The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well do you guys think we have the grit in house?  Can we run with,

Lomberg - Hathaway - Quine

Maybe Rychel and Peluso adds to the equation  Does that give us enough? 

I'ts not a concern of mine. Could it be upgraded sure but i'm more about speed/skill then I am grit. I know everyone will quote to me how the playoffs are "different' and "big boy hockey" but I don't just agree. Use to be, but it gets reduced every year IMO and Vegas showed us that but I also respect others have a different take on that so my answer contains some bias. 

If they can bring in someone who is effective and can play 5 on 5 for a fair price i'm willing to do it but I don't think it's worth overpaying for. If the Flames don't win the cup I just have a hard time seeing the narrative being they weren't physical enough because i've yet to walk away from a game this year and say the Flames got beat up physically. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'ts not a concern of mine. Could it be upgraded sure but i'm more about speed/skill then I am grit. I know everyone will quote to me how the playoffs are "different' and "big boy hockey" but I don't just agree. Use to be, but it gets reduced every year IMO and Vegas showed us that but I also respect others have a different take on that so my answer contains some bias. 

If they can bring in someone who is effective and can play 5 on 5 for a fair price i'm willing to do it but I don't think it's worth overpaying for. If the Flames don't win the cup I just have a hard time seeing the narrative being they weren't physical enough because i've yet to walk away from a game this year and say the Flames got beat up physically. 

Nice guys don't win Cups.  You need to be a bit dirty.  You need guys hitting a little bit high, a little bit late, and leaving the ice a little bit.  Just on that edge that makes the other team feel just a little bit uncomfortable.

Not necessarily a Tom Wilson but we need players willing to be that guy.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would like to simply see them bring Quine back up for the 4th line.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nice guys don't win Cups.  You need to be a bit dirty.  You need guys hitting a little bit high, a little bit late, and leaving the ice a little bit.  Just on that edge that makes the other team feel just a little bit uncomfortable.

Tkachuk or Bennett don't do that?

who did that for Pittsburgh for their two cups? Who did it for Chicago?

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tkachuk or Bennett don't do that?

who did that for Pittsburgh for their two cups? Who did it for Chicago?

We just need to know nobody did it for Vegas.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

We just need to know nobody did it for Vegas.

ok so recency bias. Fair.  That isn't the narrative I took away from the playoffs. 

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

ok so recency bias. Fair.  That isn't the narrative I took away from the playoffs. 

While I am not terribly excited about trades at this point, Anaheim might make our lives more difficult (should we see them in the playoffs) unless we have more grit. Having said that, some people believe that bigger guys can weather the playoffs better. I have always thought smaller players are better in this regard. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That is beyond bizarre.

I get the connection and TBH who wouldn;t want the 2014/15 version of Ferlie on their team.

Or a 20 goal scorer from last year and this year.

Trading back to us makes tille sense.

They lost a young D-man and a quality Selke capable C.

They may end up trading Dougie as well.

Asset management I guess.

The return for Ferlie may eclipse that for Dougie, inless Chia is making the deal,

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That is beyond bizarre.

I get the connection and TBH who wouldn;t want the 2014/15 version of Ferlie on their team.

Or a 20 goal scorer from last year and this year.

Trading back to us makes tille sense.

They lost a young D-man and a quality Selke capable C.

They may end up trading Dougie as well.

Asset management I guess.

The return for Ferlie may eclipse that for Dougie, inless Chia is making the deal,

I’m gonna guess that Carolina won’t trade Ferland here unless it’s a stupid offer from BT. The optics of it would look horrible for the Canes if they sent Ferland back here

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Bennett, Tkachuk, Hathaway. Gio and Hammer can definitely step up into that as well if needed.

I am even more on the Mrazek train now after last night's game. If we can get him for Smith and 4th or even a 3rd I would do it right now. I am not too sure that Carolina would do it though as they are running Mrazek as their number 1 right now.

I think my other target is a long shot to acquire, but I think Zemgus Girgensons would be a fantastic pick up and I don't think he would cost a lot. It just comes down to if Buffalo becomes a seller at the deadline or not, they are 4 points out as of today. Girgensons is a RFA at the end of the year, so we could retain his rights. I wonder if Mangiapane and a 5th would get it done. Girgensons fills more of hole/need than Mangiapane.

I would also like to get Bouwmeester for the 3rd pairing, again hopefully the cost isn't too high. If we can get him for a 3rd or 4th I probably swing that deal as well.

Mrazek is probably not available.  Carolina still thinks they have a shot at the post-season, and until that ship truly sails, they aren't trading their best tender.  I would definitely poke around for free agency though...

