The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Just looking at numbers and not video, it doesn't make sense at how Sprongs game hasn't translated better to the nhl.

I wonder if he needs a change of scenery.

I don't want to trade Andersson, but I doubt the pens would take anything but him. So I'd propose Andersson(sorry if I'm spelling that wrong) and Ruzicka for Sprong.

Rutherford stated Sprong will be with the big club next year.

As for the "attitude" discussion...

Not everyone sees all of the different mindset approaches to the game.

It's easy to say, wow you're a prick. But after 20 years old you've got a pretty good idea of how you need to approach the game to both play your best and keep your sanity.

Ho-Sang can actually be a dominant player on the ice from what I've seen.

If you're mgr/coach, part of your job is knowing how to manage/coach 23 different personalities.

On 5/24/2018 at 6:32 PM, cross16 said:

The term is what hurts on Kessel. He is a skill set fit although I do question if he would fit the market. I lean no. 

Makes sense for the flames to inquire but to see a deal is tough. Despite his point totals I think his salary, term and reputation will lower his trade value to a certain degree but I'm not sure it will lower it enough to make it a fit. 

Kessel left his reputation behind in the trade from the Leafs. Makes you wonder how much of that poor reputation was TO media???

TO retained a fair amount of his salary. Could you get the Pens to keep another large chunk too? That could make him a bargain of they did not want a lot of assets back.

cfdb27d487e347e24d086b3218c538b8.png

Kessel was their 2nd top producer despite getting 3rd line minutes on Pens. More points than Crosby and lots of PP(yes he would really help our PP). He would likely fit like a glove here on any of our top 3 lines. 

Multiple 30 goal scorer(6x), career best 94 pt season.

With 4 years remaining  on his contract he would be huge upgrade to Brouwer at 4.8m/yr if they would retain a  mil or two on Kessel. 

• Like 1

Kessel was played on the third line a bit, but he definitely wasn't getting third line minutes. In what universe, is third line minutes being just shy of 19 minutes a game?

Kessel would fit a few needs we have, it really depends on acquisition cost. The 4 years is tough, but if you're getting him for cheap, take him at full (Pens) price. And pay a little more if you can get another 1.5-2 mil retained.

As for the attitude thing? I think it's mostly overblown by the TO media. Remember, they gave up 2 first round picks and a second round pick. The second round pick (from 2010) hasn't played any NHL time yet, and spent 2016/17 playing in Denmark. It's safe to write him off. But the 2 first round picks turned into Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. With that and being one of the better pure snipers in the league, it lead to some extremely high expectations about carrying the leafs to (and through) the playoffs. And that just isn't Kessel. He isn't the guy you build around, and put front and center. He's an extremely strong supporting player, and a guy who can take some of the weight off the core. But because he didn't "Do it all" for Toronto, he got the attitude thing. Remember as well... Dougie supposedly had an attitude problem. Seguin had an attitude problem. Thornton had an attitude problem. And yet all 3 of those players (4 if you count Kessel since leaving Toronto) haven't had that label since leaving those cities (and in Dougie, Kessel, and Thorntons cases, they've gotten reputations of being extremely kind guys, who are also locker-room pranksters and stuff). As long as he goes somewhere where he isn't "the guy" (which wouldn't be the case in Calgary with the core we have) I don't see the whole attitude thing being an issue.

And reality is, if we load him with Mony and JG on the powerplay, and play him with Janko (or Sam if they go for him centering the third line) for 5v5, I could see it being very productive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Khrox said:

Kessel was played on the third line a bit, but he definitely wasn't getting third line minutes. In what universe, is third line minutes being just shy of 19 minutes a game?

Kessel would fit a few needs we have, it really depends on acquisition cost. The 4 years is tough, but if you're getting him for cheap, take him at full (Pens) price. And pay a little more if you can get another 1.5-2 mil retained.

