The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Pretty sure we aren't one of the teams talking to EK,

Oh I am 99% certain the Flames are not going to acquire Karlsson. This is all pure fun speculation on our part. 

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Pretty sure we aren't one of the teams talking to EK, but regardless, I also can't see a package that other teams couldn't easily outbid.

We would need to start with Gio in the offer.  I don't know if that helps us in the short-term as we would need to move Brodie back to LD, though the cap hit would be the same for this year.  

They don't want Gio.  They want Tkachuk + Stone.

And we should do it.  If we aren't talking to the Sens, we should be.  Karlsson is an impact Dman who single handedly won the Sens two playoff rounds two years ago.  He is Tavares level in terms of franchise altering/game changing.  We don't have a player of that caliber and haven't had one since Iginla and Kiprusoff.

And come on, we just traded away our franchise RHS RD, this is the perfect opportunity to get one back.  

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Oh I am 99% certain the Flames are not going to acquire Karlsson. This is all pure fun speculation on our part. 

But I'm 99% sure BT will do his due diligence and so you never know...

I'm FOMO'ing in.  I would do Brodie + Tkachuk + Stone for Karlsson straight up.  The Sens can unite the Tkachuk and Stone brothers (they need a feel good story in Ottawa right now).

No to Ryan.  Bobby and Derek aren't brothers thank you very much.

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But I'm 99% sure BT will do his due diligence and so you never know...

I'm FOMO'ing in.  I would do Brodie + Tkachuk + Stone for Karlsson straight up.  The Sens can unite the Tkachuk and Stone brothers (they need a feel good story in Ottawa right now).

No to Ryan.  Bobby and Derek aren't brothers thank you very much.

I also am very confident BT is on it but I'm not sure he likes the answer. I differ from you in that I would not include Tkachuk. Imo in a season or two Tkachuk is going to have a similar impact on that game than Karlsson and he'll do it much cheaper so I'm not moving him. 

If the flames can get Karlsson without giving up Gaudreau, Mony, Tkachuk or Valamaki I'm all ears. because they can't take on Ryan and because o struggle to see how they make a deal work without giving up those 4 that's why I say I'm not thinkng this is a realistic possibility 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I also am very confident BT is on it but I'm not sure he likes the answer. I differ from you in that I would not include Tkachuk. Imo in a season or two Tkachuk is going to have a similar impact on that game than Karlsson and he'll do it much cheaper so I'm not moving him. 

If the flames can get Karlsson without giving up Gaudreau, Mony, Tkachuk or Valamaki I'm all ears. because they can't take on Ryan and because o struggle to see how they make a deal work without giving up those 4 that's why I say I'm not thinkng this is a realistic possibility 

If we move Tkachuk, then Bennett or Jankowski slides into 2nd line LW.  We need something like this to happen anyways to give a prospect like Mangiapane or Dube a realistic shot at camp.  If we get Karlsson, it will be like the Ferland situation with Brodie where we might as well move him since we're replacing his spot in the lineup.

And Stone needs to go to give path to Andersson.

Why would he not like the answer?  Just don't take back Ryan and give back more.  I believe we will be highest bid with Brodie + Tkachuk + Stone.

In a perfect world, it will take Brodie + Backlund + Stone and if that's what it takes, it sounds like you are on board.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we move Tkachuk, then Bennett or Jankowski slides into 2nd line LW.  We need something like this to happen anyways to give a prospect like Mangiapane or Dube a realistic shot at camp.  If we get Karlsson, it will be like the Ferland situation with Brodie where we might as well move him since we're replacing his spot in the lineup.

And Stone needs to go to give path to Andersson.

Why would he not like the answer?  Just don't take back Ryan and give back more.  I believe we will be highest bid with Brodie + Tkachuk + Stone.

In a perfect world, it will take Brodie + Backlund + Stone and if that's what it takes, it sounds like you are on board.

Because he shouldn't give up Tkachuk, that's why I don't think he'd like the answer. 

For sure I would do Brodie-Backs-Stone but that doesn't make a lot of sense for Ottawa. 

Just now, JTech780 said:

How do we go about trading for and signing Bobrovsky?

Anyone remember at the 2016 draft when we almost swung the 3 team deal with EDM and CBJ where we'd land Puljujarvi, CBJ would get Dubois and EDM would get Sergachev. It fell through because VAN was gonna take Dubois. Anyway it was reported we were going to acquire Bobrovsky in that deal, however at that time he was coming off a dreadful season where he "lost his confidence". But the interest in Bobrovsky was there...

According to Bruce Garrioch on TSN (watching now) 5 or 6 teams have been kicking tires. Ottawa is needing a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, a top four defenceman and some forward depth for Karlsson. Most likely something else as well like a blue chip prospect.

Bobrovsky would look good in net for us too.

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Anyone remember at the 2016 draft when we almost swung the 3 team deal with EDM and CBJ where we'd land Puljujarvi, CBJ would get Dubois and EDM would get Sergachev. It fell through because VAN was gonna take Dubois. Anyway it was reported we were going to acquire Bobrovsky in that deal, however at that time he was coming off a dreadful season where he "lost his confidence". But the interest in Bobrovsky was there...

