The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Trading Mangiapane for JBow would irk me.

He's one of our top prospects that is NHL ready or even close.

Lazar for JBow?

Sure.

If we were targeting Panarin, then I would consider the 1st and Mangiapane.

Maybe even the 1st and Bennett.

That would sting a bit, from the loss of a gritty forward, but we get back an elite level scorer.

Panarin can score.

Would change our PP by a lot.

Have to be discussions about re-signing first.

And would need to include a throw-away contract in there.

Stone.

I have been wondering about a trade for panarin and trying to come up with solutions, in my mind it would be mangiapane and a 1st, possibly even a d prospect like kylington, and then we get a 3rd coming back. You are also right that there has to be a salary dump for it to work, i thought maybe ryan, although stone would be better. The problem I have with it and I was mad when I realized it, we cant resign him, there just isnt the room. Tkachuk is most likely getting a 8 and 8 year deal, and panarin is going to be similar maybe a 8.5 over 7, and that leaves us no room for bennett, or goalies. Which is frustrating, because that means were all in for a cup and then figure it out. Ah well, not my job, lol.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I dont' thikn Jbow is going to cost that much. He hasn't not played well for 2 years now and has hardly played the last 2 years. I think something more like a 3rd/4th round pick, C-C+ level prospect and maybe playing conditions on the pick that can bring it to a 2nd. 

There's questions he's even health enough to bother trading for. 

In Friedman's 31 Thoughts he mentioned that there were thoughts that JBouw might have gone up on waivers earlier in the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

I have been wondering about a trade for panarin and trying to come up with solutions, in my mind it would be mangiapane and a 1st, possibly even a d prospect like kylington, and then we get a 3rd coming back. You are also right that there has to be a salary dump for it to work, i thought maybe ryan, although stone would be better. The problem I have with it and I was mad when I realized it, we cant resign him, there just isnt the room. Tkachuk is most likely getting a 8 and 8 year deal, and panarin is going to be similar maybe a 8.5 over 7, and that leaves us no room for bennett, or goalies. Which is frustrating, because that means were all in for a cup and then figure it out. Ah well, not my job, lol.

I don't think the cap is a dire situation.  Have assets that can be moved out if necessary.  Smith comes off as a UFA.  Stone is a minor trade or buyout.  Frolik is a minor trade.  Pick up a decent backup for less than $2m and resign Rittich.  Panarin would be tricky, but he's a known scorer.  The tricky thing is balancing skill on the D with cost.  Lots of money spent there, but it's hard to dispute Brodie's year playing with Gio.  Hamonic is a stabilizing force with Hanifin.  The question is where we need Brodie next season.  Too early to tell if Andersson can play top 4.  Right now, he's not a great fit with Hanifin, but that is more on Hanifin needing a stabilizing player like Hamonic.

Trades like Stone and Panarin are not TDL deals to win in the playoffs, or at least should never be done that way.  Make the deal for a long term committment.

I don't think we need to add core type pieces at the deadline, I think we have a good core it's more about getting depth pieces to help our existing core succeed.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Trading Mangiapane for JBow would irk me.

He's one of our top prospects that is NHL ready or even close.

Lazar for JBow?

Sure.

If we were targeting Panarin, then I would consider the 1st and Mangiapane.

Maybe even the 1st and Bennett.

That would sting a bit, from the loss of a gritty forward, but we get back an elite level scorer.

Panarin can score.

Would change our PP by a lot.

Have to be discussions about re-signing first.

And would need to include a throw-away contract in there.

Stone.

Panarin would be great but his agent won't do a new deal before trying FA. Maybe cross's suggestion for JBo is best if needed, a 4rd round pick then we lose nobody.

I seriously would run with the roster we have and see how far they go, make whatever changes in the offseason.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Panarin would be great but his agent won't do a new deal before trying FA. Maybe cross's suggestion for JBo is best if needed, a 4rd round pick then we lose nobody.

