The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

One of my favorite stats on NHL.com is PTS/60, because it puts everyone on level ground.

Tampas forwards look like this: Kucherov (2.43), Marchessault (2.41), Stamkos (2.23), Drouin (1.79).

Drouin was one of Tampas most productive forwards when he got a chance.

Part of the problem for Drouin is that he got drafted by a good team, or at least a team that should be good, and you have a coach that one a Calder Cup in the AHL and he seems to favor the players that he won that championship with, which is fine as long as you are winning. I think 40 points in 89 games is pretty darn good for a 20 year old kid, does he have some things to learn about the NHL game, absolutely, but I have no doubt that he be 60+ point guy in the NHL.

Marshessault was the guy that basically took his spot.  

Baertschi is 41 points in 101 games, mostly playing 3rd line minutes.  Both players have let their advisors determine their future on their respective teams.  Drouin needs to suck it up and play his way onto the team.  If they are able to trade him, fine.  If not, he earns his way just like the other players.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2016/01/06/drouin-stamkos-canucks-predators-avs/

According to this Calgary was scouting an AHL game between Texas Stars (Dallas) and the Ontario Reign (LA). Dallas is much more likely a trade partner for us, and I could see them pushing to improve their roster for the playoffs. They have several intriguing prospects on their farm team, including a bunch of young defensemen.  There are a couple of guys that jump out to me, Brett Ritchie who is a big winger in the mold of Ferland, Esa Lindell who is a 6'3" defenseman who puts up points everywhere he goes and Julius Honka who is a smaller skilled defenseman who can QB a PP. Couple other guys that we could have been looking at were Devin Shore ©, Jason Dickinson ©, Matej Stransky (RW), Stephen Johns (RD), Mattias Backman (LD), Ludwig Bystrom (LD).

Dallas might want an experienced D so maybe Russell or Wideman going the other way for a young D prospect.

Or they could have been just scouting Ontario as the Heat play them on Friday.

Intriguing. 

I'd definitely be looking at a winger, not a D-man. We have a STOCK of those in junior: Kulak, Nakladal, Wotherspoon, Hickey, Kanzig, Bruce. Given our top 3 is locked in, I don't think we need to worry about D prospects any time soon. 

That said, if they have any good RW prospects, then that's very interesting. Brett Ritchie is therefore very interesting. 

I'd love to move Wideman and Engellend (if we can waive that NTC of Widemans)

Ferland has not done enough to elevate his offensive game to the next level (career 3-goals in 57-games).  He settles into the 3rd line role very nicely.  Klimchuk also hasn't shown any scoring abilities at the AHL level (3-points in 19-games) but has shown a very responsible defensive game.  I like him in the bottom 6. I like them both in the bottom 6.

Mangiapane has potential to break in as the second line LW in the future because he offers more offense.  A poor-man's Gaudreau.

I do think Bennett needs to move back to C.  He's in the worst scoring slump of his life.  Bennett's offense comes from his neutral zone speed and by pinning him to one side of the ice, his line of attack is shrunken by half.  When he blazes up the middle of the ice, he has more options.

ON IGINLA, Iginla has gone on record to say he will not waive his NMC to leave Colorado citing family reasons (aka his wife said so).  Maybe because his kids have settled into school and whatever.  So, considering the Avs are likely to miss the playoffs this season and Iginla still doesn't want to be traded to a contender, that suggests to me Iginla does not want to win a Stanley Cup.  Ever.  I do not want him back on this team if that's true.

Agreed on Bennett. I think everyone but Hartley does. 

I think that's very unfair. He has also gone on record that he believe that the Avs can compete in the playoffs. And they're not very far out of it now with several good pieces. The only reason they aren't in now is because they're mauled by the other teams in the Central on a regular basis, but they're improving. 

He could well make the playoffs and have a shot a the cup there this or next year. To say that he doesn't want to win the cup is very...odd. 

Anyone wanting Luke Schenn in a deal can tick him off the no list as he was just traded to the Kings. They announced it on the Fan as details to come. Sounds like Lecavalier and Schenn to LA for details yet to be determined. Steinberg said that it's off a Mackenzie tweet. 

Intriguing.

I'd definitely be looking at a winger, not a D-man. We have a STOCK of those in junior: Kulak, Nakladal, Wotherspoon, Hickey, Kanzig, Bruce. Given our top 3 is locked in, I don't think we need to worry about D prospects any time soon.

That said, if they have any good RW prospects, then that's very interesting. Brett Ritchie is therefore very interesting.

I'd love to move Wideman and Engellend (if we can waive that NTC of Widemans)

Agreed on Bennett. I think everyone but Hartley does.