BT hinted he was trying to trade up to get Tkachuk.  Not sure if true.

Just now, The_People1 said:

BT hinted he was trying to trade up to get Tkachuk.  Not sure if true.

So many rumours that day, we almost apparently had Bob then again we almost gave Bishop 7x7

6 minutes ago, 7wit said:

According to Bruce Garrioch on TSN (watching now) 5 or 6 teams have been kicking tires. Ottawa is needing a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, a top four defenceman and some forward depth for Karlsson. Most likely something else as well like a blue chip prospect.

So, Brodie + Hathaway + 1st + 2nd?  Done deal then.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe if we took on Bobby Ryan

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

So many rumours that day, we almost apparently had Bob then again we almost gave Bishop 7x7

Ya rumor was Montreal was trying to trade Subban to the Oilers to land French star Dubios but CBJ messed the whole thing up when they took Dubios instead.  MTL ended up trading Subban for Weber a few weeks later.  

I think the Oilers were trying to trade with CBJ to make sure they can get MTL Dubios... Since CBJ said they weren't interested in picking 3rd ranked Puljujarvi.

I feel sorry for any player that is traded to Ottawa right now. I wonder if that makes it that much more difficult to move Karlsson. If Seguin had attitude issues in Boston...

I wonder when "The Real Housewives of the Ottawa Senators" is released?

Columbus needs centers, we have a couple centers. Smith, Bennett and a prospect for Bobrovsky.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Columbus needs centers, we have a couple centers. Smith, Bennett and a prospect for Bobrovsky.

$6.1m cap going out

$7.4m cap coming in.

Sure, if they didn;t hang up the phone.

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Considering some of the lame trade suggestions I've read elsewhere, that's not the worst.

Gio + 1st + Hathaway?

We get younger and bring back a RD.

HE could be the captain and PP QB.

24 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I feel sorry for any player that is traded to Ottawa right now. I wonder if that makes it that much more difficult to move Karlsson. If Seguin had attitude issues in Boston...

I wonder when "The Real Housewives of the Ottawa Senators" is released?

Did anyone catch Braden Holtby's wife interviewed on the ice after the Caps won the Cup?  She said something like,

"This is the best and most proud group of wives and girlfriends in the league.  We stay home and take care of the kids while our men go to work.". 

Ya, that's right.  That girl is a keeper right there. 

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Did anyone catch Braden Holtby's wife interviewed on the ice after the Caps won the Cup?  She said something like,

"This is the best and most proud group of wives and girlfriends in the league.  We stay home and take care of the kids while our men go to work.". 

Ya, that's right.  That girl is a keeper right there. 

Ha! Well, you know kids cost a lot of cash when you see wealthy players celebrate cup victories with their wives and 9 children. Calgary's carbon emissions increased by 32% after Smith moved here alone. Somehow, it seems all of his kids are the same age too. 

It looks as though the Stars are going to land Karlsson, and the deal does not include Ryan. This should be interesting. 

Is any player worth 11-million?  I get that Washington just won a cup with a 10-million dollar player and Pittsburgh did it with a couple of guys in the 9-10 range.  But that is a big chunk of cap for one guy, especially a D.  It is moot anyway, I doubt he would sign here and I doubt Ottawa is interested in a deal not involving Tkachuk.  Both are non-starters for me.  

Bobrovsky on the other hand is a good target if the price is right.  The Flames didn't have the assets pre July 2 to make another big trade. But adding three forwards has given us the option to trade someone like Jankowski or Bennett.  

We look great at forward.  There are question marks at D (Hanafin progressing, Brodie rebounding, Giordano maintaining), but we have enough back there that I am comfortable with the season.  But it would be a massive shame to go into next season to find out Smith gets hurt or hasn't returned to form.  If it costs us a bit to bring in some insurance in net I am fine with that.  

2 hours ago, 7wit said:

Bobrovsky would look good in net for us too.

This brings me back to the question I had regarding the timing of the Hamilton trade.  Never understood why that trade had to happen on the draft floor when no draft picks were involved.  Tree trying to steal the lime light I guess while waiting for his first pick in the 4th round.  Hamilton today would go a long ways in acquiring Karlsson.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well, it could also be that for the first time ever, the Senators concede their ability to extend Karlsson long term.  For the first time now, they are listening to serious offers and so they are letting teams talk to Karlsson by request. 

Absolutely.  Karlsson is probably not even returning calls for a contract extension.  OTT just seen Tavares bolt from the Island and they are trying to recoup some assets.  Karlsson is good as gone now.  With OTT allowing other teams to talk to Karlsson it only brings more interest, including the dreamers that were not even enquiring (like us).  Sometimes dreams come true and that's what OTT is banking on.

11 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

This brings me back to the question I had regarding the timing of the Hamilton trade.  Never understood why that trade had to happen on the draft floor when no draft picks were involved.  Tree trying to steal the lime light I guess while waiting for his first pick in the 4th round.  Hamilton today would go a long ways in acquiring Karlsson.  

I doubt it. Ottawa isn't looking at a player like Hamilton and Karlsson wasn't going to sign an extension in Calgary. Losing out on the trade (and what it opened the door for July 1) just in case you could take a run at Karlsson would have been a really poor decision.