The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Part my thought process with going for it this year, is that we are legit contenders this year, but there is no guarantee that we will be next year. All it takes is for a Rittich to have an off year or for age to finally catch up to Giordano and we will be back to middle of the pack.

We have great opportunity this year, I think you do whatever you can within reason to win this year.

That being said what does it take to get Charlie Coyle from the Wild. He is big, RHS can play the wing or C, is good play maker, and is on a reasonable cap hit. He has been rumoured to be available for awhile now. I think he would slot in nicely on the 3rd line and is more of a playmaker than Jankowski and can help a Neal find a few more goals.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Ouch. We have to re-sign Tkachuk.

How is that going to work?

Rittich is another outlier.

We can't afford Stone.

Tkachuk will not settle for less than $7 per imho.

RFA's have gotten Blockchained for years.

Nylander took a bullet for the cause. Pretty sure Matthews, Marner, Tkachuk are about to be very hard contracts.

I smell more RFA to actually take a stand after Nylander.

And well they should.

They won't be cheap.

Tkachuk was Marner's linemate in London

So yeah, they prolly don't discuss contracts together, and RFA.

Prolly don't even know each other. lol

first off..its BT.. i no longer worry about his negotiating ability and cap issues 

but we show currently 12M + in space next season , and that's if it doesn't go up -- remove Frolik, now its approx 17M, unload Stone, $20M-- 

I see 7 for Tkachuk, maybe 3 for Rittich... not saying it will be easy , but if he thinks he can make it work , I trust that he can 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

There's only 15 games left before the TDL; so unless there are injuries or a "too good to pass up" deal to be made, I'd stay with the roster we currently have.

Unless necessary to afford Tkachuk's raise, I'd keep Frolik until next season's TDL.

Stone could well be traded this summer, as there is little sense in paying $3.5M for a bottom pairing D.

Many of us (myself included) believe that Bennett will up his game in the playoffs; but if he can't/doesn't, I'd look at trading him in a summer package deal.

Actually, I can't think of any of the Bottom 6 forwards that I wouldn't trade, just as long as the return was fair.

Stone is going to be near impossible to move, he is a 6/7 defenseman, coming off blood clots making $3.5m. I can't see too many teams taking him off our hands.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

first off..its BT.. i no longer worry about his negotiating ability and cap issues 

but we show currently 12M + in space next season , and that's if it doesn't go up -- remove Frolik, now its approx 17M, unload Stone, $20M-- 

I see 7 for Tkachuk, maybe 3 for Rittich... not saying it will be easy , but if he thinks he can make it work , I trust that he can 

I don't wanna be the Avs. Here now, gone tomorrow.

If Rittich continues to trend as a top 10 goalie in the world, 3 will be lowballing.

As I believe, Rfa's are bringing a pushback imho.

The leagues getting younger, the younger want cash.

Not bridges.

Good on them.

30 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think $7m is the low end of what Tkachuk will get. If Nylander got $7m and Draisaitl got $8.5m, Tkachuk will land somewhere in between and probably closer to Draisaitl's number, I would guess $8m myself. I think Rittich will get around $3m on a short term deal. So I see those two costing $11m to $13m by themselves, plus add in Bennett who with a good playoffs could price himself out of Calgary.

14 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think $7m is the low end of what Tkachuk will get. If Nylander got $7m and Draisaitl got $8.5m, Tkachuk will land somewhere in between and probably closer to Draisaitl's number, I would guess $8m myself. I think Rittich will get around $3m on a short term deal. So I see those two costing $11m to $13m by themselves, plus add in Bennett who with a good playoffs could price himself out of Calgary.

Would you do a 5 year of Rittich at 4-4.5 per?

I think I would. Lock some goalie in. We haven't done that for a while.

Keeps playing like this has earned a reward.

Wow, a stable goalie. Whoda thunk?

Long time coming.

I'm of the opinion BT needs to add one forward, likely a depth/bottom 6 and a depth/3rd pair D.

I would look at Brian Boyle up front. Can play wing or be better than 50% in the circle, also having a good season with 12 goals on a team that struggles to score. 100+ games of playoff experience too. The cost shouldn't be too crazy on him, maybe a 3rd?