As for the attitude thing? I think it's mostly overblown by the TO media. Remember, they gave up 2 first round picks and a second round pick. The second round pick (from 2010) hasn't played any NHL time yet, and spent 2016/17 playing in Denmark. It's safe to write him off. But the 2 first round picks turned into Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. With that and being one of the better pure snipers in the league, it lead to some extremely high expectations about carrying the leafs to (and through) the playoffs. And that just isn't Kessel. He isn't the guy you build around, and put front and center. He's an extremely strong supporting player, and a guy who can take some of the weight off the core. But because he didn't "Do it all" for Toronto, he got the attitude thing. Remember as well... Dougie supposedly had an attitude problem. Seguin had an attitude problem. Thornton had an attitude problem. And yet all 3 of those players (4 if you count Kessel since leaving Toronto) haven't had that label since leaving those cities (and in Dougie, Kessel, and Thorntons cases, they've gotten reputations of being extremely kind guys, who are also locker-room pranksters and stuff). As long as he goes somewhere where he isn't "the guy" (which wouldn't be the case in Calgary with the core we have) I don't see the whole attitude thing being an issue.

And reality is, if we load him with Mony and JG on the powerplay, and play him with Janko (or Sam if they go for him centering the third line) for 5v5, I could see it being very productive.

I see a different trend that BOS management had the WRONG attitude LOL. That franchise has been terribly managed for years.

There is no way the Flames should be considering a trade of Hamilton.

12 hours ago, Khrox said:

I think this is well said, especially about the attitude. I think Kessel is just different and not everyone can handle it, especially the media, and it's garnered him a reputation. I think there is truth to it, but it being negative is overblown. 

Where i may disagree is the fit here. I'm not sure I see it working as I think Kessel needs to be in a place like Pittsburgh. Solid core , strong leadership, market where you can get away with some questionable play etc. I don't see calgary as that market and I womder if this core could handle a personality like Kessel. I'd lean toward no. 

On 2018-05-25 at 11:50 AM, MAC331 said:

???????

Really?  Calgary has no less talented team than Vegas, and I’m not sure they even have a faster team overall.  What they have is a system, team buy-in and a goalie playing 20pts better than he ever has in the playoffs.  If the Flames did the same they could achieve similar results, and the question is why aren’t they?  People seem to think we have all these holes and new guys are the answer, but really even during this season the Flames have had stretches dominating elite-level teams so it’s clear our current personnel are capable, just not consistent.  

45 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Really?  Calgary has no less talented team than Vegas, and I’m not sure they even have a faster team overall.  What they have is a system, team buy-in and a goalie playing 20pts better than he ever has in the playoffs.  If the Flames did the same they could achieve similar results, and the question is why aren’t they?  People seem to think we have all these holes and new guys are the answer, but really even during this season the Flames have had stretches dominating elite-level teams so it’s clear our current personnel are capable, just not consistent.  

We are told we also have some players who don't want to give it their all. I don't think LV has that problem. This renders our equal or better talent talent pretty useless in comparison.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

We are told we also have some players who don't want to give it their all. I don't think LV has that problem. This renders our equal or better talent talent pretty useless in comparison.

That's true, so where BT goes with near future trades and the coaching changes will tell a lot.  Plus, we can gain from Vegas' example, but we'll never have the motivation they have by having every single player dumped by their old teams... BT has to do what he can, we certainly have a lot of room to improve.

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Should be interesting to see what the net results of BT's comments turn into.

For me, I think it's probably more fitting to say the roster isn't skilled enough. I think there's a lot of try hard, some players just aren't good enough. Try hard doesn't overcome lack of talents.

I believe a big hit to us this past year was Frolik's injury, followed by Tkachuk's. Seems like it = down year for Backs. Plus, Backs contract situation he admitted was a burden.

Even as Frolik returned he still didn't look right. Losing what is undoubtedly our best 200' winger seemed to just highlighted our F problems imho.

I'm hoping Frolik-Backs remain as a pair to start the 18-19 season. I believe the 2 together are our most complete players that, for the most part, play the game the right way.

But I do think BT has to end the dumpster diving. I believe all of those PTO's, low-level offseason adds, giving a 2nd for Lazar, this past TDL have been abject failures.

HAVE to stop doing the same things that have invariably failed.

I think the last thing I wanna hear anymore is, "well it didn't cost us anything".

It's always costing us getting better, and sometimes roster spots from within.

Raymond

Vey

Lack

Grossman

Lazar

Bartkowski

Stewart

Glass

Gazdic

Let other teams make these moves to get worse. We're batting a thousand on grabbing low level guys that make us worse, imho.

