The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

10 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Exactly.  Why all the love for Wilson?  If you look at what he does and his stats he's like a slower Ferland-lite, just way more over-the-edge hits.  I'd focus more on skill and speed upgrades.  With Ferland, Bennett and Tkachuk we already have a great start on hard to play against/agitator.

Not that we have any chance for Wilson but to say he is any less of a player than Ferland is wrong. I would have Wilson on my team any day.

BTW Wilson is not a slow skater either.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Wilson single-handedly destroyed Vegas's "first line" with a cheapshot on Marchessault.  That hit won't get considered a key play overall by the masses but we all know Marchessault has not been the same since.  He's either hurt, scared, or both.  It was a dirty hit but it came from a guy who understands what it takes to win.  He pretty much injured the entire Pens blueline to send the Caps to the Finals.

Had the Caps been "nice" like they always have been in the playoffs, they wouldn't be on their way to hoisting the Cup in a week.  And, let's face it, the Flames are too "nice".  

Like I already said, we have multiple guys that can do the same.  Need upgrades.  If you want more, how about Perry, skill AND over-the-edge in one package.  Or, load up an offer and go for Tkachuk2 in the draft.  Make it an internal competition to outdo each other every shift?

29 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Not that we have any chance for Wilson but to say he is any less of a player than Ferland is wrong. I would have Wilson on my team any day.

BTW Wilson is not a slow skater either.

He is less of a player, compare the results. Ferland does everything Wilson does, but better.  Sure, I wouldn’t mind him on the team either, but how many guys like that do you really need?

10 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Like I already said, we have multiple guys that can do the same.  Need upgrades. 

Who?  who do we have that will step up and make Wilson pay if he did that to Johnny?

Who do we have that will make a Lucic think twice about slashing Gio and taking a run at our goalie ?

On that same note .. Vegas is likely going to lose this series, and I'll say a big reason why is nobody stepped up and made Wilson pay for that . They've been manhandling them since .

Yes I know I'm campaigning for Reaves , and Reaves is on that team and did nothing .. but i'm thinking Gallant is responsible for that.

add to that , Washington was taking liberties with MAF all night ... nobody made them pay for it 

McNabb got crosschecked in the head.. nobody made them pay for it ... they lost the game , and now losing the series , because they are losing the head battle

• Like 1

I'm not buying the Wilson hit has turned the series.

The Caps are playing fantastic hockey. It takes a team effort to be suffocating, and that was last night for sure.

Where can we find a Kuznetzov??

• Like 1

On 2018-06-02 at 8:47 AM, cross16 said:

Why?

I think we've lost the big picture here. Flames are entering their 6th seasons since the rebuild, made the playoffs twice, should have a playoff team on paper, and have have many young players with good uspdie to their games ready for a shot. 

Sure, you'd love a sure thing in net, but I think overal this team is where it should be. I really think the flames are on the cusp of moving into a really solid and consistent contender franchise but in order to do that it's going to be by devoroping the jankowskis, bennetts, dubes, mangiapanes etc. 

Yes, exactly.  Every team has expectations and questions to start a season.  It’s those that either don’t encounter serious issues (Edmonton 2017) or those with enough depth or flexibility to overcome adversity that succeed.  Others that can’t flounder and fall by the wayside (2017 Jets, 2018 Flames).

1 minute ago, cccsberg said:

He is less of a player, compare the results. Ferland does everything Wilson does, but better.  Sure, I wouldn’t mind him on the team either, but how many guys like that do you really need?

What results ? and what is it Ferland does better ? I would like to have 2 defensemen and 4 forwards at a minimum that are hard to play against and the opposition fears. I think we have a few coming in Tuulola and Fischer soon.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The Caps are playing fantastic hockey. It takes a team effort to be suffocating, and that was last night for sure.

see my post above.. i think he totally turned it (as well as "the save)

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It all plays into the effort to win.

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Who?  who do we have that will step up and make Wilson pay if he did that to Johnny?

Who do we have that will make a Lucic think twice about slashing Gio and taking a run at our goalie ?

