The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. For me, the dentifrices on their roster are not going to be solved internally as certain skill sets are lacking. 

And just to clarify, of course the Flames are a good team. If they do nothing between now and the TDL I won't be upset as I think they have a good team and I thikn they have a shot (as i've argued several times in the past). They don't NEED to makes moves, but if they want to maybe looking at giving themsvles a better chance there are some moves they COULD make. 

There are some long term needs.

Another top 4 RHS, should we decide to move on from Brodie or Hamonic.

A top 6 RW.  Frolik is a good fit, but is much more a defensive player than scoring forward.

A top 9 LW.  Bennett fills the need and Mangiapane or Dube should be pushing some time.

A backup or 1a/1b goalie.  We don't know how the season will finish, but we need to find the 2nd goalie for long term success.

If we traded for Silfverberg, that likely means we are moving on from Bennett.  Not in a rush, but Bennett needs to continue to play well until TDL.  His game is lacking mostly just in scoring.

But, like you, I'm not saying we absolutely have to trade.  The guys that aren't scoring do, however, need to start providing goals.  Otherwise, we are too top heavy.  We can survive that way, but only if everyone is healthy.

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Yup 

I think it is great that they have the confidence to comeback but at the same time, it’s not a good habit. 

The teqm ram has been a slow starter for years now. I guess could call it a feeling out the game process but I’d like them to I still their will from the drop of the puck. It’s hard to be mentally prepared in an 82 game season. But I guess seeing great players and teams do it in the past has spoiled me.

I think it is a great habit in today's NHL, during the course of a game its difficult to dictate when your scoring will happen. I actually thought our starts have been good but then we have times we look lost in what we are trying to do. Lately it seems all these lame lite passes all end up in turnovers and become offense for the opposition instead of us. Correct the mistakes leading to sloppy play and we will be fine.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. For me, the dentifrices on their roster are not going to be solved internally as certain skill sets are lacking. 

And just to clarify, of course the Flames are a good team. If they do nothing between now and the TDL I won't be upset as I think they have a good team and I thikn they have a shot (as i've argued several times in the past). They don't NEED to makes moves, but if they want to maybe looking at giving themsvles a better chance there are some moves they COULD make. 

Sorry cross I had to go look up "dentifrices" and have to ask how cleaning our teeth will solve the lack of certain skill sets ?

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There are some long term needs.

Another top 4 RHS, should we decide to move on from Brodie or Hamonic.

A top 6 RW.  Frolik is a good fit, but is much more a defensive player than scoring forward.

A top 9 LW.  Bennett fills the need and Mangiapane or Dube should be pushing some time.

A backup or 1a/1b goalie.  We don't know how the season will finish, but we need to find the 2nd goalie for long term success.

If we traded for Silfverberg, that likely means we are moving on from Bennett.  Not in a rush, but Bennett needs to continue to play well until TDL.  His game is lacking mostly just in scoring.

But, like you, I'm not saying we absolutely have to trade.  The guys that aren't scoring do, however, need to start providing goals.  Otherwise, we are too top heavy.  We can survive that way, but only if everyone is healthy.

I would have my eye on Silfverberg as a UFA more so than trading for him now.

25 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

NEAL

Not gonna deny I'm giving Neal a free pass until the playoffs , where he better show up .. hes an absolute key to the puzzle I believe ..

But I mean that other guy.. we're going to pick up depth. I want that guy that only costs you a late round pick and you probably wont re-sign in the summer .. but who brings it ..

I actually think Maroon would be a good pickup .. the aforementioned Hendricks...   i do Like the Silfverberg idea, but unfortunately i think that's unrealistic..  in the game of  hot potato for those last 2 wildcards being played right now , my money is on Anaheim to take one .. no chance Anaheim trades us a piece like that especially with a risk of us being a first round matchup 

If Im BT.. im looking at  Maroon, Hendricks,  Kunitz ...any of them on the cheap

May have to spend a little more, but Id try and pry Jordan Eberle as well..Calgary boy , has a history of big goals, I personally think he got a bad rap for his Edm playoffs

-- Simmonds should also be high on the radar 

Could do a package with either the NYI or PHI--    Simmonds / Neuvirth ,  Eberle / lehner --  use Gillies , a conditional pick 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Not gonna deny I'm giving Neal a free pass until the playoffs , where he better show up .. hes an absolute key to the puzzle I believe ..

