D, their #6 guy TVR is better, younger and cheaper than Stone. Williams put up 51 points last season, Lindholm 45 and a 2nd for Rittich who was just above a .900 goalie, Stone's 10 points and Frolik's 25 points

I have a feeling some crazy stuff is going to happen in CAR. I won't dispute what you have said here but maybe add some reasoning in my thinking. They may want to trade Faulk which provides a possible need for Stone. Frolik is an experienced replacement and any team still needs good defensive forwards. Ward as a back up Goalie is done and they only have 1 kid in their farm. Williams is 36 in the final year of is contract, I see no reason why they wouldn't move him to get out from under his salary. If we must add something BT can figure it out but I think a deal like this is possible.

30 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

You keep twisting what I'm saying. ROR as a player sure there is a fit. But ROR at 7.5mill plus giving up several good pieces to get him is not a fit. 

If the Sabres would eat at least 1 mill per year on the deal and it didn't cost the Flames A good young player (Bennett) or top prospect then I'm all ears. I suspect that won't be the case given what is out there though. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I think BT is a "thrift shop" type of guy. He won't go for RoR because that would upset his budget conscious thinking. RoR would instantly become our highest paid player and we can't have anyone making more than Gio now can we?

Why do you think BT made "nothing moves" at the trade deadline? He already spent most of our draft picks.. Don't have many of those anymore this year.

We're on the same page, for sure.

He's only thrift shop at forward.

Guys like Backs, Frolik, even Brodie's sh% falling way low this year. All of a sudden we have almost no secondary scoring and need 2-1 wins, because we just can't score.

Because BT can't stop throwing everything at D, and hail mary's at fwd.

32 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Exactly. I think Fla should be able to get a 4th. You'd never get that player in the 4th or you'd have to be awfully fortunate.

We've got some good Windsor region scouts whose opinions I'd trust. Not sure why he won't sign with Fla, may be a red flag.

But he's a bulldog of a player.

I like him too. Don't know if his game translates great to the NHL but id be willing to be a 4th on it. 

From what ive read he's never gotten along with the Florida organization. Under the previous regime their communication was really poor and apparently hee wasn't even invited to training camp until the last minute. Put a bad taste in his mouth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I like him too. Don't know if his game translates great to the NHL but id be willing to be a 4th on it. 

From what ive read he's never gotten along with the Florida organization. Under the previous regime their communication was really poor and apparently hee wasn't even invited to training camp until the last minute. Put a bad taste in his mouth. 

The whole time I've been thinking Fla fumbled him by insult/humiliation.

Never had evidence, but definitely a sense of that.

It's odd because Florida's scouts elevated him in the draft a bit imho.

The knock has always been, "why are you 5'10" and 205"?

It's just his build, he's a thick kid.

Very good skater and nothing in his fitness says he's outta shape.

If Calgary doesn't, I hope Detroit does.

Kid's got a rifle and a heavy game, things we need to have developing imho.

28 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The whole time I've been thinking Fla fumbled him by insult/humiliation.

Never had evidence, but definitely a sense of that.

It's odd because Florida's scouts elevated him in the draft a bit imho.

The knock has always been, "why are you 5'10" and 205"?

It's just his build, he's a thick kid.

Very good skater and nothing in his fitness says he's outta shape.

If Calgary doesn't, I hope Detroit does.

Kid's got a rifle and a heavy game, things we need to have developing imho.

I am curious if his skating has improved since his draft year, the knock on him going into the draft was his size and lack of foot speed. I would take a chance on him regardless, but if he has improved his foot speed to be even average I would be much more bullish on him.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I am curious if his skating has improved since his draft year, the knock on him going into the draft was his size and lack of foot speed. I would take a chance on him regardless, but if he has improved his foot speed to be even average I would be much more bullish on him.

Don't know why.

His skating can be explosive. He's fast. N-S, he's gone.

If you mean Johnny's tricky foot speed, no.

He's a short stocky guy, he can fly.

His cuts and swerves aren't like small guys. Alternatively, he can explode N-S, great first steps and gone.

Being short and stocky, he can play a hard game and get after pucks in the crease, great center of gravity.

And, he has a rifle. He can shoot and likes to do it, a lot.

He's not afraid to score, unlike most things we have going on.

Find me a 4th like him, I'm satisfied.

You won't.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Trade Backlund for him straight up.  Get a C more in line with where we want to go.  Save the $5.25mm and get a top line RW.

18 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Why would the Sabres trade him then?

57 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why would the Sabres trade him then?

They don't want to. I have seen nothing in the reports about them wanting to trade him. Just him with his lost his love for hockey comments and later his wanting to stay.

Cross is right about one thing he has a big contract. However later on that won't be so big or even out of line.

As for Backs.. he has still not reached his peak. Look at the Worlds to see the impact he brings.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

They don't want to. I have seen nothing in the reports about them wanting to trade him. Just him with his lost his love for hockey comments and later his wanting to stay.

Cross is right about one thing he has a big contract. However later on that won't be so big or even out of line.

As for Backs.. he has still not reached his peak. Look at the Worlds to see the impact he brings.

Who are Bscklund’s line mates?

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Umm what?  

So let me get this straight.  He has a "first guy on the ice and last guy off the ice attitude" but he openly expressed he lost his love for hockey.

Which one is it?  It can't be both.