The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Hopefully we aren't one the team's in on Matt Martin. The only way it would make sense is if Brouwer is going the other way.

Or maybe a Stone for Martin and Leivo swap, but we already have too many forwards.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Hopefully we aren't one the team's in on Matt Martin. The only way it would make sense is if Brouwer is going the other way.

Or maybe a Stone for Martin and Leivo swap, but we already have too many forwards.

Yea, it doesn't make sense to me.  The Leafs don't need to add anyone like Brouwer if they are getting rid of Martin.  It makes then worse off next year.

I would consider Pickard for Stone.  Or Stone for Gustavsson or Hogberg from OTT.   

48 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Does Matt Martin play goalie?

After watching Sportsnet, apparently Ottawa is letting teams talk to Erik Karlsson now for a possible contract extension to the team acquiring him in a trade. I guess he wants out of Ottawa sooner rather than later. Would it be possible to bring him here for a few players?

How about Brodie, Frolik, Jankowski/Bennett, Stone, Brouwer, and a 1st rounder for Karlsson? We could receive a bottom 6 winger from Ottawa as well to make the $ work better (Smith?).

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Janko/Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik

Mangiapane-Lazar-Hathaway

Gawdin, Klimchuk, Foo

Giordano-Karlsson

Hamonic-Hanifin

Kulak-Andersson

Valimaki, Kylington, Prout

The bottom 2 D would likely get limited minutes so age/experience not as important. Prout can be added for protection when needed. Extra forwards can be used as needed for injuries or slumps. I would prefer to keep Bennett over Jankowski, but Bennett may be required for a deal to get done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 7wit said:

After watching Sportsnet, apparently Ottawa is letting teams talk to Erik Karlsson now for a possible contract extension to the team acquiring him in a trade. I guess he wants out of Ottawa sooner rather than later. Would it be possible to bring him here for a few players?

How about Brodie, Frolik, Jankowski/Bennett, Stone, Brouwer, and a 1st rounder for Karlsson? We could receive a bottom 6 winger from Ottawa as well to make the $ work better (Smith?).

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Gawdin, Klimchuk, Foo

Giordano-Karlsson

Hamonic-Hanifin

Kulak-Andersson

The bottom 2 D would likely get limited minutes so age/experience not as important. Prout can be added for protection when needed. Extra forwards can be used as needed for injuries or slumps. I would prefer to keep Bennett over Jankowski, but Bennett may be required for a deal to get done.

When I saw the article I started thinking the same thing. With Ottawa being a budget cap team, there will definitely need to be some $ coming back - just a hard no to Bobby Ryan. There’s no doubt in my mind that Tre will at least explore acquiring Karlsson - but this could all be moot if he has no interest in playing for us. Hopefully there’s an opportunity. 

3 hours ago, 7wit said:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Gawdin, Klimchuk, Foo

Giordano-Karlsson

Hamonic-Hanifin

Kulak-Andersson

Looking at all those guys going out my first impression is that's ridiculous, then I look at Karlsson as 28 years old, 1D, signed(a requirement that he will re-sign), and with our recent pick-ups we have an excess of players so some have to go.  I'd seriously consider doing it.  Drop Jankowski/Bennett from the package, maybe add another 2nd and I'd like it a lot more.   

3 hours ago, 7wit said:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Gawdin, Klimchuk, Foo

Giordano-Karlsson

Hamonic-Hanifin

Kulak-Andersson

I cannot see our offer being the best out of all the teams bidding.  I anticipate at least 12 other teams putting in legit offers.  We have to do better than Brodie + Frolik + Bennett.

Also, Doughty just extended for $11-mil-per.  Karlsson will cost no less than that.  

But in general, I do feel we need to try.  Karlsson is a game changer.  It makes sense for us to move Brodie in this case because we get back a "better Brodie".  Way better.  

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Ya i can see this , but with the only way being if we can somehow make it Brouwer.. I mean at least with this , you trade a guy who should be benched most nights for a guy that its a given because hes a true role player ..but only if you can save the 2+M per year doing it or it makes no sense

In his presser he did allude to still wanting to add to that area 

I mean , what else can we trade for ?.. theres not even an attractive upgrade in goal backup available .. unless Lehner takes a cheap deal ..  but i suspect hes going to the Island 

He's stocked up the wings and depth, leaving just enough room for farm kids to win a job 

as much as i wanted to see it you cant trade TJ now, I suggest you cant even trade Stone now , or you end up with 2-3 rookies in your top 6

Bennett I think figures into their plans , not ready to give up.. hes about to get actual skilled players to play with 

I think we ride the wave now and let BT do his job to make the cap hit of the signings make sense 

What apparently held up the Sens - Knights trade for Karlsson was the Knights refusal to include Cody Glass in the deal. Knowing that, I would find it hard to believe the Sens would do a deal with the Flames that did not include Valamaki. 

if the Flames can do it without Valamki in the deal i'm willing to talk, but if Valamaki is a must have I'm passing. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

What apparantly held up the Vegas - Knights trade was the Knights refusal to include Cody Glass in the deal. Knowing that, I would find it hard to believe the Sens would do a deal with the Flames that did not include Valamaki. 

if the Flames can do it without Valamki in the deal i'm willing to talk, but if Valamaki is a must have I'm passing. 