I seriously would run with the roster we have and see how far they go, make whatever changes in the offseason.

Columbus is also 2nd in the Eastern Conference, tough decisions for them.

Panarin's a pipe dream for me unfortunately. Would be amazing, but yeah.

I agree, a trade like Panarin isn't happening. First I don't think Jackets will deal him and second it's a pure rental for the Flames. Panarin's probably going to be over 9 mill as a UFA and the Flames cannot afford that unless they want to move Tkachuk, which they shouldn't. Just not a realistic option 

I think one of the potential issues you have with chasing a bigger fish like Stone is debating how much better that makes your team and how much it moves the needle. Flames top 6 isn't the problem, they have one of the best top 6s in the NHL (yes they ahve 2 very good lines), it's their bottom 6 your targeting. In some cases upgrading the bottom 6 can push better guys down but is that the case here? Frolik/Bennett are the 2 guys that would get moved down but both haven't really been able to pull the bottom 6 up (albeit, small sample size) and good chance if you are chasing a big fish 1 of, if not 2, of those guys would need to be in the deal. 

I like Mark Stone and Tarasenko a lot and while i think their acquisitions would look great on paper I do wonder if those are the types of deal that really move the needle, especially when you think of acquisition cost. If you get a bargain you have to listen to it but I would lean towards the philosophy of investigating options that make your bottom 6 better. Stone/Tarasenko might be better left to the off-season, even though I can get behind the idea of going for it this year.

One thing I keep thinking about when people complain about the cap, is I think the flames are faced with a decision this offseason with regards to their D. It's looking like they've got 7 good ones ( i'm still iffy on Kylington but I think he should play at the NHL level) and you've got both Brodie and Hamonic as UFA in 2020. It's highly unlikely you'll be able to re sign both so I think 1 is going to walk so a decision needs to be if your are comfortablekeeping your depth and letting 1 walk for nothing, or do you spend some time looking at a deal this offseason and re coup some assets. 

Obviously this goes beyond the trade deadline, but  it is fodder when you think about acquiring guys like Stone/Tarasenko etc and paying for them plus Tkachuk. There are options. 

41 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Columbus is also 2nd in the Eastern Conference, tough decisions for them.

Panarin's a pipe dream for me unfortunately. Would be amazing, but yeah.

Dang, isn't this the Unrealistic Trade Suggestions thread?

I think he would be open to singning here.

The trade, on the other hand, would be difficult for us to execute.

That's assuming they are convinced they can't resign him.

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree, a trade like Panarin isn't happening. First I don't think Jackets will deal him and second it's a pure rental for the Flames. Panarin's probably going to be over 9 mill as a UFA and the Flames cannot afford that unless they want to move Tkachuk, which they shouldn't. Just not a realistic option 

I think one of the potential issues you have with chasing a bigger fish like Stone is debating how much better that makes your team and how much it moves the needle. Flames top 6 isn't the problem, they have one of the best top 6s in the NHL (yes they ahve 2 very good lines), it's their bottom 6 your targeting. In some cases upgrading the bottom 6 can push better guys down but is that the case here? Frolik/Bennett are the 2 guys that would get moved down but both haven't really been able to pull the bottom 6 up (albeit, small sample size) and good chance if you are chasing a big fish 1 of, if not 2, of those guys would need to be in the deal. 

I like Mark Stone and Tarasenko a lot and while i think their acquisitions would look great on paper I do wonder if those are the types of deal that really move the needle, especially when you think of acquisition cost. If you get a bargain you have to listen to it but I would lean towards the philosophy of investigating options that make your bottom 6 better. Stone/Tarasenko might be better left to the off-season, even though I can get behind the idea of going for it this year.