But I mean that other guy.. we're going to pick up depth. I want that guy that only costs you a late round pick and you probably wont re-sign in the summer .. but who brings it ..

I actually think Maroon would be a good pickup .. the aforementioned Hendricks...   i do Like the Silfverberg idea, but unfortunately i think that's unrealistic..  in the game of  hot potato for those last 2 wildcards being played right now , my money is on Anaheim to take one .. no chance Anaheim trades us a piece like that especially with a risk of us being a first round matchup 

If Im BT.. im looking at  Maroon, Hendricks,  Kunitz ...any of them on the cheap

May have to spend a little more, but Id try and pry Jordan Eberle as well..Calgary boy , has a history of big goals, I personally think he got a bad rap for his Edm playoffs

-- Simmonds should also be high on the radar 

Yeah I am not seeing the need for guys like that for this group. What I want to see is happening now with BP settling in on some consistent lines for this group. The line of Bennett, Jankowski, Neal is what I see as our key to success this season, not an outsider. It's obvious to me we have a group that plays for each other and stands up for each other, this is what wins.

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Sorry cross I had to go look up "dentifrices" and have to ask how cleaning our teeth will solve the lack of certain skill sets ?

Hockey players always have dental deficiencies 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Yeah I am not seeing the need for guys like that for this group. What I want to see is happening now with BP settling in on some consistent lines for this group. The line of Bennett, Jankowski, Neal is what I see as our key to success this season, not an outsider. It's obvious to me we have a group that plays for each other and stands up for each other, this is what wins.

Yes but playoffs are a war.. bodies will go down. We have some pieces but we also have a very large group of inexperienced playoff players.. 

We need playoff depth..and more importantly character playoff depth.

This is a team that can make the finals .. to lose it because of a key injury is something we can't take the chance on 

I'm certain BT has his eyes on things , we'll see but I suspect these are the kinds of moves he'd be looking at.

Especially that 3rd goalie .. anything happens to Rittich, we have to hope Smith can play potentially 20+ games in a row without getting injured himself ..and I'd feel way better with a vet up in the pressbox instead of Gillies right now 

13 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Yes but playoffs are a war.. bodies will go down. We have some pieces but we also have a very large group of inexperienced playoff players.. 

We need playoff depth..and more importantly character playoff depth.

This is a team that can make the finals .. to lose it because of a key injury is something we can't take the chance on 

I'm certain BT has his eyes on things , we'll see but I suspect these are the kinds of moves he'd be looking at.

Especially that 3rd goalie .. anything happens to Rittich, we have to hope Smith can play potentially 20+ games in a row without getting injured himself ..and I'd feel way better with a vet up in the pressbox instead of Gillies right now 

Agree to disagree, I just think we have enough positives progressing now that should allow the team to continue its growth.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

Agree to disagree, I just think we have enough positives progressing now that should allow the team to continue its growth.

oh no argument  there. I wouldn't remove one player from the current roster .. I'm just talking about stocking up the reserves 

We have players that deserve earning some playoff cred.

Don't need to buy it. Earn it.

Our goalies aren't injured.

Is this what we're doing now?

Inventing scenarios?

I've got one. We will shock everyone.

Let's swag for the first time in forever.

You are playing us, and you're going to lose.

Simple as that.

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We have players that deserve earning some playoff cred.

Don't need to buy it. Earn it.

Our goalies aren't injured.

Is this what we're doing now?

Inventing scenarios?

I've got one. We will shock everyone.

Let's swag for the first time in forever.

You are playing us, and you're going to lose.