I think that's very unfair. He has also gone on record that he believe that the Avs can compete in the playoffs. And they're not very far out of it now with several good pieces. The only reason they aren't in now is because they're mauled by the other teams in the Central on a regular basis, but they're improving.

He could well make the playoffs and have a shot a the cup there this or next year. To say that he doesn't want to win the cup is very...odd.

Of the D you listed Hickey is the closest to a lock to become a full time NHLer. The rest are fringe NHLer. Defense is one of the if not the most important positions in hockey, you can't have enough D prospects, wingers are much easier to find. Nakladal is the our best bet to come up and help out our NHL lineup and I'm not even sure about that as he hasn't played a single NHL game.

Anyone wanting Luke Schenn in a deal can tick him off the no list as he was just traded to the Kings. They announced it on the Fan as details to come. Sounds like Lecavalier and Schenn to LA for details yet to be determined. Steinberg said that it's off a Mackenzie tweet. 

Looks like a done deal.  The Flyers retain $2.25-mil aav on Lecavalier and $1.8-mil on Schenn.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=796379

For Jordan Weal and a 3rd round pick.

Looks like a done deal.  The Flyers retain $2.25-mil aav on Lecavalier and $1.8-mil on Schenn.

Main part of the return for the Flyers is 3.5 in cap space.

That & Lecavalier said he'd retire after the season so the retention is short term.

Hex has amazed me in his short time as Flyers GM. He's ditched so many of Homer's mistakes.

Main part of the return for the Flyers is 3.5 in cap space.

That & Lecavalier said he'd retire after the season so the retention is short term.

Hex has amazed me in his short time as Flyers GM. He's ditched so many of Homer's mistakes.

Flyers did well to ditch some cap and get a few pieces back.

LA adds some size which, even if they can't skate, LA seems to make it work. They didn't have to give up much to get them and both are done at the end of the season.

Seth Jones for Ryan Johanson! WOW

This deal makes so much sense for both teams. Johansen gives Nashville a true number 1 center, I am not sure that they have ever had a number 1 center. Jones was never going to be a top pairing guy in Nashville, but he is going to be a number 1 in Columbus. This really helps Nashville's playoff hopes.

Seth Jones for Ryan Johanson! WOW

Great trade for both teams.

Glad the Oilers wasn't able to move RNH for Jones before the Blue Jackets got him.

Well, Iginla always says the right things in the media.  Realistically, the Avs have very little chance to win the Cup this season.

By the time this day is over we might have seen more action than we will on the trade deadline.

Moves are coming faster than the much hyped July 1 opening of UFA day.

Of the D you listed Hickey is the closest to a lock to become a full time NHLer. The rest are fringe NHLer. Defense is one of the if not the most important positions in hockey, you can't have enough D prospects, wingers are much easier to find. Nakladal is the our best bet to come up and help out our NHL lineup and I'm not even sure about that as he hasn't played a single NHL game.

Hickey is close. 

Kulak was our best D-man when he was playing here at the beginning of the season. 

Nakladal is likely to come up, but hasn't played a game because wee have 7 proven NHLers on contract. 

The others have time to develop. Will be a while before they see real play time. 

Not a bad pickup for the Kings. They're going for it again this year clearly. 

I wouldnt say kulak was our best or that hickey is close. Thats a little ridiculous.Hickey has alot of tools, but his game still needs some growth I would say to translate to the pro level, and kulak might end up being a good third pairing guy, which is ok.

Hickey is close.

Kulak was our best D-man when he was playing here at the beginning of the season.

Nakladal is likely to come up, but hasn't played a game because wee have 7 proven NHLers on contract.

The others have time to develop. Will be a while before they see real play time.

Not a bad pickup for the Kings. They're going for it again this year clearly.

Hickey will be in college for another year or two and then will need a year or two in the AHL before he is ready for 3rd pairing duty.

Kulak was OK in the couple of games he played in, he averaged 11 mins a game. He hasn't been playing all that well since he was sent down. He has a long way to go before he is ready for full time duty.

Hickey, Andersson, and Kylington are the only D that have top 4 potential and they are all a minimum of 2-3 years away from playing in the NHL.

Getting some young D that can step into the NHL this year or next would be very advantageous for the Flames.

With the Johansen-Jones swap, what does everyone think this does to the trade value of two of the most talked about targets here, Drouin and Hamonic? Does this raise the value of a Hamonic? Lower Drouin's value? Have no impact whatsoever? Just curious for your thoughts.

With the Johansen-Jones swap, what does everyone think this does to the trade value of two of the most talked about targets here, Drouin and Hamonic? Does this raise the value of a Hamonic? Lower Drouin's value? Have no impact whatsoever? Just curious for your thoughts.

The swap was for two potential top players between teams.  Nashville didn't need him as much with the top 2 they already had, but have never had a #1C.  CBJ gets a #1D (now or very soon).  