They may be low level contracts, but they all add up to useless contracts. None of these guys make us better than just throwing prospects into the fire and being patient to their mistakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I worry that we use "sources" like Francis as more than rumor mongers.

I recall him saying something to the effect that if Gully is fired, the team should be ashamed.

Others have questioned the pride.

I tend to think we have a few problem children that are spoiling the team atmosphere.

Do I care if Dougie photo bombs players or some other guy delivers a pizza during an interview?  Not if that player gives a crap during the game and hates losing.

Get rid of the crap and bring n players that truly want to play and win.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I recall him saying something to the effect that if Gully is fired, the team should be ashamed.

I tend to think we have a few problem children that are spoiling the team atmosphere.

Do I care if Dougie photo bombs players or some other guy delivers a pizza during an interview?  Not if that player gives a crap during the game and hates losing.

ON 960 Francis was interviewed Friday afternoon and spoke about his lengthy sit-down with BT that morning.  I don't think its rumours.  The full story was in the Calgary Sun yesterday.  As for the players, I think some changes and upgrades are definitely in order.  From afar it is hard to tell who.  We will likely see within the next 5-6 weeks.  Hamilton got more serious and focused after his brother was dropped.  That was good to see, hopefully it continues.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I believe DD is well aware of Francis and that isn't what is being alluded to. BT SPOKE to guys not giving their all, it wasn't putzy...err...Francis.

IMHO, Hamilton's photo bombs were kinda disrespectful and a couple players looked annoyed by it.

In the big picture, to me, you just won. They want to interview player x due to being a big part of the W. Player x is all happy to do it, maybe it's a guy that's been struggling and now he's getting some props.

Then your teammate comes in and goofs on your moment.

I can see how that might be insulting for some guys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I believe DD is well aware of Francis and that isn't what is being alluded to. BT SPOKE to guys not giving their all, it wasn't putzy...err...Francis.

IMHO, Hamilton's photo bombs were kinda disrespectful and a couple players looked annoyed by it.

In the big picture, to me, you just won. They want to interview player x due to being a big part of the W. Player x is all happy to do it, maybe it's a guy that's been struggling and now he's getting some props.

Then your teammate comes in and goofs on your moment.

I can see how that might be insulting for some guys.

It was BT who spoke of this either in the 1st interview after exits, or 2nd one.. was on Fan 960.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

ON 960 Francis was interviewed Friday afternoon and spoke about his lengthy sit-down with BT that morning.  I don't think its rumours.  The full story was in the Calgary Sun yesterday.  As for the players, I think some changes and upgrades are definitely in order.  From afar it is hard to tell who.  We will likely see within the next 5-6 weeks.  Hamilton got more serious and focused after his brother was dropped.  That was good to see, hopefully it continues.

It was an end/near end of season interview with BT, nothing to do with Francis. Can't speak for DD, but I'm certain he's referencing that Q&A.

Loubourdias I can listen to all day long(took awhile), why not change the station when it's Francis? I do.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Exactly. The only player last season that looked like he was was absolutely pi**ed when they lost was Mike Smith. Minimal emotion on the ice, complaining about call/missed call, too much of that indifferent BS. There was a few times when things were getting pushy around the crease the only one who seemed to want to stand up was Smith. Admittingly that was one of the few things thing I like about Brouwers game. There needs to be more emotion when things are going bad, not just during the high spells. (and not "take a stupid penalty" emotion)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Exactly. The only player last season that looked like he was was absolutely pi**ed when they lost was Mike Smith. Minimal emotion on the ice, complaining about call/missed call, too much of that indifferent BS. There was a few times when things were getting pushy around the crease the only one who seemed to want to stand up was Smith. Admittingly that was one of the few things thing I like about Brouwers game. There needs to be more emotion when things are going bad, not just during the high spells. (and not "take a stupid penalty" emotion)

Hamonic battled hard, hopefully yr 2 gets him settled though.

The Flames always rub me wrong. It's mental, imho. It's been that way for over a decade.

Just look at the constant mental mistakes, Brodie, Bennett, Gaudreau, Ferland.