Simple as that.

It's called being prepared..  has nothing to do with shaking up our roster..like I said before if they can all stay healthy they can run all the way.

Again it's playoffs..that's how GMs reward their team at the TDL..with depth support 

I don't think Washington wins last year without DSP. Pittsburgh had to win their last one with a no name defense ..

Rhett Warrener blames Phaneuf to the this day for not accepting an offer to sign a contract and play in Game 7 in '04 

Rittich overcame last year to be a starter last year, playoffs is another jump..

I virtually guarantee that our playoff roster every night will have a Prout or a Peluso in it ..

Again, there's not one player on our roster right now I'd replace , but they'll have to be prepared for who replaces them if and when some go down 

And all we can do is debate the merits of it , but I'm certain BT will do something along those lines 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

It's called being prepared..  has nothing to do with shaking up our roster..like I said before if they can all stay healthy they can run all the way.

Again it's playoffs..that's how GMs reward their team at the TDL..with depth support 

I don't think Washington wins last year without DSP. Pittsburgh had to win their last one with a no name defense ..

Rhett Warrener blames Phaneuf to the this day for not accepting an offer to sign a contract and play in Game 7 in '04 

Rittich overcame last year to be a starter last year, playoffs is another jump..

I virtually guarantee that our playoff roster every night will have a Prout or a Peluso in it ..

Again, there's not one player on our roster right now I'd replace , but they'll have to be prepared for who replaces them if and when some go down 

And all we can do is debate the merits of it , but I'm certain BT will do something along those lines 

We're prepared. Just ironing out a few kinks. And winning a lot.

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

A lot of GMs stand pat and give the team a huge vote of confidence. We have the voices in the room and the right amount of toughness unless it gets real ugly. Even with the Goalie topic Smith has it in him as much as anyone we would go and get. Gilles as the 3rd is fine. We have any number of forwards we could move onto the 4th line and have Valimaki and Stone returning on D. I think our depth is good.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

We're prepared. Just ironing out a few kinks. And winning a lot.

So in Game 7 of the SCF , you're ok with a 4th line oF Anthony Peluso, Alan Quine and Ryan Lomberg?..way it sits,, could happen :) 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

So in Game 7 of the SCF , you're ok with a 4th line oF Anthony Peluso, Alan Quine and Ryan Lomberg?..way it sits,, could happen :) 

Again, you're bringing up a scenario that doesn't actually exist.

We slaughtered witches centuries ago. lol

Looking a lot like a dangerous team to me.

As is.

20 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I don't think Washington wins last year without DPL.. Pittsburgh had to win their last one with a no name defense ..

The ones I would replace and upgrade are Peluso and Prout.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Again, you're bringing up a scenario that doesn't actually exist.

We slaughtered witches centuries ago. lol

Looking a lot like a dangerous team to me.

As is.

And if it should happen..this board and others will tear BT apart for not reinforcing..just look back a couple years when he didn't reinforce us when GIo went down.. he had his reasons then..we were overachievers to begin with..   this year, we look like very real contenders.. there is no next year mentality...you go all in 

• Like 1

I think as a GM you have to do whatever you can to make your team better. In saying that you have to weigh what adding another player to the lineup will bring you vs what it will do to the locker room.

For me I see 2 to 3 holes in the current lineup. I would like to see an upgrade at 2nd line center or that the very least an upgrade at 3rd line center. I like Jankowski but he isn't good enough to produce like a 2nd line center nor is he good enough defensively to be a shut down center. I would like to see someone who can distribute the puck to a guy like Neal.

I also wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade at 2nd line RW, Frolik has been on a tear lately but his offensive output is very streaky, he is a great shut down line winger, but I am not sure he is a guy I would count on for offense.

I would also like to see an upgrade on the left side of the 3rd pairing. Kylington and Valimaki have been fine in sheltered minutes, but I am not sure I would trust them with more minutes at this point in their careers.

