The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

56 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Kassian is a dirt bag of a human, and he plays pretty disinterested most of the time.  One in every 5 games he'll show you glimpses of what could have been, and then vanish.

Sooo, iss thaat a mmaayyybeee?:lol:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think you guys are still looking at Puljujarvi's draft over-ranking.

He's RW depth imho. Not worth center depth.

I see both with upside, peaking at top 9, maybe top 6 with Puljujarvi. I think the Oilers have done a poor job with him so I think there is something there to be salvaged with a fresh start so I see him as more than just depth. 

Roll of the dice, but I think Janko is too especially behind the glut of centers. 

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think you guys are still looking at Puljujarvi's draft over-ranking.

He's RW depth imho. Not worth center depth.

He's got a heavy shot.

He skates well.

He plays big.

He's made some really dumb decisions and lost his spot as a result.  Development for him has been blown.  He needs a fresh start and good coaching to come out of that.

AT some point he will figure it all out and become a real good player.  That is what I see in him.

Just now, travel_dude said:

He's got a heavy shot.

He skates well.

He plays big.

He's made some really dumb decisions and lost his spot as a result.  Development for him has been blown.  He needs a fresh start and good coaching to come out of that.

AT some point he will figure it all out and become a real good player.  That is what I see in him.

What??

No he doesn't. Part of his problem, and a big part imo, he's big, and plays small.

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I see both with upside, peaking at top 9, maybe top 6 with Puljujarvi. I think the Oilers have done a poor job with him so I think there is something there to be salvaged with a fresh start so I see him as more than just depth. 

Roll of the dice, but I think Janko is too especially behind the glut of centers. 

The guy we should trade is Backlund because Bennett looks ready to take over 3rd line Defensive Checking Center.  

And then between Lindholm and Jankowski, 2nd line Center is covered.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

What??

No he doesn't. Part of his problem, and a big part imo, he's big, and plays small.

Really?  The only thing I've seen is him giving as much as he's getting.  

Limited viewing, mind you, but I thought he was handling the grit fairly well.

Last year, I would have agreed with you. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

The guy we should trade is Backlund because Bennett looks ready to take over 3rd line Defensive Checking Center.  

I'm still waiting for Bennett to become a centre.  Maybe that's the best place for him.  Don't know.

Ideal would be one of Bennett, Janko or Lindholm to take over the role from Backlund, since we can;t afford them all at or around $5m.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Depends what we decide to do.

Burn it down? Then ya, it actually makes sense to move Brodie and you know what, Brodie is a seive that I would only wish upon the Oilers.  Classic one dimensional dman who is a defensive liability... Yet worse, Brodie doesn't put up the numbers.

BP is discovering the real Brodie and if the rest of the NHL finds out he's only a bottom pairing Dman, then we won't even get half a Poolparty in any trade.

Ahh.... Remember the good old days when we argued about whether the Flames should of traded Brodie to the Jackets for Carter? Those were the days. Brodie hasnt been the same since the health issues appeared with his wife, dont blame him for being distracted, but hes definitely not the top pairing guy he used to be. 

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It would be a serious mistake to trade Backlund in my opinion. Hes one of the best two way centers in the league. You need guys like him to win in the playoffs. Jankowski is the guy I would move, hes really not showing hes anything more than a 3rd line center in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zirakzigil said:

Ahh.... Remember the good old days when we argued about whether the Flames should of traded Brodie to the Jackets for Carter? Those were the days. Brodie hasnt been the same since the health issues appeared with his wife, dont blame him for being distracted, but hes definitely not the top pairing guy he used to be. 

It would be a serious mistake to trade Backlund in my opinion. Hes one of the best two way centers in the league. You need guys like him to win in the playoffs. Jankowski is the guy I would move, hes really not showing hes anything more than a 3rd line center in my opinion. 

But... but... but... Mr Feeeeeester said Janks would .....

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

But... but... but... Mr Feeeeeester said Janks would .....

You mean this guy??

13e23a49629445.58b9de8619931.jpg

12 hours ago, Zirakzigil said:

What is wrong with being a 3rd line C or even a 4th line C in the NHL. You need good players and Jankowski is a good player. Hard to show your stuff with 4th line minutes, not sure why some people don't realize this aspect. The player in time to replace Backlund would be Dube with a few more years experience.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

What is wrong with being a 3rd line C or even a 4th line C in the NHL. You need good players and Jankowski is a good player. Hard to show your stuff with 4th line minutes, not sure why some people don't realize this aspect. The player in time to replace Backlund would be Dube with a few more years experience.

Nothing except $5.35-mil-per.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nothing except $5.35-mil-per.

Are you talking about Backlund ? because Jankowski doesn't make that money. The team can pay Backlund that kind of money now but maybe not in a few years time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Are you talking about Backlund ? because Jankowski doesn't make that money. The team can pay Backlund that kind of money now but maybe not in a few years time.