I don't think it changes the value of a Drouin at all.  He doesn't have the chops yet.  He is a prospect.  Some may see him as ready or close to ready to play top 6 in the NHL, but that remains to be seen.  Jones for Drouin would have been an overpayment IMHO.

Rychel's value may be lower, since they don't need a top D anymore.  They won't hold out for as much, likely.

Hamonic is probably off the market due to the Boychuk injury. 

With RS Boychuk out for a reported 6 weeks, I doubt RS Hamonic gets moved this season.  As long as Stamkos is a ??? then Yzerman’s hands are tied.  I don’t see how he can make any deals if he does not fully understand what his needs are.

With RS Boychuk out for a reported 6 weeks, I doubt RS Hamonic gets moved this season.  As long as Stamkos is a ??? then Yzerman’s hands are tied.  I don’t see how he can make any deals if he does not fully understand what his needs are.

For the right piece I think he's still on the market, but I think that puts out out of the running without likely surrendering Hamilton or Brodie in return, which isn't worth it since its a lateral swap at best at this point. Unfortunate. 

Hickey will be in college for another year or two and then will need a year or two in the AHL before he is ready for 3rd pairing duty.

Kulak was OK in the couple of games he played in, he averaged 11 mins a game. He hasn't been playing all that well since he was sent down. He has a long way to go before he is ready for full time duty.

Hickey, Andersson, and Kylington are the only D that have top 4 potential and they are all a minimum of 2-3 years away from playing in the NHL.

Getting some young D that can step into the NHL this year or next would be very advantageous for the Flames.

I don't think Hickey is going to need much time in the AHL. From what I've seen of his play, and knowing of him via a friend (never met him, so yes, grain of salt on the comments), I think he'll be ready to play 3rd line minutes minimum out of college. 

Kulak hasn't been fantastic, but sheltered 3rd pairing minutes are fine as early as next season I'd say. 

My biggest thing is just finding an RW for that top line. I know Hudler can get his game back but I'm looking to the future. Here's a list of targets:

Braydon Schenn

24 years old career .49 ppg, cap hit 2.5M, shoots L, 190 lbs

David Perron

27 years old, career .58 ppg, caphit 3.8 (UFA) shoots R, 200 lbs

Craig Smith

26 years old, career .5 ppg, cap hit 4.25, shoots R, 202 lbs

Kevin Hayes

23 years old, career .53 ppg, cap hit .900, shoots L, 205 lbs

Beau Bennet

24 years old, career .36 ppg, cap hit .900, shoots R, 195 lbs

Cam Atkinson

26 years old, career .53 ppg, cap hit 3.5M, shoots R, 174 lbs

Out of that list I would say Kevin Hayes or David Perron is the best suited for that role. This is the first move I think we should make to get some grit and size on every line.

Any targets I missed? (Max salary 4M)

My biggest thing is just finding an RW for that top line. I know Hudler can get his game back but I'm looking to the future. Here's a list of targets:

Braydon Schenn

David Perron

Craig Smith

Kevin Hayes

Beau Bennet

Cam Atkinson

26 years old, career .53 ppg, cap hit 3.5M, shoots R, 174 lbsOut of that list I would say Kevin Hayes or David Perron is the best suited for that role. This is the first move I think we should make to get some grit and size on every line.

If it's for a 1RW than $4m should not be a limit.

Here's a few more for consideration:

Loui Eriksson (Boston): $4.25, 30 years old

Blake Wheeler (Winnipeg): $5.60, 29 years old

Patrick Hornqvist (Pittsburg): $4.25, 29 years old

Wayne Simmonds (Philadelphia): $3.975, 27 years old

Kyle Okposo (NYI): $2.8, 27 years old

Kyle Palmieri (NJD): $1.60, 24 years old

Valeri Nichushkin (Dallas): $2.125, 20 years old

Kevin Hayes (NYR): $3.75, 23 years old

Brett Ritchie (Dallas): $0.89, 22 years old

Braydon Schenn

David Perron

Craig Smith

Kevin Hayes

Beau Bennet

Cam Atkinson

26 years old, career .53 ppg, cap hit 3.5M, shoots R, 174 lbs

Out of that list I would say Kevin Hayes or David Perron is the best suited for that role. This is the first move I think we should make to get some grit and size on every line.

In that order. I have ZERO interest in the rest. They don't fit the current mold of bigger or grittier.

What are your thoughts on Morrison ?

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2016/01/07/rumors-jonathan-drouin-getting-plenty-of-interest/

Sounds like we among the teams showing interest in Drouin. The article suggests that the ask would be Bennett, which is a non starter.

What are your thoughts on Morrison ?

He has a rough start this year, needs to show some consistency at the AHL level. He has some nice tools, it's just a matter of can he put them together.