The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Zibanejad should be available at the right price but it will be expensive. Watching the Sens yesterday, I'm going to go back to Alex Chiasson as a player who intrigues me the most. RHS RW with good size. I thought he had a great game and generated a couple scoring chances with his skills alone. He seems to be a player who gets that he's big and knows how to use his size. I think he can become what we thought David Jones can be but never became on a consistent basis.

Zibanejad is a guy who has been improving every year. Last year he took a big step forward.

Chiasson reminds me of David Moss, solid 3rd line winger but don't expect to much more than that out of him.

One player I covet a lot in the NHL right now is Charlie Coyle from the Wild.  6'-3" 220 lbs, RHS C, size, strength, fights, and has untapped offensive potential.  The Wild are married to Granlund and Koivu as their top 2 Centers and Coyle has not gotten much love despite showing a lot of promise offensively.  He's signed long term at $3.2-mil but could come to the Flames and be given a more offensive role.

I'm wondering if they would accept Backlund + Markus Granlund (so they can unite the Granlunds).  Or maybe they would like Wideman.

One player I covet a lot in the NHL right now is Charlie Coyle from the Wild.  6'-3" 220 lbs, RHS C, size, strength, fights, and has untapped offensive potential.  The Wild are married to Granlund and Koivu as their top 2 Centers and Coyle has not gotten much love despite showing a lot of promise offensively.  He's signed long term at $3.2-mil but could come to the Flames and be given a more offensive role.

I'm wondering if they would accept Backlund + Markus Granlund (so they can unite the Granlunds).  Or maybe they would like Wideman.

Now that's a realistic trade People! For all the right reasons and he fits in with the Calgary mold. I would offer the first deal simply because I suspect Wideman would nix a deal to the Wild by enforcing his NTC.

He was next to useless for the Pengies last year, and they would love to get rid of him.  Is that someone that really would make us better or is this another Mason Raymond situation, where his game has fallen off a cliff.  Don't know, but don't see him as an answer, especially for Wideman.  He is a pending UFA and is already making $4.5m.  We don't need that added contract pressure for next year.

The other guy I like from Pittsburgh is Patric Hornquist. He goes to the net hard and has a bit of Tomas Holmstrom to his game.

Beau Bennett for Wideman I would do.

I don't mind that idea, I just don't see Beau Bennett as a top 6 guy and if we are trading Wideman I would like to get a top 6 winger.

I think we still need depth size and scoring on the bottom 6 and if he can provide that, it would be great.

A year ago today, what would you expect in a wideman trade?

The other guy I like from Pittsburgh is Patric Hornquist. He goes to the net hard and has a bit of Tomas Holmstrom to his game.

I don't mind that idea, I just don't see Beau Bennett as a top 6 guy and if we are trading Wideman I would like to get a top 6 winger.

Sometimes a player needs to get out from under a shadow to be recognized, Bennett could be one of those players. Wideman I would be happy seeing play elsewhere.

I previously suggested we trade Wideman + Russell + extra for Adam Larsson from the Devils during the summer when it looked like Larsson and the Devils were at a standstill in terms of contract talks.  Maybe we tried but the Devils wouldn't do it... will never know.

Now that's a realistic trade People! For all the right reasons and he fits in with the Calgary mold. I would offer the first deal simply because I suspect Wideman would nix a deal to the Wild by enforcing his NTC.

Yup, would really like to get Charlie Coyle. Firstly, we lack RHS Centers.  Coyle gives us some added size and toughness that could afford us the luxury of not having to carry Bollig on the roster which is another added bonus.  I know Coyle isn't at the level of Bollig in terms of fighting abilities but at least he's a willing dance partner with size.