On that same note .. Vegas is likely going to lose this series, and I'll say a big reason why is nobody stepped up and made Wilson pay for that . They've been manhandling them since .

Yes I know I'm campaigning for Reaves , and Reaves is on that team and did nothing .. but i'm thinking Gallant is responsible for that.

add to that , Washington was taking liberties with MAF all night ... nobody made them pay for it 

McNabb got crosschecked in the head.. nobody made them pay for it ... they lost the game , and now losing the series , because they are losing the head battle

You are right on as far as last night’s game.  Fluery got hit many times and no response.  I’ll also agree Washington is best when they run over people.  If the refs let it go you have to make them pay via the PP or fight back.  

As as far as the Flames go, we have multiple guys that can fight back, and it doesn’t have to be against their tuffs.  Take out their goalie or top-liners works even better.  Maybe they’ll re-sign Stewart?

6 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Yes, exactly.  Every team has expectations and questions to start a season.  It’s those that either don’t encounter serious issues (Edmonton 2017) or those with enough depth or flexibility to overcome adversity that succeed.  Others that can’t flounder and fall by the wayside (2017 Jets, 2018 Flames).

As fans we only see the on ice product and try to assess on our own what is happening. In cross16's post about it being 6 seasons since the rebuild should actually mean "since the decision was to rebuild" we have been building during these past 6 season. All has not been a smooth road starting with BT's fumbling of our Goalie situations. Working our way out of bad veteran contracts IMO has caused delays and hindered progress. Bringing the wrong UFAs hasn't excelled with the process either. This offseason with the buyout of Brouwer (fingers crossed) and a few significant trades could really launch this team forward towards being a consistent contender.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

You are right on as far as last night’s game.  Fluery got hit many times and no response.  I’ll also agree Washington is best when they run over people.  If the refs let it go you have to make them pay via the PP or fight back.  

As as far as the Flames go, we have multiple guys that can fight back, and it doesn’t have to be against their tuffs.  Take out their goalie or top-liners works even better.  Maybe they’ll re-sign Stewart?

you need to be able to back up that game tho,  if you are going to retaliate against the other teams players you also need to be responsible to answer the bell. If we respond against a Laine for example?  you have to deal with Buff. McDavid?.. Lucic.. etc..    an ya, I'm actually good with Stewart too, but that wasn't very popular . I'm still hoping for that (or better)

I guarantee , that as soon as Wilson made that hit (even if it was clean) ..his head was on a swivel.. looking for Reaves .. as soon as they realized no retaliation was coming , it all changed . they are being manhandled . If Vegas doesnt come out and assert their will next game,   this series is over 

Here's what BT needs to do this month;

-Make a few trades : Trade Stone and eat salary if you need to. The return should be a 3rd round pick. Chicago got a 3rd for an unknown in Kempny at the TDL, Stone is at least worth a 3rd. That gives you a spot for Andersson, Valimaki or Kylington to graduate. Also get the best top 6 winger you can for Brodie. I don't care for handedness I just want the best possible player, if that's Pacioretty or Simmonds great. 

-Sign a D to a 1 yr deal in free agency- This might be a long shot, but sign a UFA D to a 1 yr deal at a high AAV to keep the term to 1. Sure Valimaki and Kylington might be ready, but I don't really trust Kulak, Andersson and Kylington as 3 of my top 6 at this time. De Haan could be a prime candidate for a 1 year deal as he is coming off a season lost to injury. Other options include, Johnson, Hickey, Cole, Kempny. IMO no sense rushing Valimaki and I hear Kylington is close, but I believe you can never play a player too long in the minors. Injuries will happen and those 2 will get some games

An example of your D could be

Gio-Hamilton

De Haan-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

-Sign a 4th line C: All signs point to Derek Ryan, which I'm fine with. Ideally a 2 year deal at an AAV below 2. Another option is Beagle.

-Find the 5th player for our 1st PP unit: This kind of goes hand in hand with making a trade, but I think our top PP is only missing one piece. 

Right now my unit would be

Tkachuk-Monahan-?