Go back, it's Tanguay, Phaneuf, Iggy, Huselius.

Is it the altitude or what?

Tbh, Hartley was fighting against the mentality here, imho.

How do you do that? Be hard on everyone.

Playing NHL hockey in Canada is being a rock star.

Hire Pat Burns and flog them mercilessly until they get in line.

That's generally the way you overcome it.

It's working for a guy like Taylor Hall now, isn't it?

Great stories of him going to NJ thinking he's a boss.

We should get RNH, lol.

Deride him and take the kid-gloves off, see what he really is, lol.

Edmonton...

19 hours ago, cccsberg said:

You are being a homer here. They didn't kick A because they didn't have a better team. The Flames didn't do the same because the personel wasn't there to be as good as VEGAS.

17 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You are being a homer here. They didn't kick A because they didn't have a better team. The Flames didn't do the same because the personel wasn't there to be as good as VEGAS.

If we are just going off talent , I'd have to agree we have a way more talented team... look no further than Engelland, can we honestly say he'd be a 20 min 2nd pair dman here ?

Can William Karlsson maintain a 25% shooting % ?

In terms of execution and utilization though, we fell a few miles short .

Thats a mix of coaching ,and individuals that do or dont give what it takes..

You are as good as you show , and that stretch where we won in Tampa showed what this team can play like , and I would have put them up against any team when we played like that .

I like Vegas, I'm happy for what they are accomplishing and they deserve every accolade and success they have gotten so far , I may be pulling for Ovi but I'll cheer if/when Vegas wins ...but they are also candidates to fall off a major cliff next season 

Shooting % come back to reality 

contracts will begin to separate 

the "shoulder chips" will dissipate 

"Expectations" will now appear 

They wont surprise anybody next year 

I agree with CC, we just need a tweak or 2, and a culture adjustment 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You are right in one respect, “team” is way better in Vegas.  Also better is their “relentless” play, their aggressive/attacking forecheck and back check and PK, and better is their goaltending, especially in the playoffs where Fleury is operating at an all-time best efficiency.  Also better is their determination/motivation where they are using the fact each was exposed/dropped by their former teams, as well as a local motivation as a brand new team, helping their community move past tragic events just prior to the season.  

You will notice the ONLY personnel-related aspect is goaltending, and if you consider the first half of the season, Calgary’s was better. You are wrong that it is only/primarily a personnel issue.  Even speed-wise, with Brodie, Bennett, Gaudreau, Lazar... I don’t believe we’re losing much speed-wise.  Vegas is where they are not because they have the best personnel, but because they have the best team, and outside of early-season were pretty injury-free.  Think of it like the reverse of Edmonton, who has some exceptional personnel but a terrible team, who was great two years ago when the stars aligned but fell back to earth this past year.  

Certainly the Flames have need of some upgrades, with 3-4 players coming to mind, but they are not that far off.  That’s not being a “homer” it’s being realistic.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2018-nhl-trade-candidates-24-players-get-dealt-summer/sn-amp/

Some interesting names on this list of trade candidates. The names that interest me the most are Andre Burkovsky, Nino Niederreiter, Charlie Coyle and Max Domi. 

Burkovsky has size, skill and can skate, he just hasn't been able to put it all together for a full season yet. I think he would be a worth while target, not sure what it costs to get him. Brodie would help their aging blueline.

Niederreiter has skill and speed that we need and can play both wings. He has a big contract and that might lower his value a bit. Minnesota might up against the cap and they have to sign Dumba and Zucker to big raises this year.

Coyle is a big RHS forward to checks a lot boxes for us. He hasn't quite lived up to the potential and has had trouble staying healthy. 

Fenton comes from Nashville and could look for an upgrade on the back end, again Brodie might be the fit.

Domi struggled this year, but there is no doubt that the skill and determination is there. I wonder if a change of scenery trade would benefit both teams in a Domi for Bennett swap.

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

You are right in one respect, “team” is way better in Vegas.  Also better is their “relentless” play, their aggressive/attacking forecheck and back check and PK, and better is their goaltending, especially in the playoffs where Fleury is operating at an all-time best efficiency.  Also better is their determination/motivation where they are using the fact each was exposed/dropped by their former teams, as well as a local motivation as a brand new team, helping their community move past tragic events just prior to the season.  