On the backend, there's not as much to choose from, Gunnarsson, J-Bouw, Benn and Kronwall are the names that stand out.

Could go into the playoffs with

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Boyle-Ryan-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Bouwmeester-Andersson

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm of the opinion BT needs to add one forward, likely a depth/bottom 6 and a depth/3rd pair D.

I would look at Brian Boyle up front. Can play wing or be better than 50% in the circle, also having a good season with 12 goals on a team that struggles to score. 100+ games of playoff experience too. The cost shouldn't be too crazy on him, maybe a 3rd?

On the backend, there's not as much to choose from, Gunnarsson, J-Bouw, Benn and Kronwall are the names that stand out.

Could go into the playoffs with

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Boyle-Ryan-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Bouwmeester-Andersson

I'm missing Valimaki here. lol

Do you know something I don't?

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm missing Valimaki here. lol

Do you know something I don't?

He’s not gonna step in and play playoff games unless there’s injuries. High ankle

sprains are tough, would have been better to just break it, even Crosby struggled coming off of his years ago. Management must feel the same way as every reputable insider has mentioned Treliving is looking for a LHD to play 3rd pair. Maybe it’s not a big name guy maybe it’s Brandon Davidson for a 7th

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Would you do a 5 year of Rittich at 4-4.5 per?

I think I would. Lock some goalie in. We haven't done that for a while.

Keeps playing like this has earned a reward.

Wow, a stable goalie. Whoda thunk?

Long time coming.

I hate giving term to goalies, I think Rittich can be a good goalie for awhile, but I also thought Leland Irving was going to be a starter in the NHL for a long time. Even proven goalies like Schneider can lose their ability seemingly out of nowhere. I think I would do 4 years max for just about any goalie.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I hate giving term to goalies, I think Rittich can be a good goalie for awhile, but I also thought Leland Irving was going to be a starter in the NHL for a long time. Even proven goalies like Schneider can lose their ability seemingly out of nowhere. I think I would do 4 years max for just about any goalie.

Leland Irving? Damn, how am I ever gonna trust your goalie judgment. lol

• Like 2

I heard Dreger on TSN today say Brassard is actually in play. Seems he hasn’t been a fit in Pittsburgh and they’re looking to move him. He’s a UFA at the end of the year, and tends to play big in the playoffs. Might help us shore up center on that third line, but as I mentioned on a previous post, I wouldn’t give up Janko or Bennett for him. I’m thinking Czarnik or preferably Ryan. Brassard may be able to gel with Neal, and if he doesn’t have any better chemistry than what we have going with Neal now, we let Brassard walk at the end of the year. 

Alternatively, if the Wild fall out of the race by the TDL should we consider trading for Eric Staal? $3.5m salary, UFA at the end of the year. The wild have gone 6-4-0 in their last 10 and they’re holding on to the last wild card spot currently by 2 points. 

Admittedly, part of me would really like to see Ferly back for a cup run. I’m just not giving up a first round pick or more for him like Carolina has reportedly been asking. 

I think it would be cool if they could get JBo for a relatively low acquisition cost. I didn't get the impression that he wanted to leave in the first place, but he knew where the team was at at the time. I never liked when they brought guys back in the past, but as I think he'd fit a need, it'd be cool to bring him in while we have a legitimate chance. 

Aside from that, I wouldn't do a whole lot, and I'd be really hesitant to move the first round pick. Obviously you'd like to see guys like Simmonds, Coyle, or Panarin, but I think that they'd be too costly to acquire. TheBrewCrew mentioned Brian Boyle - I could get behind that, too. 

Love. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Leland Irving? Damn, how am I ever gonna trust your goalie judgment. lol

Irving reminds me so much of Jon Gillies in that both had so much hype but you see them play and you know they don't have it.  They both have all the tools like size, agility, speed, etc.  When it came to sixth sense though, Rittich was a guy who showed that in spades.  He just didn't have quick reflexes and was somewhat slow laterally.  Rittich has the toolbox but limited tools.  The other two, what a waste of talent.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I think it would be cool if they could get JBo for a relatively low acquisition cost. I didn't get the impression that he wanted to leave in the first place, but he knew where the team was at at the time. I never liked when they brought guys back in the past, but as I think he'd fit a need, it'd be cool to bring him in while we have a legitimate chance. 

