The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Our bottom 6 forwards are amongst the worst in the league in goal differential. When it comes down to it I think teams like the Jets and the Preds are just deeper than us and in the playoffs depth throughout the lineup matters. We are basically 1.5 line team, now those guys are elite, in the playoffs teams will feast on our bottom 6 as it stands today.

Totally agreed.

But we don't necessarily have to make the bottom 6 score more but rather, make them better at defending.  We don't have a Stephane Yelle.  We need one.  We need a clutch 3rd line shutdown C who wins important draws that we can depend on in closing situations.  

That said, i like what i see from Mangiapane and Dube.  I think they can provide sneak and unexpected scoring when the time comes.  But in the meantime, if Czarnik is a sieve, Jankowski misses assignments, Neal not intimidating, Hathaway not hitting, etc, then we need to upgrade.  Czarnik especially because i think he's one of those who feels he needs to score or else he can't contribute much else so he's taking risky chances rather than playing safe.  Ryan feels pressure to score as well.  The only guy who seems nonchalant at scoring is Neal and he's just focused on playing a checking role.  Which is great but... come on not at $5-mil-per.  We should be able to build a stud bottom 6 and get good results averaging $1.5-mil per player.

What about Eric Staal, playoff experience, add to our center depth, one year left on his contract(3.5mil).  I don't know if Minnesota will do this now but if they start to fall out of the race closer to the deadline they might take something like our 3rd and Foo, or maybe Czarnik. 

your middle six is now a combo of:

3M

Bennet Staal Neal

or 

Tkachuk Staal Neal

Bennet Backlund Frolik

with:

Ryan Jank Hathaway

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

How's Ryan doing at the dot again?

That's our 4th C.

You're inventing problems.

I choose to think we're only going to get better and grow as a group.

So far, so good.

I don't think it's fair to say I am inventing problems, our bottom 6 have a goal differential of -1/60mins, that means our top 6 has to have a goal differential of +2 every game in order for us to win. I am not inventing problems it is a legit problem and it is going to get worse once the races start to heat up after the All Star game and into the playoffs. Teams will start to pay more attention to line matching and that means our bottom 6 is going to see tougher competition and our top line will start seeing tighter checking. I think our top line can overcome it, but the margin for error will start to get much smaller, and having improved depth would make it much easier to handle it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Totally agreed.

But we don't necessarily have to make the bottom 6 score more but rather, make them better at defending.  We don't have a Stephane Yelle.  We need one.  We need a clutch 3rd line shutdown C who wins important draws that we can depend on in closing situations.  

That said, i like what i see from Mangiapane and Dube.  I think they can provide sneak and unexpected scoring when the time comes.  But in the meantime, if Czarnik is a sieve, Jankowski misses assignments, Neal not intimidating, Hathaway not hitting, etc, then we need to upgrade.  Czarnik especially because i think he's one of those who feels he needs to score or else he can't contribute much else so he's taking risky chances rather than playing safe.  Ryan feels pressure to score as well.  The only guy who seems nonchalant at scoring is Neal and he's just focused on playing a checking role.  Which is great but... come on not at $5-mil-per.  We should be able to build a stud bottom 6 and get good results averaging $1.5-mil per player.

I am not a huge fan of what I have seen from Mangiapane so far in his NHL games. I thought last game was far and away his best game at the NHL level and he still looked overmatched at times. I would be fine with using him as part of a trade at the deadline as I don't see him ever passing Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Bennett on the depth chart.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think it's fair to say I am inventing problems, our bottom 6 have a goal differential of -1/60mins, that means our top 6 has to have a goal differential of +2 every game in order for us to win. I am not inventing problems it is a legit problem and it is going to get worse once the races start to heat up after the All Star game and into the playoffs. Teams will start to pay more attention to line matching and that means our bottom 6 is going to see tougher competition and our top line will start seeing tighter checking. I think our top line can overcome it, but the margin for error will start to get much smaller, and having improved depth would make it much easier to handle it. 

