The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

So I decided to channel my inner George McPhee and see if I can find a few forwards that maybe aren't getting a good enough look from their current team and could break out if given the chance.

Martin Frk: RHS RW, who put up 11 goals and 25 points in 68 games while averaging just over 10mins a night. That's solid production while playing on a 4th line. He is skilled but lacks consistency in the defensive end of the rink. 

Denis Malgin: Extremely skilled and shifty. He is small. Put up 11 goals and 22 points in 51 games while averaging 13:51mins a night. He is only 21 years old, so it is doubtful Florida would be willing to part with him.

Josh Leivo: Has never really been given a chance in Toronto, but he has put up 22 points in 57 career games. He has good size and skates well.

Jake Virtanen: Vancouver rushed Virtanen to NHL and have effectively dampened his upside. Might not be too late for him and he just seems like the type of player who needs a change. He has size, skating ability and a good shot.

Brett Connolly: Once was a 6th overall pick by Tampa, now he has turned into one of the best 4th liners in the entire league. He might be a guy who can give you more, if you give him more playing time and better linemates, if not he is still a great 3rd/4th liner.

Joel Armia: He has size and skill, once was a 1st round pick. He is another guy who could up his production with more playing time and he might just be a casualty of the impending cap crunch in Winnipeg.

Marko Dano: He can play all 3 forward positions, he has skill and has shown tenacity. Hasn't really ever been able to get his footing at the NHL level, and he might be passed over by other up and coming prospects in Winnipeg.

Josh Ho-Sang: Extremely skilled and extremely confident. Has been labeled as having attitude issues and a problem child. But when he been given his limited chances he has put up 22 points in 43 games mostly playing 3rd and 4th line minutes. I think he will reward the team that gives him the chance to play and play with skilled linemates.

• Like 2

One of my top UFA targets would be Matt Calvert.  Yes I know.  Kinda out of nowhere but we need a stud PK forward who has speed to burn and can chip in offensively from the 3rd/4th line.  He is what we wished Morgan Klimchuk already is but isn't.  He made $2.9-mil previously but i feel if CBJ decides to walk away then $2.5-mil-per for 2 years should get it done.

Calvert is a tremendous upgrade over someone like Curtis Lazar but just under the talents of Frolik... But even Frolik is trending downwards from two years ago.  For much of this past season, I felt the Flames had two solid lines but couldn't get the bottom 6 to score and contribute.  Calvert would be a great addition to that group.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

So I decided to channel my inner George McPhee and see if I can find a few forwards that maybe aren't getting a good enough look from their current team and could break out if given the chance.

Martin Frk: RHS RW, who put up 11 goals and 25 points in 68 games while averaging just over 10mins a night. That's solid production while playing on a 4th line. He is skilled but lacks consistency in the defensive end of the rink. 

Denis Malgin: Extremely skilled and shifty. He is small. Put up 11 goals and 22 points in 51 games while averaging 13:51mins a night. He is only 21 years old, so it is doubtful Florida would be willing to part with him.

Josh Leivo: Has never really been given a chance in Toronto, but he has put up 22 points in 57 career games. He has good size and skates well.

Jake Virtanen: Vancouver rushed Virtanen to NHL and have effectively dampened his upside. Might not be too late for him and he just seems like the type of player who needs a change. He has size, skating ability and a good shot.

Brett Connolly: Once was a 6th overall pick by Tampa, now he has turned into one of the best 4th liners in the entire league. He might be a guy who can give you more, if you give him more playing time and better linemates, if not he is still a great 3rd/4th liner.

Joel Armia: He has size and skill, once was a 1st round pick. He is another guy who could up his production with more playing time and he might just be a casualty of the impending cap crunch in Winnipeg.

Marko Dano: He can play all 3 forward positions, he has skill and has shown tenacity. Hasn't really ever been able to get his footing at the NHL level, and he might be passed over by other up and coming prospects in Winnipeg.

Josh Ho-Sang: Extremely skilled and extremely confident. Has been labeled as having attitude issues and a problem child. But when he been given his limited chances he has put up 22 points in 43 games mostly playing 3rd and 4th line minutes. I think he will reward the team that gives him the chance to play and play with skilled linemates.

