Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, kehatch said:

 

I doubt it. Ottawa isn't looking at a player like Hamilton and Karlsson wasn't going to sign an extension in Calgary. Losing out on the trade (and what it opened the door for July 1) just in case you could take a run at Karlsson would have been a really poor decision.

Why would OTT not be interested in Hamilton, a RH dman that is 3 yrs younger that plays in the top pairing for half the price?  How do you know where Karlsson will or will not sign?  We have a bit of a Swedish connection here now.  Did you think James Neil was signing in Calgary last week?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

This brings me back to the question I had regarding the timing of the Hamilton trade.  Never understood why that trade had to happen on the draft floor when no draft picks were involved.  Tree trying to steal the lime light I guess while waiting for his first pick in the 4th round.  Hamilton today would go a long ways in acquiring Karlsson.  

I don't know if that's a fair assessment, it takes two GM's to make a trade. I think it had more to do with both guys sitting side by side on the floor for 2 days and hashing out a previous conversation. Brad seemed like he was on a mission to move Dougie before free agency. I'm willing to bet this entire scenario, starting with the trade all the way to Neal was on a white board or a note pad somewhere in the Flames offices among other variations that could have went down. He knew what he wanted and he went after it.

 

My biggest shock is how little of the future he spent to acquire it all. 1 prospect and 2 core player's moved and no really ridiculous contracts on the books. He has had a commendable summer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we wanna pay EK 11 mill. He's the 3rd best D in the world IMO behind Doughty and Hedman, but he has had injuries and do we want to be paying a 35 year old Karlsson 11 mill at the tail end of the deal...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

This brings me back to the question I had regarding the timing of the Hamilton trade.  Never understood why that trade had to happen on the draft floor when no draft picks were involved.  Tree trying to steal the lime light I guess while waiting for his first pick in the 4th round.  Hamilton today would go a long ways in acquiring Karlsson.  

 

 If Karlsson was an option for the Flames and Hamilton was a target Treliving would have known about it prior to making the Canes deal, there are no new developments here. All of this stuff has been out there since before th trade deadline. There is a reason Karlsson went to grab the puck during his last Senators game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

 If Karlsson was an option for the Flames and Hamilton was a target Treliving would have known about it prior to making the Canes deal, there are no new developments here. All of this stuff has been out there since before th trade deadline. There is a reason Karlsson went to grab the puck during his last Senators game.

 

 

Disagree.  I think the Sens waited until July 1st to officially ink Karlsson long term only to find out he wasn't interested (officially uninterested).  Up to that point, all rejections could've been interpreted as bargaining.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

 If Karlsson was an option for the Flames and Hamilton was a target Treliving would have known about it prior to making the Canes deal, there are no new developments here. All of this stuff has been out there since before th trade deadline. There is a reason Karlsson went to grab the puck during his last Senators game.

 

Yes there is.  It was just announced today that Karlsson's representation can reach out to other teams to measure interest.  Everyone is interested now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Is any player worth 11-million?  

 

Is Backlund + Brouwer worth $11-million? 

 

It's a philosophy right?  Do you rather,

 

Kulak - Karlsson 

Or 

Giordano - Hamilton

 

I'd rather Kulak - Karlsson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Disagree.  I think the Sens waited until July 1st to officially ink Karlsson long term only to find out he wasn't interested (officially uninterested).  Up to that point, all rejections could've been interpreted as bargaining.

 

 

See and for me that was all PR so the Sens can walk away and say "well we tried". They gave him an offer that was below market which tells me they never really wanted to sign him, just appease their fans. 

 

karlsson doesn't want to be in Ottawa and I think that's been well documented for months now. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Yes there is.  It was just announced today that Karlsson's representation can reach out to other teams to measure interest.  Everyone is interested now.

 

Everyone has been for months. Reps can reach it and discuss deals which just means we're closer to the end. 

 

Lets rememberer that Karlsson was minutes away from being a Golden Knight. If McPhee would have given up Cody Glass Karlsson is already a Knight. This has been ongoing for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Everyone has been for months. Reps can reach it and discuss deals which just means we're closer to the end. 

 

Lets rememberer that Karlsson was minutes away from being a Golden Knight. If McPhee would have given up Cody Glass Karlsson is already a Knight. This has been ongoing for a while. 

 

There would be more interest if teams could negotiate a long term extension with Karlsson first.  And that's a new angle to this.  This is all new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

There would be more interest if teams could negotiate a long term extension with Karlsson first.  And that's a new angle to this.  This is all new.

 

I don't see it that way.  The interest has been there for months, teams have known he was available, have known the price, known who is on his no trade list and very likely already know where he is interested in signing as a UFA or more importantly where he is not. I think the only "news" here is the Sens are trying to drive the price up by allowing them to speak first. 

 

I dont see it changing the interested teams because those teams would already know where they stand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Everyone has been for months. Reps can reach it and discuss deals which just means we're closer to the end. 

 

Lets rememberer that Karlsson was minutes away from being a Golden Knight. If McPhee would have given up Cody Glass Karlsson is already a Knight. This has been ongoing for a while. 

