The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Umm what?  

So let me get this straight.  He has a "first guy on the ice and last guy off the ice attitude" but he openly expressed he lost his love for hockey.

Which one is it?  It can't be both.

Yes it can be both. He has a very good work ethic. 

You never work hard at something you don't like Peeps?  Not everyone can work at something they love.  You get your rewards from the hard work and some results.

20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I am curious if his skating has improved since his draft year, the knock on him going into the draft was his size and lack of foot speed. I would take a chance on him regardless, but if he has improved his foot speed to be even average I would be much more bullish on him.

I went back over some of his scouting reports and his skating was indeed questioned.

After watching the Rangers take out the Sting and SSM do likewise to the Rangers I wasn't seeing that myself, so it's likely his skating has developed since those scouting reports.

If we got him for a 4th, combined with Gawdin, I'd say we had a decent draft for not having any decent picks.

I'm curious to if there's a way we can facilitate a 3 way trade with LA in order to obtain Tyler Toffoli.

-he played in the OHL with Monahan, both players had fantastic seasons together. I know that doesn't always translate but both players have been successful NHLers and it would give Johnny 2 scoring options on his line

-LA is rumoured to be looking for personnel change after only 1 postseason win since the 2014 cup victory. I'm thinking the likes of Toffoli and Pearson may be available.

-That being said I think LA is of the mindset that you don't trade within your division. That's fine we will bring a 3rd team into the deal.

-What does LA need. At a glance I think they need a top line LW to play with Kopitar. Brown does well at RW with Kopitar, but last season Iaffalo was playing top line LW, I'm sure there's an upgrade out there.

-Enter MTL, it's believed Pacioretty will be moved. Not that he's close to retiring, but at age 29 it's believed he wants to play his remaining seasons in the sunbelt. Having Kopitar as his C, there's no reason to believe he won't pile up a few more 30 goal years

-What does MTL need? It's believed they would like a top pair partner for Weber. Enter TJ Brodie. They would also like C depth, maybe Trevor Lewis is included from LA and in exchange they help alleviate their logjam on the back end by flipping him for Schlemko

How about this

CGY receives Tyler Toffoli

LA receives Max Pacioretty, David Schlemko

MTL receives TJ Brodie, Trevor Lewis

This is the framework of the deal, maybe prospects and picks are included. Anyway I believe this fulfils the needs of these 3 franchises

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm curious to if there's a way we can facilitate a 3 way trade with LA in order to obtain Tyler Toffoli.

-he played in the OHL with Monahan, both players had fantastic seasons together. I know that doesn't always translate but both players have been successful NHLers and it would give Johnny 2 scoring options on his line

-LA is rumoured to be looking for personnel change after only 1 postseason win since the 2014 cup victory. I'm thinking the likes of Toffoli and Pearson may be available.

-That being said I think LA is of the mindset that you don't trade within your division. That's fine we will bring a 3rd team into the deal.

-What does LA need. At a glance I think they need a top line LW to play with Kopitar. Brown does well at RW with Kopitar, but last season Iaffalo was playing top line LW, I'm sure there's an upgrade out there.

-Enter MTL, it's believed Pacioretty will be moved. Not that he's close to retiring, but at age 29 it's believed he wants to play his remaining seasons in the sunbelt. Having Kopitar as his C, there's no reason to believe he won't pile up a few more 30 goal years

-What does MTL need? It's believed they would like a top pair partner for Weber. Enter TJ Brodie. They would also like C depth, maybe Trevor Lewis is included from LA and in exchange they help alleviate their logjam on the back end by flipping him for Schlemko

How about this

CGY receives Tyler Toffoli

LA receives Max Pacioretty, David Schlemko

MTL receives TJ Brodie, Trevor Lewis

This is the framework of the deal, maybe prospects and picks are included. Anyway I believe this fulfils the needs of these 3 franchises

If LA does not want to trade in division. Going through Montreal for a 3 way does not change anything, they would not do that deal. 3 Way deal they know that the player ends up in their division.

