The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

45 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I was gonna say add a 1st to that but I have been so pissed lately over the amount of picks dealt.

Just breatheeeee.;)

We're getting the cup next season.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Just breatheeeee.;)

We're getting the cup next season.

I am a little uptight these days, aren’t I?

the stress in my life is really shining through. 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am a little uptight these days, aren’t I?

the stress in my life is really shining through. 

Sorry to hear that.  I'm miffed about losing Ferland.  AT least for the year.

Having to give up picks is a residual from the Feaster/Sutter days where the the cupboards were bare and we needed to trade for players.

BT has traded a lot of them, but there was little capital to use.  He took over a shamble.

Not many things had value.

Nothing for JBou, Iggy and Kipper retired a year early.

We have Klimchuk left from that year of Feaster.

Almost lost Monahan for nothing.

Poirier not qualified.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Sorry to hear that.  I'm miffed about losing Ferland.  AT least for the year.

Having to give up picks is a residual from the Feaster/Sutter days where the the cupboards were bare and we needed to trade for players.

BT has traded a lot of them, but there was little capital to use.  He took over a shamble.

Not many things had value.

Nothing for JBou, Iggy and Kipper retired a year early.

We have Klimchuk left from that year of Feaster.

Almost lost Monahan for nothing.

Poirier not qualified.

Yup! As a fan you just wish so hard that the organization does the right thing. Wish so hard that they put together a team that can be consistently up for the cup. I get it’s hard to win and so for me realistically I want a winner every year, but would settle for the Sharks’ “success.” 

TD makes a good point. Feaster was a terrible GM. His only impact was drafting Gaudreau, and considering his other misses in the draft that was a bit of a fluke (though we will see how his gamble. On Jankowski ultimately pays off). Sure he drafted Monahan, but that was automatic - and he almost lost him due to a ridiculous offer sheet on O'Reilly. 

The worst thing about it is he had the opportunity to trade our core players (Regher, Iginla, Bouwmeester, Kipper) and the only thing left remaining from that terrible set of transactions (or non-transactions) is Klimchuk. 

Look at us now. Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Giordano, Lindholm, Hanafin, Hamonic, and Brodie are a strong core of mostly young players on budget deals that we control long term. Bennett, Jankowski and a few others are very promising. Despite trading draft picks and prospects our system is pretty strong. 

I get the criticism, and nobody is perfect, but that is a huge transition to a good team with a strong future. 

39 minutes ago, kehatch said:

TD makes a good point. Feaster was a terrible GM. His only impact was drafting Gaudreau, and considering his other misses in the draft that was a bit of a fluke (though we will see how his gamble. On Jankowski ultimately pays off). Sure he drafted Monahan, but that was automatic - and he almost lost him due to a ridiculous offer sheet on O'Reilly. 

The worst thing about it is he had the opportunity to trade our core players (Regher, Iginla, Bouwmeester, Kipper) and the only thing left remaining from that terrible set of transactions (or non-transactions) is Klimchuk. 

Look at us now. Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Giordano, Lindholm, Hanafin, Hamonic, and Brodie are a strong core of mostly young players on budget deals that we control long term. Bennett, Jankowski and a few others are very promising. Despite trading draft picks and prospects our system is pretty strong. 

I get the criticism, and nobody is perfect, but that is a huge transition to a good team with a strong future. 

Yup, all you have to do is look at the depth chart for 2013... it was sad, Mony is the lone beacon of hope that season!

7 hours ago, TrippinVdUb said:

Yup, all you have to do is look at the depth chart for 2013... it was sad, Mony is the lone beacon of hope that season!

Yup. You could be cynical that five of the guys on the list were inherited by Treliving, and that would be fair. But he re-signed most of them to budget contracts, kept the right guys, and brought in some of the key ones outside of the draft. 

The Hamilton trade is still a question mark. Treliving has signed some free agents to contracts we have regretted. He has also been unable to fix the goaltending position. But overall a before / after look at the roster, system, cap situation, and term control shows Treliving has done a very good job. Now the question is if he can fill in the rest. 

Personally I think if he can fix goaltending, add one more too 6 winger, and fix the bottom 6 then we are set. 

I complain about Brouwer the most, but really he's the only regular roster player here that was a miss.  

Lazar was a dumb trade in retrospect because he hasn't done anything to warrant a 2nd rounder.

Stone was an overpay on cheap insurance.

Those are the only players that actually impact the team in the wrong way.

Most of that is blocking better players or taking up ice time.

I was wishing for a Zucker or Nederreiter (SP) but that may not be an option now.

Bennett may be our only trade chip with value.