 

Oh I remember.  I think I was the first one on here to say Karlsson to Vegas at the TDL.  Vegas had the assets, the dollars and the reasoning to add such player.  Now it's an equal playing field for all teams.  What did Vegas offer in total?  When the deal does get done I'll be curious to see if we could have offered something comparable including Hamilton.  

Hey, I'm not losing any sleep about missing out on Karlsson, just saying we had a better chance with Hamilton as a chip.  $11mil to one player is a big chunk and concessions need to be made in other areas for sure.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Do we wanna pay EK 11 mill. He's the 3rd best D in the world IMO behind Doughty and Hedman, but he has had injuries and do we want to be paying a 35 year old Karlsson 11 mill at the tail end of the deal...

Id argue that's he's the 3rd best player in the world behind McDavid and Crosby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who wouldn't want Karlsson on their team? For $11M+ tho?....probably not. You can still pack quite a bit of high quality and depth players into $11M. As far as Flames trades to consider, we still need a true future #1 goalie, should still be our top priority...can't expect Smith to stay injury free and carry us all the way thru a deep playoff run. I'm still holding out hope that we somehow pry Wayne Simmonds away from the Flyers but that's a dream. Flames still need some skilled grit in the lineup, Flames are pretty soft with no Ferly around to stick up for his teammates. Who's gonna protect JH every time he takes a slash now? Tkachuk should be able to be a pest without having to worry about dropping the gloves. I guess that's where a guy like Maroon could have been of value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

 

Oh I remember.  I think I was the first one on here to say Karlsson to Vegas at the TDL.  Vegas had the assets, the dollars and the reasoning to add such player.  Now it's an equal playing field for all teams.  What did Vegas offer in total?  When the deal does get done I'll be curious to see if we could have offered something comparable including Hamilton.  

Hey, I'm not loosing any sleep about missing out on Karlsson, just saying we had a better chance with Hamilton as a chip.  $11mil to one player is a big chunk and concessions need to be made in other areas for sure.   

 

Maybe, maybe not but imo that likely doesn't matter. Karlsson has a No trade list and as a soon to be UFA basically gets to pick where he wants to go. the likelihood that Calgary is not on his no trade list, that he would want to come and play here for the next 8 years and then they could work out a trade is all pretty small IMO. i think that is far more likely of a scenario then Treliving not knowing what this would cost him or moving Hamilton too early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see Calgary on that list. I am sure Treliving knew where he stood in terms of being able to acquire and sign Karlsson well before he made the trade with Carolina. Ottawa has been monitoring interest in Karlsson for months now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't see Calgary on that list. I am sure Treliving knew where he stood in terms of being able to acquire and sign Karlsson well before he made the trade with Carolina. Ottawa has been monitoring interest in Karlsson for months now.

 

Considering that Dallas is offering Honka, that sure doesn;t sound like a big offer.  I would imagine it also includes a 1st.  Probably Spezza as well, just to stick the knife in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Considering that Dallas is offering Honka, that sure doesn;t sound like a big offer.  I would imagine it also includes a 1st.  Probably Spezza as well, just to stick the knife in.

 

Sounds like Ottawa is trying to get Miro Heiskanen in return and Dallas is countering with Honka.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JTech780 said:

 

Sounds like Ottawa is trying to get Miro Heiskanen in return and Dallas is countering with Honka.

 

Pretty far apart.

Wouldn't Vaimaki be considered a better prospect than Honka?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't see Calgary on that list. I am sure Treliving knew where he stood in terms of being able to acquire and sign Karlsson well before he made the trade with Carolina. Ottawa has been monitoring interest in Karlsson for months now.

another point to this .. is I'm not sure we should even BE interested .

Yes, hes one of the best in the world, and probably a character human being . But, BT has just gone on a purge and clean to get a harmonious locker room .

You bring in EK, now the Gio cap is gone..  you just brought in an outsider for 5 Mill more than  players like Johnny and Monahan were told we'd ever go and ground for months on their contracts for 

Someday yes, its going to break .;. but if its not for somebody already in that locker room , then suddenly you get animosity again .....   we just gave up a highly talented 1st pair dman , for the purpose of bettering the "Team".. dont ruin that now .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

another point to this .. is I'm not sure we should even BE interested .

Yes, hes one of the best in the world, and probably a character human being . But, BT has just gone on a purge and clean to get a harmonious locker room .

You bring in EK, now the Gio cap is gone..  you just brought in an outsider for 5 Mill more than  players like Johnny and Monahan were told we'd ever go and ground for months on their contracts for 

Someday yes, its going to break .;. but if its not for somebody already in that locker room , then suddenly you get animosity again .....   we just gave up a highly talented 1st pair dman , for the purpose of bettering the "Team".. dont ruin that now .

 

We should be interested if Karlsson is willing to stay for 8 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldnt even Talk to him He declined 8.0/m a year and the only person that got higher is doughty and he has 2 stanley cup rings and has earned that ammount

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_Snowbear said:

I wouldnt even Talk to him He declined 8.0/m a year and the only person that got higher is doughty and he has 2 stanley cup rings and has earned that ammount

On 2 stacked team's, Doughty has never put the Kings on his back and won 2 straight playoff series. Quick in the other hand? Karlson is in a league of his own, the way he controls the game and attacks the opposition is uncanny. Doughty nor Hedman have that kind of impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...