One player who is having a horrible start to the season is Nikita Kucherov.  11GP, 2G, 0A, and a -2.  Well, the entire "Triplets" line is doing poorly.  I wonder if Kucherov can be had for Wideman or Backlund?

ferland, Hathaway, jones, shore, bollig, H smith, carroll, Bryce Van Brabant, jooris, booms, grant, elson, Freddie Hamilton, lomburg plays big

They have to be able to play in the NHL though. Hathaway was close. And we also need big guys in the Top6 forwards. Ferland didn't impress before he got injured. Jones is on his way out. I still think Bouma is a 4th liner. The rest are possibly AHL lifers.

Jooris is up, but we'll see how he pans out. 4th line energy?

One player who is having a horrible start to the season is Nikita Kucherov.  11GP, 2G, 0A, and a -2.  Well, the entire "Triplets" line is doing poorly.  I wonder if Kucherov can be had for Wideman or Backlund?

He would be costly, as he showed his value last season.  He also had a sluggish start last season.  

As much as we want to move on from the transitional players (Wideman, Russell, Jones), their luke warm starts has their value too low to trade.  Wideman probably has the highest value of the bunch, but a trade will likely have to wait till he is showing a repeat of last season.  Russell has value only to teams looking for a shot-blocker, but the offers were likely way too low due to his -13 and lack of production.  He hasn't even looked good to the eye.

Ok, probably the first time I'm trying this, so forgive me if this isn't realistic (or is stupid)

To Canes

Russell

Ramo

To Calgary

Cam Ward

They get a backup tender and a D-man for the season. We get someone they gave up on and could use new scenery

To SJS

Russell w/1.5M retained

Ramo

To CGY

Stalock

They get a rental cheap to help with getting back into the playoff and beyond. We get a decent tender. Stalock's a UFA so SJS can resign him if they want him.

Now for wishful (and ironic) thinking

To Habs

Ramo

Klimchuck

To CGY

Mike Cordon

They get a prospect and won't mind having a different back up. They have Price. They get a prospect to sweeten the deal.

Thoughts? I tried.

Ok, probably the first time I'm trying this, so forgive me if this isn't realistic (or is stupid)

To Canes

Russell

Ramo

To Calgary

Cam Ward

They get a backup tender and a D-man for the season. We get someone they gave up on and could use new scenery

To SJS

Russell w/1.5M retained

Ramo

To CGY

Stalock

They get a rental cheap to help with getting back into the playoff and beyond. We get a decent tender. Stalock's a UFA so SJS can resign him if they want him.

To Habs

Ramo

Klimchuck

To CGY

Mike Cordon

They get a prospect and won't mind having a different back up. They have Price. They get a prospect to sweeten the deal.

Thoughts? I tried.

Giving away an asset like Russell for a cap dump is wrong.  We tried to make a deal for their 1st rounder just to take Ward.  Not that Russell's value is super high right now, but he is worth more than a negative value trade.  

Have you looked at Stalock's numbers for this year?  No better than Ortio's right now.  He had one good NHL backup season.

I think I would rather give Carolina Smid or Engelland or Raymond and a goalie for Ward.  The only reason that even makes sense is to get rid of a high priced contract for a few years for one that goes away this year.

Habs don't want Ramo back.  They had him before.

Giving away an asset like Russell for a cap dump is wrong.  We tried to make a deal for their 1st rounder just to take Ward.  Not that Russell's value is super high right now, but he is worth more than a negative value trade.  

Have you looked at Stalock's numbers for this year?  No better than Ortio's right now.  He had one good NHL backup season.

I think I would rather give Carolina Smid or Engelland or Raymond and a goalie for Ward.  The only reason that even makes sense is to get rid of a high priced contract for a few years for one that goes away this year.

Ward's UFA too.

Anyway, I was trying to focus on teams with good backups that we could attempt to get. Ramo is included so the other team has a backup. Know of any other GK's we could target? I don't want Lehtonen and Dallas isn't giving up Niemi. Think something like a Darcy Kemper for Grandlund would work or be worth it?

I think youre right.

But I really doubt we get anything for Russell right now, hes playing like a pylon.