IT goes around in circles because we have a decent top 6 core and pieces, plus our D is fine.  Aging goalie and goalie prospects battling it out.

I wonder if we should make a cheap offer on a backup.  Seems to be a lot available.

My bigger question is whether we should be looking to trade Bennett (LW/C) for a player that occupies the other side of the ice (RW).

We have more depth on LW than anywhere else.  Except maybe C.

Maybe Bennett is the missing top 6 RW we are looking for.  I just haven;t seen any evidence to suggest he would be better there.

By trading Bennett, we open up a spot on the 3rd line for a Dube or Mangiapane.

It also means we have brought in a RW for the top 6.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I complain about Brouwer the most, but really he's the only regular roster player here that was a miss.  

Lazar was a dumb trade in retrospect because he hasn't done anything to warrant a 2nd rounder.

Stone was an overpay on cheap insurance.

Those are the only players that actually impact the team in the wrong way.

Most of that is blocking better players or taking up ice time.

I was wishing for a Zucker or Nederreiter (SP) but that may not be an option now.

Bennett may be our only trade chip with value.

IT goes around in circles because we have a decent top 6 core and pieces, plus our D is fine.  Aging goalie and goalie prospects battling it out.

I wonder if we should make a cheap offer on a backup.  Seems to be a lot available.

My bigger question is whether we should be looking to trade Bennett (LW/C) for a player that occupies the other side of the ice (RW).

We have more depth on LW than anywhere else.  Except maybe C.

Maybe Bennett is the missing top 6 RW we are looking for.  I just haven;t seen any evidence to suggest he would be better there.

By trading Bennett, we open up a spot on the 3rd line for a Dube or Mangiapane.

It also means we have brought in a RW for the top 6.

Hmmm...I wonder if you complain about him more than I do. Carty must be up there too. Not that it matters.

I am in favour of keeping Bennett. I see what you are driving at though. I suppose if the RW return was solid and to the Eastern conference, I could be on board. Treliving has to be careful though because I suspect that ownership is a little anxious at this point. Every GM makes mistakes, but it must have been irritating that Treliving gets the ability to trade without KK babysitting him and the first thing he does is get Brouwer. Optics.

Goaltending is a real mystery to me. I believe that Smith can only play so many games per year at this point. We need to expose our younger goalies to develop. They just seem to be struggling. I think that we know what we have in Rittich. Gillies may have another gear, but he appears to need to get over the nerves. I don't see any goaltenders that are especially inspiring, and Treliving has already sacrificed a few picks to get what we have. I wonder if we should just gamble heavily on Gillies to know what we have. It could be a difficult year, and Peters must be a little worried after his problems in Carolina. Rinse, repeat.

Bennett was not a bad player by any stretch.

Played mostly 3rd line minutes, but they were somewhat sheltered.

IF I was more confident in his ability to play RW, then I wouldn't worry.

If we overpay for a top 6 RW, then it takes the pressure off a bit.

Tkachuk stays where he is.  Lindholm plays on the RW.

Bennett-Janko-Frolik

Mangiapane-Ryan-Brouwer/Lazar/Hathaway

That 4th line is fine minus Brouwer.  Frolik might stabilize Bennett a bit.  Without the top line FA signing, it gets a little more complicated, since you have to move players around (Tkachuk to top line RW, Lindholm to 2nd line, Frolik to LW) or put Lindholm on the top line.  Bennett gets a bit of help with Ryan on RW.

If you were to trade Bennett for a top 6 RW, then Mangiapane replaces him on the 3rd line with Frolik on RW.  Ryan becomes the stable 4th line C.  

Or we could do nothing in FA, not buyout/trade/bury Brouwer, not make any trades and just try to tread water.  Chances are some prospects exceed expectations, but they will have to contend with Brouwer on the ice.  :) 

On 6/27/2018 at 11:31 PM, JTech780 said:

I could probably handle signing Reaves of it was to a 1 year, $1m deal anything longer or for more money and I am out. I get the idea that we need toughness, especially now that Ferland is gone, but let's not overpay because he had 2 goals in the playoffs.

BT has this habit of giving 3 years to FA's then overpaying anyway.

So with Tavares to the leafs for 11 million, the leafs will soon find themselves in a cap bind.  Not this year, as the only biggish name they have to resign is Nylander, but next season Kapenen, Matthews and Mariner will all need new deals.  They simply won’t be able to keep all that young talent.  Not to mention their defence still sucks, and they would be looking to improve.  So of the three Young forwards (assuming Matthews will be resigned no matter what), which would you target, and what would it take to acquire? Keeping in mind Toronto needs to improve defensively, but also needs to keep the cap hit on the return low.