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am even more on the Mrazek train now after last night's game. If we can get him for Smith and 4th or even a 3rd I would do it right now. I am not too sure that Carolina would do it though as they are running Mrazek as their number 1 right now.

I think my other target is a long shot to acquire, but I think Zemgus Girgensons would be a fantastic pick up and I don't think he would cost a lot. It just comes down to if Buffalo becomes a seller at the deadline or not, they are 4 points out as of today. Girgensons is a RFA at the end of the year, so we could retain his rights. I wonder if Mangiapane and a 5th would get it done. Girgensons fills more of hole/need than Mangiapane.

I would also like to get Bouwmeester for the 3rd pairing, again hopefully the cost isn't too high. If we can get him for a 3rd or 4th I probably swing that deal as well.

The last two were similar games (EDM and CGY).  I thought he played well in both.

Give them Gillies or MacDonald or Schneider and waive Smith.

Just kidding.  That would be a dick move.

I would however trade one of the above to them.

Don't have to send down Smith.

Let him sail off gracefully.

Give him some starts.

At some point, the roster numbers don't matter.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The last two were similar games (EDM and CGY).  I thought he played well in both.

Give them Gillies or MacDonald or Schneider and waive Smith.

Just kidding.  That would be a dick move.

I would however trade one of the above to them.

Don't have to send down Smith.

Let him sail off gracefully.

Give him some starts.

At some point, the roster numbers don't matter.

well they do need to make a decision on Gillies sooner than later .

He's one way next season and waiver eligible , and I suspect he'd get claimed

If they're comfortable pencilling him in as the backup next season then fine (and we can debate that elsewhere )..otherwise he needs to be on the trade block 

If you feel you can get Mrazek resigned for less than $2M.. id make that trade right now 

I agree they are not trading him right now but it's worth monitoring. They are 6 points out despite playing some great hockey as of late and have played an extra game. Even a small skid, or a let down, and your looking at double digit out by the trade deadline and that's usually too big a hill to climb. 

Might make McElhinney available though and i'm good with that, but longer they stay in the less of a chance they deal either as I think there is a lot of pressure for them to make the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

well they do need to make a decision on Gillies sooner than later .

He's one way next season and waiver eligible , and I suspect he'd get claimed

If they're comfortable pencilling him in as the backup next season then fine (and we can debate that elsewhere )..otherwise he needs to be on the trade block 

If you feel you can get Mrazek resigned for less than $2M.. id make that trade right now 

I actually think Gillies wouldn’t get claimed, but I’ve been wrong before, Paul Byron...

Gillies is having a horrible season in Stockton and at 25, I don't see how he's going to turn it around.  I feel time has run out on him.  Every time he's been given a chance at the NHL, he's looked below average.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130895

I question if we should even bring him back next season. 

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Gillies is having a horrible season in Stockton and at 25, I don't see how he's going to turn it around.  I feel time has run out on him.  Every time he's been given a chance at the NHL, he's looked below average.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130895

I question if we should even bring him back next season. 

How much of his salary will go towards the Cap since he’s on a one-way next year, if he’s sent to the AHL or ECHL?

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

How much of his salary will go towards the Cap since he’s on a one-way next year, if he’s sent to the AHL or ECHL?

I believe only players making over $900k count towards the cap.

EDIT: I think that's the magic number Brett Kulak was fighting for and got it.  Thus BT traded him.

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

None. His salary is below the threshold for counting against the cap. Should be about 1.025 Million next year so anything over that counts on the cap. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Really glad this trade didn't happen.

There were so many moving parts there, it's been widely reported there was dialogue. This is just another wrinkle, we all have heard Flames wanted Puljujarvi, CBJ wanted Dubois and EDM wanted Sergachev. However VAN was the wildcard and they really liked Dubois so nothing materialized. 

Either way that trade would have been a disaster

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Really glad this trade didn't happen.

But I love seeing they were high on Keller also.

All things considered, if we ended up with Pulji, not Tkachuk, it would have been a good trade.

But evidently we would have gone Keller.

Safety net. lol

On 1/22/2019 at 9:49 AM, cccsberg said:

Smith is fiery and demands a lot of himself, and others.  Is that attitude a detriment to the room, or is it the driver to enhanced, more focused play we are seeing this year across the board?  I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure replacing Smith WILL have an effect broadly in the room and it WILL NOT be so simplistic as replacing whatever stats "X" new goalie has for Smith's stats, like many on here seem to assume.

Ive been thinking the exact same thing. I think replacing Smith would have a negative effect on the team right now. Even in games where he’s giving up soft ones, the team seems to rally around him to show him they’ve got his back. 

• Like 1