I'd call Armia doubtful as Chevy likes him enough he insisted he be part of the return for Kane & Bogo. He works well with Lowry on that 3rd line as a shutdown guy while able to chip in points.

Dano is probably available for even a pick of some sort (say the later of the 2 4th rounders in 2019) as he'll likely be a victim of the #s game as the Jets have so many RFAs needing contracts this year but want to bring up kids from the AHL.

Another Jets RFA worth making an offer on is Brandon Tanev. Speedy, good 2 way game & busts his hump every shift. Not big but doesn't shy away from the rough stuff.  LHS that plays both wings but seems to prefer the right. Still improving & came alive in the playoffs with 6 points (4G & 2A) in 17 games. Another I see as falling victim to the #s game.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'd call Armia doubtful as Chevy likes him enough he insisted he be part of the return for Kane & Bogo. He works well with Lowry on that 3rd line as a shutdown guy while able to chip in points.

Dano is probably available for even a pick of some sort (say the later of the 2 4th rounders in 2019) as he'll likely be a victim of the #s game as the Jets have so many RFAs needing contracts this year but want to bring up kids from the AHL.

Another Jets RFA worth making an offer on is Brandon Tanev. Speedy, good 2 way game & busts his hump every shift. Not big but doesn't shy away from the rough stuff.  LHS that plays both wings but seems to prefer the right. Still improving & came alive in the playoffs with 6 points (4G & 2A) in 17 games. Another I see as falling victim to the #s game.

Tanev played with Janko at PC.  He was decent if not a prolific scorer there.

Would be fine for a 4th liner here.  I like his +/-.

Under normal circumstances I would agree that what hand a player shoots would not be of critical importance, however, the flames are not normal. From a forward perspective obviously, the Flames have no one on their roster they can deploy as a top 9 forward who is a RH shot. Heck you could easily argue the Flames don't have an RS NHLer on their entire roster at forward. The only other teams in the entire league you can say that about are probably Detroit and St Louis (and they at least have rookie Tage Thomopson who looks decent). Carolina/Edm are weak but they do have players like Lindholm, Puljujarvi, Strome, etc who you can at least deploy in the top 9 or should develop into top 6 players. That is some pretty bad company.

I think in order to score a lot of goals and to score some of the types of goalie that now get scored in the league you need that flexibility and I think the league is trending that way. Flames are falling well behind. 

What if both Brodie and Hamilton were put into play on the trade front ? Who would you target in a deal ? Here's mine.

Hamilton to TOR for Nylander RW and Kapanen RW

Brodie to BUF for Reinhart RW

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What if both Brodie and Hamilton were put into play on the trade front ? Who would you target in a deal ? Here's mine.

if we are even considering Hamilton , I want nothing less than Marner 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

if we are even considering Hamilton , I want nothing less than Marner 

You know what, Marner was a Hunter favorite and he may just be the one available if they truly want a top RHS-RD. I wouldn't dispute taking Marner at all but I wouldn't kill a deal if Nylander was offered.

18 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Goodness would their D core be awful after these moves....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Depends on how they would replace Hamilton and Brodie. Upfront we would be picking up a lot of potential firepower.

Giordano, Hamonic

Kulak, Stone

Valimaki, Andersson

There are a few UFAs that could be considered.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree, would need more moves to solidify D. Kind of a snowball effect of trading that looks like a dangerous game.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I agree, would need more moves to solidify D. Kind of a snowball effect of trading that looks like a dangerous game.

I heard Brodie and Hamilton were contributing factors to the poor attitude with the team. I have advocated for the trade of Brodie for 3 seasons now. Hamilton is not hard to see some of the poor attitude on display. It would be tough to take away his production but if he is part of a bigger problem then this has to be addressed.

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I heard Brodie and Hamilton were contributing factors to the poor attitude with the team. I have advocated for the trade of Brodie for 3 seasons now. Hamilton is not hard to see some of the poor attitude on display. It would be tough to take away his production but if he is part of a bigger problem then this has to be addressed.

Just have to be careful to not let rumours be treated as reality.

Maybe something we see as bad attitude is actually just disappointment.

Conroy said, "most of the team will be back next year".