9 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

So with Tavares to the leafs for 11 million, the leafs will soon find themselves in a cap bind.  Not this year, as the only biggish name they have to resign is Nylander, but next season Kapenen, Matthews and Mariner will all need new deals.  They simply won’t be able to keep all that young talent.  Not to mention their defence still sucks, and they would be looking to improve.  So of the three Young forwards (assuming Matthews will be resigned no matter what), which would you target, and what would it take to acquire? Keeping in mind Toronto needs to improve defensively, but also needs to keep the cap hit on the return low.

Bennett/Kylington for Nylander or Kadri.

Helps them manage the cost a bit better.

Underpay for sure, but they don;t need offensive guys as much as they need D prospects and 2-way players with value.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett/Kylington for Nylander or Kadri.

Helps them manage the cost a bit better.

Underpay for sure, but they don;t need offensive guys as much as they need D prospects and 2-way players with value.

I don't like Kadri but I could see him being a fit, Nylander is the dream but what would that cost us in picks? Are we willing to give up another 1st rounder+ after the draft we just had?

I would, but only for that type of asset

1 minute ago, TrippinVdUb said:

I don't like Kadri but I could see him being a fit, Nylander is the dream but what would that cost us in picks? Are we willing to give up another 1st rounder+ after the draft we just had?

I would, but only for that type of asset

You figure Nylander is the dream? I'd take Marner seven days a week... Anyway, I don't think we have the assets to pull either, and I think it's unlikely they'll move anyone until next year. They're still going to have to do something about the D, though. 

Love. 

Just now, Heartbreaker said:

You figure Nylander is the dream? I'd take Marner seven days a week... Anyway, I don't think we have the assets to pull either, and I think it's unlikely they'll move anyone until next year. They're still going to have to do something about the D, though. 

Love. 

Marner is the keeper on that team.  No way he's going anywhere.

They need defense and other cheaper pieces.

I would do Brodie and Stone for Nylander or Bennett for Kadri.

Kadri and Gio can scrap between practice shifts.

Johnny and Kadri can hack at each other in practices,

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Marner is the keeper on that team.  No way he's going anywhere.

They need defense and other cheaper pieces.

I would do Brodie and Stone for Nylander or Bennett for Kadri.

Kadri and Gio can scrap between practice shifts.

Johnny and Kadri can hack at each other in practices,

I know Marner is the keeper, but Hall was the keeper in Edmonton, too. I'd play hardball, personally. They'll need D this year, and next year they'll need excellent cap management. 

Nevertheless, I don't think we're in a great position to be making any deals with them right now. 

Love. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

Well of course I'd  rather have Marner but that doesn't seem realistic, Nylander looks to be the most expendable in this situation, as Kapanen offers some cost control for now. 

I don't think Bennett and Kyilington get it done, my guess is the ask would be a top pick, a good prospect and a top 4 Dman on a good contact (Brodie/Hamonic) 

1 minute ago, TrippinVdUb said:

I don't think Bennett and Kyilington get it done, my guess is the ask would be a top pick, a good prospect and a top 4 Dman on a good contact (Brodie/Hamonic) 

Would you do that? 

I wouldn't do that. 

Love. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I know Marner is the keeper, but Hall was the keeper in Edmonton, too. I'd play hardball, personally. They'll need D this year, and next year they'll need excellent cap management. 

Nevertheless, I don't think we're in a great position to be making any deals with them right now. 

Love. 

They have top C's to spare, but they don;t have the wingers as much.

Capfriendly is down thanks to Leafs fans.

I would suggest that Nylander is the guy they have to move.

Can't afford to pay him his value to play on the wing.

Kapanen is probably a keeper because he's still cheap.

11 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Would you do that? 

I wouldn't do that. 

Love. 

I hold on to what assets I have left and see what we already have in the line-up. We need to refillthe pipeline

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I would suggest that Nylander is the guy they have to move.

I think you're right about that. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't give up much to get him. I see no reason to do them a favour, and if we had the assets that they needed - which I suspect that we do not, so it's moot anyway - I would follow the Taylor Hall precedent, and insist on Marner. 

Love. 

Just now, TrippinVdUb said:

I hold on to what assets I have left and see what we already have in the line-up. We need to refillthe pipeline

Now you're talkin'!

Love. 

2 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I think you're right about that. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't give up much to get him. I see no reason to do them a favour, and if we had the assets that they needed - which I suspect that we do not, so it's moot anyway - I would follow the Taylor Hall precedent, and insist on Marner. 

Love. 

Well put. Keep your earballs open, but hold steady. I do think TD had a good idea. Let's make another trade with NYI first pick coming our way 'cuz they are likely to pick very high.