I agree with your big fish dealing in the offseason. What they will pay Tkachuk seems to be what has to come first in order to set priorities. I would take my chances on the line of Bennett, Jankowski, Neal catching fire rather than bring in an outsider. If they don't what have lost due to our primary firepower coming from lines 1, 2 and our PP. Bennett and Jankowski are doing lots that is helping the team win, All our 4th line has to be is responsible enough not to allow goals and allow some rest for the other lines and they seem to be able to do that. Once BT gets done with Tkachuk, he will have a better idea what other moves make sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Dang, isn't this the Unrealistic Trade Suggestions thread?

I think he would be open to singning here.

The trade, on the other hand, would be difficult for us to execute.

That's assuming they are convinced they can't resign him.

Trust me, he would be #1 on my list.

That's the guy that swings the needle for me.

Massive buts keep me from entertaining it.

I tend to side with JTECH and cross where I'd accept a low cost move(s).

But even then, not sure it's better than what we have.

Don't need the best roster to win a cup, just need to be dynamic on special teams, running 4 lines, consistent goaltending.

I think we're there, now it's just growing into roles imo.

Is player x good enough? Have to find out, maybe they are.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Trust me, he would be #1 on my list.

That's the guy that swings the needle for me.

Massive buts keep me from entertaining it.

I tend to side with JTECH and cross where I'd accept a low cost move(s).

But even then, not sure it's better than what we have.

Don't need the best roster to win a cup, just need to be dynamic on special teams, running 4 lines, consistent goaltending.

I think we're there, now it's just growing into roles imo.

Is player x good enough? Have to find out, maybe they are.

I know what you mean.

The players not putting up a lot of points are a big reason why we aren't #1 in goals this year.

That's not a bad problem to have.

If they find their stride, we would have about 10 players that can score regularly.

Neal, Bennett, Frolik, Janko, Ryan....

If those guys were scoring to their potential (especially consider the chances they get).....

I'm just not sure of the adds that would be better than the Hathaway/Mangiapane/Czarnik.

Not without paying for it in futures.

I must admit that I am not a huge fan of Hathaway, nor have a I ever been. I respect that determination and the work he has put in to get to this point, but at the end of the day I just don't think he is an everyday NHL player. He is a guy that has to hit everything and everyone, every second of every shift, he just doesn't have enough skill otherwise to make him valuable to have in the lineup.

I don't necessarily need to see Jankowski out of the lineup, but he is a guy that needs to be really sheltered 5v5, because he just is not that good in his own end and he doesn't really drive the play offensively.  

As far as forwards those are the areas I would like to see upgraded, and I think between Czarnik and Lazar we have the upgrades on Hathaway. So if we could get a guy to play 3rd line center and move Jankowski to the 4th line LW position, I think our roselter would be much stronger for it, if we could get an offensive 2nd line C without breaking the bank, even better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I must admit that I am not a huge fan of Hathaway, nor have a I ever been. I respect that determination and the work he has put in to get to this point, but at the end of the day I just don't think he is an everyday NHL player. He is a guy that has to hit everything and everyone, every second of every shift, he just doesn't have enough skill otherwise to make him valuable to have in the lineup.

I don't necessarily need to see Jankowski out of the lineup, but he is a guy that needs to be really sheltered 5v5, because he just is not that good in his own end and he doesn't really drive the play offensively.  

As far as forwards those are the areas I would like to see upgraded, and I think between Czarnik and Lazar we have the upgrades on Hathaway. So if we could get a guy to play 3rd line center and move Jankowski to the 4th line LW position, I think our roselter would be much stronger for it, if we could get an offensive 2nd line C without breaking the bank, even better.

Jankowski needs to find a consistent edge to his game tbh. Thinks too much.

Go with your first impression, lol. Play is over when you get to option 2 or 3.

I think that's a problem with the whole line.

And Jankowski isn't good defensively but Bennett is. Definitely a tradeoff.

But to argue your point.

Can that line work? I keep telling myself it can if they would just play and stop over-thinking the worst.

With the roster expansion Hathaway is still good on the PK and drawing penalties.

