The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

More likely our next Rico Fata.

Youre a poor judge of talent. Bennett will be way better than Fata. He’s already a 1000x better. He has actually played 3full years.

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would trade Bennett if it meant getting Zucker. Zucker is already the player we all hope that Bennett could be. I think we would all be thrilled if Bennett chipped in 33 goals and 64 points like Zucker did last year, the problem is Bennett hasn't come close to showing anything like that, could he get to those totals, absolutely, will he, I have no clue. I will take the sure thing in Zucker.

What I worry about with Bennett is we haven't seen anything resembling a break out.  Blame it on development or linemates or whatever, but he should be the best player on any line he's been on.  If he has that NHL skill level.  Maybe he has.  I'm not saying that Janko is better already, because that's not a real comparison.  

He'll be on his 3rd NHL coach, okay 2nd if you don;t consider Gully a NHL coach.  At some point, you have to decide what you have and make the right choice.  Play him top line, play him with Backlund for a defensive style player, use him for depth, or trade him if his value is high enough.

Would you (not specifically you JT) have been okay in trading Hammy and Bennett for Hanifan and Lindholm?  IN theory, Bennett should have had the same value as Ferland. 

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I actually think Hamilton is a good defender.  He gets stereotyped by the type of defensemen he is and from earlier performance in his younger days.  Where he hurt us the most was after he won the puck battles.  A lot of risky/dumb/dangerous passes.  Almost over confidence he can pull off magic.  

But from a pure shut down defending standpoint, he is actually okay.  Not elite but pretty okay.

I am not seeing that defensive side of the game. For me he doesn't read the play very well defensively and is quite often out of position. He is also extremely soft.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What I worry about with Bennett is we haven't seen anything resembling a break out.  Blame it on development or linemates or whatever, but he should be the best player on any line he's been on.  If he has that NHL skill level.  Maybe he has.  I'm not saying that Janko is better already, because that's not a real comparison.  

He'll be on his 3rd NHL coach, okay 2nd if you don;t consider Gully a NHL coach.  At some point, you have to decide what you have and make the right choice.  Play him top line, play him with Backlund for a defensive style player, use him for depth, or trade him if his value is high enough.

Would you (not specifically you JT) have been okay in trading Hammy and Bennett for Hanifan and Lindholm?  IN theory, Bennett should have had the same value as Ferland. 

I wouldn't make that trade, I like Bennett better than Ferland and I am not a huge fan of Fox.

There is currently a discussion happening on Reddit... Apparently Ryan Reaves has been spotted in Calgary, and was at dinner with Treliving, McGratton, and Conroy. 

Hopefully just someone stirring the pot? 

Love. 

36 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

There is currently a discussion happening on Reddit... Apparently Ryan Reaves has been spotted in Calgary, and was at dinner with Treliving, McGratton, and Conroy. 

Love. 

I feel another Brouwer deal coming on.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I am not seeing that defensive side of the game. For me he doesn't read the play very well defensively and is quite often out of position. He is also extremely soft.

He's come a long way.  Not to say he's stud shut down, don't get me wrong.  He's adequate.  If the Flames had to put a RHS RD on the ice for the last minute of a game to defend a lead, it would be Hamilton.  Not Hamonic and not Stone.  Certainly not Andersson.  

Again, Hamilton hurt us most when he has the puck and when he takes bad penalties.  He's still got a lot of room to grow and learn.

49 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

Meh, he didn't get the job done against Tom Wilson and DSP.  He failed when it mattered the most.  I don't want him on my team.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

More likely our next Rico Fata.

Ouch. Fata had amazing speed. He just couldn't carry the puck at that speed. 

53 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

Please tell me that this isn't true. It can't be true. 

I could probably handle signing Reaves of it was to a 1 year, $1m deal anything longer or for more money and I am out. I get the idea that we need toughness, especially now that Ferland is gone, but let's not overpay because he had 2 goals in the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

Why? I thought we we're looking for secondary scoring, not face punchers?

Edit:

I say that now but if he lays out Kassian, he could win me over for a season!

What worries me more than if we sign Reaves or not, it's that we are using the free agent courting period to court a 4th liner/13th forward.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

What worries me more than if we sign Reaves or not, it's that we are using the free agent courting period to court a 4th liner/13th forward.

Just another aging vet blocking a roster spot for a hard working up and comer.  BT’s MO for free agent signings in other words.  As this would be a terrible signing, it’s practically a sure thing.  I’m thinking a Bouma style contract seems likely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

That is why I will take a "report" on reddit with a big grain of salt. The Flames are going to wine and dine a player like Reeves? Find that pretty hard to believe

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That is why I will take a "report" on reddit with a big grain of salt. The Flames are going to wine and dine a player like Reeves? Find that pretty hard to believe

The voice of reason, m'man! That's what I've been *hoping* as well. 

Love. 

9 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Please tell me that this isn't true. It can't be true. 

I just put this in the FA thread, didn't know it was here too...      granted its a Reddit post , but all along i can totally see this happening , especially since our most capable (yet reluctant) one was just shipped out of town 

Minnesota is apparently trying to unload Ennis in a trade, trying to bundle him with someone else.  What about Brodie for Spurgeon and Ennis?

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not sure where to post this.  I guess this is trade news.

Thanks for 28 years I guess?

This is the best thing that's happened to the Flames since Peter Maher called the shift....

Good riddance, Pompus @$$

12 minutes ago, TrippinVdUb said:

This is the best thing that's happened to the Flames since Peter Maher called the shift....

Good riddance, Pompus @$$

I am confident that he'll be hosting the show in place of Roger Millions. 

I think that you should apply immediately. All your friends, too! And everyone on this board! Flood them with better options, like almost any other human!

https://jobs.rogers.com/job/Calgary-ReporterHost-Sportsnet-Calgary-AB-T1B-2R4/484562000/

Love. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I am confident that he'll be hosting the show in place of Roger Millions. 

I think that you should apply immediately. All your friends, too! And everyone on this board! Flood them with better options, like almost any other human!

https://jobs.rogers.com/job/Calgary-ReporterHost-Sportsnet-Calgary-AB-T1B-2R4/484562000/

Love. 

Oh, that's just awful... it's the opposite of Peter Maher!

22 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

I know I’m in the minority here, but I want him on the team. I want to see what this team plays like when they’re fearless. Reaves can have that affect. I’d bet if the report is true, the reason is all of the liberties Johnny and Mony have been taking the past few seasons.