To Canes

Russell

Ramo

To Calgary

Cam Ward

To SJS

Russell w/1.5M retained

Ramo

To CGY

Stalock

To Habs

Ramo

Klimchuck

To CGY

Mike Cordon

Thoughts? I tried.

Nice first attempts.  The thing I would say is you are way undervaluing our goalies and way overvaluing the other teams'.  I don't see any of the guys you suggested as significant upgrades over Ramo.  Cam Ward at least has a good history but he's way overpaid and I'm not sure he's still got it.

Ward's UFA too.

Anyway, I was trying to focus on teams with good backups that we could attempt to get. Ramo is included so the other team has a backup. Know of any other GK's we could target? I don't want Lehtonen and Dallas isn't giving up Niemi. Think something like a Darcy Kemper for Grandlund would work or be worth it?

I'd be targeting Tampa Bay. They have three very good goalies and mega-Cap issues in the near future.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/10/31/rumors-ducks-flames-lightning-jets-and-sabres/

Here is a link of Friedman talking about which goalies might be available.

Bishop and Andersen would be interesting. I really like Gibson, but I would be surprised if Anaheim traded him as he has elite potential.

So we start the season with 3 goalies, which none of which are capable of being a starter. Than we make a trade at the deadline to get Hamilton to than have the best d core on paper. Yet in our own end it is like a kindergarten fire drill trying to get the puck out. It is ironically hilarious if you think about it. The areas that were to be of strength are the weakest areas.

The only bright spots this year Mony, Bennett, JH and Colburne. Brodie, Hamilton have huge upside. Gio although might stay I would have no issue moving him as well. If we are rebuilding than rebuild, the foundation is very poor in many areas.

So just spit balling here:

TO NYI Gio TO CGY De Haan, Michael Dal Colle, prospect and 1st

Or

To EDM Gio To CGY Yakapov, Davidson, prospect  and a 1st.

or

To Columbus GIO to CGY Ryan Murray, Atkison, Rychel and 1st

Why trade Gio, Simply this. His no trade clause and contract does not kick in until next season. He brings in valuable pieces in a trade that fill move voids than he leaves. I think the trades to NYI would make the most sense for both clubs. The trade with EDM , scares me, and the Columbus one has to been designed as such as to make room for GIO contract. Atkinson is movable only to make room for the contract. The parts from Columbus that most intrigue me are Murray and  Rychel

So we start the season with 3 goalies, which none of which are capable of being a starter. Than we make a trade at the deadline to get Hamilton to than have the best d core on paper. Yet in our own end it is like a kindergarten fire drill trying to get the puck out. It is ironically hilarious if you think about it. The areas that were to be of strength are the weakest areas.

The only bright spots this year Mony, Bennett, JH and Colburne. Brodie, Hamilton have huge upside. Gio although might stay I would have no issue moving him as well. If we are rebuilding than rebuild, the foundation is very poor in many areas.

Or

or

Why trade Gio, Simply this. His no trade clause and contract does not kick in until next season. He brings in valuable pieces in a trade that fill move voids than he leaves. I think the trades to NYI would make the most sense for both clubs. The trade with EDM , scares me, and the Columbus one has to been designed as such as to make room for GIO contract. Atkinson is movable only to make room for the contract. The parts from Columbus that most intrigue me are Murray and  Rychel

Spit in the other direction because these proposed deals solve nothing.

Or

or

This is probably the worst idea ive seen recently. Trade our captain for a bunch of crap, yes there is some good players in the mix but nothing worth trading gio for. Our D zone coverage has not been that bad, its been a couple breakdowns and then a weak goal. The only pairing that has had problems exciting the zone the past couple games since about the New york game has been the russell/wideman pairing. 

It is amazing where people's disappointment take them. The way the team is playing now is what I expected last year. We exceeded expectations in 2014/15 made some good trade deals and signings to keep moving in the right direction. Stumble 2015.

