The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I am really starting to think a veteran goalie might be the way go at the deadline. Mike Smith just doesn't have it anymore and I am worried about Rittich playing as much as he has.

I think Jimmy Howard might be my 1st choice. He has similar numbers to Rittich on a much worse team, he has 48 games of playoff experience.

Niklas Kronwall would also be high on my list of players to acquire, he has tons of experience and character and he is still a guy that the other team has to worry about when he is the on ice because he can still destroy a player who has his head down.

Not sure what it costs to get both players, probably much more than we are willing to part with.

I wonder if Smith, Kylington, Mangiapane and a 2020 2nd gets us anywhere near. Also is that too much to give up for two rentals.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I think the one thing we can't do is give away the 1st for a rental. If you give up your 1st the player coming back has to have some term IMO. Guys like Schenn or Kreider I would consider giving up a 1st, but I am still not sure I would do it, at least you are getting either for next year as well as these playoffs.

I like the idea of Schenn.  I would do the 1st for him, but have to add some salary going back.

He's got an edge to his game.  Would fit in pretty well, just not sure of who we would have to add in the deal.

Janko?  Probably makes the most sense for STL.

Bennett?  Pretty much know his ceiling for points.  Tough to give up on a 22 year old player.

Frolik?  Salary dump makes sense.  Doubt it does from a STL view.

Czarnik?  Isn;t really fitting in here.  Skilled player, and he might actually break the roster there.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am really starting to think a veteran goalie might be the way go at the deadline. Mike Smith just doesn't have it anymore and I am worried about Rittich playing as much as he has.

I think Jimmy Howard might be my 1st choice. He has similar numbers to Rittich on a much worse team, he has 48 games of playoff experience.

Niklas Kronwall would also be high on my list of players to acquire, he has tons of experience and character and he is still a guy that the other team has to worry about when he is the on ice because he can still destroy a player who has his head down.

Not sure what it costs to get both players, probably much more than we are willing to part with.

I wonder if Smith, Kylington, Mangiapane and a 2020 2nd gets us anywhere near. Also is that too much to give up for two rentals.

I think we have to stay away from Howard as a TDL target.

Too costly.

Really we need to find a depth goalie.

It's as much as a "backup" plan for this year as looking to the future.

I would forgo the extra roster spot for a backup goalie.

Give him spot work.

If he can take the backup reins from Smith, then Smith is your vet as a fallback plan for the playoffs.

Honestly, if Rittich falters in the playoffs we won't be able to recover no matter who the backup is.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I keep hearing that this coming draft is a deep one.   Not sure if it compares to 2003 but it becomes a double edge sword.  I think our late first is going to be worth something as a result of a presumed deep draft but at the same time, a late first is worth hanging onto because first line talent may exist well into the late first round.

I wanna keep the pick because in 3 to 4 years from now we will want players to graduate to the bigs on ELCs, and make a difference. They may even graduate to replace some bigger contracts if needed. 

It scares me to trade away 1st rounders.

Dube looks decent right now. I don’t think he is quite ready. So far I feel he’s as good as Czarnik and I almost think Czarnik is a borderline NHLer. Not the type of player you use for the 4th line but not quite good enough for Top6. 

I almost wonder if Dube tops out as a Ryan. Have to see how he man-ups, fills out as he ages.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think we have to stay away from Howard as a TDL target.

Too costly.

Really we need to find a depth goalie.

It's as much as a "backup" plan for this year as looking to the future.

I would forgo the extra roster spot for a backup goalie.

Give him spot work.

If he can take the backup reins from Smith, then Smith is your vet as a fallback plan for the playoffs.

Honestly, if Rittich falters in the playoffs we won't be able to recover no matter who the backup is.

Right now I can only see us, Carolina and maybe Colorado as teams looking for a goalie like Howard, so think will keep his cost down. Kronwall on the other hand will have plenty suitors.

I think we need a 1B more than a backup, to keep Rittich's minutes in check and keep him as fresh as possible into the playoffs. 

Rittich has been amazing this year and I am not trying to take anything away from him, but it is a legit concern to see show he will handle a significant increase in work load this year.

I don't like the idea of bringing anyone in who could be a threat to Rittich. He's earned it, believe in him and let him go. Just bring in a depth option who is better than smith and play them. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Right now I can only see us, Carolina and maybe Colorado as teams looking for a goalie like Howard, so think will keep his cost down. Kronwall on the other hand will have plenty suitors.