I think the mistake and misconception you are making is using a stats that takes in a lot of players that have been used to date. BP appears to be settling in on some conclusions on who he wants playing with who on these 3rd and 4th lines which IMO was very much needed. BP is also very quick to shorten his bench and or mix up lines for more in game effectiveness which sometimes backfires. I like the top 9 now but would like to see Quine back on LW with Ryan and Hathaway for our 4th line. All of this considered should provide some answers of whether to deal at the TDL.

15 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

i think there are 2 different trains of thought happening in this thread ..

while I agree, you look for ways to improve your team 24/7/365.. I'm not advocating trading any current roster players ..nor am I looking to bump anybody down in the lineup , any more than we do now ..

Right now, our top spare interchangeable parts(based on callups and who gets healthy scratched and who replaces them ) seem to consist of Hathaway, Czarnik, Peluso , Quine and Lomberg.. i just want to improve the spare parts cupboard for the playoffs ..nobody with term..players you can walk away from when its over 

I think you have to take into consideration how the coach deploys the talent he has to work with during games. BP is quick to shorten is bench and go for the win so 4th line on this team only has to be so good. Another part of our game that as performed well is the PK and players such as Jankowski and Hathaway have shined there for us. I can see a few areas we could improve on for next season in the offseason but I wouldn't tamper with this group right now. I think BP and his staff are making the right moves as the season progresses.

51 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am not a huge fan of what I have seen from Mangiapane so far in his NHL games. I thought last game was far and away his best game at the NHL level and he still looked overmatched at times. I would be fine with using him as part of a trade at the deadline as I don't see him ever passing Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Bennett on the depth chart.

A fair question is how would Johnny look playing on the 4th line?  The fact that he plays more agressively on the boards than JH is something that needs to be sorted out.  A small guy playing big.  So, he has two choices; learn escape mode, learn to take the hit safely while adding the odd hit.  Play like Johnny or play like Byron.  For the latter, he needs to add lower body strength.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A fair question is how would Johnny look playing on the 4th line?  The fact that he plays more agressively on the boards than JH is something that needs to be sorted out.  A small guy playing big.  So, he has two choices; learn escape mode, learn to take the hit safely while adding the odd hit.  Play like Johnny or play like Byron.  For the latter, he needs to add lower body strength.

I think Gaudreau would generate tons of scoring opportunities on the 4th line, he just wouldn't have the finishers to score on those opportunities. Mangiapane is a skilled player, but I see him as a complimentary type player not someone who drives a line like Gaudreau or Tkachuk. The main reason I wouldn't mind trading Mangiapane is I just don't see where he fits on our roster going forward, unless we are looking to move Bennett in the offseason. I wouldn't move Bennett before as he is the type of player that thrives in the playoffs and I think we would miss his physical play in the playoffs a lot. If he is looking for a big raise in the offseason then we might have to move though.

Then again I have Dube ahead Mangiapane on the depth chart as well. 

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I think you have to take into consideration how the coach deploys the talent he has to work with during games. BP is quick to shorten is bench and go for the win so 4th line on this team only has to be so good. Another part of our game that as performed well is the PK and players such as Jankowski and Hathaway have shined there for us. I can see a few areas we could improve on for next season in the offseason but I wouldn't tamper with this group right now. I think BP and his staff are making the right moves as the season progresses.

Normally, I would agree with cross. You have to always consider ways to improve the team. At the same time, however, one of the most difficult qualities to obtain from players is the culture/desire to win. It seems like a lot of our players have a swagger to their stride as they should given their play this year. If you move out one or two players from the bottom 6, my fear is that you can disrupt that overall confidence. You need a team to have the talent and chemistry to win. I would not balk at a clear upgrade or an addition (assuming that we can do so under the cap), but this has to be done carefully. I don't think that Treliving has experience putting the finishing touches on a contender. 