That's something you want at the bottom of your roster in the playoffs.

We're talking a 12-14 forward that has been good at some defined roles, so maybe we're okay.

The 4 scoring lines talk annoyed me in preseason.

I mean this as a question, not a cut.

Are us fans still holding onto that mindset a bit?

Because imho, it was all the rage.

In leiu of an acquisition (and there are many valid reasons why a trade shouldn't happen), I wonder if Peters would enter the idea of swapping Bennett and Janko and have Bennett play center. The idea of wanting Neal to rebound is sound, as is the idea of those 3 guys together but the problem I have is Janko has really under performed at center. Bennett seems to be able to get that line going to a certain degree, and I just wonder if he could take it 1 step further at center rather than wing. I'm also leaning towards Janko being a better winger than a center where he can just use his longer strides to get up and down the ice quick and in better shooting positions for his shot. Less worry about d zone responsibilities and then trailing the play. 

I personally believe, and numbers back it up, that Bennett performed better at center than Jankowski ever has. I'd try it, as getting a center in here is probably going to be pricey so try your in house options first. I just think what you see is what you get with Jankowski and I don't see how it's going to get better. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In leiu of an acquisition (and there are many valid reasons why a trade shouldn't happen), I wonder if Peters would enter the idea of swapping Bennett and Janko and have Bennett play center. The idea of wanting Neal to rebound is sound, as is the idea of those 3 guys together but the problem I have is Janko has really under performed at center. Bennett seems to be able to get that line going to a certain degree, and I just wonder if he could take it 1 step further at center rather than wing. I'm also leaning towards Janko being a better winger than a center where he can just use his longer strides to get up and down the ice quick and in better shooting positions for his shot. Less worry about d zone responsibilities and then trailing the play. 

I personally believe, and numbers back it up, that Bennett performed better at center than Jankowski ever has. I'd try it, as getting a center in here is probably going to be pricey so try your in house options first. I just think what you see is what you get with Jankowski and I don't see how it's going to get better. 

I think that's fair and I think it would work better.

Neal can go puck support Jankowski, would be good.

He's been shadowing Bennett, a lot.

That move could shake that line up, which can't be a bad thing. Gotta coach it through, shoulda made the switch at practice now, with a few days off for a few weeks.

I can definitely get behind that idea though.

I could see Bennett being a, "do you want to fight or Blockchain", center that escalates intensity. Which we often need.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That move could shake that line up, which can't be a bad thing. Gotta coach it through, shoulda made the switch at practice now, with a few days off for a few weeks.

I can definitely get behind that idea though.

I get the sense that Peters is not big on the idea of Bennett at center as I don't recall a time he's ever deployed him there even in pre season but perhaps i'm missing something. 

Pros and cons to both, but it's something I would do but Peters also seems to like Jankowski at center more than I do. 

I still wonder about a guy like Perron , could play left wing with Neal, they had good chemistry last year . Reasonable contract ($4M)

I know you typically want the center doing the playmaking but based on his stats he does quite a bit of it from the left side anyway 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I get the sense that Peters is not big on the idea of Bennett at center as I don't recall a time he's ever deployed him there even in pre season but perhaps i'm missing something. 

Pros and cons to both, but it's something I would do but Peters also seems to like Jankowski at center more than I do. 

He did say coming in that he really has to see Bennett and work with him.

We can play work in progress a bit longer. They're still options. We haven't needed to show all of our hands which is awesome.

Beaulieu might be ok depth, not sure that he is any better than what we have though.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Beaulieu might be ok depth, not sure that he is any better than what we have though.

I don't think he is and my bigger problem would be is he's mad he isn't playing there would it not be the same thing here?