28 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think my source is reliable from an insider POV but you are correct, moves such as these are significant and would have to be well thought out. You have to admit using them should be able to fix our RW situation top to bottom. We may even be a better team defensively without those two.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think my source is reliable from an insider POV but you are correct, moves such as these are significant and would have to be well thought out. You have to admit using them should be able to fix our RW situation top to bottom. We may even be a better team defensively without those two.

Not calling you on your source.

I do admit using them is likely the best way to get better at Forward.

But you can't ONLY do that. Would annihilate the D.

If ARI would listen on Chychrun and Fischer for Hamilton that's something I'd consider. Can put Brodie back on right and Chychrun-Hamonic.

AND you get a top 6 RW. but thinking we'd have to add.

ARI still has good prospects on the farm not far off.

There are also a lot of whispers that Kyl is closer than we think. In a '15 draft redo in the Athletic, Kyl jumps all the way to pick #30. That was a heck of a draft year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not calling you on your source.

I do admit using them is likely the best way to get better at Forward.

But you can't ONLY do that. Would annihilate the D.

If ARI would listen on Chychrun and Fischer for Hamilton that's something I'd consider. Can put Brodie back on right and Chychrun-Hamonic.

AND you get a top 6 RW. but thinking we'd have to add.

ARI still has good prospects on the farm not far off.

There are also a lot of whispers that Kyl is closer than we think. In a '15 draft redo in the Athletic, Kyl jumps all the way to pick #30. That was a heck of a draft year.

Lots of ways to skin a cat but if these two are indeed part of an attitude problem you have to remove them while getting a good deal. I would be shocked if ARZ traded any of their young defensemen. Plus if I'm trading them it is to East teams.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Lots of ways to skin a cat...

To a lexicographer, all phrases are interesting, it’s just that some of them are more interesting than others ...

There are many versions of this proverb, which suggests there are always several ways to do something. Charles Kingsley used one old British form in Westward Ho! in 1855: “there are more ways of killing a cat than choking it with cream”. Other versions include “there are more ways of killing a cat than by choking it with butter”, and “there are more ways of killing a dog than choking him with pudding”. The earliest version appears as far back as 1678, in the second edition of John Ray’s collection of English proverbs, in which he gives it as “there are more ways to kill a dog than hanging”.

Mark Twain used your version in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court in 1889: “she was wise, subtle, and knew more than one way to skin a cat”, that is, more than one way to get what she wanted. An earlier appearance is in ’Way down East; or, Portraitures of Yankee Life by Seba Smith of about 1854: “This is a money digging world of ours; and, as it is said, ‘there are more ways than one to skin a cat,’ so are there more ways than one of digging for money”. From the way he writes, the author clearly knew this to be a well-known existing proverbial saying.

Writers have pointed to its use in the southern states of the US in reference to the catfish, often abbreviated to cat, a fish that is indeed usually skinned in preparing it for eating. However, it looks very much from the multiple versions of the saying, their wide distribution and their age, that this is just a local application of the proverb.

The version more than one way to skin a cat seems to have nothing directly to do with the American English term to skin a cat, which is to perform a gymnastic exercise that involves passing the feet and legs between the arms while hanging by the hands from a horizontal bar. That name may have been suggested by the action of turning an animal’s skin inside out as part of the process of removing it from the body.

Source: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-mor1.htm

Love. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Lots of ways to skin a cat but if these two are indeed part of an attitude problem you have to remove them while getting a good deal. I would be shocked if ARZ traded any of their young defensemen. Plus if I'm trading them it is to East teams.

Getting Hams in return though.

OEL-Hjalmmerson

Goligoski-Hams

Capobianco-Demers, lest they re-sign Schenn.

They have some good D prospects on the farm as well in Joseph and Dineen.

I may be talking out my butt but I think that's the vicinity of the return we'd need on Hams.

Can't just cut off our nose to spite our face.

And if my LD is

Gio

Chychrun

Kulak

I'm pretty happy. Chychrun could take the mantle learning under Gio/Hamonic would be ideal imho.

It might be a dream, but it's my dream:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heartbreaker said:

To a lexicographer, all phrases are interesting, it’s just that some of them are more interesting than others ...

