The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

My general thinking is that most players 24 and under should improve year over year.  Age 25-29 will usually be fairly flat.  Age 30-32 might see minor declines, then it’s a crapshoot after that as to how great the regression will be.  Using that highly unscientific criteria, the following players have a high chance of being better next season.

Bennett, Jankowski, Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Kulak, Gilles, Lazar, Klimchuk, Foo, Lindholm, Hanifin.

The following players have a high chance of regression.

Brouwer, Smith, Giordano.

Overall, I think we stand to gain more than we lose this year from Father Time.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

My general thinking is that most players 24 and under should improve year over year.  Age 25-29 will usually be fairly flat.  Age 30-32 might see minor declines, then it’s a crapshoot after that as to how great the regression will be.  Using that highly unscientific criteria, the following players have a high chance of being better next season.

Bennett, Jankowski, Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Kulak, Gilles, Lazar, Klimchuk, Foo, Lindholm, Hanifin.

I agree with this line of thinking! Especially if we can keep the injuries to a minimum. 

11 hours ago, MAC331 said:

It always amazes me that no one gives another season of experience as an improvement heading into the next. One would hope that professional players like any other human learns from their mistakes and work on self improvement.

Sure we do. I have been saying for years the Nucks have been getting older and slower with each passing year.

10 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Sure we do. I have been saying for years the Nucks have been getting older and slower with each passing year.

Brilliant deduction

11 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Exactly ABC and all players are being measured each and every season. I would even stretch some into the 25 to 29 group if not just for more towards the mental part of their game. As you have pointed out we have a large group that should get progressively better over the next 3 years.

12 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Put Brouwer on defence then, because the only way that he can regress is to skate backwards.

On 7/31/2018 at 0:27 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

It was BT who said he liked the Nashville model(strong top 4 D) and would like to be similar. Maybe you should explain your thoughts to him instead of criticizing those commenting on his thoughts.

But the Nashville model also inclues being strong in the nets.

Smith on a good day might be close to Rinne but the Preds have what looks like a future starter in Saros backing him up while being more than capable when Rinne needs a break. Rinne is slowly cutting down his # of games as they transition.

They also signed Niclas Westerholm to develop along with Miroslav Svoboda for the more distant future.

6 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

But the Nashville model also inclues being strong in the nets.

Smith on a good day might be close to Rinne but the Preds have what looks like a future starter in Saros backing him up while being more than capable when Rinne needs a break. Rinne is slowly cutting down his # of games as they transition.

They also signed Niclas Westerholm to develop along with Miroslav Svoboda for the more distant future.

Smith on a good day is close to Rinne for sure, but his bad days were far too often and too many times on home ice.  Overall I would say I would rather not have another Jekyll and Hyde season from Mr. Smith, because Jekyll covered up some really ugliness from Hyde.

• Like 1

Looks like the Flames are going to buy out Brouwers' contract as he was put on unconditional waivers today. That should free up some cap space

There are some rumors around that the Flames are looking for a number one goalie. Nothing super credible. But it's out there. Saros name came up, though I have trouble seeing Nashville trading him. 

I have made my views clear. Goal tending is the biggest question mark this season and is an even greater one beyond that. 

I expect the Flames are in the market. But options / price / lack of assets may limit their opportunity to pull the trigger. 

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

There are some rumors around that the Flames are looking for a number one goalie. Nothing super credible. But it's out there. Saros name came up, though I have trouble seeing Nashville trading him. 

I have made my views clear. Goal tending is the biggest question mark this season and is an even greater one beyond that. 

I expect the Flames are in the market. But options / price / lack of assets may limit their opportunity to pull the trigger. 

Good news.

I would be worried if BT thought we are good enough in goal to compete this season and beyond.  I have also made my views clear...it starts with Brodie and there's a chance the return will be decent.

Wonder what GG thinks of Stone...