Watching this Buffalo game, one guy I think might be a good pickup and I wouldn't think would cost much seeing as he is an RFA with ARB rights is Zemgus Girgensons. He is a gritty guy that has size and speed, can kill penalties, he's physical, can play the agitator role, and when you look at his advanced stats it shows that he can push the play in the right direction. He gets absolutely buried on zone starts, starting in the offensive zone 20% of the time but still manages to stay on the positive side of the Corsi (51.71) and scoring chances (51.64).

He could be one of those under the radar type moves that pays dividends. Something like a 4th going the other way?

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

One thing I keep thinking about when people complain about the cap, is I think the flames are faced with a decision this offseason with regards to their D. It's looking like they've got 7 good ones ( i'm still iffy on Kylington but I think he should play at the NHL level) and you've got both Brodie and Hamonic as UFA in 2020. It's highly unlikely you'll be able to re sign both so I think 1 is going to walk so a decision needs to be if your are comfortablekeeping your depth and letting 1 walk for nothing, or do you spend some time looking at a deal this offseason and re coup some assets. 

Ya D is going to be a headache this summer because like you've said, we've got 2 RD going into their final years of their contract and expecting big raises.  That combined with the ageless captain falling victim to being older.  I'm happy developing Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington on the bottom pair but at some point, they should make a jump up and handle more responsibilities.  Moreover, Treliving seems to like one D who can fight and take care of business.  This is neither of these 3 kids.  So maybe a Prout-type of player will always factor into the rotation.

The only thing we have going for us is, Brodie and Hamonic both want to be here in Calgary for family reasons.  I'm expecting a home town discount on both.  

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

These are the growing pains we should expect with the 1st year of a new coach but everyone wants to jump right to a SC now. I would love to see Bennett back at C but with Tkachuk and Neal not simply by moving Jankowski over to LW. Have a line of Frolik, Backlund, Ryan for our next line and drop Jankowski to C the 4th line. BP seems caught up in trying to make things fit vs placing players where they do fit. It may take this season for him to realize he did some things wrong.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya D is going to be a headache this summer because like you've said, we've got 2 RD going into their final years of their contract and expecting big raises.  That combined with the ageless captain falling victim to being older.  I'm happy developing Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington on the bottom pair but at some point, they should make a jump up and handle more responsibilities.  Moreover, Treliving seems to like one D who can fight and take care of business.  This is neither of these 3 kids.  So maybe a Prout-type of player will always factor into the rotation.

The only thing we have going for us is, Brodie and Hamonic both want to be here in Calgary for family reasons.  I'm expecting a home town discount on both.  

I honestly don't really view it as a headache I think it's a good thing because you can probably get 1 of Brodie/Hamonic to sign for a bit of discount (my guess would be Hamonic for reasons you mentioned) and then flip the other one for assets you need. Could be picks to replenish the system or it could be younger/cheaper players that could then fill in some of that depth as guys like Andersson or Valamaki move up. 

These are "problems" only good teams have. 

• Like 2

Well D or F is not the issue for this team the focus should be on a more reliable G 

brovoski (or how ever it’s spelled) in CBJ is suddenly looking open but at what cost is the issue there?  I feel we would over pay but could be a balance trade, but I’m not sure I’d be willing to give up the roster players needed to make that deal, and CBJ would be looking for quality roster players over draft picks giving their season.  However, if there is something that could fit like Ryan, Neail and something else I’d say it may be worth considering but doubt CBJ would be interested even if we retained salary...anyway, definitely not willing to give up Bennett though but some sort of decent reliable G would help and also move out players that are not fitting in, as mentioned above, not that they are not good player they just are not fitting in, they were insurance players but our core took the next step so they are simply not needed is all...

this business of JBow for lazar would be ok, kinda a no risk move or even someone else like that, heck even Neil, for JBow for some D insurance would worth while but not someone like Bennett he’s a year or so away now from breaking out you can see it coming, sadly he was just slow to develop not in like Backlund, not worth the risk in moving just yet IOM..

guess we we shall see why TDL brings hopefully a G and little core changes or future assists (prospects and draft picks definitely not)