This is an improved team on paper however BH has to get the right players playing with each other. Correct the mess out front of these goalies and we may find some consistency in our total game.

Honestly all this experimenting by BH is painfully obvious and not getting us where we need to be fast enough.

I know most think Giordano and Brodie together is the way to go however having 1 strong pair and the other pairings average or worse is not the way to go. Russell and Wideman together are last year's story and are terrible together. Putting Hamilton with Engelland or Smid is that really the way to go, I don't think so.

Upfront tinkering with Backlund AGAIN to see if he can be an offensive force was a complete waste of time. The top 2 lines now look to support the key players we want to see mature but still not ideal. Who is best with Backlund as a shut down type line because we sure need one. Are we really going to waste another year rendering Stajan useless on the 4th line with a couple of duds on either side ?

Instead of yelling for trades I think they need to get what they have in front of them playing in the best spots to enhance player success.

• Like 1

This is probably the worst idea ive seen recently. Trade our captain for a bunch of crap, yes there is some good players in the mix but nothing worth trading gio for. Our D zone coverage has not been that bad, its been a couple breakdowns and then a weak goal. The only pairing that has had problems exciting the zone the past couple games since about the New york game has been the russell/wideman pairing. 

So because he is the captain he is not trade able? Last i looked we are in a rebuild and in last place? You may not like the pieces involved which is fine. Who do you build your club around, Gio, JH, Bennet or Mony, you can only pick 3? Your crazy to move the forwards and just by age, pay structure and return the simply solution is moving Gio. Not sure which games your watching but outside of goal tending D coverage is a close 2nd in terms of why we lost games. 

The process is not to trade yourself out of this cause you can't. However, if we have to take a step back this season I sure would like to have better shoes in place to do so.

It is amazing where people's disappointment take them. The way the team is playing now is what I expected last year. We exceeded expectations in 2014/15 made some good trade deals and signings to keep moving in the right direction. Stumble 2015.

This is an improved team on paper however BH has to get the right players playing with each other. Correct the mess out front of these goalies and we may find some consistency in our total game.

Honestly all this experimenting by BH is painfully obvious and not getting us where we need to be fast enough.

I know most think Giordano and Brodie together is the way to go however having 1 strong pair and the other pairings average or worse is not the way to go. Russell and Wideman together are last year's story and are terrible together. Putting Hamilton with Engelland or Smid is that really the way to go, I don't think so.

Upfront tinkering with Backlund AGAIN to see if he can be an offensive force was a complete waste of time. The top 2 lines now look to support the key players we want to see mature but still not ideal. Who is best with Backlund as a shut down type line because we sure need one. Are we really going to waste another year rendering Stajan useless on the 4th line with a couple of duds on either side ?

Instead of yelling for trades I think they need to get what they have in front of them playing in the best spots to enhance player success.

You echo my feelings about this team mostly.  The line juggling is making two things obvious - Johnny is 1st line no matter who he plays with.  Monahan's line is the secondary scoring line without Johnny.  Give Hudler back to Johhny and put Frolik on Mony's RW.

Shelter those two lines as much as you can.  They are going to score 90% of the points right now.

Gio/Wideman and Brodie/Hamilton was likely the plan, so now that you have Brodie back, set them up that way.  Gio/Wideman was starting to look good.  Hamilton needs a steady influence like Brodie.  As much as I have argued against splitting up Gio and Brodie, the alternative has been Russell/Wideman, which is the worst pairing possible right now.

Backlund has not been bad this year, but offense dies on his line, so completely bury that line.  Jooris is fine, so put Jones with Stajan and give them a decent winger.  Bollig is not what I mean.  Put Raymond there and call it the 3rd line if you want, just that they get some O-zone starts.

• Like 2

I know this might be a long shot but what do you guys think it would take to get Matt Murray from Pittsburgh.

He is absolutely dominating the AHL, and at 21 is he is really young. I don't think I have seen a goalie put up the kind of numbers he has put up.