Yes, I'm talking about Backlund.

Everyone has a price in a cap world.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/josh-ho-sang-says-islanders-minds-made-put-ahl/sn-amp/

Do we want Josh Ho Sang?

He pretty much whines about his fate being decided before he had a chance to show the Isle what he had.  But then he takes it back slightly, as if to think saying it nicer means it going to be received as such.

RHS RW with skills.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/josh-ho-sang-says-islanders-minds-made-put-ahl/sn-amp/

Do we want Josh Ho Sang?

He pretty much whines about his fate being decided before he had a chance to show the Isle what he had.  But then he takes it back slightly, as if to think saying it nicer means it going to be received as such.

RHS RW with skills.

Pass. More issues than Rychel. 

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Do we want Josh Ho Sang?

RHS RW with skills.

If the whole milennial/entitled attitude were such a thing in pro hockey I'm sure this would be exhibit #1.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

If the whole milennial/entitled attitude were such a thing in pro hockey I'm sure this would be exhibit #1.

Sometimes its merely rich kid syndrome  Not that many stories like Ferland or Panarin.  Some families have high morals while others are ones like Jack Johnson.  The rich ones can afford skating coaches etc, ehilr the other have to survive on their natural talents.  With Ho Sang, it sounds like a bit of both.      

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Do we want Josh Ho Sang?

RHS RW with skills.

Management and coaches hated Baertschi because of his entitlement issues. Ho-Sang sounds like his entitlement is ten times higher. So I think we pass.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Management and coaches hated Baertschi because of his entitlement issues. Ho-Sang sounds like his entitlement is ten times higher. So I think we pass.

There are many situations that effect decisions and changes. Sometimes a player is simply a victim of bad timing and doesn't catch a break. All these guys are pushed and told throughout their lives how good they are so when they hit a road block to making the big money I'm sure it is frustrating. Then there are the cases like Nylander where they or their parents think they are worth more than they should be given time served. Poor and bad decisions exist everywhere in pro-sports.

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Lol for sures.  This is entitlement to the core.  Instead of Ho Sang going into camp and proving himself, he complains the road wasn't paved for him.

In comparison, Dillon Dube was not pencilled in to make our team this season but he came to camp and proved he cannot be denied.  We made room for him with buyouts and waivers as a result.  

It's a pretty crappy situation all around. I think if a team is willing to do work with him you have a player with probably top 20-30 offensive abilities. HO Sang has the skill level to be a PPG player in the league but this "entitlement issues" have also been there since he was a teenager. 

the result could be worth it but in order to make it work I think he needs to go to an organization that is willing to embrace a fundamental change to how you coach and manage players. Ice time as a reward/punishment, mandatory two way play, utilizing of line mates etc you need to be willing to flex on all of that to make it work for Ho Sang. That definetley isn't going to be the Flames and at this point i'm not sure who it's going to be. 

On 2018-10-31 at 9:04 AM, MAC331 said:

There are many situations that effect decisions and changes. Sometimes a player is simply a victim of bad timing and doesn't catch a break. All these guys are pushed and told throughout their lives how good they are so when they hit a road block to making the big money I'm sure it is frustrating. Then there are the cases like Nylander where they or their parents think they are worth more than they should be given time served. Poor and bad decisions exist everywhere in pro-sports.

Nylander would be getting more money than the Leafs are offering if he was on a different team.  Dubas won't pay up because of the upcoming Matthews and Marner contracts.  That sucks for Nylander, but I don't think he or his family are being unreasonable.  His family simply has the financial means to wait it out.  

With Matthews out and the team losing some games, the Leafs may have to buck up for Nylander.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Nylander would be getting more money than the Leafs are offering if he was on a different team.  Dubas won't pay up because of the upcoming Matthews and Marner contracts.  That sucks for Nylander, but I don't think he or his family are being unreasonable.  His family simply has the financial means to wait it out.  

With Matthews out and the team losing some games, the Leafs may have to buck up for Nylander.  

We don't know what each side is necessarily asking for. But the market was set a long time ago. Larkin got 6.1 x 5. Pasternak got 6.6 x 6. Ehlers got 6x7. This should have been a straight forward contract but clearly one side is trying to side step market value. 

It could be the Leafs trying to play hardball to fit everyone in long term. But from the sounds of it Nylander has been the problem. The Leafs are supposedly in the 6 million range (which they should be) and Nylander (and his dad) are looking for 8. There is absolutely no way I would cave if I were the Leafs, even if this goes past December. Losing him for a season is far better then costing them 2 million they can't afford. Nylander isn't worth 8 even as a free agent. 

I say no to Ho-Sang. These things rarely workout in the teams favor. The exception might be guys (like Kane) that have had a lot of success but had their careers derailed by the financial part of that success. 

I don't want him on my NHL team or my AHL team. To many issues and not enough upside.