I think we need a 1B more than a backup, to keep Rittich's minutes in check and keep him as fresh as possible into the playoffs. 

Rittich has been amazing this year and I am not trying to take anything away from him, but it is a legit concern to see show he will handle a significant increase in work load this year.

I'm not convinced that Smith is 100% done.

He's not going to be good in 2 games in a row, but I think he can provide some relief now and then.

It's not like we are trying to manage Smith's starts given his injury history.

We are basically a Rittich team, like it or not.  4 loses in 26 starts.  4 OT/SO losses.

20 starts of the remaining games and he's still only playing 46 starts.

I only look to getting a backup as a injury replacement.  You can use him to cut down the workload a bit, especially the last 5 games of the season.

Parsons is finally coming around, and while he is a big game player, he's not near ready.  Gillies may never be,

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not convinced that Smith is 100% done.

He's not going to be good in 2 games in a row, but I think he can provide some relief now and then.

It's not like we are trying to manage Smith's starts given his injury history.

We are basically a Rittich team, like it or not.  4 loses in 26 starts.  4 OT/SO losses.

20 starts of the remaining games and he's still only playing 46 starts.

I only look to getting a backup as a injury replacement.  You can use him to cut down the workload a bit, especially the last 5 games of the season.

Parsons is finally coming around, and while he is a big game player, he's not near ready.  Gillies may never be,

I sometimes wonder if Gillies needs a pair of glasses, or get his eyes checked. He’s bad on the far shots. 

He lets in softies, but settles in after the first period. I had high hopes for him. Then I saw Rittich. 

I think confidence is a big problem 

The goaltending wasn't the way it was drawn up, but it works.

Smith has some game in him. It's been a year of surprises for sure. Most of them good.

Hard to justify changes when we're successful and still progressing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I sometimes wonder if Gillies needs a pair of glasses, or get his eyes checked. He’s bad on the far shots. 

He lets in softies, but settles in after the first period. I had high hopes for him. Then I saw Rittich. 

Ya too bad with Gillies.  And watching Demko do well for the Canucks still has me mad at the Mason McDonald pick.  Thankfully Rittich has arrived to alleviate the pain.  But we could've had our backup answer had we drafted Demko back in the day.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya too bad with Gillies.  And watching Demko do well for the Canucks still has me mad at the Mason McDonald pick.  Thankfully Rittich has arrived to alleviate the pain.  But we could've had our backup answer had we drafted Demko back in the day.

Yup! Horrible choice! 

We could’ve had a 1A/1B tandem.

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Coulda had Larkin instead of Bennett in the same draft. Come see come saw.

There was zero question Detroit was all about Larkin. Amazing how some things seem like set-ups.

But if I could make 1 change in that draft, we still wouldn't have Demko. lol

Not putting down Bennett, but he isn't winning this battle as a C.

Not to waste too much time on this or get too side tracked, but Demko has played 2 NHL games and looked like an OK goalie in the AHL let's not oversell him here. McDonald and Demko were 1/2 on most rankings and depending on what ranking you looked at determined which one was ranked higher so it wasn't as obvious of a choice as it is made out to be.

As far as Gillies goes almost all college goalies have amazing stats and I think that is why he was getting overrated after we drafted him, same can be said for Demko. I don't trust college goalies because their stats are always going to be over blown. If you look at Nick Ellis, Gillies' backup in his last year at Providence, he had even better stats than Gillies the very next season after Gillies left, but now Ellis is already retired from hockey after 2 seasons of pro where he put up similar numbers to Gillies in the AHL. 

I would be fine if we never drafted another college goalie, I think it's a terrible path for goalies, you don't get to play enough games. Players at least get lots time in the weight room in between games, but goalies need games and shots to develop, you don't get that in college.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

He's big but plays small.  The injury derailed his development a bit.  I think he needs a good goalie coach.  Not giving up on him yet, but he's running out of time.  He's 24.  He may never get there, and the Flames only have him under control for one more season.  NHL salary next year.  He's playing badly on a bad AHL team, so I don;t know what they are going to do to change his game.

