The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Anderson and Valimaki have looked good. Both had taken turns struggling, but both have been improving steadily as they have got more games. I don't love Stone, but he has been okay and we are probably stuck with him. 

So do the Flames try and trade Hamonic when he is healthy? I don't want to sit a kid that is playing well, and if you sit Stone you are wasting 3 million. 

I don't have an opinion yet. But it will be interesting to monitor as we see some more games. 

I don't think we can afford to be trading away depth. If we traded away Stone or Hamonic, we would be one injury away from Prout having to play important games and minutes.

If we were to trade a defenseman, I would probably move Brodie before I moved Hamonic. Brodie being extremely soft on the puck and in defensive zone directly lead to the  2 goals last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think we can afford to be trading away depth. If we traded away Stone or Hamonic, we would be one injury away from Prout having to play important games and minutes.

If we were to trade a defenseman, I would probably move Brodie before I moved Hamonic. Brodie being extremely soft on the puck and in defensive zone directly lead to the  2 goals last night.

I could see Prout going on waivers as Hamonic returns. It may be expensive but I would use Hamonic and Stone within the 3rd pairing and leave Andersson playing with Hanifin.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I could see Prout going on waivers as Hamonic returns. It may be expensive but I would use Hamonic and Stone within the 3rd pairing and leave Andersson playing with Hanifin.

I don't follow. I believe we keep Prout for smacking purposes, not really playing purposes. Hamonic is far less effective at that, especially right now. I suppose we still have Peluso. If that is what you are saying, then it makes sense (i.e. keep punchy face Peluso, and waive curb stomper Prout).

4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I don't follow. I believe we keep Prout for smacking purposes, not really playing purposes. Hamonic is far less effective at that, especially right now. I suppose we still have Peluso. If that is what you are saying, then it makes sense (i.e. keep punchy face Peluso, and waive curb stomper Prout).

What I am saying is we need to maintain the RS of our defense with the best players we have available to us. I guess they could stay with two spare defensemen with Prout being one of them and only one forward spare. Then you will have the decision of whether Prout ever plays over either Stone or Hamonic. Fighting is making a fast exit from the game.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I don't get this.  At the top, you say trading Stone is the end of depth, yet trading Brodie over him somehow makes sense?  I don't disagree with your Brodie assessment, but why do you trade Brodie over Stone?  They are not even comparable players.  

I am fine with trading Stone, if there is some value coming back.  Maybe a TDL trade works better for us.  Free up cap is the no brainer part.  Andersson looks to be on his way to making Stone an extra.  This isn't a hate Stone post, just the reality that Stone as a depth defender is fine, but don't count on him providing 3/4 capability.  And if that's true, then you don't need that depth for $3.5m.   

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I don't get this.  At the top, you say trading Stone is the end of depth, yet trading Brodie over him somehow makes sense?  I don't disagree with your Brodie assessment, but why do you trade Brodie over Stone?  They are not even comparable players.  

I am fine with trading Stone, if there is some value coming back.  Maybe a TDL trade works better for us.  Free up cap is the no brainer part.  Andersson looks to be on his way to making Stone an extra.  This isn't a hate Stone post, just the reality that Stone as a depth defender is fine, but don't count on him providing 3/4 capability.  And if that's true, then you don't need that depth for $3.5m.   

I wouldn't trade any defensemen at this point in time unless we were getting a clear upgrade for our top 4.

Like Kehatch I don't think we would find a taker for Stone, so I think we are stuck with him. I was more saying that if we were to trade a defenseman and we assume Stone is immovable, I would just move Brodie before Hamonic. That said I wouldn't move anyone right now.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn't trade any defensemen at this point in time unless we were getting a clear upgrade for our top 4.

Like Kehatch I don't think we would find a taker for Stone, so I think we are stuck with him. I was more saying that if we were to trade a defenseman and we assume Stone is immovable, I would just move Brodie before Hamonic. That said I wouldn't move anyone right now.

Fair to say no other team has come asking for Stone.

28 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Fair to say no other team has come asking for Stone.

That we know of.

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Okay, so I would agree that if Stone is unmovable, then Brodie might make more sense.

PITTS may be in the market for a RHS D-man.  
Schultz is gone, likely for most of the season.

Maybe Olesiak and a prospect or pick for Stone?

Still gives us some depth, but on the left side.

Better than Prout.

3 hours ago, kehatch said:

Anderson and Valimaki have looked good. Both had taken turns struggling, but both have been improving steadily as they have got more games. I don't love Stone, but he has been okay and we are probably stuck with him. 

So do the Flames try and trade Hamonic when he is healthy? I don't want to sit a kid that is playing well, and if you sit Stone you are wasting 3 million. 

I don't have an opinion yet. But it will be interesting to monitor as we see some more games. 

I some times feel bad for BT. He, does the right thing by extending Stone and then Stone now kind of looks uninterested. BT payed a good ransom for Hamonic but now Hamonic seems lost out there. BT will never recoup close what he gave up for Hamonic. I also like the 2 young guys. They can both fly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFan99 said:

I some times feel bad for BT. He, does the right thing by extending Stone and then Stone now kind of looks uninterested. BT payed a good ransom for Hamonic but now Hamonic seems lost out there. BT will never recoup close what he gave up for Hamonic. I also like the 2 young guys. They can both fly. 