10 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

If LA does not want to trade in division. Going through Montreal for a 3 way does not change anything, they would not do that deal. 3 Way deal they know that the player ends up in their division.

2015. San Jose wanted Jones, LA wouldn’t trade Jones to them. You’d be foolish to think SJ wasn’t in the loop with Boston when they acquired Jones from LA for Lucic. Why the heck would Boston want Jones when they had Rask locked up at 7mill for something like another 5 mill.... then conveniently enough a few days later Jones is sent from Boston to San Jose.

it doesn’t need to be a three way trade like we saw with NSH OTT and COL in fact the best way would be to work through MTL like SJ did with BOS

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

2015. San Jose wanted Jones, LA wouldn’t trade Jones to them. You’d be foolish to think SJ wasn’t in the loop with Boston when they acquired Jones from LA for Lucic. Why the heck would Boston want Jones when they had Rask locked up at 7mill for something like another 5 mill.... then conveniently enough a few days later Jones is sent from Boston to San Jose.

it doesn’t need to be a three way trade like we saw with NSH OTT and COL in fact the best way would be to work through MTL like SJ did with BOS

Then this is not a 3 way trade.

27 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Then this is not a 3 way trade.

I am aware of that

The entire point is if BT wants Toffoli, or Silfverberg for example he’s going to need to be creative. 

Some interesting names on the list. Adam Ollas Mattsson is interesting from a  Calgary stand point, not sure he has shown enough to earn a contract at this point, he really isn't a player built for the current NHL.

Tyler Soy is a player I would take a look at, played with Matt Phillips in Victoria and put solid numbers.

Hudson Elyniuk is a big 6'5" center, who also put up solid numbers in Spokane, his dad is former NHLer Pat Elyniuk.

Jordan Sambrook is a 6'2" RHS defenseman who has put up solid numbers in OHL.

Adam Mascherin we have talked about him before, but he scores goals.

Jordy Stallard is a 6'2" C who put up 91 points and 44 goals for the Raiders this year.

Stallard may get passed over due to the state of contracts in WPG, but that's only a guess.  They may need cheap players.

Mascherin seems to have similar numbers.

I just hope they don't just look at expiring rights players.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Stallard may get passed over due to the state of contracts in WPG, but that's only a guess.  They may need cheap players.

Mascherin seems to have similar numbers.

I just hope they don't just look at expiring rights players.

Strange he's on that list. The Moose signed Stallard to an amateur tryout agreement Apr. 7 & he's due in camp.

I just rewatched his interview right after & he sounded excited to play in his home province.

With the Jets likely to have to call up the readiest of the AHL players to replace the expiring UFA contracts they'll want to restock the farm. A top 15 scorer in the WHL will help in that.

Just now, Flyerfan52 said:

Strange he's on that list. The Moose signed Stallard to an amateur tryout agreement Apr. 7 & he's due in camp.

I just rewatched his interview right after & he sounded excited to play in his home province.

With the Jets likely to have to call up the readiest of the AHL players to replace the expiring UFA contracts they'll want to restock the farm. A top 15 scorer in the WHL will help in that.

Thanks for the insight.  With the ATO, that's only for the current season not next year right?  He would need an AHL or NHL deal first right?

Anyway, it's a little strange they waited so long.  He'll get signed, but it took long enough.    

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Thanks for the insight.  With the ATO, that's only for the current season not next year right?  He would need an AHL or NHL deal first right?

Anyway, it's a little strange they waited so long.  He'll get signed, but it took long enough.    

The Moose only had 1 game left @ the time so the ATO is likely for next year. He attended previous camps so knows expectations & would have an edge over others.

Just my opinion but a 1 game contract heading into playoffs where you dance with the 1s that brought you (meaning he'd be unlikely to play) wouldn't make much sense.

The length of time was probably to see if he'd bounce back from the shoulder surgery that shortened his 2016-17 season. He did while finishing 14th in WHL scoring.

and ATO would not be applicable for next year as it would not allow the Jets to retain his rights. In order for the Jets to retain his rights they will need to offer him a bonafide NHL deal. 