32 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Normally, I would agree with cross. You have to always consider ways to improve the team. At the same time, however, one of the most difficult qualities to obtain from players is the culture/desire to win. It seems like a lot of our players have a swagger to their stride as they should given their play this year. If you move out one or two players from the bottom 6, my fear is that you can disrupt that overall confidence. You need a team to have the talent and chemistry to win. I would not balk at a clear upgrade or an addition (assuming that we can do so under the cap), but this has to be done carefully. I don't think that Treliving has experience putting the finishing touches on a contender. 

Hard to ever dispute adding a clear upgrade but it will come at a sacrifice. Here are a few ideas.

Jankowski and Frolik plus draft pick (s) or Mangiapane to OTT for Mark Stone RW. (negotiate a new deal) If we are trading futures we should try a build some into any new deal.

Obtaining Stone and getting him on a new contract would allow a number of good trade moves in the offseason.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

Hard to ever dispute adding a clear upgrade but it will come at a sacrifice. Here are a few ideas.

Jankowski and Frolik plus draft pick (s) or Mangiapane to OTT for Mark Stone RW. (negotiate a new deal) If we are trading futures we should try a build some into any new deal.

Obtaining Stone and getting him on a new contract would allow a number of good trade moves in the offseason.

That sounds good as long as there is the money there for Chucky next year, and moving out these guys is truly low risk. I suspect that there might be players who don't seem to contribute much points wise, but are an integral part of the club. Obviously, I don't know who these players are as I spend no time in the dressing room. 

19 hours ago, MAC331 said:

So what is it then ? It is obvious that some of our players are not going to have a level of playoff experience heading there so do you simply cast them aside or trade them just so you have that one shot at a SC ? You call them "holes" while I would say lacking some experience, no team is without weaknesses. Players only gain the experience and hunger by going through the experience itself win or lose.

I actually find experience overrated so that's not really a concern of mine. I don't buy into the idea of adding veterans at the deadline for playoff experience, that was the Frolik and Neal acquisitions so that's been done IMO. 

There are 4 issues I would look at fixing if I were the Flames if the right deal presented itself. None of these would require a big trade and they are listed in order. 

1- Veteran LS depth dman - This is my only must pick up for the deadline. I think you need a good solid 8-10 NHL caliber dmen on your roster if you want to go on a playoff run and I think the Flames are short 1, specifically a LS dman becuae I don't think there is anyone in the A right now you would want up here for any length of time. Rookie mistakes also get magnified in the playoffs and I think we've also seen that while Kylington has some nice attributes he plays a very high risk game. That gets exposed in the playoffs so I think you need to bring in someone here. This is a must for me, but it should not cost very much. 

2- Play making center. I think a big issue with the bottom 6 is it's full of all the same type of player and it lacks a center that can help make others better. All the players in the bottom 6, save for may Derek Ryan, are shoot first players. The bottom 6 lacks the ability to move the puck around and the puck into scoring areas so they are inconsistent in their scoring. Now I also want to be clear I'm NOT of the opinion that the bottom 6 is holding the Flames back. I absolutely believe they could challenge for a cup with their current bottom 6 but I also see a way it could be improved, primarily with the addition of a play making center. There is also the possibility you pick up an upgrade to Backlund on the 2nd line and push him down to the 3rd but I find that unlikely and something i'm less keen on. 

I think the addition of a play-making center would help guys like Bennett, Frolik, Neal get some consistency on the 3rd line instead of only getting it on the 2nd line. 

3- Backup goalie - 2 and 3 alternate for me as it does with Smith play. I can handle the Smith who played against Arizona and Detroit but I can't handle the Smith who played against Boston or St. Louis. I'm still giving him time but if it doesn't turn around this will become number 2 and will be a must acquisition for me. 

4- A RW scoring threat. This is not something I would aggressively pursue, but I would listen to/talk to, teams that are having rough season and maybe there is a buy low option. Guys like Tarasenko or Voracek that previously would not be available could be but I would only listen and see if there is an opportunity to buy low. This is also something that is better served for the end of the season but I so think another legitimate scorer on the RW would go along way here and perhaps an opportunity to get out from the Neal deal too. 

