The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Dude, you brought up the trade.  

I don't know why teams trade good players but they do. Rumor is the GM wants to shake things up there, maybe he wants more experience, maybe Coyle is like Ferland an accident away. You want to question my logic that is fine, don't come off like it is the stupidest thing you ever heard.

4 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Nope.  This is the third team to give up on him, and he is only 22.  Something isn’t right there.  He’s also three seasons removed from his only good season.

That's fair, I thought he was a righty but after looking him up I immediately soured what I saw Left hand LW

On 10/22/2015 at 4:03 PM, MAC331 said:

Some players that might be a fit for us.

PHI - Luke and Braydon Schenn

PIT - Beau Bennett

OTT - Curtis Lazur

Figured I'd go back in time to pass the time, and it turns out that on page 1, MAC called it!

Love. 

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I woudln't give him the Kane deal either but I also think you may get him closer to 6 mill which I would give him in a heartbeat. He's a top line talent IMO and can play either wing. 

Calvert is free but honestly I think Bennett is the better player., at worth they are similar. I wouldn't bring in Calvert at the expense of working with Bennett. I'd probably even look at Mangiapane as a 3rd line option before Calvert. Nothing against him, I just don't like the idea of more money to bottom 6 guys because I agree with you salaries are on their way up again. 

I don't see top line talent in Zucker.  He scores by working hard, not working smart.  He is fast and is dangerous that way but... I dunno, I don't have that kind of respect for his raw skills.  

36 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Figured I'd go back in time to pass the time, and it turns out that on page 1, MAC called it!

Love. 

You review posts from 2015!? For reals, is this my wife posting? She is the only one I know who can go back years like that and remind me of things I said back in 2015 (0r 2009). She somehow does it in her head though. Truly amazing. 

7 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

You review posts from 2015!? For reals, is this my wife posting? She is the only one I know who can go back years like that and remind me of things I said back in 2015 (0r 2009). She somehow does it in her head though. Truly amazing. 

Nah, I just was curious about page 1. I wanted to see how the team has changed since the thread was created. There's a lot of Kris Russell and Jiri Hudler on that page. 

I would definitely be more embarrassed if I'd pulled a post from page 179. 

Love. 

49 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't see top line talent in Zucker.  He scores by working hard, not working smart.  He is fast and is dangerous that way but... I dunno, I don't have that kind of respect for his raw skills.  

Then play him on the 2nd or 3rd line. I don't see a downside to adding a forward who wears his hard hat to work. 

Mzarek not qualified by the Flyers.

Any interest as a FA?

Not worth the money he was paid.

As a backup, do you think the value is there at $2m or less?

19 minutes ago, TrippinVdUb said:

Then play him on the 2nd or 3rd line. I don't see a downside to adding a forward who wears his hard hat to work. 

But pay him $6-mil?

To each their own, but for what's its worth at 5 on 5 the last 2 season Zucker's production has mirrored Monahan's. His jump in points from 2 years ago to last year results on him actually getting PP time that he was not there before. I don't think 30 goals and 60 points is a fluke and the numbers would seem to back that up. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

To each their own, but for what's its worth at 5 on 5 the last 2 season Zucker's production has mirrored Monahan's. His jump in points from 2 years ago to last year results on him actually getting PP time that he was not there before. I don't think 30 goals and 60 points is a fluke and the numbers would seem to back that up. 

I dont think it was either. He's  progressed every year that he's been in the league. I'd like to see what Chuckys contract looks like before hand but in the same breath I'm not that patient. In the few games I seen the wild last season, Zucker looked dynamic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrippinVdUb said:

I dont think it was either. He's  progressed every year that he's been in the league. I'd like to see what Chuckys contract looks like before hand but in the same breath I'm not that patient. In the few games I seen the wild last season, Zucker looked dynamic. 

I agree. I've been a fan for a while. He's quick strike which is something the Flames don't have much of in their forward ranks. 

Might be a unique opportunity as well because the buzz is the Wild want anyone interested to take Ennis. Flames can do that and fit both salaries in provided they move Stone/Buyout Brouwer and keep LIndholm/Hanifin reasonable. May be an opportunity to get a higher end talent for a "discount". 

4 hours ago, TrippinVdUb said:

Word is that Minny is shopping a roster player on the terms that a team takes back Tyler Ennis, have to wonder then what the cost of someone like Coyle or Nino (2 guys this board loves) would be in a deal like that. It is a bit of a head scratcher, I think Ennis is only signed for one more season but how good would either of those guys look?

Jh/Mony/El Nino 

Chucky/Backs/Lindholm

Benny/Janks/Frolik

And if it's Coyle push every one on the right up a spot and play him with Benny and Janks

Nino and Ennis would be a good add (Nino mostly), but we would need to subtract a minimum of 2 players from our side.

Lazar, Brouwer ($2m retained) and Stone for the pair.  They would save $3m in cap this year.

Would likely need to include a top prospect.  Perhaps Kylington would do the trick.

If not, I don't think we could pull off this trade.

Wonder if we are in on Vanek. Had a big bounce back season. At age 34 I'd be willing to give him a 1 year deal at 3-4.

Certainly would help our 2nd unit as right now we would not have a right shot on it

PP1

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm

Brodie-Gaudreau

PP 2

Bennett-Backlund-Jankowski

Hanifin-Vanek

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Wonder if we are in on Vanek. Had a big bounce back season. At age 34 I'd be willing to give him a 1 year deal at 3-4.