It is very likely that he got the ATO with the anticipation that a Jets deal is coming, pretty common practice, but as of now he still belongs on that list. That list doesn't mean a player can't or won't be signed by June 1 it just means as of today they are not signed. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Some interesting names on the list. Adam Ollas Mattsson is interesting from a  Calgary stand point, not sure he has shown enough to earn a contract at this point, he really isn't a player built for the current NHL.

Tyler Soy is a player I would take a look at, played with Matt Phillips in Victoria and put solid numbers.

Hudson Elyniuk is a big 6'5" center, who also put up solid numbers in Spokane, his dad is former NHLer Pat Elyniuk.

Jordan Sambrook is a 6'2" RHS defenseman who has put up solid numbers in OHL.

Adam Mascherin we have talked about him before, but he scores goals.

Jordy Stallard is a 6'2" C who put up 91 points and 44 goals for the Raiders this year.

I was a big fan of Jordan Sambrook in his draft year. Not sure if he's just plateaued as I have not seen him recently but he could be a decent depth guy for the AHL. Had a little bit of everything to his game, plus is a RH shot.

Anton Karlsson is a typically two way Swede. Lacks some offense but a really smart player. Probably just wants to stay overseas though. 

Mascherin is still intriguing but they'd have to trade for him or hope he falls to the 4th which he might. Not sure if they even like him though, but that production alone I would take a flyer on. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I was a big fan of Jordan Sambrook in his draft year. Not sure if he's just plateaued as I have not seen him recently but he could be a decent depth guy for the AHL. Had a little bit of everything to his game, plus is a RH shot.

Anton Karlsson is a typically two way Swede. Lacks some offense but a really smart player. Probably just wants to stay overseas though. 

Mascherin is still intriguing but they'd have to trade for him or hope he falls to the 4th which he might. Not sure if they even like him though, but that production alone I would take a flyer on. 

I think Mascherin probably would be available in the 4th. 

Majority of the guys on that list would be AHL depth at best, but you need that depth at the AHL as well, especially down the middle that's why I would take a chance on guys like Soy, Elyniuk or Stallard.

I saw something a few weeks ago about Rasmus for Sprong with Pittsburgh. Not sure if I'd give up Rasmus, but I would definitely see if they would try Kylington for Sprong straight across.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Too bad, Cam Neely says they are looking for size on D.

Stone

If Evander Kane is worth 7 years at $7m AAV, I really hope we are staying away from big game shopping in the UFA market. If Kane is worth 7x7, how much is JVR worth now?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If Evander Kane is worth 7 years at $7m AAV, I really hope we are staying away from big game shopping in the UFA market. If Kane is worth 7x7, how much is JVR worth now?

going to be a really bad year to be looking at the UFA market. Every year the salary cap rises by a large amount, expected to be 4-5 million this year, GMs get stupid with their money again. Hopefully Treliving has learned from his past and stays away. 

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

going to be a really bad year to be looking at the UFA market. Every year the salary cap rises by a large amount, expected to be 4-5 million this year, GMs get stupid with their money again. Hopefully Treliving has learned from his past and stays away. 

Hopefully we can use our cap space to help out some teams that are going to have cap issues this summer. 

Is Minnesota going to have enough cap space to make the moves they want with a new GM, plus re-sign Zucker and Dumba. We can help them out by taking one of Zucker, Coyle or Niederreiter off their hands.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But they want a top 4 LD.

Would we be willing to move Giordano?    

It is never as simple as that, adding Stone could free up someone else to trade. Maybe it doesn't even involve Stone but Skinner has 1 year remaining so they likely move him so they can apply the money elsewhere. I look at our situation surround the top line RW and think we need to consider a short term deal like 1 season with someone good.

Boston is an interesting team in their quest for a LH D

-they gave up a ton of assets for Nash, that didn't work out great

-their 1st line is untouchable

-their 2nd line consists of an overpaid and injury prone Krejci, Debrusk and Heinen who are solid young players, that I would imagine they want to keep.

All in all, I think the right move for the Bruins is to sign, De Haan, Johnson, Hickey or Cole. Also we don't align to well with them as trade partners