Part of this for me too is I do think the Flames have assets that other teams would like (Dmen, Janko, Bennett etc) and we haven't been able to say that for quite a while. Against i'm not in a rush to move these guys out, but at the same time they've got high end talent here so while I want to keep a certain amount of depth, taking a run also makes a lot of sense to me too. It's a balancing act but worth pursuing IMO.

As good as Jankowski and Hathaway are on the PK, they are terrible at 5v5, especially Hathaway. Outside of the PK Hathaway really doesn't bring much to the table. He is far and away the worst possession player on the team, Jankowski is slightly better in that regard. I would like to see Jankowski moved down to the 4th line and limit his minutes a bit at 5v5. That to me is two of the biggest holes in our lineup.

If you can get a 2nd line C to push Backlund to the 3rd line now you have 3 lines that can push play in the right direction, thus making us a much more dangerous and deeper team.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

As good as Jankowski and Hathaway are on the PK, they are terrible at 5v5, especially Hathaway. Outside of the PK Hathaway really doesn't bring much to the table. He is far and away the worst possession player on the team, Jankowski is slightly better in that regard. I would like to see Jankowski moved down to the 4th line and limit his minutes a bit at 5v5. That to me is two of the biggest holes in our lineup.

If you can get a 2nd line C to push Backlund to the 3rd line now you have 3 lines that can push play in the right direction, thus making us a much more dangerous and deeper team.

If he survives the trade deadline, I really wonder if Lazar is up here when roster expands and pushes Hatahway.

I agree on him personally. He started out well but lately he's been pretty invisible 5 on 5 and he isn't even bringing the physical game he needs to. I don't want to go external for that spot but some internal competition would be a good idea IMO and Lazar maybe has turned it around in the A. 

Just now, cross16 said:

If he survives the trade deadline, I really wonder if Lazar is up here when roster expands and pushes Hatahway.

I agree on him personally. He started out well but lately he's been pretty invisible 5 on 5 and he isn't even bringing the physical game he needs to. I don't want to go external for that spot but some internal competition would be a good idea IMO and Lazar maybe has turned it around in the A. 

I forget about Lazar, but I would be fine with him coming back up and pushing for minutes. He also gives you RHS for faceoff purposes. I also think if he stays down too long you risk losing some of the confidence he has built up.

I also think Czarnik might be a better option than Hathaway as of right now, because at least he can drive the play in the right direction. As for the PK, we have guys like Jankowski, Frolik, Backlund and Lindholm that can be very effective on the PK and Bennett and Ryan can spot in on the PK as well.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I forget about Lazar, but I would be fine with him coming back up and pushing for minutes. He also gives you RHS for faceoff purposes. I also think if he stays down too long you risk losing some of the confidence he has built up.

I also think Czarnik might be a better option than Hathaway as of right now, because at least he can drive the play in the right direction. As for the PK, we have guys like Jankowski, Frolik, Backlund and Lindholm that can be very effective on the PK and Bennett and Ryan can spot in on the PK as well.

I also agree on Czarnik. I think he's been great lately and one of the guys I don't think Peters has done a great job handling this year. He's deserved better IMO.

But it is tricky on a team with so much depth. Why I wanted some of it cleared up early this season. 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I also agree on Czarnik. I think he's been great lately and one of the guys I don't think Peters has done a great job handling this year. He's deserved better IMO.

But it is tricky on a team with so much depth. Why I wanted some of it cleared up early this season. 

I dont like the idea of swapping out Hathaway for Czarnik. Hath may be invisible as of late but Czarniks been invisible all year. Also the last time Hathaway was scratched the 4th line was (IIRC)  Czarnik/Ryan/Mangiapani, that would probably be the smallest line in the league and be absolutely pummeled  when the game gets physical.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think Gaudreau would generate tons of scoring opportunities on the 4th line, he just wouldn't have the finishers to score on those opportunities. Mangiapane is a skilled player, but I see him as a complimentary type player not someone who drives a line like Gaudreau or Tkachuk. The main reason I wouldn't mind trading Mangiapane is I just don't see where he fits on our roster going forward, unless we are looking to move Bennett in the offseason. I wouldn't move Bennett before as he is the type of player that thrives in the playoffs and I think we would miss his physical play in the playoffs a lot. If he is looking for a big raise in the offseason then we might have to move though.