Certainly would help our 2nd unit as right now we would not have a right shot on it

PP1

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm

Brodie-Gaudreau

PP 2

Bennett-Backlund-Jankowski

Hanifin-Vanek

He’s a bit slow for my liking, but if he would do a one year deal I’d be game.  I suspect someone will offer more though, probably signs for 3 years, which is too many for me as I think he will slow down more by the end.

• Like 1

Vanek has been available for years for cheap and has fit needs for the Flames and they've continued to pass. I'll be very surprised if that changed now., I don't see why it would

Odds are, Calgary is inquiring about Zucker (Western Canadian interest, so either Calgary. Edmonton, or Vancouver). If part of the cost to take Zucker is Ennis for one year, I'd consider it. The downside is, this would likely cost us someone like Frolik or Bennett (Though Zucker+Ennis for Bennett +Stone/Brouwer with Salary Retained would be worth considering).

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

I agree. I've been a fan for a while. He's quick strike which is something the Flames don't have much of in their forward ranks. 

Might be a unique opportunity as well because the buzz is the Wild want anyone interested to take Ennis. Flames can do that and fit both salaries in provided they move Stone/Buyout Brouwer and keep LIndholm/Hanifin reasonable. May be an opportunity to get a higher end talent for a "discount". 

I get that he would help improve the team.  What would the cost be for Zucker/Ennis?  Starts with Bennett, I presume.  Bennett/Stone and a prospect?

Add in Lazar to reduce the Flames number of roster players.

I just can't see them giving him away just for taking Ennis.  

What I don't like is he has arbitration rights.  If he goes there, he will get a good number.  Probably worth it, but I ahate those 1-2 year deals.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I get that he would help improve the team.  What would the cost be for Zucker/Ennis?  Starts with Bennett, I presume.  Bennett/Stone and a prospect?

Add in Lazar to reduce the Flames number of roster players.

I just can't see them giving him away just for taking Ennis.  

What I don't like is he has arbitration rights.  If he goes there, he will get a good number.  Probably worth it, but I ahate those 1-2 year deals.

My thinkint was the package centers around Bennett/Janko. Obviously i prefer they take Janko but i'd be open to Bennett as even if Bennett turns it around I think Zucker is as good. I don't think Stone is an option as they need to keep salaries down, you'd need to move him desperately to clear some space. Bennett and another piece I think starts the conversation given that apparently Domi and Dvorak almost landed BOTH Zucker and Nino. 

He is a target I like but i'd need to nkow more to pull the trigger. I assume he's looking for 6-6.5 mill AAV on his deal and while i'm comfortable with that i'd need to know that for sure. As you mention arbitration is always a thought, but in this case because i'm interested in the long term deal I don't see it as an issue but it's work you'd have to do. So some drawbacks for sure, but as a player I think its a great fit and I could see a deal potentially being worked out if they are that desperate to move Ennis because the Flames can make it work to acquire Zucker and Ennis. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

My thinkint was the package centers around Bennett/Janko. Obviously i prefer they take Janko but i'd be open to Bennett as even if Bennett turns it around I think Zucker is as good. I don't think Stone is an option as they need to keep salaries down, you'd need to move him desperately to clear some space. Bennett and another piece I think starts the conversation given that apparently Domi and Dvorak almost landed BOTH Zucker and Nino. 

He is a target I like but i'd need to nkow more to pull the trigger. I assume he's looking for 6-6.5 mill AAV on his deal and while i'm comfortable with that i'd need to know that for sure. As you mention arbitration is always a thought, but in this case because i'm interested in the long term deal I don't see it as an issue but it's work you'd have to do. So some drawbacks for sure, but as a player I think its a great fit and I could see a deal potentially being worked out if they are that desperate to move Ennis because the Flames can make it work to acquire Zucker and Ennis. 

Even if Bennett still struggles scoring, he is a hard to play against sob which is the direction the team seems to be going, along with speed.  I seriously doubt he will be traded.

55 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Even if Bennett still struggles scoring, he is a hard to play against sob which is the direction the team seems to be going, along with speed.  I seriously doubt he will be traded.

I hope not.

Peters made some interesting comments regarding Derek Ryan on the Fan this morning. He said something to the effect that a lot of teams will be interested in Ryan and hopefully him being western guy give us a leg up. He also said that he doesn't see him as a PK guy, he can play on the PK, but he just doesn't see him as a PK guy. That last comment kind of caught my attention, because I thought that the PK was one of the main reasons to get Ryan.

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Peters made some interesting comments regarding Derek Ryan on the Fan this morning. He said something to the effect that a lot of teams will be interested in Ryan and hopefully him being western guy give us a leg up. He also said that he doesn't see him as a PK guy, he can play on the PK, but he just doesn't see him as a PK guy. That last comment kind of caught my attention, because I thought that the PK was one of the main reasons to get Ryan.

Between his comment about help coming for the PP via Free agency and his utilization of Ryan on the Canes it sounds like Peters views Ryan as more of a PP guy, which I would suggest is slightly worrisome. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Ryan hard for me to see him as the best use of PP minutes, even though he's had some success there. 

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Between his comment about help coming for the PP via Free agency and his utilization of Ryan on the Canes it sounds like Peters views Ryan as more of a PP guy, which I would suggest is slightly worrisome. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Ryan hard for me to see him as the best use of PP minutes, even though he's had some success there. 

Slightly?! 

I think that just red flagged Ryan for me.