You mean for Karlsson?

Just now, The_People1 said:

You mean for Karlsson?

You mean teams can't trade with themselves ? :ph34r:

The bigger issue for me is locking up the skill guys (Hanifin and Lindholm) to align to the other core guys' contract expiries.

Can't have them all expire the same year.

2019/20

RFA's

Bennett, Lazar, Tkachuk, Quine

2020/21

UFA's

Brodie, Hamonic, Stone, Frolik, Czarnik, Brouwer

Add to that Gaudreau and Gio expire in 2021/22.

Monahan and Neal in 2022/23

Backlund in 2023/24.

A bridge deal for Hanifin is problematic.  I can't see one for Lindholm.

Need to make the room now to resiogn them properly.  Stone and whomever else to make that room. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

You mean teams can't trade with themselves ? :ph34r:

Having watched Valimaki at the WJC, I don't see an elite star there.  He can become a top pair D but if it came down to landing Karlsson, that's breaking the threshold for me.  I'd include him in a deal if nothing else significant goes as well.

I'm not trading Tkachuk, Monahan, and Gaudreau. I'd trade anyone else.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Having watched Valimaki at the WJC, I don't see an elite star there.  He can become a top pair D but if it came down to landing Karlsson, that's breaking the threshold for me.  I'd include him in a deal if nothing else significant goes as well.

I don't see an elite star either but I see a top pairing dman who can anchor your D core for 10 years. for me that's too valuable a piece to move especially after moving Fox. Moving Fox and Valamaki in the same off season guts your prospect depth and i'm just not willing to do that. I want the Flames to build a consistent.

Plus I have concerns about fitting his salary for the next 7-8 years and I don't think he moves the needle enough to warrant giving up a prized prospect like Valamaki. 

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's on a WJC team that otherwise didn't do well, right?

BY the same token that you should base a player on a good WJC, you shouldn't base it on a bad one.

More important to me is how he's done in his junior career, how he looks at camp and what the scouts see.

Any deal for Karlsson would need to be structured that it didn't rob us of the other things we need to compete.

Do you give up Backlund to have an elite D, only to have to find another top shutdown C?

Do you give up your top LD prospect along with other pieces?

If  Karlsson is for sale, then I don't give the team much hope for keeping Stone or Duchene.

Let the Melnyc fire sale begin. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't see an elite star either but I see a top pairing dman who can anchor your D core for 10 years. for me that's too valuable a piece to move especially after moving Fox. Moving Fox and Valamaki in the same off season guts your prospect depth and i'm just not willing to do that. I want the Flames to build a consistent.

Plus I have concerns about fitting his salary for the next 7-8 years and I don't think he moves the needle enough to warrant giving up a prized prospect like Valamaki. 

Is it fair to suggest Hanifin can anchor our D for the next 10 years?  Valimaki is also a LHS LD (more commonly found commodity).

Plus, Karlsson 8-year extension would anchor the D in itself.  Karlsson is 28 which is just entering prime for a Dman.  He should be elite until 34 or 35.

We talking Norris Dman here.

I believe 6 years from now Vallmaki will not be near the level Karlsson would be still at. So ya I would add Valimaki as a piece to get a trade done.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Do you give up Backlund to have an elite D, only to have to find another top shutdown C?

Do you give up your top LD prospect along with other pieces?

I think Bennett is becoming a top shut down C.  He just doesn't score but his back checking, his speed, his grit, etc.  I would graduate Bennett into that role if we trade Backlund.  I actually feel that's the right move to make.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Is it fair to suggest Hanifin can anchor our D for the next 10 years?  Valimaki is also a LHS LD (more commonly found commodity).

Plus, Karlsson 8-year extension would anchor the D in itself.  Karlsson is 28 which is just entering prime for a Dman.  He should be elite until 34 or 35.

We talking Norris Dman here.

I'm not sure on Hanifin. I liked Valamaki more than Hanifin at the same age to be honest. 

But like i said this is nothing against Karlsson, I recognize he is a great player I just don't believe he moves the needle for the Flames to warrant giving up their best, and really only, blue chip prospect that's all. I have a stronger desire for the Flames to build a team that can consistently compete rather than one that is one and done every 3-4 years and still doesn't win a cup because i'm just not seeing Karlsson moving the needle enough. 