Then again I have Dube ahead Mangiapane on the depth chart as well. 

JH struggled in his first 6 games, to the point of them getting ready to send him to the AHL.

And that's the point isn't it.  Finding the right mix and the right style.  Click with someone and the offense starts coming out.

Figure out how to play the role you need to stay on the ice.

Mangiapane already has a better shot than Gaudreau, but doesn't have the size or shiftiness to use it.

You can see a bit of the hockey IQ, but he's not locked in yet with his linemates.

Dube and Mange are pretty close in their abilities at the NHL level.  Neither was scoring and both were getting knocked down.

Dube managed to get most of his games on the 3rd line.

Anyway, I would prefer to give Dube the year in the AHL.  Mangiapane has graduated from it, and is starting to figure some things out.  Where he plays will be determined by how he plays.  Give him some consistent minutes, and he should start getting a few in.  He's had golden opportunities out of nothing.

6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

But any stat line has other reasons rather than making it black and white. The bottom 6 has been a mishmash, throw some of Smith's fluffy goals in there and maybe that stat is deceiving.

We'll also be doing the same as other teams so if they want to expose our 4th line, they leave there's exposed.

I agree with the games are going to get tighter but we need consistent lines now too.

I believe that has only just started and we've seen some secondary scoring the last few games.

So I'm still patient for a bit, though I know the clock is ticking.

I'm not a big fan of trade scenarios rn for a few reasons.

I believe we're jumping the gun. Time is on our side with this roster and I think it's due diligence to let this 1st year play out.

I think we're being too quick to typecast everyone, this winning is new to them too.

Need to see what line consistency will bring imo.

Another thing that unnerves me is the cost. I'm sure we can agree Hathaway, Neal, Mangia et.al do not have a lot of trade value. So are we talking Jank, Bennett, Dube, our 1st?

TDL and FA are always where the big mistakes come from.

But not just that. If we get addition, what is the subtraction because we already have enough depth with leftovers.

I just think this is virgin success to build on moving forward. And I want us to be good with longevity, not throw everything we can at it in year 1.

I'd kill for Panarin, but it just isn't practical to start blowing assets already.

It's not that I can't get with you guys on a playmaking center or another RW, but it doesn't have to be in the next few weeks if we can wait and look for better answers.

Why limit our options?

Dube's an excellent playmaker, just takes time.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I actually find experience overrated so that's not really a concern of mine. I don't buy into the idea of adding veterans at the deadline for playoff experience, that was the Frolik and Neal acquisitions so that's been done IMO. 

There are 4 issues I would look at fixing if I were the Flames if the right deal presented itself. None of these would require a big trade and they are listed in order. 

1- Veteran LS depth dman - This is my only must pick up for the deadline. I think you need a good solid 8-10 NHL caliber dmen on your roster if you want to go on a playoff run and I think the Flames are short 1, specifically a LS dman becuae I don't think there is anyone in the A right now you would want up here for any length of time. Rookie mistakes also get magnified in the playoffs and I think we've also seen that while Kylington has some nice attributes he plays a very high risk game. That gets exposed in the playoffs so I think you need to bring in someone here. This is a must for me, but it should not cost very much. 

2- Play making center. I think a big issue with the bottom 6 is it's full of all the same type of player and it lacks a center that can help make others better. All the players in the bottom 6, save for may Derek Ryan, are shoot first players. The bottom 6 lacks the ability to move the puck around and the puck into scoring areas so they are inconsistent in their scoring. Now I also want to be clear I'm NOT of the opinion that the bottom 6 is holding the Flames back. I absolutely believe they could challenge for a cup with their current bottom 6 but I also see a way it could be improved, primarily with the addition of a play making center. There is also the possibility you pick up an upgrade to Backlund on the 2nd line and push him down to the 3rd but I find that unlikely and something i'm less keen on. 