If Smith can play like he did last night going forward, that would take away another of my concerns, but if he struggles going into the trade deadline I would look for an upgrade at backup as well.

I am not saying we need to go trade for all those pieces, I am saying that those are areas where we could improve, you just need to weigh the cost. 

I will also add that just because we are rolling now doesn't mean we will continue on this stretch nor does it mean playoff success, sometimes staying with the status quo is just as bad as making a bunch of trades.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The ones I would replace and upgrade are Peluso and Prout.

I agree..his name is Wayne Simmonds ..heck..even sign Bieksa .. 2 upgrades right there 

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think as a GM you have to do whatever you can to make your team better. In saying that you have to weigh what adding another player to the lineup will bring you vs what it will do to the locker room.

For me I see 2 to 3 holes in the current lineup. I would like to see an upgrade at 2nd line center or that the very least an upgrade at 3rd line center. I like Jankowski but he isn't good enough to produce like a 2nd line center nor is he good enough defensively to be a shut down center. I would like to see someone who can distribute the puck to a guy like Neal.

I also wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade at 2nd line RW, Frolik has been on a tear lately but his offensive output is very streaky, he is a great shut down line winger, but I am not sure he is a guy I would count on for offense.

I would also like to see an upgrade on the left side of the 3rd pairing. Kylington and Valimaki have been fine in sheltered minutes, but I am not sure I would trust them with more minutes at this point in their careers.

If Smith can play like he did last night going forward, that would take away another of my concerns, but if he struggles going into the trade deadline I would look for an upgrade at backup as well.

I am not saying we need to go trade for all those pieces, I am saying that those are areas where we could improve, you just need to weigh the cost. 

I will also add that just because we are rolling now doesn't mean we will continue on this stretch nor does it mean playoff success, sometimes staying with the status quo is just as bad as making a bunch of trades.

This is well said and matches almost exactly how I feel.

Complacency can work in good times as much as bad. I personally don't think a team should every stop looking to be better irregardless of how they may be playing at the time and the truly great teams don't. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So do we ever get to celebrate a good team?

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

So do we ever get to celebrate a good team?

Yes !  its called the Stanley Cup Parade :D   otherwise you just weren't good enough ..and you spend the offseason like the other 29 teams wondering how to get better .

But i do give a bit of leeway to losing Game 7, that's just a lucky bounce either way :) 

I'll add to this .. ask Ovie and the other Caps if they cared about winning the Presidents trophy when they lost to Pittsburgh again 

My big thing , is what has been exposed when we lose.. like the last one to Edmonton and the game against Dallas. When a team effectively bottles up our stars, we're not getting it from the Bottom 6

i think Jtech nailed it , I want to see Neal with someone who gets him the puck...without disrupting whats already working , that player may or may not already be in our system 

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade-watch-list-top-30-2019/

This article says that are believed to have interest in Simmonds, Howard, Edler, Quick, Bouwmeester, and Craig Anderson.

Simmonds makes some sense, but the cost will be high because of how many teams will be bidding for his services. 

Edler would be an ideal target, but again the cost will be high as he is probably the top rental defenseman on the market. Edler would allow us to shelter Hanifin going down the stretch and into the playoffs on the 3rd pair.

Bouwmeester might make the most sense based on that I don't think the cost will be too high and you get a guy who can play top 4 minutes in case of an injury.

Of the goalies Anderson makes no sense based on his age and his contract. Howard would be a good rental and an upgrade on Smith. Quick would make more sense if he was a rental or had a year after this but he has 4 years at $5.8m after this season left on his contract, for a goalie as injury prone as him that's a lot of contract to take on.

• Like 1

Jbow would be my main target for the deadline. I think he checks a lot of boxes and likely wouldn't cost much. Unlikely to mess with chemistry either given how quiet he is.

I don't really have interest in anyone else off that list for fit and cost reasons. I get the Flames will likely get linked to Wayne Simmonds a lot but that's a hard pass for me. I don't think he'll be worth the price you will pay and he really hasn't looked very good this season.