Interested in trading for him, I would just have Valamaki on my no trade list. Overall though it's hard to see a workable deal. I think to make it realistic you need to take Ryan (which the Flames can't afford to do) and if you don't take Ryan i'm not sure they do the deal unless Tkachuk is involved because as you say above they are likely going to get some good offers. Even if you include Valamaki, is something like Brodie, Bennett and Valamaki going to be the best offer they get? If it isn't, i'm certainly not seeing adding more to that package as a good idea for the Flames. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interested in trading for him, I would just have Valamaki on my no trade list. Overall though it's hard to see a workable deal. I think to make it realistic you need to take Ryan (which the Flames can't afford to do) and if you don't take Ryan i'm not sure they do the deal unless Tkachuk is involved because as you say above they are likely going to get some good offers. Even if you include Valamaki, is something like Brodie, Bennett and Valamaki going to be the best offer they get? If it isn't, i'm certainly not seeing adding more to that package as a good idea for the Flames. 

I have to wonder what NYI could offer?

They can't move D, because they have so little to spare.

They can't move Barzal.

Lee and Bailey are their top scorers beside Barzal.

Eberle, they paid a high price for him.  :) 

They could choose to move their 1st, but that will be a lotto pick.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'm not sure on Hanifin. I liked Valamaki more than Hanifin at the same age to be honest. 

But like i said this is nothing against Karlsson, I recognize he is a great player I just don't believe he moves the needle for the Flames to warrant giving up their best, and really only, blue chip prospect that's all. I have a stronger desire for the Flames to build a team that can consistently compete rather than one that is one and done every 3-4 years and still doesn't win a cup because i'm just not seeing Karlsson moving the needle enough. 

Interested in trading for him, I would just have Valamaki on my no trade list. Overall though it's hard to see a workable deal. I think to make it realistic you need to take Ryan (which the Flames can't afford to do) and if you don't take Ryan i'm not sure they do the deal unless Tkachuk is involved because as you say above they are likely going to get some good offers. Even if you include Valamaki, is something like Brodie, Bennett and Valamaki going to be the best offer they get? 

Okay fair enough.  We all have our untouchables.  Mine is probably Tkachuk.

Ironically, the Sens would ask for Tkachuk + Stone so they unite two brothers in one fell swoop.  I would do it if that's all it took.

That means we have to clear cap space somehow and it means maybe Frolik and Brouwer have to go right away.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Okay fair enough.  We all have our untouchables.  Mine is probably Tkachuk.

Ironically, the Sens would ask for Tkachuk + Stone so they unite two brothers in one fell swoop.  I would do it if that's all it took.

That means we have to clear cap space somehow and it means maybe Frolik and Brouwer have to go right away.

Trade values are always hard but the fact that the Sens are willing to give teams a negotiating window is what leads me to believe the price is high. It would not make sense to give them a window for any other reasons so either the Sens management is crazy, possible, or the price went up and teams were not willing to pay it unless they could negotiate with Karlsson first but it also depends on Ryan. Most buzz has the rumors being that Ryan is being paired with Karlsson on the potetnial trade but like I said the Flames can't do that not without making a bunch of moves, that I don't think would net out positive.

I ran the numbers and surprisingly the Flames could accommodate Karlsson, in terms of the cap, pretty easily. Assuming Brodie went the other way (or a salary in that range) you'd only have to move Stone out this year and the'd be fine because Karlsson only makes 6.5. They'd have to buyout Brouwer next year but assuming a 3 mill rise in the cap it's very doable to get Karlsson for 11mill AAV and Tkachuk at 6Mill AAV and still have room to sign a goalie. So cap is there, it's more the trade value that would be the question. 

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Trade values are always hard but the fact that the Sens are willing to give teams a negotiating window is what leads me to believe the price is high. It would not make sense to give them a window for any other reasons so either the Sens management is crazy, possible, or the price went up and teams were not willing to pay it unless they could negotiate with Karlsson first but it also depends on Ryan. Most buzz has the rumors being that Ryan is being paired with Karlsson on the potetnial trade but like I said the Flames can't do that not without making a bunch of moves, that I don't think would net out positive.

I ran the numbers and surprisingly the Flames could accommodate Karlsson, in terms of the cap, pretty easily. Assuming Brodie went the other way (or a salary in that range) you'd only have to move Stone out this year and the'd be fine because Karlsson only makes 6.5. They'd have to buyout Brouwer next year but assuming a 3 mill rise in the cap it's very doable to get Karlsson for 11mill AAV and Tkachuk at 6Mill AAV and still have room to sign a goalie. So cap is there, it's more the trade value that would be the question. 

Well, it could also be that for the first time ever, the Senators concede their ability to extend Karlsson long term.  For the first time now, they are listening to serious offers and so they are letting teams talk to Karlsson by request. 

Oh and the Wild had the worst time trying to attach Ennis to a trade and had to buy him out.  If the Sens insist on adding Ryan, then expect Brouwer straight up for Kalrsson + Ryan.  Not even joking.  That will be the best offer out there because at least Brouwer can play 4th line.

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pretty sure we aren't one of the teams talking to EK, but regardless, I also can't see a package that other teams couldn't easily outbid.

We would need to start with Gio in the offer.  I don't know if that helps us in the short-term as we would need to move Brodie back to LD, though the cap hit would be the same for this year.