I think the addition of a play-making center would help guys like Bennett, Frolik, Neal get some consistency on the 3rd line instead of only getting it on the 2nd line. 

3- Backup goalie - 2 and 3 alternate for me as it does with Smith play. I can handle the Smith who played against Arizona and Detroit but I can't handle the Smith who played against Boston or St. Louis. I'm still giving him time but if it doesn't turn around this will become number 2 and will be a must acquisition for me. 

4- A RW scoring threat. This is not something I would aggressively pursue, but I would listen to/talk to, teams that are having rough season and maybe there is a buy low option. Guys like Tarasenko or Voracek that previously would not be available could be but I would only listen and see if there is an opportunity to buy low. This is also something that is better served for the end of the season but I so think another legitimate scorer on the RW would go along way here and perhaps an opportunity to get out from the Neal deal too. 

Part of this for me too is I do think the Flames have assets that other teams would like (Dmen, Janko, Bennett etc) and we haven't been able to say that for quite a while. Against i'm not in a rush to move these guys out, but at the same time they've got high end talent here so while I want to keep a certain amount of depth, taking a run also makes a lot of sense to me too. It's a balancing act but worth pursuing IMO.

Well I just listened to BT on Sportnet and it doesn't sound like he is going to tamper to much with the team.

Should we get Valimaki back we should be fine on our LSD, he plays well beyond his years. Stone making it back also provide additional depth come playoffs.

Call me crazy but I think our Goaltending is going to be fine. I fully understand your comments on Smith and agree but there is not much if anyone else out there.

This brings the focus back onto the forwards. Where as you and JTech see Jankowski and Hathaway as the weak links I see Ryan and Czarnik as non factors thus far. Hathaway may blow hot and cold but his game has improved IMO and he is the type we need come playoff time to keep the heat off Tkachuk and even Bennett to keep them out of the box. I would say if you want a vet LSD maybe trade Czarnik for one. As for the top 9 I like where BP has them now but come towards the playoffs maybe try these lines.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal (see if he rises to the occasion)

Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm ( would love to see what these two Swedes could do with Tkachuk)

Bennett, Jankowski, Frolik (more of a defensive aspect but still some secondary scoring here)

Quine, Ryan, Hathaway

Lazar

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But any stat line has other reasons rather than making it black and white. The bottom 6 has been a mishmash, throw some of Smith's fluffy goals in there and maybe that stat is deceiving.

We'll also be doing the same as other teams so if they want to expose our 4th line, they leave there's exposed.

I agree with the games are going to get tighter but we need consistent lines now too.

I believe that has only just started and we've seen some secondary scoring the last few games.

So I'm still patient for a bit, though I know the clock is ticking.

I'm not a big fan of trade scenarios rn for a few reasons.

I believe we're jumping the gun. Time is on our side with this roster and I think it's due diligence to let this 1st year play out.

I think we're being too quick to typecast everyone, this winning is new to them too.

Need to see what line consistency will bring imo.

Another thing that unnerves me is the cost. I'm sure we can agree Hathaway, Neal, Mangia et.al do not have a lot of trade value. So are we talking Jank, Bennett, Dube, our 1st?

TDL and FA are always where the big mistakes come from.

But not just that. If we get addition, what is the subtraction because we already have enough depth with leftovers.

I just think this is virgin success to build on moving forward. And I want us to be good with longevity, not throw everything we can at it in year 1.

I'd kill for Panarin, but it just isn't practical to start blowing assets already.

It's not that I can't get with you guys on a playmaking center or another RW, but it doesn't have to be in the next few weeks if we can wait and look for better answers.

Why limit our options?

Dube's an excellent playmaker, just takes time.