And reading these forums I thought the knock on Andersson was that he was slow. I haven’t noticed that. His Decisions maybe a bit behind but we’d hope he learns from that.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

And reading these forums I thought the knock on Andersson was that he was slow. I haven’t noticed that. His Decisions maybe a bit behind but we’d hope he learns from that.

Last year, he was a bit slower due to extra pounds.  He came in this year fitter and slimmer.

The coach came out this year and said that his decisions need to be faster.

I would say that last game was his best as a Flame.

Very smart decisions.

Didn't take a penalty making an excellent defensive play.

Trusted in final minutes of a game we needed to win.

Would like to see him shoot more.  He defers too often, though he has a very hard shot.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Last year, he was a bit slower due to extra pounds.  He came in this year fitter and slimmer.

The coach came out this year and said that his decisions need to be faster.

I would say that last game was his best as a Flame.

Very smart decisions.

Didn't take a penalty making an excellent defensive play.

Trusted in final minutes of a game we needed to win.

Would like to see him shoot more.  He defers too often, though he has a very hard shot.

Getting shots through would make him more dangerous for sure!

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

That play against St. Louis. The second goal against us. He, takes his man along the wall when he should of just tried to slow the guy down and hold his defensive ground. It, put him out of position and left Valimaki alone. He's, done his time and deserves a long leash.

I like him better then Hamonic in that slot. 

I could see a player like Frolik being put on the trading block, he's become somewhat expendable with the new found depth on the team. Hard to say if BT would even extend him and at what cost/term?

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Better than Prout.

Leafs need a second pairing RHS D man. Some say Nylander  may become available if the right DMan was offered.

1 minute ago, rickross said:

I could see a player like Frolik being put on the trading block, he's become somewhat expendable with the new found depth on the team. Hard to say if BT would even extend him and at what cost/term?

Frolík is still a useful player for this team. Bit overpaid but he’s a useful player so not an issue IMO. They may trade him this offseason, but I definitely don’t think they will extend him at the completion of his 5 year deal he signed here 

2 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Leafs need a second pairing RHS D man.

TO has much more cap space, so they would be a reasonable partner.

Can;t say what we would get from them in return.

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Brodie is on our top pair. Hamonic is on the IR and hasn't played well in Calgary. Trading Brodie leaves a much bigger gap then trading Hamonic. 

Right now I would keep all of our D. But Andersson and Valimaki prove we are better with the then without them then they may need to move someone to make room. It won't be someone from our top pair, and they probably can't move Stone. 

Chances are they don't move anyone until the summer though to keep us deep at the position. 

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Better than Prout.

Not happening. Salary cap says hi on that trade, the Pens will not be adding anymore salary to their blueline. 

If, we could just find another Younger Dman like Gio. He covers everyone's Hash Rate that misses an assignment in the D-zone. He, digs out pucks in the corner in the D-zone when it's the centres job. Gets, the puck skates up the ice & hangs on to the puck until the last second gets walloped but makes a play then moves in and scores a goal. Never injured maybe once. No, one else on the D plays like that. 

I could see us trading Frolik sometime this season.  He's too good and too expensive to be playing 7 minutes a night.  The depth up front is pushing him down though.  It's great to have the kind of depth we do, but Frolik may have more value to us in a trade.  We already have depth in guys like Hathaway and Mangiapagne, heck even Lazar doesn't hurt you much playing 7 minutes a game.  Should be able to get a 2nd and a 3rd rounder for Frolik I would think.  We will need to trade him at some point I believe just to make room for Tkachuk's next contract.

9 hours ago, kehatch said:

Brodie is on our top pair. Hamonic is on the IR and hasn't played well in Calgary. Trading Brodie leaves a much bigger gap then trading Hamonic. 

Right now I would keep all of our D. But Andersson and Valimaki prove we are better with the then without them then they may need to move someone to make room. It won't be someone from our top pair, and they probably can't move Stone. 

Chances are they don't move anyone until the summer though to keep us deep at the position. 

I would entertain a Nylander Trade with TO by offering Brodie. As the removal of Brodie will bring some temporary discomfort, I for one think Hanifin can provide adequate service.  Really the only attribute Brodie has is his skating, which Hanifin is already better in that department at 21.

In the near future your going to have to move some dead weight out in Stone and Frohlick anyway. The removal of these two as well as Brodie gives us tons of cap space for MT and Benny next year while still keeping the forward group in place.

39 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I would entertain a Nylander Trade with TO by offering Brodie. As the removal of Brodie will bring some temporary discomfort, I for one think Hanifin can provide adequate service.  Really the only attribute Brodie has is his skating, which Hanifin is already better in that department at 21.

In the near future your going to have to move some dead weight out in Stone and Frohlick anyway. The removal of these two as well as Brodie gives us tons of cap space for MT and Benny next year while still keeping the forward group in place.

If Nylander is worth $8m, and that's what we sign him to this season, That makes it difficult for next season.

Tkachuk, Bennett and at least a starter in nets.

We lose a #2 D-man, and can't afford Frolik and Stone next season.

Brodie going the other way doesn't cut it as a proper return, sor would it help us in the cap area.

Would need to be Bennett + Brodie to help offset the cap.

And then the $8m is the new baseline.

Tkachuk is not worth $2m less than Nylander, especially if he breaks through 60 points this season.