Aside from that, I wouldn't do a whole lot, and I'd be really hesitant to move the first round pick. Obviously you'd like to see guys like Simmonds, Coyle, or Panarin, but I think that they'd be too costly to acquire. TheBrewCrew mentioned Brian Boyle - I could get behind that, too. 

Love. 

JBo is so done but i imagine the price to acquire him would be cheap.  I wouldn't be too excited either way.

Ya Coyle or Neiderreiter would be great but neither are pending UFA and Minny will be in the fight to the end so i don't think they will be sellers.  Staal would be great but again, Minny needs these guys to get into the playoffs.  Minny is setup weird like Philly and LA who have veterans signed long long term and there is an urgency to win now, yet, they should rebuild.

All in all, it's still sort of too early to say who's out of it at this time.

9 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Don’t forget, Talbot was a vezina quality goalie two years ago and might be done. Goalies are voodoo...

You're forgetting the Edmonton factor. Broissot also has crap numbers in the organization. Look at the difference now with a capable team in front of him. I got a feeling Talbot may thrive under different circumstances.  Could be another Dubnyk.

9 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

The optics are that we traded him away for a net loss of the new trade cost?

Argggg.

Foiled again by Feastie.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Lots of talk here about the Oilers getting desperate but it's nothing new i guess. 

Is there a player we can use from the Oilers?

Considering what they have traded better players for in the past, the cost could be low on Poolie and Talbot.

NY is probably dumb enough to trade Hayes for Pulju and a 1st.

Should I say brilliant?

A pending UFA that is often injured (day 2 day now).

Poolie isn't worth much.  His value is only potential, but a guy like Bennett has that as well and isn't worth much.  At least Bennett plays a big boy game.

I would guess the value is at best a late 1st or a prospect D.

Talbot is interesting, but I don't like to trade with them.  Maybe a 3-way deal could work and lower the cost.

No other player moves the needle.

10 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

I would say if both Valimaki and Stone remain question marks start considering someone like JBo. Maybe Mangiapane for Bowmeister.

I would like to take the time leading up to the TDL to see what a line of Bennett, Jankowski and Neal can accomplish before doing anything rash.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I would say if both Valimaki and Stone remain question marks start considering someone like JBo. Maybe Mangiapane for Bowmeister.

I would like to take the time leading up to the TDL to see what a line of Bennett, Jankowski and Neal can accomplish before doing anything rash.

Trading Mangiapane for JBow would irk me.

He's one of our top prospects that is NHL ready or even close.

Lazar for JBow?

Sure.

If we were targeting Panarin, then I would consider the 1st and Mangiapane.

Maybe even the 1st and Bennett.

That would sting a bit, from the loss of a gritty forward, but we get back an elite level scorer.

Panarin can score.

Would change our PP by a lot.

Have to be discussions about re-signing first.

And would need to include a throw-away contract in there.

Stone.

I dont' thikn Jbow is going to cost that much. He hasn't not played well for 2 years now and has hardly played the last 2 years. I think something more like a 3rd/4th round pick, C-C+ level prospect and maybe playing conditions on the pick that can bring it to a 2nd. 

There's questions he's even health enough to bother trading for. 

• Like 1

Just now, cross16 said:

I dont' thikn Jbow is going to cost that much. He hasn't not played well for 2 years now and has hardly played the last 2 years. I think something more like a 3rd/4th round pick, C-C+ level prospect and maybe playing conditions on the pick that can bring it to a 2nd. 

There's questions he's even health enough to bother trading for. 

He's only in discussion because of his experience.

I don't find him to be that good anymore.

STL fans I have talked to think he should retire.

At best, a depth player that could provide some experience to Ras.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's only in discussion because of his experience.

I don't find him to be that good anymore.

STL fans I have talked to think he should retire.

At best, a depth player that could provide some experience to Ras.

Which IMO is all the Flames need. I would love to have Valamki come back and play well or Stone played well on his offside, that's plan A. Plan B would be someone like Jbow. I would have no issue if they picked up a depth dman at the deadline and he never played.