See and I agree that we shouldn't go blow all of our future on a Panarin or a Stone. Those aren't the type of moves I am looking for, I am looking for more secondary type depth. 

In the right trade I would be willing to give up Jankowski, Frolik, Mangiapane, Gillies, a 2nd or later draft pick, junior aged prospects. To give up a 1st, Dube or Kylington I would have to get a player with plenty of talent and term. I would never say that those pieces are untouchable, but I don't think I would give those pieces up for a rental, maybe if there was an extension in place or a condition on a draft pick for an extension.

I like Jankowski, Frolik and Mangiapane but I am not tied to them. Trading Frolik makes sense to me if Peters continues to move him around the lineup, but also I think we might have to move out his contract before next season to sign Tkachuk, Rittich and make other upgrades.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

See and I agree that we shouldn't go blow all of our future on a Panarin or a Stone. Those aren't the type of moves I am looking for, I am looking for more secondary type depth. 

In the right trade I would be willing to give up Jankowski, Frolik, Mangiapane, Gillies, a 2nd or later draft pick, junior aged prospects. To give up a 1st, Dube or Kylington I would have to get a player with plenty of talent and term. I would never say that those pieces are untouchable, but I don't think I would give those pieces up for a rental, maybe if there was an extension in place or a condition on a draft pick for an extension.

I like Jankowski, Frolik and Mangiapane but I am not tied to them. Trading Frolik makes sense to me if Peters continues to move him around the lineup, but also I think we might have to move out his contract before next season to sign Tkachuk, Rittich and make other upgrades.

It appears to me that the 3M line has to stay together now. The whole bottom 9 was all over the map and it looks apparent to me that Backlund's a better player with Frolik.

Backlund doesn't have to worry about being overly D-minded because Frolik does that. That line is so efficient, how don't you?

If that's a 60-70 goal 2nd, we'll be alright.

We really just need Bennett-Jank-Neal knowing each other better I hope. Bennett still has to get better at knowing where the trailers are, for example.

I'd like to see them each start playing to the other guy's strengths. They look pretty individual a lot.

We have issues for sure. I'm just not convinced movement is required. I'm probably wrong. lol

We've all been saying we need to tighten up our game a lot.

I am expecting that any time now.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?

47 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I'm of the firm opinion Frolik wont be here next year ..but that being said I want him for the playoffs so that better be a off season move.  In terms of the other pieces, I would do it for a re-signable Mark Stone .. 

the 1st rounder i'm ok with a good high profile rental

If we could find a playmaking center to make Neal come alive would be awesome 

There's only 15 games left before the TDL; so unless there are injuries or a "too good to pass up" deal to be made, I'd stay with the roster we currently have.

Unless necessary to afford Tkachuk's raise, I'd keep Frolik until next season's TDL.

Stone could well be traded this summer, as there is little sense in paying $3.5M for a bottom pairing D.

Many of us (myself included) believe that Bennett will up his game in the playoffs; but if he can't/doesn't, I'd look at trading him in a summer package deal.

Actually, I can't think of any of the Bottom 6 forwards that I wouldn't trade, just as long as the return was fair.

31 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm of the firm opinion Frolik wont be here next year ..but that being said I want him for the playoffs so that better be a off season move.  In terms of the other pieces, I would do it for a re-signable Mark Stone .. 

the 1st rounder i'm ok with a good high profile rental

If we could find a playmaking center to make Neal come alive would be awesome 

Ouch. We have to re-sign Tkachuk.

How is that going to work?

Rittich is another outlier.

We can't afford Stone.

Tkachuk will not settle for less than $7 per imho.

RFA's have gotten Blockchained for years.

Nylander took a bullet for the cause. Pretty sure Matthews, Marner, Tkachuk are about to be very hard contracts.

I smell more RFA to actually take a stand after Nylander.

And well they should.

They won't be cheap.

Tkachuk was Marner's linemate in London

So yeah, they prolly don't discuss contracts together, and RFA.

Prolly don't even know each other. lol