Gaudreau-Hamilton

My ideal player is one with a quick release that could really help our PP. I know Ward has said already he prefers a shooting mentality and pucks to the net on the PP as opposed to the big one timer. That being said we don't have anyone other than Hamilton that is a big one timer threat. Monahan has a tremendous shot but he isn't known for having the quickest release. With that in mind, my top pick would be Pacioretty. 

58 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

26th overall in 2010 is where. We would’ve picked 13th overall but we traded for Jokinen using our 2009 or 2010 draft pick. We chose to keep the 2009 and sent the 2010 one. And we basically drafted Tim Erixon with it.

We say, “oh it’s just a late first rounder,” but giving away these picks can make or break you. Wasn’t that the 2nd go around with Jokinen as well? 

Id still prefer to have Barzal in the long run.

edit it:

althogh ugh we had a chance to Draft Kucherov and we drafted Witherspoon the very pick before, so what does our scouts know?

our scouts maybe good at finding some NHL talent, but no game breakers in the late first or later rounds. I don’t count Johnny because everyone wanted him, it was just a matter of who jumps on him first. Other teams outwaited too long.

30 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

you need to be able to back up that game tho,  if you are going to retaliate against the other teams players you also need to be responsible to answer the bell. If we respond against a Laine for example?  you have to deal with Buff. McDavid?.. Lucic.. etc..    an ya, I'm actually good with Stewart too, but that wasn't very popular . I'm still hoping for that (or better)

I guarantee , that as soon as Wilson made that hit (even if it was clean) ..his head was on a swivel.. looking for Reaves .. as soon as they realized no retaliation was coming , it all changed . they are being manhandled . If Vegas doesnt come out and assert their will next game,   this series is over 

We are a soft team when it comes to backing up our guys. 

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

26th overall in 2010 is where. We would’ve picked 13th overall but we traded for Jokinen using our 2009 or 2010 draft pick. We chose to keep the 2009 and sent the 2010 one. And we basically drafted Tim Erixon with it.

We say, “oh it’s just a late first rounder,” but giving away these picks can make or break you. Wasn’t that the 2nd go around with Jokinen as well? 

Id still prefer to have Barzal in the long run.

well to be fair.. this was the Sutter era.. no way he drafts a Russian forward with his 1st round pick.. we would have chosen a Big western boy that was never to heard from again. I was actually shocked he even took Erixon

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Here's what BT needs to do this month;

-Make a few trades : Trade Stone and eat salary if you need to. The return should be a 3rd round pick. Chicago got a 3rd for an unknown in Kempny at the TDL, Stone is at least worth a 3rd. That gives you a spot for Andersson, Valimaki or Kylington to graduate. Also get the best top 6 winger you can for Brodie. I don't care for handedness I just want the best possible player, if that's Pacioretty or Simmonds great. 

-Sign a D to a 1 yr deal in free agency- This might be a long shot, but sign a UFA D to a 1 yr deal at a high AAV to keep the term to 1. Sure Valimaki and Kylington might be ready, but I don't really trust Kulak, Andersson and Kylington as 3 of my top 6 at this time. De Haan could be a prime candidate for a 1 year deal as he is coming off a season lost to injury. Other options include, Johnson, Hickey, Cole, Kempny. IMO no sense rushing Valimaki and I hear Kylington is close, but I believe you can never play a player too long in the minors. Injuries will happen and those 2 will get some games

An example of your D could be

Gio-Hamilton

De Haan-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

-Sign a 4th line C: All signs point to Derek Ryan, which I'm fine with. Ideally a 2 year deal at an AAV below 2. Another option is Beagle.

-Find the 5th player for our 1st PP unit: This kind of goes hand in hand with making a trade, but I think our top PP is only missing one piece. 

Right now my unit would be

Tkachuk-Monahan-?

Gaudreau-Hamilton

My ideal player is one with a quick release that could really help our PP. I know Ward has said already he prefers a shooting mentality and pucks to the net on the PP as opposed to the big one timer. That being said we don't have anyone other than Hamilton that is a big one timer threat. Monahan has a tremendous shot but he isn't known for having the quickest release. With that in mind, my top pick would be Pacioretty. 