Ther is no way we should even think about using him this year.  We need a proper backup that could come in for injury relief.  And we seriously need to think about finding someone to help next season.  I would take Parsons over Gillies at this point, but that is still a reach.  He's got game, but not much experience.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't like the idea of bringing anyone in who could be a threat to Rittich. He's earned it, believe in him and let him go. Just bring in a depth option who is better than smith and play them. 

I get that idea, but he also is battler and I think he might raise his game to another level with some competition.

So if not Howard, what about Mrazek? He has .898 save%, but it running at .921 at 5v5, which I am having trouble wrapping my head around. He has a solid playoff track record. He is also Czech like Rittich which might be good for both goalies and they are the same age.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's big but plays small.  The injury derailed his development a bit.  I think he needs a good goalie coach.  Not giving up on him yet, but he's running out of time.  He's 24.

He may never get there, and the Flames only have him under control for one more season.  NHL salary next year.  He's playing badly on a bad AHL team, so I don;t know what they are going to do to change his game.

Ther is no way we should even think about using him this year.  We need a proper backup that could come in for injury relief.  And we seriously need to think about finding someone to help next season.  I would take Parsons over Gillies at this point, but that is still a reach.  He's got game, but not much experience.

We still have Smith. At least those of us who haven't written him off yet.

It's hard to play just in case, imho.

This is what I meant by, "inventing problems".

If it's 50/50, that's not a problem in our 1st year of being a team of reckoning.

Anyone worried we'll be the Expos? That's definitely on my mind.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We still have Smith. At least those of us who haven't written him off yet.

It's hard to play just in case, imho.

This is what I meant by, "inventing problems".

If it's 50/50, that's not a problem in our 1st year of being a team of reckoning.

Anyone worried we'll be the Expos? That's definitely on my mind.

Read my earlier post, where I was saying I think Smith isn;t done.  I was talking about looking for injury depth and next season.

This comment you quoted was about Gillies and not wanting him as injury releaf.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I get that idea, but he also is battler and I think he might raise his game to another level with some competition.

So if not Howard, what about Mrazek? He has .898 save%, but it running at .921 at 5v5, which I am having trouble wrapping my head around. He has a solid playoff track record. He is also Czech like Rittich which might be good for both goalies and they are the same age.

I don;t know what to make of this guy.  He's winning games with a bad SA% and GA, but losing when he's stopping a lot and putting up good numbers.

Maybe the sign of a bad team in front of him unless it's a trackmeet?

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Howard regrouped and reclaimed the 1 role in Detroit over Mrazek.

But he won't be okay as a backup. he'll want starts and potentially(likely) take the spot from Rittich.

Another reason why I say let's take our lumps this year, if they come. Howard's a short-term answer at G, and I've had it up to the moon with that.

In with the new.

Leave it to destiny. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I like Mrzaek and Mcelhinney. Small preference to McElhinney due to experience and I think he may cost less. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I like Mrzaek and Mcelhinney. Small preference to McElhinney due to experience and I think he may cost less. 

Mrazek has played about the same amount of games as McElhinney and has played 10 playoff games to McElhinney's 2. I know that's not what you meant, but just thought I would point that out. 

I like the idea of getting Mrazek mostly because I think he could be part of the goaltending equation past this season.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He's big but plays small.  The injury derailed his development a bit.  I think he needs a good goalie coach.  Not giving up on him yet, but he's running out of time.  He's 24.  He may never get there, and the Flames only have him under control for one more season.  NHL salary next year.  He's playing badly on a bad AHL team, so I don;t know what they are going to do to change his game.

No way would I use him. I don’t know if he could ever be an NHL goalie. 

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Read my earlier post, where I was saying I think Smith isn;t done.  I was talking about looking for injury depth and next season.

This comment you quoted was about Gillies and not wanting him as injury releaf.

I don;t know what to make of this guy.  He's winning games with a bad SA% and GA, but losing when he's stopping a lot and putting up good numbers.

Maybe the sign of a bad team in front of him unless it's a trackmeet?

Isnt BSD at something like .956 when 5vs5?

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Isnt BSD at something like .956 when 5vs5?

.935, tied for 6th for goalies who have played 10 or more games.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JTech780 said:

First off, there is no need for either, we have our own internal options if there was, and no matter, the price you are willing to throw away is ridiculous.... in my view.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JTech780 said:

What level would that be for Rittich  ? I think you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

• Like 1