With Sekera potentially out for the season they need an experienced D that can play top 4 minutes. This season is too important for them to trust Russell, Bear, Bouchard or Benning to play 2nd pair minutes for them

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

With Sekera potentially out for the season they need an experienced D that can play top 4 minutes. This season is too important for them to trust Russell, Bear, Bouchard or Benning to play 2nd pair minutes for them

A 3rd round pick for Stone? 

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Well, they can't afford his salary directly.

They have $4.9m left and Nurse is not yet signed.

11 hours ago, kehatch said:

Kehatch your thinking IMO is ahead of its time. I agree with what you have here but most teams that want to win a SC such as NAS will want both Renne and Saro to manage it. There are a few others that have that "just about ready" goalie backing up but for a trade consideration the price will always be high. We may be best to play out this seasonwith what we have and then start considering players such as Frolik, Brodie, Hamonic or eve Giordano for a top potential starter.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, they can't afford his salary directly.

They have $4.9m left and Nurse is not yet signed.

Sekera will go on IR, which would give them the relief they need for this season anyway.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kehatch said:

I'm thinking Rittich and/or Gillies would have performed just fine behind the NAS stifling defence for 26 games last season.  I'm not seeing Saros as an upgrade to either goalie.  How well do you think Saros would have performed behind last years Flames team for 27 games as backup?  Our team defense was not that great last season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

I'm thinking Rittich and/or Gillies would have performed just fine behind the NAS stifling defence for 26 games last season.  I'm not seeing Saros as an upgrade to either goalie.  How well do you think Saros would have performed behind last years Flames team for 27 games as backup?  Our team defense was not that great last season. 

at 5 on 5 last year the Flames allowed less shots, less scoring chances and less high danger chances then Nashville. 

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

at 5 on 5 last year the Flames allowed less shots, less scoring chances and less high danger chances then Nashville. 

Mind blown.

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Saros is a big upgrade on both Rittich and Gilles. He is exactly the kind of player the Flames should be targeting (young quality backup looking ready to be a starter.) 

Putting him in as a 1B option a season with Smith would allow the Flames to manage Smith's minutes while grooming Saros for a starting role in a season.

The issue is cost and availability. Rinne is in the same situation as Smith so I don't know why Nashville would trade him unless they are getting an overpayment. 

16 hours ago, kehatch said:

I read that 1 myself but view it as a pipedream.

Poile locked him in @ 1.5 x 3 as he transitions to replace Rinne. They'd be nuts to trade him & Poile is the GM furthest from that.

We need somebody though. Slim market IMO with Grubauer gone to the Avs for a 2nd & the Orpik salary dump/buyout. Maybe our best bet is a former starter like 30 year old Reimer if the Panthers retain a tad.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Standby, I'll have to review the game tapes :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Saros is a big upgrade on both Rittich and Gilles. He is exactly the kind of player the Flames should be targeting (young quality backup looking ready to be a starter.) 

Putting him in as a 1B option a season with Smith would allow the Flames to manage Smith's minutes while grooming Saros for a starting role in a season.

The issue is cost and availability. Rinne is in the same situation as Smith so I don't know why Nashville would trade him unless they are getting an overpayment. 

Seems a bit small for starter material.  The bigger goaltenders have had the better success recently.  I like Gillies upside.

9 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Seems a bit small for starter material.  The bigger goaltenders have had the better success recently.  I like Gillies upside.

Yeah but Gaudreau seems a bit small for a NHL 1st line player. :lol:

22 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I read that 1 myself but view it as a pipedream.

Poile locked him in @ 1.5 x 3 as he transitions to replace Rinne. They'd be nuts to trade him & Poile is the GM furthest from that.

We need somebody though. Slim market IMO with Grubauer gone to the Avs for a 2nd & the Orpik salary dump/buyout. Maybe our best bet is a former starter like 30 year old Reimer if the Panthers retain a tad.

Ya no way Saros is available now that NAS signed him this summer.  It will take an overpayment.

I am with kehatch on ideology though.

I'm putting ceiling on Rittich as a serviceable backup.  Gillies is a full year away from NHL ready.