The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14 hours ago, rickross said:

I could see a player like Frolik being put on the trading block, he's become somewhat expendable with the new found depth on the team. Hard to say if BT would even extend him and at what cost/term?

I really don't see Frolik as expendable.. The oilers dumped all their experienced players in the name of a youth movement and never recovered.. Frolik is still needed even as a mentor for Bennett,, Montreal would never have won all those cups with out Steve Shutt.. To me, Frolik is our Shutt// And I'm a bruins fan so that's high praise

36 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

I really don't see Frolik as expendable.. The oilers dumped all their experienced players in the name of a youth movement and never recovered.. Frolik is still needed even as a mentor for Bennett,, Montreal would never have won all those cups with out Steve Shutt.. To me, Frolik is our Shutt// And I'm a bruins fan so that's high praise

Frolik is no Steve Shutt but I do think we need Frolik for at least this season should we be playoff bound, if not I would trade him.

We probably need to move Frolik to free up cap space to sign Tkachuk long term.  The way Tkachuk is playing, he's looking at $7-mil-per x8.  

We need to move Stone too but that's kind of impossible so, Frolik is the odd man out.  Good player who will not be hard to move.

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We probably need to move Frolik to free up cap space to sign Tkachuk long term.  The way Tkachuk is playing, he's looking at $7-mil-per x8.  

We need to move Stone too but that's kind of impossible so, Frolik is the odd man out.  Good player who will not be hard to move.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about any of this right now.

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Frankly I wouldn't worry about any of this right now.

Yups true.  It's something to look at this summer when we need to clear room for Tkachuk or the elusive starting goalie via UFA.

47 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yups true.  It's something to look at this summer when we need to clear room for Tkachuk or the elusive starting goalie via UFA.

Probably both, considering Smith's age.  I hope they can nail down Tkachuk before he goes Draisaitl on us (points that is).

11 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

I think Frolik would be useful on any team, it's not that I underrate him. He's fallen down the depth chart, he's a healthy scratch pulling in over $4M/yr...not to say he's no longer needed on this team but his value has taken a hit. He's a great depth player to have and can still be effective but I already value Dube over Frolik at this point. 

1 hour ago, rickross said:

I think Frolik would be useful on any team, it's not that I underrate him. He's fallen down the depth chart, he's a healthy scratch pulling in over $4M/yr...not to say he's no longer needed on this team but his value has taken a hit. He's a great depth player to have and can still be effective but I already value Dube over Frolik at this point. 

Then you are only fooling yourself.. Dube has played a couple of games with the energy of a wide eyed rookie.. As good as he's been,.. It will still be Frolik the coach rolls out in game 60 for an important point in the standings

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

Then you are only fooling yourself.. Dube has played a couple of games with the energy of a wide eyed rookie.. As good as he's been,.. It will still be Frolik the coach rolls out in game 60 for an important point in the standings

Maybe. It is certainly possible. But Dube isn't just playing with energy. He is a smart player with a decent skill set. 

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If Nylander is worth $8m, and that's what we sign him to this season, That makes it difficult for next season.

Tkachuk, Bennett and at least a starter in nets.

We lose a #2 D-man, and can't afford Frolik and Stone next season.

Brodie going the other way doesn't cut it as a proper return, sor would it help us in the cap area.

Would need to be Bennett + Brodie to help offset the cap.

And then the $8m is the new baseline.

Tkachuk is not worth $2m less than Nylander, especially if he breaks through 60 points this season.

Not too mention we would also need to cut someone from our forward Corp to make room on the roster.  Who do you bump down on right wing? Does Neal suddenly become our fourth line RW?  Does Ryan become the extra forward?  That’s poor asset management in my opinion.

7 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Not too mention we would also need to cut someone from our forward Corp to make room on the roster.  Who do you bump down on right wing? Does Neal suddenly become our fourth line RW?  Does Ryan become the extra forward?  That’s poor asset management in my opinion.

It isn't poor asset management its called depth. Trading Frohlik to replace with Dube I am fine with.  Benny to me isn't going any where. I get the he should be this or that concept based on his draft position. However, based on the way he has played,his style he is slotted in the correct spot with the correct pay,we need guys like Bennett. Really has he had the best coaching, Gully was way over his head and it showed.

If they went after Nylander and its a big if, its Brodie +, Add Frohlik as well if you wish.  At some point this club has to start promoting from within and expect your younger guys to step up to be successful.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

It isn't poor asset management its called depth. Trading Frohlik to replace with Dube I am fine with.  Benny to me isn't going any where. I get the he should be this or that concept based on his draft position. However, based on the way he has played,his style he is slotted in the correct spot with the correct pay,we need guys like Bennett. Really has he had the best coaching, Gully was way over his head and it showed.

If they went after Nylander and its a big if, its Brodie +, Add Frohlik as well if you wish.  At some point this club has to start promoting from within and expect your younger guys to step up to be successful.

Nylander is a luxury we can't afford.

The Leafs need a D-man that can shut things down.

We would need to rid ourselves of $6m+ to be able to afford his new contract, for the long term.

He won't pay until he is signed.

The only deal that gives Totonto the type of D-man they need is Gio +.

Down the road that would be okay, when we know that Gio is trending down.

Right now, he is the best D-man we have.

Straight up swap, we would be in the same spot as Totonto; goal scoring and an inadequate defense.

To counter that, we don't have any high profile prospects that will score like Nylander.

Two years from now MAYBE Zav is that guy, but that's still a long shot and years away.

We have some middling prospects that can help right now or the near future.

They may not amount to much, but still better going with them than Nylander and trying to shore up defense.