You will notice the ONLY personnel-related aspect is goaltending, and if you consider the first half of the season, Calgary’s was better. You are wrong that it is only/primarily a personnel issue.  Even speed-wise, with Brodie, Bennett, Gaudreau, Lazar... I don’t believe we’re losing much speed-wise.  Vegas is where they are not because they have the best personnel, but because they have the best team, and outside of early-season were pretty injury-free.  Think of it like the reverse of Edmonton, who has some exceptional personnel but a terrible team, who was great two years ago when the stars aligned but fell back to earth this past year.  

Certainly the Flames have need of some upgrades, with 3-4 players coming to mind, but they are not that far off.  That’s not being a “homer” it’s being realistic.  

The need for those "right" 3 or 4 players will be essential in order for this team to be much better. I agree wholeheartedly we are close, very close and my hope is BT can deliver a better roster for BP to compliment the type of game which has our team reach peak performance.

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

The one thing they have over us is depth and a reason to play? We have a few higher end talent so far, but who is to say that the players that are playing above their heads just needed the opportunity to play up the lineup? The teams they’re plucked from already had their #1 guys. 

I suppose if if you take Karlsson’ goals away they’re different. But then they have a deep team of all 2nd and 3rd liners. We don’t have real scoring beyond the 1st or 2nd line. You stop one and we are done (probably 50% of the time). Well, you stop Johnny and we are done. It’s ok to get a goal or two from the Backlund line, because you just have to stop Mony’s Line. 

We have to win 2-1 or we almost don’t win. We don’t have the D to play that way. Get the PP going and that might change. But deeper in the playoffs, there are less pp opportunities.

Like MAC says, we are close, but not close enough. We have about 3-4 holes to fill. 

- 1st line RW. Some believe Ferland is, some not. I think playing him their screws with our depth.

- A Top4 D (maybe) we aren’t tough enough to play against.

- A solid 4th liner or two.

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Of that list i'd be interested in: Corey Perry, Silfverberg, Coyle,  and Neidereiter (basically the RH shots). I had exploratory interest in Pk Subban, Karlsson, Burakovsky and Galchenyuk but not interested in giving up a ton or giving up Bennett. I personally don't see the value in moving Bennett for another project, i'd rather give Bennett a better opportunity here. 

But I do have a lot of interest in all of Perry, Silfverberg, Coyle and Nino. Nino probably the preferred player of this list, unless Perry's contract allows you to get him cheaper. 

I do personally like Burakovsky as a player but I'm also reluctant with the idea of giving up assets to get another LS winger in the fold. He'd have to be really cheap, which I doubt he would be. 

21 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The need for those "right" 3 or 4 players will be essential in order for this team to be much better. I agree wholeheartedly we are close, very close and my hope is BT can deliver a better roster for BP to compliment the type of game which has our team reach peak performance.

I think we are all on the same page..

my belief is that had we maintained the level of play we showed we are capable of, this roster this year could have easily made 2nd round(unless we drew LV first round LOL)  but , with those right tweaks and the proper buy in on the system.. we are close to being downright deadly 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Of that list i'd be interested in: Corey Perry, Silfverberg, Coyle,  and Neidereiter (basically the RH shots). I had exploratory interest in Pk Subban, Karlsson, Burakovsky and Galchenyuk but not interested in giving up a ton or giving up Bennett. I personally don't see the value in moving Bennett for another project, i'd rather give Bennett a better opportunity here. 

But I do have a lot of interest in all of Perry, Silfverberg, Coyle and Nino. Nino probably the preferred player of this list, unless Perry's contract allows you to get him cheaper. 

Silfverberg has shown he can play on a team known for toughness.  Not that he's a gritty player, just that he's been able to produce in spite of games that are far too chippy.

He's a RHS, which also helps us on a team without many.  The ask would likely be Bennett.  Don't think they need Brodie at all.

I also like Nino, just wonder if another LHS RW makes a ton of sense for this team, unless we bring in a few RHS as well.

Wouldn't mind him on the RW in a PP. 

Coyle is due to have double surgery on his wrists?  Worried a bit about that.  May come out stronger, but it's still a concern.