I think BT has some tougher decisions than we all realize. First he needs to address which players in the room lead to the "lack of emotional investment" and trade them. We may see him do this prior to the Draft so he arms himself with some higher level selections. I have found it is never the "obvious" to us moves that are made.

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We are a soft team when it comes to backing up our guys. 

What do mean ? our players coming in saying "hey don't do that" doesn't work ? LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Ya man.  Gaudreau gets slashed all the time and we don't have a guy who will cross-check them back in the teeth. 

Ferland?  Not even man.  He will fight but he plays clean.  Plus, he's one little hit in the head away from end of career.

Tkachuk?  Sure but he hurts us if he's suspended.  We need someone less skilled to be doing the dirty work.  

Hathaway?  Close but he plays too clean.  I wish he would change his game a bit and start hitting higher, leaving his feet here and there.  Get the stick up.

54 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

well to be fair.. this was the Sutter era.. no way he drafts a Russian forward with his 1st round pick.. we would have chosen a Big western boy that was never to heard from again. I was actually shocked he even took Erixon

It just goes to show how important patience and keeping your picks are.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Or, maybe someone like... Brandon Gormley? 

Love. 

We had the 2nd most fighting majors in the league last year, we had no problem sticking for our players. Did having Reaves stop Wilson from taking a cheap shot at Marchesault? Even if we did have a player like Reaves or Wilson, guys like Buff and Lucic are still going to do what they do, they way you even the score is on the score board. I am all for having toughness, but you can't toughness in place of being able to actually play the game. 

Toughness or the imagined lack of toughness had nothing to do with the fact that we didn't make the playoffs this year. There are plenty of reasons we aren't in the playoffs, toughness just isn't one of them. How about the fact that only Buffalo, Montreal, Arizona and Vancouver scored less goals 5v5 than we did. How about the fact that we had the 3rd worst PP in the league. How about the fact that we had the 3rd worst shooting percentage in the league.

To me it seems like we have a lack of skill issue more than we have a lack of toughness issue.

Just to add we also had the 11th worst save percentage in the league, while facing the 10th fewest shots per game. 

The running theme from teams like LA, Anaheim, and Edmonton so far this offseason, has been that they need to get faster and more skilled, those teams combined with Vegas, Arizona and Vanouver are focusing on speed and skill, if we don't do the same we will fall behind very quickly. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

We had the 2nd most fighting majors in the league last year, we had no problem sticking for our players. Did having Reaves stop Wilson from taking a cheap shot at Marchesault? Even if we did have a player like Reaves or Wilson, guys like Buff and Lucic are still going to do what they do, they way you even the score is on the score board. I am all for having toughness, but you can't toughness in place of being able to actually play the game. 

Toughness or the imagined lack of toughness had nothing to do with the fact that we didn't make the playoffs this year. There are plenty of reasons we aren't in the playoffs, toughness just isn't one of them. How about the fact that only Buffalo, Montreal, Arizona and Vancouver scored less goals 5v5 than we did. How about the fact that we had the 3rd worst PP in the league. How about the fact that we had the 3rd worst shooting percentage in the league.

To me it seems like we have a lack of skill issue more than we have a lack of toughness issue.

Just to add we also had the 11th worst save percentage in the league, while facing the 10th fewest shots per game. 

The running theme from teams like LA, Anaheim, and Edmonton so far this offseason, has been that they need to get faster and more skilled, those teams combined with Vegas, Arizona and Vanouver are focusing on speed and skill, if we don't do the same we will fall behind very quickly. 

Pure genius JTech tell us what we don't know. A team needs a lot of different elements, not just skill and speed alone either. Sport is a battle and if you don't have an answer for what your opposition throws at you, you leave yourself exposed. Could we use more skill, yes. Could we use better defense, yes, could we use more pure scorers yes and we need players that will carry out an aggressive hitting forecheck to boot. You are right about one thing there were a lot of reason this past team never made the playoffs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I feel like they’re all already nearly caught up. Van is just a bit younger in their core group and a few players away from being even with us. They’ll probably get those players in this draft. They’ll just be a few years behind because they’re a bit younger. We will top out before then, but how far can we go when we top out?