13 hours ago, rickross said:

I don't think the depth chart has been established just yet.

I'd love Nylander and I actually think the Flames could make a pretty good offer (assuming Leafs are opening to trading him which I don't think they are) but after bringing on Neal I think it's a no go. Can't tie that much $ up into 1 position and RW would have too much cap allocated to it with Neal, Nylander and Linholm. Only scenario that would make sense is to trade Backlund and move LIndholm to center but i'm not really in favor of moving Backlund. I also don't think Leafs will move Nylander I think he winds up signing a deal and they keep him. 

Cap really is not a big issue for the Flames right now. Assuming a 2.5 mill increase in the cap (which I think is conservative) they have 15 million of space for next year. Tkachuk takes around half of that probably so you have 7.5 mil to sign Bennett,2 goalies and 2-3 depth players. Depending on what they want to do in net will dictate how much cap space they need to/want to open up. 

Jacob De La Rose placed on waivers by MTL.

Any interest in making a claim?

6'3" LHS C/LW.

Nothing special with his stats.

Payback for Byron claiming?

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Jacob De La Rose placed on waivers by MTL.

Any interest in making a claim?

6'3" LHS C/LW.

Nothing special with his stats.

Payback for Byron claiming?

No. Low upside and probably would not be able to make this roster. I'd put him behind Klimchuk, Mangiapane and even Lazar when it came to the pecking order. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'd love Nylander and I actually think the Flames could make a pretty good offer (assuming Leafs are opening to trading him which I don't think they are) but after bringing on Neal I think it's a no go. Can't tie that much $ up into 1 position and RW would have too much cap allocated to it with Neal, Nylander and Linholm. Only scenario that would make sense is to trade Backlund and move LIndholm to center but i'm not really in favor of moving Backlund. I also don't think Leafs will move Nylander I think he winds up signing a deal and they keep him. 

Cap really is not a big issue for the Flames right now. Assuming a 2.5 mill increase in the cap (which I think is conservative) they have 15 million of space for next year. Tkachuk takes around half of that probably so you have 7.5 mil to sign Bennett,2 goalies and 2-3 depth players. Depending on what they want to do in net will dictate how much cap space they need to/want to open up. 

Ya ironically, trading Neal for Nylander would get it done for us cap wise.  No secret the Leafs want a RHS RD top pair.  I think they are happy with Kapanen with Matthews so they probably don't want Neal... Although Neal would give them some grit.

I can't imagine they would want Frolik.

Stone has negative trade value.

Andersson doesn't have enough recognition.  Medium trade value... If the Leafs are going for the Cup, then they will want proven D.

Brodie... 

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya ironically, trading Neal for Nylander would get it done for us cap wise.  No secret the Leafs want a RHS RD top pair.  I think they are happy with Kapanen with Matthews so they probably don't want Neal... Although Neal would give them some grit.

I can't imagine they would want Frolik.

Stone has negative trade value.

Andersson doesn't have enough recognition.  Medium trade value... If the Leafs are going for the Cup, then they will want proven D.

Brodie... 

The ask would be at a minimum Brodie and Bennett.  

Probably fair value.

Might hurt a bit until Hamonic returns.

Still might hurt after.

Losing Bennett would be bad, but not for what they get in return.

Losing Brodie as well hurts the RD, and we aren't exactly stacked there.

Close to a wash this year in cap.

With an improved Bennett, next year's cap would be even closer to a wash.

If you bumped Backlund to the 3rd line, you could have some interesting lines:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Nylander-Lindholm

Frolik-Backlund-Czarnik

Dube-Janko-Ryan

That gives you two solid scoring lines, a solid shutdown line, and an energy line.  The defense would be a bit of a shambles, but long term we will lose Brodie, Hamonic or Gio.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The ask would be at a minimum Brodie and Bennett.  

Probably fair value.

Might hurt a bit until Hamonic returns.

Still might hurt after.

Losing Bennett would be bad, but not for what they get in return.

Losing Brodie as well hurts the RD, and we aren't exactly stacked there.

Close to a wash this year in cap.

With an improved Bennett, next year's cap would be even closer to a wash.

If you bumped Backlund to the 3rd line, you could have some interesting lines:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Nylander-Lindholm

Frolik-Backlund-Czarnik

Dube-Janko-Ryan

That gives you two solid scoring lines, a solid shutdown line, and an energy line.  The defense would be a bit of a shambles, but long term we will lose Brodie, Hamonic or Gio.

I would really like to trade Neal because he's quickly beginning to look like a big mistake.  

At this point we lack top end depth at defense and goaltending. So I wouldn't move any defense for forward help where we are very deep. I get that Nylander is a very good offensive forward, but I just don't see how we would match up in a trade. 

If we move guys like Frolik, Bennett, Brodie or Hamonic it should be done to get an upgrade on the blueline or in net.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I would really like to trade Neal because he's quickly beginning to look like a big mistake.  

BT weakness seems to be signing free agents. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ya Neal looks so old out there.  It's not just slow but he falls and loses balance easily.  He gets pushed around.  

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Ya Neal looks so old out there.  It's not just slow but he falls and loses balance easily.  He gets pushed around.  

I think Neal should at least play on the second line instead of the third. In today's practice Frolik was placed on the second line instead of Neal, I don't get that :o

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Is there a GM where you would consider this a strength?

I think the concept of adding to your team via top FA is just a weakness overall. You miss more than you hit IMO. 

Think we are also being a little hyper critical of someone who has yet to play 10 games on a new team....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

I think Neal should at least play on the second line instead of the third. In today's practice Frolik was placed on the second line instead of Neal, I don't get that :o

He is so slow.  What is there to not get?