There are many versions of this proverb, which suggests there are always several ways to do something. Charles Kingsley used one old British form in Westward Ho! in 1855: “there are more ways of killing a cat than choking it with cream”. Other versions include “there are more ways of killing a cat than by choking it with butter”, and “there are more ways of killing a dog than choking him with pudding”. The earliest version appears as far back as 1678, in the second edition of John Ray’s collection of English proverbs, in which he gives it as “there are more ways to kill a dog than hanging”.

Mark Twain used your version in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court in 1889: “she was wise, subtle, and knew more than one way to skin a cat”, that is, more than one way to get what she wanted. An earlier appearance is in ’Way down East; or, Portraitures of Yankee Life by Seba Smith of about 1854: “This is a money digging world of ours; and, as it is said, ‘there are more ways than one to skin a cat,’ so are there more ways than one of digging for money”. From the way he writes, the author clearly knew this to be a well-known existing proverbial saying.

Writers have pointed to its use in the southern states of the US in reference to the catfish, often abbreviated to cat, a fish that is indeed usually skinned in preparing it for eating. However, it looks very much from the multiple versions of the saying, their wide distribution and their age, that this is just a local application of the proverb.

The version more than one way to skin a cat seems to have nothing directly to do with the American English term to skin a cat, which is to perform a gymnastic exercise that involves passing the feet and legs between the arms while hanging by the hands from a horizontal bar. That name may have been suggested by the action of turning an animal’s skin inside out as part of the process of removing it from the body.

Source: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-mor1.htm

Love. 

Who doesn't love word-smithies?

How about, "don't throw out the baby with the bath water"?

Seems disgusting now how that came to pass, but yeah...

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Getting Hams in return though.

OEL-Hjalmmerson

Goligoski-Hams

Capobianco-Demers, lest they re-sign Schenn.

They have some good D prospects on the farm as well in Joseph and Dineen.

I may be talking out my butt but I think that's the vicinity of the return we'd need on Hams.

Can't just cut off our nose to spite our face.

And if my LD is

Gio

Chychrun

Kulak

I'm pretty happy. Chychrun could take the mantle learning under Gio/Hamonic would be ideal imho.

It might be a dream, but it's my dream:)

I think we will be fine with Valimaki joining the ranks soon. If he isn't deemed ready maybe get someone like Hamhuis for a season. I think TOR has more to offer us in a Hamilton deal if they want him.

Just now, MAC331 said:

I think we will be fine with Valimaki joining the ranks soon. If he isn't deemed ready maybe get someone like Hamhuis for a season. I think TOR has more to offer us in a Hamilton deal if they want him.

I mean this as a joke, so don't be offended. There's more than one team in the league:lol:

You can't seem to get over Toronto.

Go read TML fans, they are not down with what we think the return should be.

Toronto*spit* might just be my least favourite team, if you haven't noticed. Let them choke on all of those contracts.

39 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

if you're referring to his interview on the Fan -- he also said " we need to make a Hockey Trade ", and " we need a scoring winger "  :)

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I mean this as a joke, so don't be offended. There's more than one team in the league:lol:

You can't seem to get over Toronto.

Go read TML fans, they are not down with what we think the return should be.

Toronto*spit* might just be my least favourite team, if you haven't noticed. Let them choke on all of those contracts.

I know but they have the players I would be after and like Phaneuf maybe they deserve another one as in Hamilton. I am just saying if they are willing to deal any of Marner, Nylander or Kapanen in a deal BT should listen. I would also be curious what CAR would be willing to move for Hamilton. Yes I am aware there are other trade situations available should Hamilton be a serious consideration. Personally I would find it hard to give up Hamilton's production but if he is a distraction he would best be gone.

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

if you're referring to his interview on the Fan -- he also said " we need to make a Hockey Trade ", and " we need a scoring winger "  :)

Yup. Sorry, I didn't mean to cherry-pick.

So Chychrun and Fischer for Hams it is.:lol:

Christian Fischer is some kinda hockey player, he's only going to get better.

If that's something we could do, I'd throw as much as Ferland in. They might want Rittich instead, whatevs.

They say the team that got the best player won the trade. Hamilton's the best, until we revisit the trade in a couple of years.